Jul

Cashman: Mariano Rivera will not return this year

It was always a long shot, but Brian Cashman officially crushed any hope of Mariano Rivera returning this season during an appearance on MLB Network Radio this morning. “No … He’s not coming back this year and I wish he was, I wish he was, but unfortunately people get excited,” said Cashman.

Rivera, who had surgery to repair a torn right ACL in June, is using a doctor and physical therapist approved by the team. Earlier this month the rehab folks came out and said Mo could return this year because he was going so well, but Cashman called that “unprofessional” and “not a fair reflection of where this player’s at.” He basically accused them of wanting to get their name in the spotlight, which may or may not be true. Either way, getting Rivera back lack in the season was always a pipe dream. At least now we can stop getting our hopes up.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Lloyd Christmas says:

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

2. RI$P FTW says:

That’s weird. You’d figure ‘God’ could heal quicker.

3. OMG! Bagels! says:

Cash is in major ninja beast mode this week. Send MFIKY to the PT people and then we’ll see what happens.

4. yooboo says:

It took him 14 days to dismiss this rumor and called it unprofessional? That is hilarious.

Anyways, I would love to witness Rivera reaching 700 mark. 31 saves per year for 3 years make it happen. He is already 42 years old. Is it possible to fetch this feast?

• gc says:

Was he even ASKED about it before now? Or did you expect him to give a press conference on the day when the doctor made his comments? He’s been pretty silent lately, and now that he made this trade, he’s been giving interviews and people ask him all sorts of things. But I digress. You think he’s a dick and this is just more fuel to your fire.

5. MannyGeee says:

It’s all for the best anyhow. Soriano could never untuck after the 7th inning… That would just be…… Weird.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

“……but let me introduce you to the masked IFA I just signed, only known as ‘El Panamenio.’ He’ll be added to the 25-man roster immediately and take over closing duties.”

7. Cris Pengiucci says:

NOOOOO! They don’t have a chance in hell of winning the WS without Mo!

OK, returning from the ledge now.

8. Ralph L Angelo Jr says:

So in other words he’s cioming back in time for the playoffs! That’s Great!!!

9. BK2ATL says:

I’ll take Cashman at his word re: Mariano.

I wish he would expound on how Gardner’s injury lingered so long, how Pineda’s injury was finally discovered, what’s really going on with Nunez, Banuelos, Campos and Romine.

I’m sure it all might be pure coincidence, but I could see his frustration at all things health-related or physical therapy prognoses (sp?) this season. For someone to come out with inaccurate prognosis statements on Mariano, yeah, you call them out at their word. You don’t mess with Mariano’s reputation. It really isn’t their place to do so, professionally, also.

10. jjyank says:

Dreams = crushed

11. CS Yankee says:

The same Cashman who said that Joba’s injury was life threatening and a zero chance that he would return this year?

12. Hakan says:

Those doctors are just trying to look good just as this article says, Its an ACL tear, you need at least a year for full recovery and full strength.

13. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

What person with half a brain could believe someone could come back from an ACL reconstruction in 2 months?
    Maybe Wolverine but that’s about it.

14. RetroRob says:

Wait, he just called the doctors treating Mo as unprofessional. Shouldn’t they be replaced?

• Tom says:

That’s kind of what I was thinking… why would the team continue to use doctors who are “unprofessional” and out to make a name for themselves.

Or I don’t know ask them to preserve basic medical guidelines and not comment about a patient’s health/medical condition/recovery without the patients approval?

• yooboo says:

I re-read the Daily news articles several times to determine whether or not those doctors made themselves a nice 15 minutes of fame. I dont find anything to back Cashman’s word.

I guess once you hype the media up, you are unprofessional. If so, then Cashman was unprofessional when he handled Derek Jeter’s contract.

• yooboo says:

Cashman should be the one Yanks replace.

He is a pure dickward.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

What is a “dickward”.

• yooboo says:

I dont know. it is just a slang word out of my peer. I guess it means a hypocritical dick.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s where we keep the dicks, obviously.

In all seriousness, though, really? This nonsense has no place on here. This type of ad hominem stuff towards players and staff should be a ticket out of here.

15. vin says:

It would have been awesome to have Mo reprise his role as 7th and 8th inning shutdown reliever, a la 1996. With MFIKY acting as the ulcer-inducing John Wetteland. Robertson could play the role of Jeff Nelson, and Joba could be Bob Wickman. Eppley would be Boehringer, with Loone Bogan fulfilling Graeme Lloyd’s role. Qualls could be a less effective Wally Whitehurst.

Ahhh memories.

16. Steve (different one) says:

This is Cashman just trying to assert his dominance over Mariano. Rubbing dirt in his face that he tore his ACL.