Jul

Update: X-Rays negative after Chavez hit-by-pitch

10:28pm: X-rays came back negative and Chavez is walking around with a big wrap on his ankle. Sounds like he’ll live.

10:02pm: Eric Chavez was pulled in the ninth inning of tonight’s game after getting hit by a pitch in the left shin in the eighth. It stiffened up on him and Joe Girardi said it’s unclear if he’ll be available tomorrow. The Red Sox are starting left-handers in each of the next two games, so Jayson Nix is expected to start at the hot corner anyway.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Erica says:

This is not the time for a broken Chavy.

2. The Real Greg says:

This could force Cashman’s hand to look a little harder.

3. Ichy and Irok hello to number 28 says:

Activate joba hit predroia in the leg
    Also having jobs in the pen will make other teams think twice about hitting key players.

4. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I got stiff looking at the boxscore.

5. dean says:

like Chavy but it’s highly unlikely he can stay healthy until Alex gets back.

6. Brian S. says:

Yeah Nix is starting anyway so whatevs. He can take two days off.

7. Christopher says:

Chavez was on the radio this afternoon saying he really didn’t want to play more than two games a week in the field. He doesn’t trust his body to do more than that.

8. Ichy and Irok hello to number 28 says:

If i am the fighting showalters i throw at chavez too, why not if he gets hurt it criples the yankees even more
    Just sayin.

9. I never say the Yankees should hit a player on the apposing team, even in retaliation. I’m usually absolutely against it, but in the last 22 innings the Yankees have been hit 4 times, and not once have I seen or heard of a player even being brushed back in retaliation. It boggles my mind that it seems like when our position players get hit, the pitchers seem to pitch inside even less as if they’re being told “we don’t want to get a warning, and risk being ejected, so don’t even try going to far in.” Now I’m not saying that we should put one in Pedroia’s or Gonzo’s back tomorrow afternoon, but I am saying I won’t be upset if it happens.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I’m saying we should. I’ve been so friggin frustrated over the last few seasons over the Yanks willingness to accept this behavior. Remember last year when the BS over Ortiz never being hit was followed by CC hitting him? Give me a break. It should never get to that. Yanks should be responding like every other team. I don’t get it.

• Andruw's Smile says:

This is silly. It is almost 100% obvious that not one of these HBPs were intentionally. Why start something where the worst case is getting one (or more) of your guys hurt and/or suspended and the best case is the same scenario as now.

• viridiana says:

Gee, I wonder if it’s just coincidence that Boston almost every year leads the league in hitting batters.

• Steve (different one) says:

Well, it’s not like the yankees should have hit someone on the Sox because the Mariners were hitting Yankees. So the 22 innings thing is kindof irrelevant. It doesn’t carry over to a new team even though emotionally it feels like our guys are under attack. It was obvious there was no intent from Melancon, he just stinks, and it happened in the 8th inning.

Now, as for the Mariners, I do expect Montero to take one on the backside next week. They were down from the first inning on Wednesday and hadn’t been hitting, so they weren’t really in a position to hit someone.

10. yankee blue says:

it sure didnt take long for Chavez to get hurt again. he has been on the DL so much his middle name should be Eric (DL ) Chavez.

• Hey Now says:

He’s totally to blame for getting hit in the leg there, you’re right.

Boo that man!

• Steve (different one) says:

It’s been 100 games, how is that “not long”?

Also, I remember similar comments after his concussion and a bunch of people sayin he was finished, he was fine.

11. Robinson Tilapia says:

RIP

12. Andruw's Smile says:

RIP Zombie Chavez

13. Bernard says:

Where is Russell Branyan when all of this is going on? Can’t he play third base? Isn’t that the reason the Yankees got him in the first place?

14. Fin says:

I think without a doubt the Yankees are trying to get some sort of trade done to upgrade the 3b situation. With the huge lead, its not going to cost them the division but it could cost them in the playoffs. We all know, the Yankees arent/cant play Chavez as much as they claim they are going to. He just wont last, and even if a miracle happens and he doesnt hit the DL, he will be spent by playoff time. I think Nix will get exposed badly by playing him as much as will be needed. The odds seem agaisnt A-rod returning healthy and without any lingering hand issues to do much in the playoffs.

It really on leaves 2 options to put Nunez at 3b, which doesnt seem to be in the Yankees plans or make a trade. Laird seems to be a non option as the Yankees now have Adams at 3b who cant even play every day in Milb.

15. Pounder says:

Chase Headly 28yrs, ARod 37yrs. Trade the supposedly blue chips for him.