Jul

2012 Draft: First rounder Ty Hensley to sign with Yankees

11:38pm: Via Callis, Hensley signed for a below-slot $1.2M. Chase Parham has some more on the MRI and shoulder issue, saying the right-hander was (and remains) completely asymptomatic and without pain. The Yankees have $615,910 of draft pool money — plus the $100k exemption for players drafted after the tenth round — left to spend before Friday’s deadline.

11:01pm: Via Jim Callis, the two sides had agreed to a slot bonus before a pre-signing MRI showed “abnormalities” in Hensley’s shoulder. Still no word on his bonus or said abnormalities.

10:44pm: Via K. Levine-Flandrup, first rounder Ty Hensley has decided to sign with the Yankees. No word on his bonus yet, but he was slotted for $1.6M and the team was able to pay him up to $1,815,910 without forfeiting a future draft pick. Earlier this week we heard that the two sides had already completed negotiations, but Hensley was still debating whether to turn pro or follow through on his commitment to Ole Miss. Hensley confirmed the deal on Twitter.

A high school right-hander from Oklahoma, Hensley was set to wind up with the Rockies as the tenth overall pick until RHP Mark Appel fell to the Pirates with the sixth pick, leaving OF David Dahl on the board for Colorado. Everything you need to know about the kid is right here. Hopefully Hensley will get a few Rookie ball innings in over the next few weeks, that would be neat. All of the team’s draft picks can be seen at Baseball America, and you can keep track of the draft pool situation with our Draft Pool page. The deadline to sign picks is 5pm ET on Friday.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. JobaWockeeZ says:

Good stuff. He had to be a sign when the fans, analysts and front office actually agreed.

2. @ggooglyboogly says:

Glad to hear it, hopefully we dont lose a pick next year

3. SDM says:

Huge, huge sign

Welcome to the Yankees Hensley, let’s see if your a man of your word.

4. YanksFanInBeantown says:

Shit, now I have to clean off my keyboard…

5. DERP says:

Anyone have any bonus predictions?

I will guess slot.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, I’ll guess the same. And that they get Ty Moore and Jose Mesa Jr with the overage (might as well be optimistic… I won’t go Vincent Jackson optimistic).

6. Ted Nelson says:

I assumed he would. Wonder what the bonus is… hope they have some overage to throw at a late rounder or two.

7. chris ginn says:

excellent news. hopefully he signed for slot or just under it. maybe that was the hold up – maybe yanks offered him just under slot. i hope there’s some left-over money – i’d still love to get jackson, mesa or moore in that order.

8. yooboo says:

Jose Mesa Jr will sign too. Does it mean Yanks pay Hensley 1 million? lol.

9. yooboo says:

2m left to cover Mesa Jr and Moore? cool.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Where are you getting 2M left?

• yooboo says:

included number without forfeiting next year’s first round pick.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

They had about 1.8M left including the 5% overage. They didn’t have 2M left before Hensley signed. If his bonus was 1.2M, that leaves about 0.6M left.

• Ted Nelson says:

Don’t know that those two would require nearly that much anyway. Maybe those two anD Jackson if it were $2 mill.

If the $1.2 figure is true they have like $600k plus the $100k exceptions. Wonder if $700k gets Jackson…

• yooboo says:

Apologies… internet slow down fried my brain.

600k and change to use up…indeed.

10. chris ginn says:

glad it was announced / agreed today. if there is left-over money it gives the yanks some serious time (a day) to get some of those late rounders signed.

11. JohnnyC says:

Jim Callis reporting Hensley got slot – 1.6 million.

12. yooboo says:

lol… another source said it is 1.6m SB and the pick is worth 1.2m.

1.6m in and 2m to use up.

13. DERP says:

Well shit

14. DERP says:

Could Callis be any more confusing?

First he says he signed and then he said the 1.6 wad before the mri

two different people.

damn internet.

I mean Hensley was all set for 1.6m until the mri finding but he still got 1.6m anyway.

Now I am confused.

Yanks pay Hensley 1.2m not 1.6m.. It would make sense because why wait too long for same amount as prior to the mri finding.

2.4m left?

• Ted Nelson says:

Something like $615k left I believe.

• yooboo says:

lol… why the hell did I do that. 2m? oh boy!

• Mike Axisa says:

Plus the $100k that doesn’t apply to the draft pool. If they can get one of Jackson or Moore for $715k, that would be huge.

• yooboo says:

we are just focusing on $$ that counts against the pool

Mesa Jr said he would sign the deal tomorrow right after Hensley signing. Does it sound like he will get those number of 715k?

• Ted Nelson says:

For some reason I see Moore signing for less than that, but that’s a total guess. Just strikes me as a baseball junkie who would take $350k-$500k or maybe less, but I may easily be way off because I’m pulling that out of my butt.

Would definitely take him for all the $ left on the table if that’s what it takes. I was hoping for Hensley to take $1-1.2 when he was drafted, but obviously didn’t see it playing out this way.

• Carl LaFong says:

Couldn’t agree Moore although I’d be just as happy signing Vince Jackson. If splitting what dough we’ve got left 50/50 wouldn’t get it done w/either or both of them, I’d offer both of them every dime left in the pool & whichever one bites first is the one I’d sign. They’re both really good baseball prospects & w/some luck & a little time could both pan out big time. Jackson’s got the potential for major pop, but at this moment, Moore’s the more polished ballplayer.

• Carl LaFong says:

Thinking about it for a few minutes, they should be burning up the lines to sign this kid Vince Jackson. He’ll have to work hard to tap into all that talent, learn how to pull the ball to take advantage of that ridiculous rightield porch, but if he does, he can be a true superstar in rightfield for the Bombers for a long long time to come. He already has a great arm & fits as a rightfielder like he was born to be one. This Jackson kid is the one guy left I really want the most!

• YankeeGrunt says:

Jackson gets some good reviews, but we have signed toolsy outfielders before and had them flop (Chris Smith, not much from Justin James so far this year), they’re not sure things. And this isn’t like watching David Wilson or Trent Richardson, we’re basing our valuations on someone else’s evaluations or, more likely, on someone else’s paraphrasing of someone else’s evaluation.

• I Live In My Mom's Basement says:

“Couldn’t agree Moore”? LOL.

15. DERP says:

Even if we can Moore and Mesa with the savings I’d rather save the pick for next year than get an injured player

• crawdaddie says:

Unless you have access to his medicals, I trust the Yankees to make a better judgement of that than you.

• Ted Nelson says:

Pretty hard to play webMD here. Clearly the Yankees are willing to let questionable shoulders go unsigned after last season, so I have to guess they felt comfortable he was as good or better than what they’d get next year.

If it’s really 400k they saved under slot I could maybe even see Jackson signing. Or maybe several of Moore, Mesa, Dalton Smith, and a guy or two we assume wasn’t signing like Stewart or Rhymes or Farmer or whoever if they up their offers.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Dr. Yooboo feels otherwise.

Sam Stafford probably makes for an excellent differential diagnosis here.

We’ll see what this is about when more info comes out. For now, though, I’m glad this got done and that this kid is in the fold.

• YankeeGrunt says:

And yet somewhere along the way we ended up with a legit lefty starter or two at every level from rookie ball up to AA. Go figure.

• yooboo says:

Since the picks will be low in the first round, it still is a good chance that Yanks draft another potential injured pitcher or hitter.

• Voice of Reason says:

There will be plenty of uninjured players available with the 30th pick, I assure you.

I know. lol

I don’t think MLB is allowed to examine medically on players like NFL has done for many years.

Only medical records will be prevailed via HS or college. Once a team drafts a prospect then the team has rights to review everything related to the prospect.

That is from my understanding.

• RetroRob says:

So you want to give up on Hensely and Moore and Mesa just for the potential of signing another pick next year?

Hmmmm, I understand where you’re coming from, but it brings up another interesting question. Knowing that losing Hensley would also result in the loss of potentially Moore and Mesa, I wonder if the Yankees would have signed Hensley at all under the old CBA rules? They might have let Hensely go and then focused their money on Moore and Mesa in past years, where in 2012 then must sign Hensely just to have a chance at Mesa and Moore.

16. Larch says:

BA says only 1.2 of 1.6 slot. Maybe They can sign Moore or Jackson now. Got about 24Hrs.

• yooboo says:

less than 24 hours for sure. lol 5 and a half passing the deadline.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, have to imagine that $616k plus the $100k exception(s) will get one or more other guys signed.

• JohnnyC says:

Ty Moore tweeted that he declined the Yankees’ offer. But maybe part of the 615K can go to sweetening his deal.

• YankeeGrunt says:

Moore isn’t signing. Mesa is. The ship sailed on Jackson awhile ago. Probably one or two more under the radar guys.

• Voice of Reason says:

I dunno what these guys’ backgrounds are, but my ship would sail right back into port if they came at me with an extra 400 Gs

• Ted Nelson says:

You must know Opp and Cashman really well or something.

• YankeeGrunt says:

Or Jackson said definitively a month ago that he wasn’t signing, and IIRC DO even acknowledged that in an interview. Stranger things have happened, sure, but that doesn’t mean this will.

• Ted Nelson says:

Jackson is an especially tough sign with the football, but all of these guys have a price. An additional $400k might allow the Yankees to hit one (maybe that’s Mesa, but maybe they’ve gone back to a Stewart or Moore if that’s who they prefer… I’m not taking Mesa’s twitter as definitive proof). Even Cole said he had a price he’d have signed for (don’t remember the figure, but it was really high).

17. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

You’d think teams would demand an MRI of a pitchers shoulder BEFORE they drafted him like they do in the NFL and NBA.

• Mike Axisa says:

They can’t. That’s part of the reason why players have to declare for the NBA and NFL drafts.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

From the information in the article, I’m completely fine with the franchise taking the guy on. A ton of a talent and some risk. Still a young draft pick who has to work his way through the system. There’s a million reasons, injury or not, why a prospect this young won’t make it. When everything else looks as good as this, it’s a no-brainer to take on the risk, especially if there’s no injury history as of yet.

Welcome to the greatest sports franchise in the world, Mr. Hensley.

• yooboo says:

It is the smartest thing to do. College will make worse on arm.

• Fernando says:

Shows that Hensley was being honest when he said that he wanted to sign right away. The delay ended up being the result of the MRI findings. Hope they can get a few more guys signed, even one of the lottery tickets (VJax, Mesa, Moore or Stewart).

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Very interesting. I wonder if the Yankees may have used some subtle MRI abnormality to their favor getting Hensley to sign a below slot deal so they could use the savings to sign other players.

• Rich in NJ says:

He has an agent and the ability to get a second opinion, so I think it’s reasonable to believe that Hensley signed with full knowledge of the true nature of the abnormality.

• Carl LaFong says:

If I’m remembering my Yankee lore correctly, didn’t the Bombers sign Joe DiMaggio after he’d injured his leg real badly stepping out of a jitney or some such thing when he played for the San Francisco Seals, & other teams shied away from signing him as a result? The Yankees signed him cheaper than they’d intended, & the rest, as they say, is history. Now, not only do we get our #1 pick, we get him w/a substantial savings, & just maybe we add at least one of Vince Jackson or Ty Moore. Sounds like a win-win.

• Ted Nelson says:

From the article Tom linked to below, it seems like no one knows te true nature od the abnomality. His shoulde is just built abnormally. Could be nothing, could be huge. Yankees just told him they feel it increases their risk and reduces his value.

18. ThisIsBaseball says:

I bet he just got R.A. Dickey’d by the Yankees.

19. yooboo says:

jose mesa jr is our. Yanks are set to announce anytime.

20. Jeff says:

I think this at the very least says something about the new CBA when it comes to the draft…

Jim Callis ?@jimcallisBA
    Last year, 98 of 331 players in first 10 rds were unsigned as #mlbdraft deadline day began. This year, it’s 17 of 338.

• yooboo says:

I am happy to know because I am kind of liking the draft pool. If Yanks still win within tight budget, people can’t say Yanks buy championship anymore. lol.

• RetroRob says:

The real question is how many were signed at the end of deadline draft day last year and how many will be signed tomorrow. It doesn’t matter to me how many sign on Thursday or Friday. It’s the final number. I’ll be interested to see what that is tomorrow to compare with recent years.

21. Reggie C. says:

Is the Jose Mesa Jr a prospect as a pitcher or hitter? Where did he rank on BA’s big board?

22. Andrew Brotherton says:

Pitcher, 127Ks in 74 innings, He is a serious talent. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/.....29439.html

• YankeeGrunt says:

He touches 94 and has some developing breaking stuff, could be a nice signing but too early to get that excited about it.

23. lightSABR says:

I have to like the statement the kid released. Who knows? Maybe he even wrote some of it? :)

24. RetroRob says:

Wow, that was an alarmingly fast degeneration of headlines! Beyond the $1.2 million, it’s certainly a acceptable risk on both sides, especially for Hensley. Take the money and run. Who knows what the future holds.

25. Brian S. says:

Shoulder abnormalities? Like inflammation?

26. The “shoulder abnormalities” scare me obviously, but if the doctors don’t think they won’t be a long term problem whatever, with how hard it is to make it to the show anyway and everything that could go wrong I guess it’s not the biggest deal. However I think the draft is in need of a major reformation to make it similar to the likes of the NFL Draft, players declare and are eligible, and get medical work ups before being drafted. Leave it so high schoolers can still decide on going onto college, but it’s kind of unfair for teams to just blindly select a kid who might need Tommy John and not know it for example.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t think the doctors know. “Abnormality” is such a vague word. All it means is there is something different about his shoulder compared to others. One advantage of having all prospects cleared medically prior to the draft, and to have MRIs, is there would be a database doctors could review going back decades to see if pitchers with similar abnormalities are more prone to injury/surgery. They might discover just the opposite. Perhaps they’ll see pitchers with shoulders similar to Hensely’s are less likely to suffer an injury.

27. Beaniedemon says:

Dr. James Andrews, a widely known sports medicine orthopedist in Gulf Breeze, Fla., wanted to test his suspicion that M.R.I.’s, the scans given to almost every injured athlete or casual exerciser, might be a bit misleading. So he scanned the shoulders of 31 perfectly healthy professional baseball players.
    Dr. James Andrews found that M.R.I.’s can mislead.
    The pitchers were not injured and had no pain. But the M.R.I.’s found abnormal shoulder cartilage in 90 percent of them and abnormal rotator cuff tendons in 87 percent. “If you want an excuse to operate on a pitcher’s throwing shoulder, just get an M.R.I.,” Dr. Andrews says.

• 28 this year says:

Exactly. And its not hard to think that a pitcher’s arm is going to be a little abnormal cause only so many people can throw 94+.

• RetroRob says:

True, although it’s not as if teams are reporting that 90% of the MRIs they take on amateurs are showing issues, so there must be something a bit more unusual in Hensley’s test to give the Yankees pause.

28. LarryM.,Fl. says:

The kid sounds very mature. Also, I believe he made the correct choice to sign. If he can’t pitch down the road. He has plenty of money to get his degree. As opposed to college route directly. Ole Miss may honor the scholarship if he comes up lame but he has no money and may or may not have a degree. It all comes down to the money and chasing a dream. Good Luck to him. I hope to see him in the Bx. in 3/4 years.

29. A.D. says:

Sounds like win-win for the Yanks, get a top talent at below slot because of an “abnormality” that may have no impact on his career, and hasn’t had an impact to date

30. JohnC says:

great news to wake up to. Getting Mesa also is an added bonus. Now if they could somehow get Jackson, Moore or Stewart with the remaining pool money that would complete and awesome haul in this draft. Lets not also dismiss 36th rounder, catcher Dalton Smith who Levine calls ‘an intriguing potential impact bat’.

31. Phil Linz' Harmonica says:

So Mr. Hensley & his shoulder becomes a Yankee on Friday the 13th… as did Michael Pineda on Friday, January 13th 2012… Spooky, no?

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Ooooo… and Kennedy’s secretary was Lincoln and Lincoln’s secretary was Kennedy.

• RetroRob says:

He actually agreed last night, the 12th. Who knows. Maybe he purposely made the announcement last night so it wasn’t Friday the 13th!