Jul

Saturday Night Open Thread

(REUTERS/Robert Galbraith)

I used to think that Saturday night games were the worst, but it turns out Saturday night games on the West Coast are my own personal baseball hell. I guess the good news is that they give you all day to do whatever, but I’d rather spend the day watching baseball and the night doing social stuff. Eh, one game won’t kill me.

Anyway, now that you’re sufficiently bored, use this as your open thread for the night until the game starts. MLB Network is airing a game tonight but the teams depend on where you live. You can talk about whatever you like here though, have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Dino Velvet says:

speaking of boring, Robbie looks bored (or at least sleepy) in that photo.

2. jjyank says:

Man I hate West Coast trips. I get why last night’s game was late, with the local fans needing to get home from work and all. But why the hell does the Saturday game need to be a night game? You’d think they would want to maximize TV ratings, therefore doing a 1:05 start (4:05 here) so they can snag more of the East Coast viewership. I’d imagine quick a few less people are watching the game on the East Coast at 9 PM on a Saturday.

Though I’ll be watching, so I guess I can’t complain too much. I just never understood why they wouldn’t play a day game in this situation.

• jjyank says:

Read “quick” as “quite”. No idea how I messed that one up.

• Get Phelps Up says:

They wouldn’t care about east coast viewership because the A’s gain nothing if more people are watching them on the other team’s TV network, weather it be YES or NESN or whatever. The only revenue they get is from viewers of their own local network, so they would have no reason to adjust their starting times to attract more east coast viewers. Their only goal is attracting the most local viewers as possible.

• jjyank says:

That makes sense. But still, even for local viewership, wouldn’t there people more people around to watch a game at 1 rather than 7 on a Saturday?

• Get Phelps Up says:

Yeah, last time the Yankees were in Oakland they started the Saturday game at 1pm local time so I don’t know what’s up with that. Even though I live out on the West Coast and can’t complain much about the lateness of the games out here, I still would much rather have a 1pm game than a 6pm game on a Saturday.

3. Ichiro says:

Save me from Seattle!!!!

4. Ichiro says:

Save me from Seattle!

5. Greg says:

What do we make of Justin Ruggiano?

Never performed well in the majors. 30 years old. He’s with the Marlins and in 104 PA’s, he’s hitting .375/.441/.712 with 7 homers and 18 Rbis including a solo shot of AJ Burnett tonight.

6. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I was at the game last night. My notes:

1. My wife’s new favorite player is, as she now calls him, “Yo-penis Cespedes.”

2. Oakland’s stadium might be ugly and the fans relatively sparse, but the bleacher people are pretty good and knowledgable fans and are fun to be around.

3. Milwaukee has racing sausages during the game. Washington has racing presidents. Yankee Stadium has racing subway trains (do they still do that?). Oakland is so crappy, they don’t even have good enough graphics to do something like trains or cars. They just have these circular colored chips (like poker chips) that slide along a track as their between-inning racing entertainment. You’re supposed to root for one of the three colors for some reason. It’s really the dumbest thing ever.

4. Disappointing result, but it was a good game overall. This was the 2nd walk-off loss I’ve been to in Oakland — the other one was Scutaro’s homer off Mariano. I have to say, a small part of me gets a kick out of seeing the players and fans celebrate a walk-off even if it’s a loss for me, as long as it’s not a particularly important game. The Scutaro game was a real shocker though, that sucked.

• Dino Velvet says:

In “Moneyball” they use a lot of real footage from actual games at Oakland and their fans seem to be as fun loving as any other city.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I would say more so than average. They’re just had a crappy team for a little while now (which might be turning around), but in general they’re relatively knowledgable and intense.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Same goes for the Warriors, who are next door. Last season I was at a Knicks game there before Linsanity began, and when Lin came off the bench for 2 minutes of garbage time, the fans went nuts, because he grew up in nearby Palo Alto and rode the Warriors’ bench the previous season. That takes a pretty savvy group of fans, since at that point I’m pretty sure no one else knew who the hell he was.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

One more note I forgot to mention:

5. When Chavez came to bat, I was waiting to see the fans’ reception. Strangely, there was nothing. Then the PA announced his name after the first pitch for some reason, and then everyone started booing. I was pretty surprised, both that they didn’t realize he was up to bat before it was announced and that they booed him. What did he ever do to deserve that?

• Jeff B says:

My guess is that he is wearing a Yankees uniform AND it’s not his first trip back. I believe he got a standing ovation last year, despite the uni.

I notice the same thing with Swish, though not as much. He seemed to get a mixed reaction from the crowd.

Another thing about Chavez is that now that the A’s are no longer paying him 10+ million a year, he’s healthy as can be. Gotta remember that from 2008-2010, the A’s paid him a total of $35 million for exactly 64 games total. He’s on pace to play in 80-100 with the Yanks this year.

7. Greg says:

By the way, Matt Garza has been taken out of his game in the third inning. Possible trade

8. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

Not just talking about this series, but i am a believer in this A’s team.. They’ve got a nice well rounde team with solid pitching, and some nice pieces on offense, and a good pen.. Youth could be there downfall, but i would not want to play them in a 1st rd series..