Jul

Game 86: Back in the swing of things

Andruw will get a chance to continue his assault on LHP tonight. (REUTERS/Jessica Rinaldi)

The All-Star break is over and while I’m sure we all enjoyed a few days away from baseball, it’s time for the season to continue. The Yankees head into the second half with the best record in baseball and a seven-game lead in the division, not to mention eight games on the Rays and ten on the Red Sox. I don’t think we could have asked for much more. The Angels have the best record in baseball since Mike Trout was recalled (42-24) and they’re always a pain to play. Here’s the starting lineup…

SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
1B Mark Teixeira
3B Alex Rodriguez
2B Robinson Cano
RF Nick Swisher
LF Andruw Jones
C Russell Martin
DH Jayson Nix

RHP Hiroki Kuroda

Tonight’s game starts a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on My9 locally and MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

CC Sabathia Update: Sabathia (groin) threw 30 pitches in a simulated game today and felt fine. He will throw a bullpen session on Sunday and come off the disabled list to start against the Blue Jays on Tuesday. There won’t be any restrictions, he’s good to go.

Brett Gardner Update: Gardner (elbow) took batting practice today and he’ll do so again tomorrow. Assuming that goes well, he’ll play in a simulated game on Sunday.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Tut says:

Cano should not be batting lower than 4th. Period.

• Greg says:

Well if ARod is behind Cano, then Cano will get no pitches to hit.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Honestly. The excuse would be because there’s a LHP on the mound, but there’s Granderson hitting 2nd, and Cano hits lefties better than Granderson.

Plus, Cano career vs CJ Wilson: .385/.467/.654 in 30 PA; 2 HR.

/end nitpick

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Vs. LHP this season:
        Cano 226/278/347 67 wRC+
        Grandy 255/346/491 125 wRC+
        ARod 292/404/552 159 wRC+
        Tex 257/325/540 129 wRC+

I can see the argument for Cano hitting 5th, though with his recent hotness, I wouldn’t mind seeing him higher.

2. RocketMan86 says:

Wishing it was Dwight throwing out the first pitch tonight. Oh well, hooray for Joe Johnson and “the best back court in the league”

/Dwight Hangover’d

• Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

I’m a Laker fan, and I’m happy he’s NOT throwing a pitch out for the Dodgers tonight. That guy is a petulant asshole, and I’m glad he’s not on my team.

3. CT Yankee says:

Break’s over. Back to work.

4. RocketMan86 says:

Also, is there any real necessity for the Angels to be in these Grienke trade talks? There top 3 is already strong enough to dominate any lineup, so are these rumors just a Texas blocking maneuver?

• Greg says:

Haren and Santana have had disappointing seasons. Their one weakness right now is that their starting pitching is essentially 2 deep.

5. The Guns of Navarone says:

This is just… this is just so awesome.

6. Betty Lizard says:

From Lohud:

Andy Pettitte is here. He flew into town yesterday. Turns out he’s actually been able to play catch regularly since breaking his ankle. Nothing over the top, just enough to keep his arm loose. “I think he’s bored to death,” Girardi said.”

It’s going to be a long July for him. Get back here, Andy!

7. OMG! Bagels! says:

Saw the Boss’s Yankeeography for the first time last night. Great stuff.

8. vicki says:

coney and paulie!

9. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Really?? FSW feed? Give me a break.

10. Greg says:

Nice play by Jeter

11. Greg says:

Nice framing by Martin

12. RetroRob says:

Gotta “love” Pirate fans and their outrage over Mark Appel not signing. I can only imagine what tweets Gerrit Cole would have received if the Twitterverse was in fine form back in 2008.

13. Brett says:

Anyone else having trouble with mlb.tv feed? Its still coming up with “This game will begin shortly”.

14. jjyank says:

Anyone else having problems with MLB.TV? It still says “this game will begin shortly”. I’m rather certain it started already.

15. The Scheister of Doom says:

Is anyone else’s MLB.tv not working, it still thinks the game hasnt begun?!

16. Greg says:

I’m surprised that ball carried all the way to Trout. It was off the end of the bat.

17. Will The Thrill says:

Why didn’t we sign CJ Wilson again? He sure would’ve looked nice in a rotation with CC, Nova, Pineda and possibly Banuelos. With fewer elite pitchers reaching FA it’s head scratching especially since he wanted to be a Yankee.

• Greg says:

I think it was a combination of his age and his propensity to get wild on occasion

• jjyank says:

Didn’t he take a discount to pitch in SoCal? I remember the Marlins offering a 6th year and over 100 mil and Wilson declined. I don’t think he would have come to NY unless it was a monster contract.

• I want all the big named free agents, every one!!!!

• Will The Thrill says:

Yankees were his first choice. He reached out to Cashman but Cash rejected contact from him/his agent. Marlins were close to signing him but the Angels suddenly stepped in. I’m not saying CJ Wilson is the one of the best pitchers in baseball but he’s a damn good lefty. With all of the elite starters like Matt Cain and Jered Weaver being locked up it would’ve made sense to add a second lefty to go along with CC.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

I think Cashman went on record as saying they viewed him as a 3rd starter and basically wasn’t worth what he would be commanding.

• DM says:

I think Texas said that about him (3rd starter stuff). From the Yankee perspective, it was about the money and years; Cashman didn’t dismiss him.

18. jjyank says:

Well Riddle, looks like I’m in your world until mlb.tv decides to fucking work.

19. Will The Thrill says:

And the cheap hits begin…

20. dontchaknow says:

sit the fuck down

21. Defensive catcher doing defensive good!!

22. Greg says:

Must have been a hit and run because I doubt Trumbo steals on his own

23. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

How the hell was that not a strike?

No harm thankfully.

24. Have more people seriously orbited the moon than thrown a perfect game? That’s insane.

25. Tom says:

I know he swung late… but that is either a swing or the ump should have ruled it interference if he deemed it too late.

(not that it matters)

26. The Scheister of Doom says:

I getting PISSED! I came home early for this DAMN game and MLB.tv FUCKEN SUCKS!!!

27. The Guns of Navarone says:

Big 2nd half Alex… let’s go.

28. OMG! Bagels! says:

No ovation for Robbie? Weird.

29. Cuso says:

This YS3 crowd is pretty ignorant. Should have had a nice ovation for Robbie.

30. VT Yankee Fan says:

From MLB.tv

We are currently experiencing issues that will affect all TV broadcasts, both those ongoing and upcoming. The upcoming games may continue to show pregame slate after they have begun. There will also be no commercial break slates for live games. This issue is also affecting most audio feeds. We are working on resolving these issues. We apologize for the inconvenience.

31. Sterling just reminded me about something a read, it might have even been on here, they might make a rule that a member of the host team has to compete in the derby to avoid the whole fiasco with Cano happening again. That’s fucking ridiculous in my opinion. It’s right on par with nobody looses, everybody gets a trophy in sports, or schools were teachers can’t fail students who deserve it. Say a team like the Padres is hosting, they’re terrible with out any real slugger, it would be an embarrassment to the event to have one of their players compete.

• jjyank says:

I was talking to my dad about that about an hour ago, and I pretty much said the same thing. It’s like in tee-ball ittle league, when everyone has to bat even if they don’t play a position. Does anyone in baseball outside of Kansas City want to see Butler in the home run derby? No, because he’s not a home run hitter!!

• It’s terrible, the ‘please everybody’ culture that this country is developing. and ‘don’t make people feel bad.’ I have no problems with rewarding people who deserve it, but at the same time we shouldn’t give out trophies for people ‘trying their best.’ Rewarding everybody and not excluding some is how the drive for excellence is lost.

• jjyank says:

Exactly. Cano can only choose 3 players, it’s not exactly an inclusive group. If Selig is gonna be an ass and make a stipulation that a player from the host team must be on the team, he damn well better add a spot to each team. Because if Butler was on the team instead of someone like Fielder or Bautista, that’d be a crime. And the please everyone culture is exactly why this sucks.

KC Fans: Waaaahhhhh nobody took a Royal for the Derbyyyyy *sniff*

Selig: Okay KC fans, next time we’ll make sure that the captain is forced to take one of your shitty players, just so you can feel better about yourselves.

It’s ridiculous.

• It sends a terrible message to people to kids. Whine and complain and act like a general ass enough, and you’ll get your way. Is that what we really want to tell this younger generation?

• jjyank says:

Yeah really. Selig should have reemed out KC for their behavior and told them to get a fucking life. Best home run hitter in the derby, period, end of story.

• Preaching to the choir man. I usually can understand the other side of an argument and even see some validity to it, but if someone where to disagree I’d have no idea where they where coming from. Had I been Selig I would have issued a statement along the lines of “If you’re upset that your team doesn’t have a participant in the Homerun Derby, don’t insult and belittle the captain of the Derby squad, instead think about why you don’t have a representative.

• jjyank says:

Right. If KC wanted to boo anyone, they should have booed their front office for failing to develop/trade for/sign a slugger capable of being in the derby.

32. Get Phelps Up says:

Are we rooting for the Rays or Sox this weekend?

33. Rey22 says:

Can anyone explain why Nix is the DH tonight? Isn’t this what we acquired McDonald for? Nix and Stewart are tied for crappiest bat off the bench, I’d rather see Chavez or Raul hitting against a DH than this.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

The binder knows.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Nix has a HR and a career 250/500/1000 line against Wilson (only 6 PA). McDonald is 111/273/111 vs. Wilson.
      Chavez and Ibanez have been beyond awful vs. LHP.

34. Will The Thrill says:

Damn. CJ Wilson always walks good hitters in jams so he can get to the crappy ones. And more than not his strategy works.

35. Will The Thrill says:

I feel like all Russell Martin does this year is weakly groundout to third and softly pop up to infielders. I guess this is life post-Posada, back to catchers who can’t hit.

36. Nathan says:

TEX!

37. The Scheister of Doom says:

So are we MLB.tv having fools missing anything good?

38. Greg says:

That was a hanger

• Cuso says:

Apologize for being nit-picky here, but that would imply it was a breaking ball.

Bad location. Only reason I point out the difference is bad location within a start lasts longer than just hanging a single breaking ball..

39. Andrew says:

I hate Aybar.

40. your mom says:

Kuroda sucks against lefties. At least it’s only a solo.

41. Will The Thrill says:

Of course Aybar hits one of his 3 homeruns he’s gonna hit this year in this game.

42. Kramerica Industries says:

Umm…thank God this is on MLBN because MLB.tv isn’t working?

Sounds like Brian Kenny in the booth, with Smoltz (of course) in the booth. Never heard Kenny behind the mic before, but I’ve always found him a pretty solid personality. Regardless, Smoltz irritates me to no end, so I would love if I could listen to the familiar YES people instead.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Ok, so everyone else is having the same problem.

That sucks, because I would’ve hoped it was just an isolated issue for me.

43. Greg says:

Pedro Ciriaco just had a 2 run single off Hellickson to give the Sox a 3-0 lead. So its not just us.

44. The Guns of Navarone says:

The Yankees have the best record in baseball… but the sky is falling.

- Front page of ESPN

It really is comical. God forbid if they only had the 3rd best record in baseball. Then we’d really hear about all the QUESTION MARKS!!!

• Greg says:

I usually hate ESPN and their anti-Yankee bias.

But in this case, all that is said is that the Yankees have the best record in baseball, but they can do even better.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

It says they have “issues” to overcome, which is true of any team of course. But why pick on the team with the best record in baseball who is expected to be the best team? It would make more sense to me to see something about the Tigers or even the Angels. A team who hasn’t lived up to expectations.

• Greg says:

That might be an east coast bias thing

• Kramerica Industries says:

No team is perfect, and thus there are always flaws that can be improved upon.

The Yankees are always judged not on a basis of getting to the playoffs, but on legitimate championship chances once they get there, so that’s how any assessment will go about. I see no problem with that.

As we’ve seen on three occasions in the past decade, best record doesn’t even guarantee success in the crapshoot known as the best-of-5 ALDS. And one of those teams won 103 fucken games.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I can’t wait to hear what people say when they don’t make a big splash at the deadline.

• I was honestly just thinking…I want to finish with the 2nd best record in the AL but win the division. My logic being, we still win the division and we still get home field in the first round, but we get the classic 2-2-1 format instead of the stupid 2-3 format the 1st best team is going to have to do against the Wildcard.

45. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Sweet

46. dontchaknow says:

:,)

47. Cy Pettitte says:

MT25 contributing to the offense!

48. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Tex!!! !!!!

49. Greg says:

A Tex message!

50. Betty Lizard says:

Since MLB tv isn’t working, maybe I’ll just read the game thread. I want to see if I can come up with an algorithm to determine whether we’re winning or losing, and by what run differential, just from various attributes of the comments.

51. Rich in NJ says:

Tex’s RH swing is so much better.

52. RetroRob says:

It’s always kind of funny when Cone injects some intelligent counterbalance, and Kay sits in silence.

53. Cy Pettitte says:

Teix with 16 has the most HRs of any 1B in either league right now. that’s pretty crazy.

54. The Guns of Navarone says:

Loving the ground balls.

55. RetroRob says:

Remaining A-Rod contract for five years, or Pujols for the next ten years?

• RetroRob says:

Yeah, totally. It’s possible both will be done within four years, but leaves another four to five years on the Pujols contract, which is also backloaded. It goes up to $30-somthing million a year at the end, while A-Rod’s drops to about $20 million per. Just crazy.

• I didn’t even know that Pujols’ was back loaded. That makes the decision even easier.

• jjyank says:

Yep. Doesn’t matter for luxury tax stuff, but it absolutely has a big impact on the year-to-year budget. The Halos are gonna be paying Pujols ~30 mil when he’s 40 and probably terrible.

• RetroRob says:

Yup. 41.

I still think the Yankees may have to absorb one of the last years of A-Rod’s contract. The Angels may have to absorb a few if he really falls off a cliff.

• RetroRob says:

Escalates yearly: 12:$12M, 13:$16M, 14:$23M, 15:$24M, 16:$25M, 17:$26M, 18:$27M, 19:$28M, 20:$29M, 21:$30M.

They’ll be paying him $114 million that last four years of the contract, and $30 million in 2021 when I don’t think he’ll even be playing.

• That’s ludicrous. How in gods name can they agree to a deal that back loaded. I don’t know how proud of a person Albert is, but if it was me I wouldn’t care how terrible I was I wouldn’t be able to leave that on the table.

• jjyank says:

Nobody could leave that on the table. It’s not about money for him, it’s about setting up his family for generations to come. Nobody is leaving $30 mil on the table. I believe that 10 years from now, the Pujols contract will look worse than A-Rods. At least A-Rod didn’t start to decline until several years into the deal, Pujols seems to already be starting in year 1.

• jjyank says:

A-Rod, no doubt about it. That’s an easy one.

56. The Guns of Navarone says:

Didn’t Trumbo hit that one on the friggin roof of the KC sign in left center?

57. Kramerica Industries says:

MLB.tv seems to have sprung to life.

58. jjyank says:

ZOMG mlb.tv works! By Ma and Pa, it’s been fun.

59. Cy Pettitte says:

that didn’t look close to being a strike

60. Dewayne is Wise says:

Who the hell is Fuckudoma?
    Another guy to take my job.

61. The Guns of Navarone says:

Yeah RUSS!! Gotta at least pick up defensively in the 2nd half.

62. dontchaknow says:

fuck yes !!

63. Dewayne is Wise says:

Kung fu fighting hiroki has it working tonight.

64. BK2ATL says:

Loving how Russell is gunning these dudes down and Scioscia’s running/hit&run game.

2 out of 3 is pretty good so far, and Trout is the best in the game right now, and on a breaking pitch. So nothing bad about that. Let’s hope it carries over to his offense.

65. Tom says:

Smoltz degenerating into the HR’s don’t win in the playoffs narrative.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

The 2009 Yankees vehemently disagree.

*sigh*

Sometimes players (current and former) can just be so dumb about the game they play.

• Kramerica Industries says:

One thing that always irritates me about that narrative is that it kindof implies that better pitchers never give up home runs.

Fact is, power pitchers are susceptible to giving up home runs all the same come October, if they aren’t locating. And any pitcher in the history of baseball, whether they are clutch or not, is susceptible to a bad playoff outing as they are an amazing playoff outing.

Andy Pettitte in Game 6 vs. Arizona is actually a perfect example of this.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

CJ Wilson, the pitcher the Yankees just homered off of, is a pitcher the Yankees could very well face in the playoffs too. It’s pretty batshit crazy to think that pitchers, good or bad, all of a sudden don’t give up home runs in the playoffs.

• Add him to the list with Verlander, Price, Shields, Lester, Santana…

• Get Phelps Up says:

I think when I made that list a few days ago of pitchers who the Yankees have beat around this year every one of them except Felix was on a team that could potentially be in the playoffs.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Pretty much, yeah.

These guys are very, very good. But they aren’t invincible, against anyone. I mean, anyone remember when the friggen Giants teed off on Cliff Lee in the World Series? And this was Cliff Lee who had an absurd ERA over the previous two postseasons? Shit happens. Timely hits make all the difference in the world, it’s just a matter of whether this team can get them. They did in 2009. Not so much in 2010 or 2011.

• jjyank says:

“Fact is, power pitchers are susceptible to giving up home runs all the same”

Like my high school baseball coach always said, “The faster it comes in, the faster it goes out.”

The Yankees have a power lineup. What’s easier to do, hit one mistake pitch for a homer, or string together a sustained rally over 4-5 batters? I know I’m preaching to the choir, but jeez.

66. Dewayne is Wise says:

I hope martin and arod both had some big popi shakes for the second half.

67. Nix is a waste at DH. It should be McDonald in left and Jones at DH.

“Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:
      July 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm
      Chavez and Ibanez have been beyond awful vs. LHP.”

SSS, obviously, but it’s not completely crazy.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Coming to any sort of conclusion over 6 PA is completely crazy to me. But that’s just my opinion.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

I agree, but McDonald sucks. Not like they’re really missing out on anything.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Agreed. You could do worse for a #9 hitter regardless of whether he’s the DH or not. The Yankees DH situation is kinda crazy. Better just get used to it.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, but it’s not like McDonald is actually good. So there’s that.

If you’re choosing between Nix and McDonald, you might as well go with the SSS if it looks better.

68. Greg says:

Would have been better if he bunted.

Hindsight, of course

69. Cuso says:

Jayson Nix looks like Batman. It’s the eyes.

70. Betty Lizard says:

A walk by Martin! Be still my beating heart . . .

71. The Guns of Navarone says:

Pound those worms Hiroki.

72. Dewayne is Wise says:

Hiroki dealing!

73. RetroRob says:

This game is cranking along.

74. Will (the other one) says:

This Kuroda guy is pretty efficient.

75. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Thanks Trout

76. jjyank says:

Great to see Kuroda rounding right back into form after that speed bump in Fenway a week ago.

77. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

I’m surprised superman didn’t make that catch.

78. Dewayne is Wise says:

Trouts better going back on the ball then coming in.

79. RetroRob says:

A foot short of another great catch where people would be talking about what a great fielder Trout is, where now he misses it and it’s deemed a rookie mistake. A game of inches.

80. Dewayne is Wise says:

Jesus mark WTF

81. The Guns of Navarone says:

Please do something Alex.

82. Betty Lizard says:

“My idea of Cross Fit is to get from the East Side to the West side in a cab.”
    Love David Cone.

83. Greg says:

Bad luck there

84. your mom says:

Fucking A!

85. Dewayne is Wise says:

Come on fuck it squeeze him in.

86. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

2-0 weak ground ball

87. Kramerica Industries says:

This could end up being very, very unproductive and very, very frustrating.

88. TommyBoy says:

Wow Arod blows now!

89. Tom says:

Yikes… for a 2-0 count, that is really bad contact.

Jammed on a fastball/cutter in that count?

90. Dewayne is Wise says:

Fail fail fail

91. Cy Pettitte says:

leadoff triple and the 3-4-5 hitters can’t get him in. wow.

92. your mom says:

Only this team can fail in that situation.

93. The Guns of Navarone says:

That’s disappointing when the middle of the order can’t get a run in from 3rd with no outs.

94. Greg says:

Bad luck inning for the Yankees. Made contact on all three and right at fielders

95. TommyBoy says:

The 1st half choking with RISP Yankees are back!

96. Athenian says:

ARod is a 30 mill shell of a baseball player. He should do the Yankees and himself a favor and retire.

• jjyank says:

That actually would not do the Yankees a favor, unless Nunez or Laird float your boat as the every day third baseman.

Hint: they would make the team worse.

• CUYanks says:

Well technically if he did retire then I believe the Yankees wouldn’t be on the hook for the contract and could find a suitable replacement. Nevertheless, while they’re paying him, he does have some value– as you point out.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Well, if he retires they save all that money so I wouldn’t necessarily agree.

If they released him and still had to pay the money, then it’s a different story.

• jjyank says:

Even if they don’t have to pay him, who is his replacement? A-Rod is a better player than Nunez and Laird, who are the in-house guys. So do you make a trade? Good third basemen aren’t exactly plentiful either.

Regardless of the money, losing A-Rod makes the team worse, at least at his position. Unless you want to fork over the prospects for a replacement. I’d rather pay A-Rod money than pay prospects to replace him.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

It would hurt for this season, because it would be difficult to find a solid replacement on short notice if he retired right now. I would trade that short term difficulty for the long term relief of getting rid of that ridiculous contract any day though.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, but it’s a dumb fantasy really, because it will never happen. Ever. I prefer to focus on things that could actually happen in real life, meaning A-Rod is not retiring.

• Dewayne is Wise says:

Stuart is that you

97. Cuso says:

Someone needs to :

1.) Mow the infield grass

2.) Call A-Rod’s cousin

98. BK2ATL says:

That’s just garbage hitting by Tex, A-Rod and Cano. Just ridiculous.

None of them could get the ball out of the infield with no outs and a runner on 3rd????

99. your mom says:

CJ Wilson is a lucky fuck, no wonder his ERA is so low. I thought he was the most over-rated player in the game???

100. your mom says:

Would like a DP here.

101. your mom says:

Ruh Roh. . . . . .

102. Greg says:

Yankees missed their golden chance last inning. This is the Angels golden chance

103. The Guns of Navarone says:

This has bad news written all over it. And it all started with not being able to tack on last inning.

104. The Scheister of Doom says:

DP, bang bang.

/TWSS?

105. Tom says:

Why did Cano catch that 3 feet in front of the bag like that?

106. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Fuck

107. your mom says:

Fuck Fuck Fuck.

108. Kramerica Industries says:

That’s what happens with RISP fail, and then plunking hitters with 2 strikes.

Well, oh well. Time for the bats to save themselves tonight.

109. Greg says:

Kuroda did that to himself. And last inning becomes a non factor because the Angels would still have the lead probably

• Tom says:

FALLACY!

• Greg says:

That’s why I said “probably”

• Tom says:

Saying “probably” doesn’t change the fact that it’s still a fallacy.

Also I don’t know what sort of logic last inning is a non factor:

You are saying it doesn’t matter if it’s 4-2 vs 4-3? What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

• Greg says:

The logic is that you are still behind. And if it remains 4-2 then it is a non factor because that one extra run would not have determined the outcome

• Tom says:

So it’s a non factor whether you are down by 2 or 1?

That’s true when the game is over; the only way to conclude it is a non-factor now is if you already know the outcome of the next 3 innings (which is another fallacy)

Are you being serious or are just trolling? Or for some reason defending a failed RISP opportunity?(as you seem to do)

• Greg says:

No I just don’t want people hanging the blame on that moment.

In the end Kuroda failed.

• Tom says:

Ummm… they all failed? It’s not an either or scenario.

(as the tying run reaches 2nd base with no out and alll you need it a productive out to get him to 3rd… oh wait)

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Well just say that then. Everything else you’re saying is a fallacy.

I’d agree with you if you’d just said, “Guys, the run was annoying, but Kuroda had a bad inning and that’s not the offense’s fault.”

That makes perfect sense and I agree.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Furthermore, how a different score can affect pitch selection and location, let alone the mental state of Kuroda, for all we know.

As the saying goes – if things are different, they won’t be the same.

• Greg says:

The HBP affected the mental state of Kuroda more than that run might either way

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Except that we don’t know this. We don’t know any of this. All we know is that, statistically, the more runs you score the more likely it is that you’ll win. Not scoring last inning was disappointing and not irrelevant.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

This is a fallacy of the predetermined outcome (yes, yes, Michael Kay, whatever) but besides that there is a difference between being down two runs to being down one. That run was annoying and may end up being important.

• Greg says:

Your second factor comes into play only if the Yanks acore another run to make it a one run game

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’m talking about now. Right now, in the seventh inning, there is a real difference to being down 1 run vs. being down two runs. I don’t care if they score another run or not, they still would have a better chance to win if they had one more run than they do now.

110. Rocky Road Redemption says:

All of a sudden Kuroda goes from pitching a great game to pitching a shitty game. That’s baseball.

111. TommyBoy says:

ballgame! Fuck the yankees choking artist hitters!

112. Athenian says:

Shit. Game.

• jjyank says:

No, it’s the 7th inning. This isn’t little league, they play 9 innings here.

• Athenian says:

Your right. They effective scored a lead off triple last inning and the Angels bullpen sucks. My mistake

• jjyank says:

Your comment makes no sense. What??

Yeah, their bullpen is good. So was the Braves bullpen when we were losing by 4 runs with Venters and Kimbrel looming. But we won that game. Go away.

• Athenian says:

These aren’t the Braves. Yankees couldn’t score a run from a lead off triple with 3-4-5 hitters. What doesn’t make sense about that statement? How about you go away?

• jjyank says:

So they didn’t score a run in one instance, that means they’ll never score again?

/troll’d

• Athenian says:

Ahh there it is. When one doesn’t agree or doesn’t like the comment immediately their a troll. Great response. I guess since I am the ONLY one who said that was game probably deserved it. Glad your on top of things! Good job, love the originality in the response.

• jjyank says:

But you are a troll. I call ‘em like I see ‘em.

Pretty sure a large majority (like, everyone) would agree with that. But have fun doing what you do.

• Dewayne is Wise says:

I still think your stuart a :)

113. fuuuuuck. Why couldn’t we open from the break with like the Royals or Mariners? Why’d it have to be the Angels?

114. Dewayne is Wise says:

Kuroda with a sushi ball wow.
    Way to give in kuroda
    Start running after the game.

115. your mom says:

That was no cheapie. My God he hit that far.

3 more innings to catch up. Got a feeling it’s not happening tonight though

116. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

ARod showing off the 2 foot range

117. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Down 2 with CJ Wilson rolling backed up by Downs and Frieri and this doesn’t look too good.

118. Cuso says:

Hopefully they bring in Isringhausen.

119. Wow says:

I absolutely can’t stand the Angels. Just so frustrating.

120. tabbert says:

Yankees deserve to lose. I can’t believe how pathetic they have become with RISP. You would think they took more pride in their craft. Man on third, 0 outs, your 3,4,5, hitters up, and you don’t score? This team will never win in the playoffs. Great regular season team, no doubt. But, this is not a team that is built for the style of play that the playoffs bring ( clutch hitting). We saw this numerous times in game 5 of the ALDS last year.

• Greg says:

But again, would that one run have made a difference in the game? Right now, no.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Who knows?

1) Fallacy of the predetermined outcome

2) Being down one run vs. two runs is a big difference when you’re in the seventh inning

I actually think we could win this game. But scoring a run last inning is not just a minor thing we can brush off because the Angels just happen to be two runs ahead. The game doesn’t work like that.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

BTW, take the fact I’m responding to you as a compliment. It means I consider you somebody worthy of discussion and thus not a troll

• your mom says:

It may have. Maybe Kuroda pitches more confidently with an extra run on the board.

*sigh*

I’m not going to bother explaining how wrong you are.

121. Will The Thrill says:

People talk so much about the Yankees needing a rotation upgrade but what they really need is young dynamic offensive players. Cano cannot always be the Yankee offense. A-Rod has turned into a groundball singles hitter, love Grandy’s homers but they aren’t worth all of the strikeouts, and Tex and Jeter have been up and down this year. Yeah the Yankee offense is a top five offense but for how long?

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

If only we still had Montero.

• Will The Thrill says:

I don’t think he’d make things that much better.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

I was being sarcastic.

• jjyank says:

He’d be better in this stadium and in this line up, but yeah, I’m not sure he’d be better enough. That’s terrible grammar, I know, but it seemed to flow better :P

Montero has been pretty terrible this year, and while he might be better here, I don’t think he would be making a difference.

122. Dewayne is Wise says:

Just rewatched trumbos shot looks like Angels are stealing signals from second base as the runner tip him off to location and pitch.

• Will The Thrill says:

I wouldn’t be surprised. With how shitty we always play against the Angels, nothing in these games against them surprise me.

123. DblHdr says:

Where’s my password ?

124. The Scheister of Doom says:

Go Yankees! You can do it NY! Put your BATS into it! It’s as easy as hitting with RISP and GO, FO or SO by the opposing team!

125. your mom says:

K’d the side but. . . . . .

126. tabbert says:

The Royals would have a top 5 offense in baseball if they played half their games in Yankee Stadium.

127. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Why do people think Kate Smith had such a great voice? Sound like a lot of screeching to me

• JohnnyC says:

5 octave range is screeching? Are you hearing impaired? Seriously, you don’t have to like her style of music but that’s ridiculous.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Maybe I’m tone deaf but I think her rendition is terrible.

• jjyank says:

No I agree. It’s not “screeching”, but it is a terrible rendition.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Thanks. I thought it was only me.

• JohnnyC says:

Name a better “rendition” of God Bless America. Didn’t Kanye do one on his last album?

• jjyank says:

I don’t have to name a better one to day that Smith’s is terrible. And I am musically inclined, before you call me tone deaf. I sing, play guitar and bass, and have been in several bands. Kate Smith’s version is outdated, flat, and bad.

128. I feel like we’re winning this game. I don’t know why, but I have a feeling this game isn’t going to end 4-2.

129. BK2ATL says:

Game ain’t over in the 7th, but damn it, if it isn’t frustrating. I can’t even be mad at Kuroda. He’s pitched very well, except for 3 bad pitches (the 2 HRs and the HBP).

Our offense….smfh. HR or nothing….

130. your mom says:

Matt Trumbo and Mike Trout are awesome. Wish we had young players like that on our team.

131. Will The Thrill says:

The more and more I see of CJ Wilson, the more and more I wish the Yankees would’ve signed him.

132. CUYanks says:

Frieri has been walking a ton of guys this year. Maybe this is the game where his strand rate comes back to bite him…

133. The Guns of Navarone says:

R

I

S

P

134. Dewayne is Wise says:

Nice now if jones can just pretend he at Fenway.

135. BK2ATL says:

Nice hitting, Swish-dawg!!! We need more of those kinds of at-bats.

136. Leaving for the bus after Martin’s AB…hopefully good things happen.

137. Chris says:

Andruw just missed hitting an oppo-bomb.

138. BK2ATL says:

Hey Alex, Tex, see how that’s done????

139. captain kiwi says:

time get it all back boys! and jeez, i think i would kill for trout in pinstripes.

140. Will The Thrill says:

I know I’m biased but strikezone is horrible today. Ump is calling everything inside and all offspeed pitches on the corner.

141. DblHdr says:

Tabbert, why 2 blogs at once ?

142. The Guns of Navarone says:

Oh boy

143. Dewayne is Wise says:

Pinch hit stewie.

144. Greg says:

More bad luck. This might not be our night

145. Tom says:

Don’t worry folks… down 2… that’s a non factor!

/Greg’d

146. Rocky Road Redemption says:

RISPFAIL, how I’ve missed you.

Oh, wait…

[Please get a two out hit here, guys. Please?]

147. Dewayne is Wise says:

Such bullshit

148. your mom says:

I’m not going to even say anything. . . .

149. Kramerica Industries says:

This is friggen ridiculous.

150. Will The Thrill says:

If you want to scare yourself think about this lineup without Robinson Cano.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Is this supposed to be a “resign Cano” plug? Because if so, I counter with “imagine yourself with a shitty Cano”.

If it’s not…yeah, it’s a frightening though.

151. Nathan says:

Find a bridge to jump off of, Russell.

152. Dewayne is Wise says:

Girardis binder sucks

153. tabbert says:

Yankee Stadium BAILS our team out a helluva a lot. If we played our home games in safeco… we would prob be in the 10-15th range for total offense. You Put this team in a park where they cant rely on cheap homers, and their lack of success with RISP, your looking at a average offense.

Grandy’s homers would be cut in half, swisher would lose pretty close to half, Arod might hit 10-15, tex would be a 25 homer guy. Cano is just about the only guy that would still be a monster.

154. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

awful

155. Will The Thrill says:

Why did we have to face the Angels right after the break? MLB just loves pushing the Yankees. Have we had a soft Parton th schedule yet this year? Sheesh.

156. Will The Thrill says:

Why did we have to face the Angels right after the break? MLB just loves pushing the Yankees. Have we had a soft part of the schedule yet this year? Sheesh.

157. Greg says:

All four at bats with a runner at third and less than 2 outs end up in play right at a fielder. All you can ask is to put the ball in play. Just bad luck tonight.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

You can certainly ask for more than to just put the ball in play. You can ask for good AB’s and good hard contact. Martin at least hit the ball hard.

• jjyank says:

Greg I applaud you for being relatively up-beat tonight.

• Tom says:

All you can ask for? How about hitting the ball in the damn air? How about not getting jammed on a 2-0 fastball (and either take the pitch or get out in front of it)

I also think there were also only 3 AB’s with runner on 3rd and <2 out, and only Martin made good contact.

All you can ask for is to put the ball in play? Are you serious?

158. tabbert says:

lead off triple, and double, in back to back innings… and we don’t score. Comical.

159. DblHdr says:

Tabbert, why 2 blogs at once. Same crap !

160. Dewayne is Wise says:

Martin nix not playoff calber bats

161. TommyBoy says:

Can’t wait or the playoffs so we can lose in the 1st round!

162. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Shit man. 2 routine FBs and this game would be tied.

163. Maurice says:

scrubs

164. Chris says:

Wasted a leadoff triple in the sixth, and now a leadoff double in the seventh. I love when the Yankees play the Angels.

165. Wow says:

Yay RISPfail… That lower part of our lineup is pretty bad to say the least.

166. Andruw's Smile says:

So when are they gonna bench Russ just to save him the embarrassment? Sub 180/300 is really rough and at some point you gotta just cut your losses for a decent amount of time, right? Gotta be nearing that point.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

except his backup is even worse

• Andruw's Smile says:

Oh absolutely, but at some point you may even need to make some sort of change for the sake of change. Maybe just a weekend off or something, I don’t know. Maybe the AS break will do that for Russ and he’ll have a more respectable second half.

• JohnnyC says:

But…but…he’s a defensive whiz!

167. Cuso says:

Guarantee he steals 3rd

168. The Guns of Navarone says:

Does every team play their 3B on the grass for EVERY bunt threat or is it just the Yankees? It’s cost them two hits in this game.

169. Will The Thrill says:

Every time we play the Angels the flaws of this team just seem so clear.

• Athenian says:

All the way down to the lack of ready talent in the farm system.

• TomH says:

Was it as recently as a year ago that we were hearing how admired the farm system was? It seemed to turn a lot on the presence of Montero and the B’s. The one is gone and the others ….?

• Athenian says:

I think so. AA and lower looks promising. AAA has become “if necessary and nothing on the market” in my opinion. But they also have many than are very injury prone and perhaps were overrated.

• DT says:

Phelps has been good from our farm this year…

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Guys, I just fist pumped involuntarily.

FUCK YEAH.

170. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

CJ Wilson is gonna seem like a bargain at 5/$77 by the time Hamels signs his mega contract.

171. Kramerica Industries says:

Yay for shitty luck.

172. The Guns of Navarone says:

Story of two teams with polar opposite luck today.

173. Will The Thrill says:

I see the umps are embedded Angels fans.

174. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Bullshit. That man on third should be out.

Robot umps NOW.

175. Maurice says:

suck it pujols

176. Dewayne is Wise says:

Now its over

177. RetroRob says:

Pujols doesn’t appear to be in great shape to me. Maybe it’s just the cut of the new uniform.

178. Wow says:

This friggin team

179. DT says:

Standard bullshit game with the Angels…sigh Friday the 13th is bad luck for us.

180. TommyBoy says:

Qualls sucks! Why the fuck does he pitch in every fucking game?!

181. Dewayne is Wise says:

Laz diaz calls him safe before he got there

182. jazzman says:

Cash is such a shitty GM. Most of his moves come back to bite the Yankees in the ass. The empty cupboard that is our farm is infuriating. No team with this many resources should have such a shitty farm. No reinforcements coming for a while. Our old offense is finally being exploited. We will choke in the playoffs just as we have these past 2 years.

183. Athenian says:

Is Qualls now the defacto white flag?

184. Dewayne is Wise says:

Did diaz get that call right.

185. Yanks99 says:

That’s the third out. Should be 4-2.

186. Hummingbird S. says:

I really dont get why Qualls is on this team.. this is just plain stupid by Cashman

187. DT says:

Potentially lose one game after the break = this team is done. Woo Gotta love Yankee fans.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Well, the RISP failure is pretty frustrating, and it’s been a season-long thing minus a couple series recently.

• DT says:

No denying that…but they are still in first by a long shot and nothing really changes if they lose. No need for people to be so dramatic about it.

188. your mom says:

At least Baltimore is about to lose.

189. Yanks99 says:

A good rule of thumb is that if you know the umpire’s name, he probably sucks. It’s surprisingly true.

190. Kramerica Industries says:

Another lead-off extra base hit.

Wonder how they fuck this one up.

191. Cuso says:

Let’s ding up Downs’ pristine ERA

192. jazzman says:

Downs vs. Grandy. I have a bad feeling about this.

193. Dewayne is Wise says:

John smoltz should never be allowed to call yankee games
    What an asshole he is.

194. jazzman says:

What did he say?

195. Cuso says:

Wow. That was a tough, GREAT take by Curtis.

196. Kramerica Industries says:

Hmm…

3-4-5 coming up with a chance to tie it.

197. Andruw's Smile says:

Holy crap, is there a more overrated manager than Scoscia? If Girardi had a lefty in to face Jeter and Tex he’d be KILLED for it. Binder comments would be everywhere.

• DT says:

Scott Down is not a loogy though

• DT says:

Right when i said that…

• Tom says:

I was going to say the same thing (and then Tex broke RAB temporarily)

He uses Fuentes and Frieri as his 8th and 9th guys and decides who to use base on which inning has lefties coming up.

It’s not like he brought in a guy like Rapada to face Jeter.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Fuentes?

(I can see how you could confuse the two based on today’s performance)

• Andruw's Smile says:

Not by any means. But it makes no sense to have a lefty face Jeter and Tex with Granderson in between with good righties in the pen. No sense.

198. Hummingbird S. says:

damnit Teix, 2 89mph fastballs middle of the plate and up… you have to hit that cookie

199. Kramerica Industries says:

Holy SHIT Mark.

200. Dewayne is Wise says:

Tex beast

201. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

RISP THIS!!!

202. BK2ATL says:

Tex!!!!! Way to make it up!!!

We’re tied up!!!

203. CBean says:

TEIX!!!!!!

204. Hummingbird S. says:

oh yeah!! thats more like it! another one in the same spot

205. Cuso says:

HELL YEAH TEIX!

206. Hall and Nokes says:

Hey, unlimited Tex messages tonight!

207. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Yes. Go Teix.

208. your mom says:

Holy shit Tex! Guess I was wrong about a comeback.

209. Kramerica Industries says:

Don’t stop the runs now.

Brand new game. Time to win it.

210. Hummingbird S. says:

Alex still sucking at the 4-hole in the lineup… great decision Joe

211. Will The Thrill says:

That was beautiful. I’d almost forgotten what clutch hits from our 3-4 guys look/feel like.

212. Dewayne is Wise says:

Nice at bat by arod to kill the buzz

213. jjyank says:

Hey Athenian, remember when you said the game was over? Yeah, that’s why they play more than 7 innings. BOOM.

214. The Guns of Navarone says:

GAME OVER MAN!! GAME OVER!

215. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Hey guys, I just fist pumped involuntarily.

FUCK YEAH.

216. Athenian says:

Shit. Wrong again. No wonder Vegas loves me

217. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Woman’s sport my ass. Yeah Teix.

218. your mom says:

But if we had only scored those runners in the 6th and 7th innings. . . . . bad luck though.

219. CUYanks says:

I particularly appreciate Granderson avoiding the strikeout vs the lefty this inning.

220. The Guns of Navarone says:

Too bad 3-run home runs never happen in the postseason.

• Tom says:

It’s much easier to string together five hits against a good starter than a hit, walk and blast – don’t you know baseball? ;-)

(learn the narrative)

• RetroRob says:

…but they do. Power teams do better in the postseason than non-power teams.

Or perhaps your comment was not serious.

221. DERP says:

Has anyone heard from Brian S.? This must be a really tough time for him. I hope he doesn’t do anything stupid.

222. jjyank says:

Ohhh man, rain in a game against the Angels reminds me of the 2009 ALCS…can I has the same outcome pleaze?

223. Chop It Up says:

Who was the reliever with the mutton chops who was with the Jays a couple of years ago? I thought it was Downs but now I dont think ao. He had shitty, patchy mutton chops and he was lefty.

224. DERP says:

Has anyone mentioned that Pedro Ciriaco is 3-3 today?

225. Dewayne is Wise says:

Laz diaz screwing us its
    5-4 yankees with sori coming in to save it
    Fu Laz

226. RetroRob says:

Never realized what a disgustingly ugly person Scott Downs is.

227. The Guns of Navarone says:

Awesome walk. Hopefully Downs won’t be available tomorrow. He probably won’t be considering the short turnaround.

228. The Scheister of Doom says:

Don’t do it Giradi! Keep Jones in an PH for Nix!

229. Get Phelps Up says:

Let’s not forget Swish taking an XBH away from Trumbo with that great leaping catch.

• The Scheister of Doom says:

He didn’t look happy walking to the clubhouse, he was thinking, “THIS is how they repay me?!!”

230. Hummingbird S. says:

good job by Wise, now it’s up to Ibanez with a good count and a RISP

231. Dewayne is Wise says:

232. Hummingbird S. says:

PH Chavez you dumbfuck!!

233. Get Phelps Up says:

PH Chavez please.

234. Cy Pettitte says:

not PHing Chavez for Martin. uhhhh yuck.

235. Kramerica Industries says:

Russell Martin.

Hoo boy.

Shock the world, sir.

236. your mom says:

Martin will come thru here, double I say.

237. captain kiwi says:

ahhh! go on a beer run to come back 5-5!! let’s gooooooooooooooooooooooo

238. DERP says:

Martin!

239. Hummingbird S. says:

glad I was wrong! RUSSS!!!!

240. Dewayne is Wise says:

Love those milkshakes.

241. BK2ATL says:

Russell Martin!!! Welcome back!!!!

242. Get Phelps Up says:

I will happily eat crow.

243. Chop It Up says:

MARTIN FOR MVP!!!!!!!!!

244. RetroRob says:

Oh, Russell, why don’t you hit to the opposite field more since you seem to be able to do it!

245. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Very Psyched. Now I can watch Ancient Aliens on H2 and follow the rest of the game on Yahoo Box Scores!

246. The Scheister of Doom says:

MARTIN!!

247. Hummingbird S. says:

tack on Chavez!!

248. Betty Lizard says:

Russell!

249. Dewayne is Wise says:

Smoltz sounds like someone killed his dog.

250. jjyank says:

MARTIN

*Betty Lizard goes into a happy coma*

251. BK2ATL says:

What can’t be lost in all of this is Swisher’s walk, then Wise’s SB.

But Russell Fuckin’ Martin. How about that???

252. The Scheister of Doom says:

Is that hair on Martins chin or the worst razor cut on earth?! Dude, you’re a multimillionaire, buy new Mach-3 razors!

253. Kramerica Industries says:

One important thing to keep in mind – the Yankees just faced the middle of the order last inning.

Callaspo-Kendrick-Aybar due up in the 9th, with Hester following. Yankees can finish this game without facing Trout, let alone the middle of the order.

MFIKY time.

254. Get Phelps Up says:

That inning was straight outta 2009.

255. Greg says:

Well, look what’s happened since I’ve been out driving.

Tex is on a roll and Martin comes through.

256. DERP says:

No walks please.

257. Cuso says:

And Chad Qualls is in line for a “W”

258. The Scheister of Doom says:

Let’s go Sori!!!!

259. Dewayne is Wise says:

Lol girardi gave martin a water. Lol

260. Cy Pettitte says:

written in Soriano’s hat: “opt out clause after this season. Papelbon 4yr/$50mil”

261. RetroRob says:

Girardi basically admitting he’s scared to talk to MFIKY.

262. Kramerica Industries says:

Of course Kendrick gets on base.

Pain in the ass.

263. The Scheister of Doom says:

It wouldn’t hurt Sori to invest in some Proactive.

264. RetroRob says:

Throw out the book on Kendrick and get a new one.

265. Cuso says:

If MFIKY can wrap this up, we can attribute this win to the “Fukudome Effect.”

Meme it.

266. Cy Pettitte says:

Erick Ayabar and John Hester up with their .297 and .282 OBPs. please get them MFIKY.

267. captain kiwi says:

c’mon sori. dp right here.

268. DERP says:

It would probably be a good idea to get Hester out.

269. Dewayne is Wise says:

1 more

270. Kramerica Industries says:

Izturis.

Well, don’t let that annoying pissant prolong this game.

• your mom says:

Eww, Izturis is another one I can’t stand.

• Kramerica Industries says:

As Mike said in the series preview, but as we also have known for a long, long time now, the Angels are loaded in those crappy, bloop hitters who torch this team.

Izturis, Aybar, Callaspo. I want to include Kendrick, bu I always feel he should be better than he is.

271. Robinson Tilapia says:

I watched a bit of the game at first, then got distracted, then read a post on FB saying that had lost, and am just now getting back around to the game. Holy comeback!

272. Cy Pettitte says:

LOL

273. FIPster Doofus says:

Untuck that shit. #winning

274. Kramerica Industries says:

Russell Martin did that on purpose.

Ballgame.

275. DERP says:

good job, good effort Kendrick

276. CBean says:

This was an awesomely fun game!

277. RetroRob says:

Potential disaster to great ending!

278. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Russell!!!!!!!! FTW

279. Zooboy says:

Muscle!

280. Adam says:

I love this team…

281. Dewayne is Wise says:

Oh lol
    Martin for MVP
    THIS WAS A BIG ONE GUYS.

282. Get Phelps Up says:

This game is for Betty Lizard.

• Betty Lizard says:

“when it’s not always raining, there’ll be days like this . . . When everything falls into place with the flick of a switch. Well my mama told me there’ll be days like this.”

283. BK2ATL says:

Russell Martin wins the game for us!!!!!

Yanks win!!!

284. Slu says:

Wow. What stupid base running. I’ll take it.

285. Greg says:

Okay, jjyank, I didn’t really go. What a fantastic win for the Yankees.

286. Jose "I hit like Enrique" Iglesias says:

I think tomorrow needs to be a Russell Martin bashing free day on RAB…

He can ground into 4 double plays tomorrow and airmail 5 throws to center

287. DERP says:

LOL at Martin going crazy and Soriano not even cracking a smile

288. The Scheister of Doom says:

Well done Martin!! Save- Martin! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD….YEEEESSSSS!

289. Dela G says:

what a great win!

290. captain kiwi says:

very nice comeback! i’ll admit, i went to the store at the top of the 8th having already accepted defeat. nice to come back and see the comeback!

291. Cuso says:

Big day for Russell. I like it. Everyone chill for a couple games on him, now.

292. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

It’s really a shame that the Angels exposed that the Yankees will lose in the first round of the playoffs because the Yankees can’t hit in the clutch.

293. CUYanks says:

And with that throw by Russell Martin, Chad Qualls becomes as good a pitcher as Cliff Lee. What an accomplishment by Qualls!

294. Hall and Nokes says:

On MLB Network they mentioned that sometimes ARod comes over and finishes untucking MFIKY’s shirt if there’s any part still tucked in. What the?

295. jjyank says:

Great game, great win. Second half, here comes the Yankees. Brace yourselves, MLB.

296. Kramerica Industries says:

Wasn’t this kind of game that the Angels always beat the Yankees in?

• RetroRob says:

Usually not with HRs, but the same basic effect. Ahead, seemingly in control, then crushing defeat late in the game. I much prefer it when the Yankees do it to them.

297. Kramerica Industries says:

Hopefully MLB.tv stays this way.

I never get to watch YES post-game. I’m not leaving this feed until MLB kills it.

298. RetroRob says:

Teixeira really is the player of the game, not Martin.

299. DblHdr says:

Where’s Tabbert ? LMAO

• Dewayne is Wise says:

Is that you Tabbert,
      Im half hung over my knees hurt ,and if your going to do this shit
      Your suppose t0 say your the fucking Yankees!

300. Robinson Tilapia says:

Greg, where exactly do you live that you go on such lovely Yankee joy drives every night?

Madison, New Jersey.

And I don’t go every night, only nights when I think we are losing the game and I don’t want to be frustrated.

Intresetingly enough, the last time I went on one was when Kuroda gave up 5 runs in the first to the Red Sox.

301. Get Phelps Up says:

The winning run came in on a single.

So clearly that’s the only way they’ll be able to win in the postseason.

302. Adam says:

Wow…incredibly stupid base running in the Rays/Sawks game by Zobrist in the bottom of the 8th.

303. CUYanks says:

And we pick up a game on the Orioles and Blue Jays, as well as one of the Rays/Red Sox.

304. The Scheister of Doom says:

Michael Kay combs his hair with such elegance.

305. The Scheister of Doom says:

And makeup too? I’m liking this broke MLB.tv.

• Kramerica Industries says:

In one way, I dig Michael Kay’s suit.

At the same rate, I wish I had the extensive suit wardrobes that I’m sure Mike and the rest have. I’m a sucker for a good suit.

306. CUYanks says:

For what it’s worth, Ellsbury doesn’t look great in his first game back. Probably a bit rusty though.

307. CBean says:

ha. someone at MLB thinks the game ended differently

308. Greg says:

By the way, before tonight, Scott Downs had given up only 1 earned run in 30 innings of work. Good stuff for us.

309. JohnnyC says:

I’m sure Cashman wouldn’t have released Aceves if he knew he could throw mid-90s gas. But then again the Rangers wouldn’t have traded Sammy Sosa if they knew he could hit 66 homers in a season.

310. that space cadet glow says:

I should probably duck after posting this, but…from Coolstandings:

Playoff status Lock