Jul

Dickerson homers twice in AAA win

2B David Adams took grounders at third base today, which is notable only because Alex Rodriguez broke his hand two days ago and the Yankees are suddenly looking for a stopgap third baseman. As Double-A Trenton manager Tony Franklin said: “Draw your own conclusions.”

Triple-A Scranton (8-7 win over Charlotte)
CF Chris Dickerson: 4-6, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI — 17 hits in his last 40 at-bats (.425) with three doubles, three triples, four homers, seven walks, and five strikeouts
2B Corban Joseph: 1-4, 2 RBI, 1 BB
SS Eduardo Nunez & LF Kosuke Fukudome: both 1-5, 1 K — Nunez stole a base … Fukudome doubled and drove in a run
DH Jack Cust: 0-3, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 2 K
1B Brandon Laird: 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 K — 14 hits in his last 32 at-bats (.434)
C Frankie Cervelli: 3-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 K – six hits in his last 14 at-bats (.429)
RF Darnell McDonald: 1-4, 2 R, 1 BB, 2 K
3B Kevin Russo: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
RHP Ramon Ortiz: 6 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 7/4 GB/FB – 56 of 86 pitches were strikes (65%) … picked a runner off first
LHP Juan Cedeno: 2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GB/FB — 26 of 38 pitches were strikes (68%)
RHP Manny Delcarmen: 1 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 1/0 GB/FB – nine of 13 pitches were strikes

High-A Tampa (6-4 win over Palm Beach)
LF Ramon Flores: 3-5, 3 R, 1 2B, 1 3B – nice little eight game hitting streak
RF Adonis Garcia: 2-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 CS, 1 E (fielding) — threw a runner out at the plate
CF Slade Heathcott: 3-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 K — 13 hits in his last 32 at-bats (.406) with four doubles and a homer
1B Tyler Austin, DH Gary Sanchez, 2B Anderson Feliz & SS Jose Mojica: all 1-4 — Austin drove in a run … Sanchez doubled and drove in a run … Feliz struck out twice … Mojica scored a run and whiffed twice
C Austin Romine: 3-4 — up from Rookie Ball to continue his rehab
3B Austin Romine: 0-4, 1 K
RHP Caleb Cotham: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 5/3 GB/FB
RHP Sean Black: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 Balk, 1/1 GB/FB
RHP Tommy Kahnle: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (7-4 loss to Rome)
3B Ali Castillo & 1B Rey Nunez: both 0-4 — Castillo walked … Nunez struck out twice and committed a throwing error
SS Cito Culver, RF Rob Refsnyder & 2B Jamiel Orozco: all 1-3 — Culver walked twice, stole a base, and scored twice … Refsnyder drove in a pair and threw a runner out at second
CF Ben Gamel: 2-5, 2 R, 1 K — threw a runner out at second … 13 hits in his last 41 at-bats (.317)
DH Kelvin DeLeon: 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB
C Francisco Arcia: 0-2, 1 RBI, 1 BB
LF Cody Grice: 1-4, 1 K
RHP Bryan Mitchell: 5 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 HB, 7/1 GB/FB – 36 of 66 pitches were strikes (55%)
RHP Ben Paullus: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 2/1 GB/FB — 23 of 35 pitches were strikes (66%)
RHP Pedro Guerra: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GB/FB – 27 of 39 pitches were strikes (69%)

Rookie GCL Yanks (5-3 loss to GCL Blue Jays)
3B Jerison Lopez, 2B Walt Ibarra & C Eduardo DeOleo: all 1-4, 1 R — Lopez walked and struck out twice … Ibarra doubled and struck out while playing all nine innings … DeOleo hit a solo homer and struck out
SS Austin Aune: 2-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI — 13 hits in his last 32 at-bats (.406) with four doubles, a triple, six walks, five strikes, and four steals in four attempts
LF Ericson Leonora: 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 HBP
1B Bubba Jones, CF Mikeson Oliberto & RF Nathan Mikolas: all 0-4 — Oliberto struck out once, Mikolas twice, Jones thrice
DH Justin James: 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K
RHP Joey Maher: 0.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GB/FB — ouch
RHP Kenedy Agramonte: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GB/FB
RHP Chaz Hebert: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 6/1 GB/FB — 21/2 K/BB in 18.1 IP
RHP Dayton Dawe: 2 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 3/1 GB/FB — pro debut for this year’s 15th rounder

Double-A Trenton‘s was suspended due to rain in the middle of the second inning. Here’s the box score, they’re going to resume the game and play two on Saturday. Meanwhile, Short Season Staten Island was rained out and will play a doubleheader tomorrow.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. LongLiveJeter says:

Fast track Adams to play 3rd. He was a pretty highly regarded prospect before, and he can definitely hit better than Nunez, Pena, Laird, etc.

• Havok9120 says:

Whats with all these people lately calling guys up from the low-mid minors and sticking them on the MLB roster and saying “it’ll be fine?”

• YankeeGrunt says:

AA isn’t the “low minors.” Melky debuted out of there, AA to AAA isn’t considered to be the biggest jump in development. Adams is an older prospect who probably would have been at AAA already if Joseph hadn’t hit his way up there first. Doesn’t mean it’ll happen, but it isn’t that farfetched.

• Brian in NH says:

OR maybe if he hadn’t spent such a large part of his development/minor league time injured. Adams being where he is has little to do with Corban Joseph’s abilities and more about the fact that Adams is a minor league version of Eric Chavez…just can’t stay healthy.

• Dave M says:

I’m with the Grunt on this one. Also AAA has mostly retreads and non prospects at the moment.

• Knoxvillain says:

Although I hate Nunez, he does have a decent bat for a utility player. I’m not so sure on how Adams can handle the ML level. Big jump between his level and the ML. I like Adams a lot, it’s just that I don’t feel like he’s ready. Keep in mind I’m a college student and working at a Five Guys Burgers and Fries to pay for my bills.

P.S. I need to stop drinking. That seriously took me five minutes to type. Celebrating because I will never have to take an English class again! Yess! I still need my daily dose of RAB. I love you, Mike. Thank god for spell shech on Google Chrome. It’s saved me from looking like a Guatemalan who moved here when he was only 8 years old.

Good day today, guys? My charger fell out of my laptop. It took me forever to write this. I hate incorrect English and misspelled words. I can’t feel my face.

• Ted Nelson says:

They’re getting Jerison Lopez ready at 3B…

2. Genghis says:

Lot of Austins in Tampa tonight.

3. tyrone sharpton says:

Good to see austin romine plays 3b and c simultaneously. the guy can get spun for uptown now

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Looks like Joey Maher’s performance was so bad Axisa decided not to list him as a pitcher. Nothing like a good, old fashioned youngpitcherhasnofuckingideawheretheballisgoing outing.

5. Bartolo's Colon says:

Nice that c dick is raking, please being him up. He’s got to be more useful than raul at this point, right?

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

Would love to see a healthy Austin Romine work himself into the catching mix with this franchise.

7. zs190 says:

Really glad to see Heathcott playing CF, did I miss news on why Mason Williams left the game the other day and didn’t play today?

• RobertGKramer@AOL.Com says:

“Initial reports stated that Rodriguez, who suffered a broken fifth metacarpal after being hit by Felix Hernandez, would miss up to six weeks, but he could return to action in as early as four.”

8. Angelo says:

I wonder when they’ll start giving CoJo more of a look at third base.

I like Adams, but I’d have to think Corban would be a better option right now.

• RetroRob says:

Adams was rated as having a MLB-ready bat a couple years back prior to his injury.

• coolerking101 says:

CoJo has a reputation as a bad defensive player. Stats back this up… 17 errors in 2010, 23 errors last year. I’m guessing he doesn’t have the ability to move to 3rd.

9. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Any word on Aune’s defense at SS ?

10. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

i’ve been talking about Adams possibly skipping Triple AAA, so i’m on board, ad also, i think MIKE should put Adams on his prospect list.. i commented on him not being there before, and it still makes no sense to me, today…

11. john r says:

I think Adans or COJO wil hit righ now in the major league. The yankees keep their players down too long. If hey were with some other teamthey wouldhave majo league time already.dam went to 3 years at big college,if he did notget injured he wold haveben traded

12. Rick says:

Donde esta Branyan? And just in case I missed it, has Hensley debuted?

• coolerking101 says:

Branyan = back injury.

Hensley has not. I think he tweeted he expects to debut by the end of the month. I know someone mentioned the exact date in a previous DOTF.

13. Graig not Craig says:

I saw the SWB Yankees at Charlotte last night. I was impressed by Dickerson. His bat had some real sweet pop – 2 HR’s. ONe to lead the game. Laird played awful at first. Delcarmen was firing K’s for the save – looked good. Nunez was a disappointment. Cervelli looks trade-ready to me, if someone needs a decent defensive catcher bad enough. Based on my one game sample – Dickerson and Delcarmen should get call-ups.