Jun

Yankees place Freddy Garcia on bereavement list, recall Ryota Igarashi

The Yankees have place Freddy Garcia on the bereavement list and recalled Ryota Igarashi from Triple-A. Garcia is returning home to Venezuela following the death of his grandfather, so condolences to him and his family. He can remain on the bereavement list for up to eight days. Igarashi was claimed off waivers a little more than a week ago and is expected to arrive in the Bronx in time for first pitch. He threw 18 pitches in Triple-A just last night.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Tim Davis says:

R.I.P. to his grandfather

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

Best wishes home, sweaty one.

3. pat says:

Igarashi is intriguing. He was hitting 95-96 his first game at Scranton.

4. Cuso says:

Freddy’s no spring chicken. His grandfather had to be upwards of 90. This is a strange one for bereavement list. Rarely hear one for a grandparent unless it’s like the grandparent -who-raised-you type deal.

Hate to sound insensitive, but I doubt that I’m the only person thinking it.

Seems a little opportunistic. Am I way off base, here? Is this the Yankees trying to take advantage or Freddy just unhappy with his status and saying “let me just take off for a while?”

Understand, I’m not outright discounting the relationship or his loss. Just pointing out what many people have in the back of their mind but might not say for concern of being an insensitive prick.

• Bunt Gardner says:

People are granted bereavement leave for grandparents all the time.

Condolences to Garcia and his family.

• Cuso says:

People are, yes. You don’t hear about MLB players requesting it for grandparents all too often.

That comment added nothing without specific examples.

• Erica says:

Grandparents are special people. If Freddy wants to take time off to mourn his loss, he should be allowed to. Not sure why anyone would even have a flicker of a thought like, “I hate being here and I’m going to exploit my grandpa’s death.” Nope.

• Cuso says:

Ok. I guess I’m clearly the only one. I loved my grandparents too.

But if he is gone the full 8 days, I’m skeptical.

• Boomer's Boy says:

Really dude? WOW… The guy’s grandfather passed away and you question his bereavement process or even if it’s legit. Shame on you…

• Cuso says:

Like I said, I’m the only one that thought that was possibly opportunistic.

I promise I will go straight to hell when my number is up.

• Steve (different one) says:

I think you are off base. I mean, nothing would surprise me in yankeeland, but I am sure that Garcia is really going to Venezuela to attend his grandfather’s funeral….

• DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Well Freddy is 36 or so, so a couple of pregnancies at age 19/20 would mean his grandparents could be 75-80. Gotta believe it.

More plausible than cutting his pitching finger while slicing food in the kitchen.

• BK2ATL says:

Cuso-

You’re wayyyyy offbase. It’s a different culture, one that apparently you discount, or are just being ignorant of.

It’s very possible that his grandfather was the first one to put a baseball in his hands. It’s very possible that his grandparents helped Fredy’s parents to raise him. It’s very possible that his grandfather went to all of his games as a kid and encouraged him to keep going. Maybe, just maybe, they had a bond. That crosses all cultures.

It’s more than possible that his grandfather is only in his late 70s to 80s. (For example, grandfather had Fredy’s mom/dad at 22, Fredy’s mom/dad had him at 22 (44), Fredy’s 35 (79).

If you got a beef with Fredy, that’s on you. He’s done absolutely nothing, but be a true pro during his stay in the Bronx.

To accuse him of being “a little opportunistic” over the death of his grandfather, says a lot more about you, than about Fredy. To me, that’s just a low blow though.

• Cuso says:

Yes. I’m wayyyyyy ignorant. Thank you for setting me straight.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Grandparents mean a lot in a lot of cultures, whether it’s mine, yours, or Cuso’s.

I think he’s overthinking it, but let’s not get too crazy over a blog comment. I’m sure Freddy would pull down his pants and take a sweaty dump on all our opinions here.

• Frank says:

That’s just a terrible visual.

• BK2ATL says:

Exactly.

Overthinking it would be something like, maybe Girardi shouldn’t have left Nova out there last night for the 9th. Or maybe, the where should Tex bat vs. Price discussion.

To suggest that someone who’s handled himself like a true pro is using his grandfather’s death as an opportunity to get away from his team, sounds pretty scuzzy to me. I wonder what he’d say if it were A-Rod or Soriano, players who’ve really done nothing bad, but some fans just have negative opinions of.

That being said, knowing a little bit about Caracas, VZ, I’m sure Fredy dripped a trail of sweat from the moment he left that plane throughout that airport. Jejeje!!!

5. Dropped Third says:

Wow this thread turned ugly….

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t know about ugly. A bit of fellow commenter compassion and sick humor has saved this from the abyss.

6. Kiko Jones says:

My condolences to “El Jefe” and his family.