Record Last Week: 5-2 (36 RS, 29 RA)
Season Record: 48-30 (373 RS, 312 RA, 46-32 pythag. record), 6.0 games up in AL East
Opponents This Week: @ Rays (three games, Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, @ Red Sox (four games, Fri. to Sun., two on Sat.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week opened with three games against the Indians. The Yankees pounded Cleveland in the opener, then Phil Hughes shut the Tribe down in Tuesday’s win. The Yankees finished off the sweep the next day.
- The White Sox came to the Bronx for a four-game set, the last AL team the Yankees had yet to face this season. Some bullpen weirdness resulted in a loss in the opener, then Adam Warren got hammered in the second game. Hiroki Kuroda got the Yankees back on track with a win on Saturday, and Hughes followed with another strong performance in yesterday’s win.
- Injury News: Andy Pettitte (ankle) was hit by a batted ball on Wednesday and is expected to miss two months with a fracture. CC Sabathia (adductor) was placed on the DL and is expected to miss two starts. David Aardsma (elbow) was shut down with pain in his surgically repaired right elbow. Pedro Feliciano (shoulder) threw a bullpen session off a full mound. Brett Gardner (elbow) is expected to swing a bat this week. Russell Martin (back) missed a few games but has since returned to the lineup. Pitching prospects Manny Banuelos and Jose Campos (elbows) are both rehabbing in Tampa. Infield prospect Angelo Gumbs (elbow) is on the DL as well.
- Warren and Ryota Igarashi were recalled to take Sabathia’s and Pettitte’s roster spots, then Igarashi was sent down in favor of David Phelps. Warren was sent down for D.J. Mitchell after his disaster start. Dellin Betances was demoted to Double-A.
- The Yankees acquired Chad Qualls from the Phillies for cash or a player to be named later. They also claimed Danny Farquhar off waivers from the Athletics, then designated him for assignment when they claimed Chris Schwinden off waivers from the Indians. Farquhar has since cleared waivers. Matt Antonelli was designated for assignment to make room for Qualls.
- The Yankees did not have interest in Jim Thome, who has since been traded to the Orioles. They also scouted Zack Greinke recently.
- Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, and Curtis Granderson will all start at their respective positions in the All-Star Game next week. CC Sabathia was selected to the AL team but will not pitch due to his injury.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.