Jul

Friday Night Open Thread

Another rainy day in New York. (Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

One down, six to go on the West Coast trip. The Yankees aren’t playing for another few hours tonight, so use this as your open thread as you’re killing time until first pitch. MLB Network is airing a pair of games tonight and who you see will depend on where you live. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Brian S. says:

Hey Mike how close were Anderson Feliz and Jose Pirela to your list?

2. Brian S. says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You’re in luck. My wife had the opportunity to have a girl’s night out and I’m left with a sleeping baby and a cabinet of booze. Meow away.

• Knoxvillain says:

You’re both luckier than I am. I’m a damn college student with a huge report due this week and I haven’t started it yet. It’s due Thursday. Good thing I took off work on Wednesday!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

…..and if you think that ever ends, my wife’s a college professor with a PhD, and she’s still writing papers.

Be nice to your professors. Give them lots of chili peppers on Rate My Professors.

• Knoxvillain says:

Only two semesters left though. Writing papers sucks ass but it’s my last day for that class on Thursday, thank God.

• jjyank says:

That was my strong suit. I always left papers for the last minute, but I could bang out a 20 page paper in a day, and do very well on it. I was never good at much academically, but I can research and write quality stuff very quickly. Guess that’s why I’m going for intel work.

Just out of curiosity, what’s your major?

3. Greg says:

AL East update:

Orioles spanking the Indians 9-1 top four
    Rays getting shut out by the M’s 1-0 top five
    Red Sox getting blanked by the Jays 4-0 top five

• forensic says:

I bet the Red Sox players sure appreciate Bobby V being able to disguise and hide his frustration and real emotions since there are cameras everywhere in parks now.

In the second inning, after Beckett gave up the 2-run double to Rasmus to make it 4-0, he got on the bullpen phone to warm someone up. After the call, he started trying to slam the receiver back into place, and finally got it to stay on the 3rd or 4th time, all of which was clearly picked up by NESN live, of course.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That’s not ending well.

I hope they tie him up, give him a makeover, and force-feed him chicken and beer before they fire him.

• jjyank says:

Heh. Yeah, I can’t see Bobby V lasting much longer if the Sox miss the playoffs. They couldn’t have hired a bigger ass for the job.

• Kempire Strikes Back says:

I wonder if ESPN will rehire Bobby after the Red Socks inevitably let him go/fire him.

• Tom says:

Make that 5-0 Jays as Beckett is getting hit by a Buatista-less Jays team.

Future HOF’r Wil Middlebrooks has an error. Since the Youkilis trade:
      .182/.193/.327 (.520 OPS) in 57 PA’s

• Greg says:

Basically, the Sox are going to have to slug their way to the playoffs. Beckett and Lester have been awful.

• forensic says:

I knew Middlebrooks was slumping a bit, but I was pretty surprised when I saw him come up before and his OBP was in the .3-teens area. I know he’s not a walker, but I thought he had built up a bit of a cushion. Obviously he’s already worked through that.

• Tom says:

I never understood the hype… up until last year he was fairly unknown.

He has really good power but pretty much every level he’s been at he’s struck out a ton (25-30%)and showed very little patience (~5% BB rate). He’s going to have to mash to have value as his defense is not very good.

With a bunch of 3rd baseman in the minors, I thought the Red Sox traded the wrong 3rd baseman and should have sold high on Middlebrooks. I know Bobby V had issues, but they could have rode out Youkilis until one of their big prospects were ready.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

And they’re getting shut out by Aaron Laffey.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

I saw both Jane Krakowski and Wyatt Cenac today. Not very often you see two celebrities in a day.

Krakowski looked stunning, and I mean stunning. Can’t believe she’s pushing her mid 40′s. She was clearly coming out of some interview, as she was hailing a cab on 57th street, way on the west side, where every studio in, and was an incredibly hot orange dress. You might even see her somewhere on TV tonight wearing that dress.

It’s the second time I’ve seen Cenac in my neighborhood, so he must be local.

• forensic says:

Should I be embarrassed that I have no idea who either of those people are? I hate following celebrity stuff, yet my wife needs her daily fix of TMZ and people.com and sites like that.

• Kempire Strikes Back says:

Jane Krakowski’s that blonde chick from 30 Rock and Wyatt Cenac is a correspondent on The Daily Show. Not huge celebrities by any means, so I wouldn’t be embarrassed if you didn’t know who they were.

5. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Soooooooooooooooo, what is it about the state of Colorado and mass shootings?

6. mustang says:

I’m sure the Montero people were seeing a light of hope with his ass whipping of lonely Royals, but tonight vs. the Rays its:

• mustang says:

0 for 3 with 2 SO

• Tom says:

Also pretty badly misplayed a popup – missed it by enough where there was no error, and for some reason never took his mask off.

• forensic says:

Everybody here likes to bash all the people who bring him up with any good games, but you just can’t help bringing him up with every poor game, and yet somehow avoid all bashing. Interesting…

• mustang says:

I did say he ass whipped the Royals. Nothing against the guy I just like poking fun of all those people who had him in the HOF already. But your right and he is still young so the HOF is still within reach.

BTW If I was bringing up all his bad game I would here a LOT more. LOL

• forensic says:

And really, how can anyone here be upset about him demolishing the Royals? He must be good friends with Cano and wanted a little payback.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Soul II Soul!!!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Honestly, I wish him nothing but the best. What happens with Pineda from here on out is completely separate, to me, from what happens to him. I’m not enjoying watching him struggle.

That being said, Romine and…..Jose Ramirez for Montero.

7. Jacob says:

3 extra inning games going on tonight intriguing, and tex gets thrown out…