In case you missed it earlier, OF Tyler Austin will not participate in the Futures Game this Sunday. It’s unclear if he’ll be replaced on the roster but if not, the Yankees won’t have a representative at the game and that would be lame. In other news, both Dante Bichette Jr. (Not So Hot) and Melky Mesa (Man Among Boys) were each featured in this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet.
Forgive me, but I’m taking the easy way out on a Friday…
- Triple-A Empire State (win): 2B Corban Joseph (double, homer, walk), DH Ronnie Mustelier (single, double, homer), and RF Cole Garner (double and triple) were the stars on offense, though lots of guys chipped in. LHP Mike O’Connor allowed one run in five innings before the bullpen managed four hitless and scoreless innings with six strikeouts.
- Double-A Trenton (win): Whole lotta offense, including two hits from 2B Jose Pirela (double and homer), three from 2B David Adams (two doubles and single), four from DH Zoilo Almonte (all single), two from RF Shane Brown (singles), and two from C Jeff Farnham (singles and homer). LHP Vidal Nuno was the big story, surrendering just one run in six innings in his latest gem. He allowed just three hits and one walk while striking out ten.
- High-A Tampa (loss): CF Mason Williams had two knocks including a double while LF Ramon Flores and DH Slade Heathcott each singled. Slade drew another walk, his seventh in the last four games. 1B Kyle Roller and 2B Anderson Feliz both doubled. RHP Jose Ramirez struck out five and allowed one run in 3.2 innings before the bullpen melted down spectacularly.
- Low-A Charleston (loss): Their only hits on the night were singles by 2B Ali Castillo, 3B Dante Bichette Jr., and C Francisco Arcia. That’s all the offense. LHP Matt Bashore allowed just two hits in six shutout innings before RHP Phil Wetherell chipped in two scoreless of his own. RHP Mariel Checo surrendered the walk-off dinger.
- Short Season Staten Island (win): LF Taylor Dugas did leadoff hitters things, getting on-base three times (single and two walks). No one was able to drive him in though. CF Ravel Santana walked and struck out but both 3B Matt Duran and RF Exicardo Cayones each singled. DH Danny Lopez had two hits — including a triple — and drove in three. LHP Jeremy Bleich threw two scoreless frames in his latest rehab appearance, then RHP Andrew Benak relieved him with five scoreless.
- Rookie GCL Yanks (loss): They had just two hits as a team, neither of which came from C Peter O’Brien, 1B Bubba Jones, 2B Jerison Lopez, RF Yeicok Calderon, or DH Ericson Leonora. RHP Graham Stoneburner allowed one unearned run in two rehab innings and RHP Jordan Cote followed by allowing one unearned run in 4.1 innings, striking out four against just one walk. He’s been very good in the early going.