Jul

Sunday Trade Deadline Open Thread

The trade deadline is 4pm ET on Tuesday, and the Yankees will definitely be in the market for a fill-in third baseman with Alex Rodriguez on the DL with a broken bone in his hand. Pitching help — both rotation and bullpen — could also be a target, though they figure to be done looking for outfielders following the Ichiro Suzuki pickup. We’re going to keep track of any Yankees-related trade deadline rumors right here throughout the day, so check back often for updates. The latest stuff will be on the bottom…

• Chase Headley is still an option for the Bombers, who could use him at third base while A-Rod is hurt and then potentially stick him in right field to replace Nick Swisher next season. The two sides have not exchanged names yet, and the Yankees worry the asking price will be too high [Ken Rosenthal & Joel Sherman]
  • The Yankees did try to acquire Marco Scutaro before he was traded to the Giants on Friday night. They wanted Colorado to foot a significant portion of the $2.25M left on his contract, but that wasn’t happening. [Jon Morosi & Sherman]
  • Rockies right-hander Rafael Betancourt is on the Yankees’ radar. He’s under contract for $4.25M next year and continues to post fantastic peripherals (2.88 FIP), though he’s one of the most fly ball prone pitchers in the game (career 29.6% grounders). You’re also going to pay a premium for a Proven Closer™ tag, so I prefer teammate Matt Belisle. [Troy Renck]
  • The Yankees have not been aggressive in their pursuit of Headley but they have inquired. Don’t expect them to part with much of anything for a stopgap third baseman. [Marc Carig]
  • Some other names that have popped up in the team’s third base search include Willie Bloomquist, Brendan Ryan, Yunel Escobar, Chone Figgins, Jose Lopez, Cody Ransom (!), Mark Reynolds, and Scott Rolen. Obviously some are more available and desirable than others. [Jon Heyman]

1. Michael Collins says:

Why such a rush to get rid of Swisher? He brings a lot of heart to the team , is an excellent fielder and a good switch hitter . Keep him !

• jjyank says:

I agree. But there’s always the concern that Swisher prices himself out of the team’s $189 mil plan, so having a contingency in house isn’t a bad idea.

That said, I hope they keep Swish.

• Steve S. says:

No rush, just that he’s going to get paid serious money on the open market and there are cheaper options available that can be just as productive.

BTW-”Heart”? Are you new to this blog?

• JohnnyC says:

Astronaut or Irish revolutionary?

• RetroRob says:

I wonder how Michael feels about getting that close to history only to circle around the moon while Neil and Buzz took at the glory?

• Adayoff says:

Matt Kemp is two year younger than Cano and got eight years. Cano at 10 years??? Never – unless Hank Steinbrenner takes the reins again. Has anyone ever heard the definitive story on why Hank dropped out as the Steinbrenner running its baseball interests?

• jjyank says:

I don’t think Hank “dropped out” so much as Hal just locked him in his bedroom and gave him a bunch of legos to play with.

• Evan3457 says:

Because he’s not that good, and he’s getting to an age where players of his skills tend to fall off a cliff.

• The Irony Guy says:

Look at what corner outfielders get in free agency. Werth gets 100 million, Crawford gets 120 million or something, Jason bay got a huge deal, Matt Holliday got a huge deal, etc.

It’s delusional that people think Swish is gonna be had for a AAV of 10 million. And he’s not going to be worth 15-18 million over 4 to 5 years.

• RI$P FTW says:

Heart = LOL

• Preston says:

Maybe the term “heart” isn’t the best. But I think we underestimate what character can contribute to a team. 162 games is a long season and Swisher is upbeat, likeable and hardworking. We have brought in mostly good character guys over the last few seasons in Granderson, Sabathia, Teixeira and Swish. I think that there is an extra game or two to be had in the standings each year by having a locker room full of guys like that. I don’t think we should pay him more for it. But I do think it makes us more likely to try to keep him.

2. MikedJones says:

I like swish but I think he’s very replaceable and for far less money.

3. jjyank says:

Via MLBTR about a possible Cano extension:

“Agent Scott Boras, who represents Cano, said it costs elite prices to buy elite players out of free agent years. Boras pointed out that the Yankees generate far more revenue than most teams and said clubs sometimes have to commit to ten-year deals for the privilege of locking up an elite player for his prime years.”

Please Boras, don’t do this to me! Robbie is my favorite player right now, you better not price him out of the Yankees’ plans with a 10 year deal. I realize that Boras so no reason to shoot any lower, that’s how negotiations work. But 10 years for a middle infielder is insane.

• Monty says:

Im a huge cano fan myself But if Borass is going to force the Yankees into another 10 year A rod deal then I wouldn’t even pick up his option next year and send him packing. Including next year I’d extend him to Matt Kemps deal 8 years $160m.

• jjyank says:

I’d do that deal as well. If Boras won’t back down from 10 years, I gotta say trading him in the offseason might be the better route, as much as it pains me to type that.

• Ted Nelson says:

Why wouldn’t the Yankees pick up a way below market calue option in their best player?

• The Ghost of Joe Dugan says:

If Boras and Cano are demanding that type of contract the Yankees should look to deal him in the off-season. Giving him that kind of deal would be just more of the same kind of deals that have burned them in the past. It would be a perfect opportunity to bring in some elite young talent and reduce the payroll at the same time.

• DM says:

I’m not sure how much of a haul he’d bring in a trade scenario either. He’ll most likely be a rental for any team — and not an inexpensive one. He might be more valuable to just keep and help them reach the playoffs in 2013. After all, he is your best player right now.

• Marcy says:

That made me nauseous. Robbie is too old for a 10 year contract – I love him but, 10 years — really?
      Alex was really durable — until he wasn’t.
      Is this going to be another – take it to other teams and see if they’ll give it to you?
      I guess, Robbie’s not Derek – not an, I want to be a Yankee for life guy.
      I wonder if the players don’t realize the reality of the under $189M — or if they just don’t care whether their teams field a good product or not.

The Angels seem to realize they need to win now because Albert is getting old already and while they may want to win “every year” but they aren’t under the type of pressure the Yankees are under — or maybe they aren’t under as much pressure since George died.
      The Yankees need to be able to field a team and with all the new rules and restrictions in the CBA re drafting, luxury taxes – looks like they’ll be trading Robbie for a BIG HAUL and Cashman needs to know it now – probably why he’s going against his usual wait until the end of the contract stance.

I’m stopping – I can’t think about this now.

• RetroRob says:

The Yankees certainly could trade Cano this offseason for prospects, but how much of a big haul they’d get is questionable. The acquiring team knows they have him for one year. It will limit the haul.

• DM says:

Is this really a surprise? You don’t switch to Boras to sign a team-friendly extension. But I think the new terrain might change the usual Yankee policy on extending young players prior to them reaching FA or last arbitration years. Maybe you dangle early security to guys like Nova — or even Hughes — rather than waiting for the showdown then paying up. The Yankees usually risk the latter b/c they could always ante up; but maybe those days are over.

• jjyank says:

Ten years surprised me, though I guess it shouldn’t with Boras. I realize there is no way Cano signs a team friendly extension, he already did that once. I think the Matt Kemp extension is a decent comparable. Both elite guys playing up-the-middle positions. I would like to see the Yankees extend Cano at market value now, because it worries me what he might get as a free agent.

• DM says:

I’m sure the Yankees would do a deal like that — but if Boras had been Kemp’s agent, that deal would not have happened. Boras would be prepping his binders and books for free agency that explain how Matt Kemp is actually — if you look at this way or that way — the best player that ever lived. Dave Stewart played it safe with Kemp — lucrative, but safe. Boras doesn’t operate like that with players in their prime.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, you’re probably right. I just don’t want to think about the two possible scenarios where 1. Cano gets a 10 year deal with the Yankees, or 2. Cano wears another uniform. I feel like I’m usually a pretty down to earth and rational fan, but I have my blinders on for Cano, I will admit that. Bernie was my favorite player growing up, but Cano is my favorite player as an adult. I am not rational with him.

• cr1 says:

Not you in particular JJ but I am continually amazed at fans here on one of the more ‘intelligent’ blogs who either never understand or never accept the elementary fact that very good players are underpaid early in their careers and overpaid later and the ideal is that it will even out. Nobody here complains if we get the early great years for essentially nothing, and nobody reasonable should complain if that gets made up for in the later years.

When it does tend to sting is when someone else got the cheap early great years (like Seattle did with Al) and we get the overpaid end of the deal. But that’s a whole other discussion.

• jjyank says:

I’m totally cool with the general concept, but it’s not the money that would bother me. A ten year deal (as we are beginning to see with A-Rod) has the potential to really hamstring a franchise down the road. It does not amaze me that guys get overpaid on the open market at all. It would amaze me if Cano got a 10 year deal though. A-Rod was historically great and had already shifted to a corner spot. Pujols is a first basemen, probably the best position for an aging player.

I want the Yankees to pay fair market value for Cano, and maybe even slightly overpay. I have no delusions about taking a home town discount here. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I think the Kemp extension is a fair comparable.

• cr1 says:

Not to quibble, jj, but I meant to include the years as part of the later-career compensation package that makes up for the early years of indentured servitude.

Sorry, I haven’t looked at the Kemp details so can’t argue whether it is a fair comparable, but am willing to assume you know more than I!

• jjyank says:

Well teams can’t just hand out 10 year deals as a thank you for 3 years of pre-arbitration. On some level, the player needs to be rewarded, but it should (in a fair deal) also not hamstring the team down the road.

Coming off an MVP season, A-Rod got a 10 year deal. Surely he thought he earned that contract. But how much are the Yankees going to be regretting that contract in 2-3 more years? Add in that A-Rod was historically great and had already transitioned to a corner position, and then think about a 10 year deal for a middle infielder, and that seems crazy. Cano can have the largest contract ever given to a second baseman as a thank you for his years of service. And he still wouldn’t even come close to the deal that Boras is hinting at.

4. Smart Guy says:

trade cano

5. dick nixon says:

why is everyone so frugal look at whatls did they made a sttrength stronger? go get josh johnson cc sux stop fucking around with these mediocre guys. need a real ace

6. Peter North says:

I don’t understand why they didn’t just write the check for Scutaro and be done with it. I hope it’s cuz Cash has something better in the works.

7. dick nixon says:

Anyone think Billy Beane would want tmi “o be YANKS gm next year

8. bebe rebozo says:

Oakland has had 1 great month in like 6 years.

9. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

I should like to see Nunez up as soon as he is physically well and able to play in the big show again. I prefer Kotaras to platoon with Martin. Even if we don’t get Headly, I think that a platoon of , Chavez,Nix and Nunez could tide us over until Arod can play. I thought that last night’s lineup was one of the weakest since the lean years, yet it put on a fight. Please don’t show me that lineup two days in a row. Please!

10. Rich in NJ says:

They could use Granderson and Cano to get younger and cheaper if their contract demands are unreasonable (i.e., too long). They may have to take a step back for a year, but if winning the WS every single year is really their goal, they could win more WS over time with smart, forward-looking trades than paying Cano and/or Granderson big bucks in their very late 30s.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Personally, I believe that the 2 goals of $189M Payroll and Winning the W.S. Every Year will prove to be mutually exclusive…not if they were starting from scratch but rather due to the albatross contracts that they have (obviously Alex but DJ, Tex and maybe CC in a couple of years.)

• Marcy says:

I think that was the intention of the new rules; it will be interesting to see how many clubs spend the $189M. The bigger problem seems to be the new draft rules and then wanting to create an Int’l draft.

• Tom says:

5 years/125mil (and negate next year’s 15mil)?

He gets a 10mil raise which he wouldn’t get if he waits for FA; also gives him a shot at another fairly sizeable contract. Basically trading off:

(15mil next year + say 7/140 or 8/160) vs (5/125 + another contract entering his age 35 season)

If his target is 7/140 then it means he needs a 3yr/30mil contract after the 5 year deal is up to break even. If his target was 8/160 then you are talking needing a 4yr/50mil deal. It introduces a bit of risk but if he doesn’t decline rapidly he probably gets more money going with the shorter deal.

I know athletes generally favor the total as opposed to the AAV, but maybe they can go really high on the AAV and tear up the option and keep the contract length down. The only problem with this is that it kind of works against the 189mil plan

11. JohnnyC says:

Cano’s exorbitant demands will probably mean Granderson saying au revoir. And I can’t see the Yankees letting both go. If that’s the case then Grandy gets traded by the deadline in 2013 if not sooner.

12. Dangerious:

Cano, 29, felt underpaid on the contract he signed with his previous representatives and wants to make a score on his next contract, Sherman reports.
    –via mlb trade rumors

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I LOVE that (sarcasm). He traded for Security of a Long Term contract against AAV and then looks back in hindsight at ONLY the AAV. What a joke. If I’m Cash I’d be disgusted by that if it is brought up in negotiations.

• I really think that’s just Boras posturing. Most of the time when ridiculous quotes from players who never really say things like that I just assume it’s the agent being an ass. Either way, if the Boras/Cano camp is really looking for a 10 year deal, that really has to make the decision for the Yankees right there. I love Cano, but I think giving him 8 years including the extension year is over paying in terms of years. I’d rather give him 6 at a higher AAV than too many extra years.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Yes, very likely Boras posturing indeed, but that doesn’t make it any better for me. Just a really dumb thing to say, IMO.

• Andruw's Smile says:

He didn’t say anything really. It was reported by Sherman (yuck) that he felt underpaid. I would feel that most Major Leaguers “feel underpaid”.

13. Al in Plainsboro NJ says:

Let’s try this . Move Tex to 3ed till A rod comes back and we pick up David Ortiz and let him play first. When A rod comes back Ortiz moves to DH

• Brooklyn Ed says:

HELL NO!!!!

• Mike Stanley says:

I want this suggestion to be a serious one more than anything else in the world.

• Steve (different one) says:

Just for gits and shiggles, how do we “pick up Ortiz”? Was he waived?

• You forget, we have the “force trade” option on. Any team has to deal us any player we want, for anything we choose to give up. Then we simply go into Ortiz’s stats and make him an awesome defensive 1st baseman. It’s just like playing a baseball video game when you’re a kid, duh.

• jjyank says:

And if the Yankees ever lose with this new super lineup, all we have to do is pause the game and put the difficulty down to “rookie”.

Or we could pause, switch the controller to the other team, force the pitcher to throw a couple of meatballs down the middle, then switch back!

• Haha, I remember in like MLB 2005, before it was MLB THE SHOW, I went into everybody’s stats and made them great at everything then went and looked at their baseball card. Jorge Posada’s read: Blinding speed, wind him up and watch him go on the base paths, as well as Defensively brilliant, few in the game compete with him.

It was at that point I thought, ok…this is a little much. Maybe I shouldn’t do this.

• jjyank says:

Hahaha that’s awesome. Most of my baseball video game playing game a long time ago. The MLB 2K games just aren’t worth the price, I really wish there was a good MLB game for us xbox users.

• Alkaline says:

I loved High Heat 2004. Simple PC game. I think you used the arrow keys and 4 other buttons for all the commands. I wasted a lot of time in college playing that. I wish there was a simple baseball game like that.

Did anyone ever play the Cal Ripken MMO?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

A forklift and/or loose Dominican woman.

14. Nathan says:

Why would the Yankees need Bettencourt? Assuming Joba comes back OK…

Soriano in the 9th.
    Robertson in the 8th.
    Joba/Logan in the 7th.
    Rapada/Eppley/Phelps for the rest.

Where is the need for another bullpen arm? I didn’t even include Aardsma. I guess if Rafael doesn’t cost much then it doesn’t matter.

• DM says:

“Assuming Joba comes back OK…”

That’s the issue. I don’t think the Yankees will trust Eppley to get bigger, late-inning outs. And most everyone here was penciling in Aardsma a month ago — but he still isn’t pitching. Bolstering the pen is almost automatically considered this time of year — even if you already have a good one.

• Andruw's Smile says:

Can never hurt to pile up arms because pitchers, especially bullpen guys, can be erratic. Injuries, poor performance. Basically, if it doesn’t cost much and its an upgrade over Qualls (or Eppley once Joba’s back), I have no problem with it.

15. Kevin G. says:

So Miami is looking for a Teixeira like package for Johnson? Teixeira for Johnson! No?

16. Marcy says:

Anyone think Cash picks up X for the minors to see if his wrist is okay?

17. Countryclub says:

How many of you guys would trade Hughes for Pence (I bring up Pence because he’s a realistic target). I’m not asking if you think the teams would do it; I’m looking for your opinion as a fan.

My opinion: I would think about it only if I already knew I wasn’t going to extend Hughes at some point. But even then, I think I’d stick with Hughes.

• Jersey Joe says:

I would definitely trade Hughes + a few prospects for Pence, but the Phillies don’t really need a fly ball pitcher in CBP, and they have more than enough starting pitching. Only if they trade Lee would they think of accepting this trade.

• Countryclub says:

Yeah, I was taking the teams needs and feelings out of it. Just trying to gauge how people feel about Hughes.

• Jersey Joe says:

Maybe a 3 team trade could work well.

Twins get: Hughes (need K pitcher in Target field), 2 C prospects from Phillies

Phillies get: Valencia (out of favor, could do better in NL/hitters park), Nunez (insurance for Rollins trade and backup IF/UTIL player, ideal for NL), Montgomery (Phillies’ starting pitching is set, not so much their bullpen)

Yankees get: Pence

Thoughts?

• Andruw's Smile says:

There’s no way the Twins would want to get involved for Hughes. He doesn’t fit the Twins mold AT ALL, and there is literally no reason they would trade for a guy with only one more year of control and is getting expensive.

• Brian S. says:

No because Pence isn’t that good. Even Swisher is better than him.

18. Marcy says:

Not for a second.

19. Countryclub says:

Mustelier off the AAA DL

20. Countryclub says:

Felix was scratched from his rehab start today. Sore elbow. Might make the Rangers do something rash before Tuesday.

21. Marcy says:

Well, D-backs got a 3rd baseman – now we know why Tampa got Tat-man

22. Andruw's Smile says:

Really thinking that Cashman is just going to stand pat and make a run at J Upton this offseason, and if that fails make a run at re-signing Swish. Just don’t see any favorable trade opportunities out there, as Ichiro may have been the only one that made sense.

23. Hoss says:

Cano to Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton and Josh Johnson. Whay say ye?

24. Andruw's Smile says:

If the team really believes that Nix is a capable backup SS (which they seem to), is it possible that Mustellier comes up at some point to take Pena’s spot? And if not Mustillier, maybe Adams? I would think that Pena’s spot is going to go to someone else sometime very soon.

• Kosmo says:

As much as I´d like to see Mustelier sooner than later I´m guessing he´ll be a Sept. callup which is just a few weeks away. I also see Adams as a possible Sept. callup.

25. Kosmo says:

Betancourt
    Joba
    Robertson
    Phelps
    Soriano
    Logan
    Rapada

That would be one solid bullpen. Eppley would be a Sept callup or recalled if someone was injured.

26. Brian S. says:

Nix/Chavez platoon>all those players you listed. I mean seriously, Chone Figgins?

27. Murderers' Row Boat says:

I can’t see the Yankees trading for bullpen help when they have lots of young arms in the minors that could help rest vets during call ups.

However I can see the Yankees not doing anything and making a move for Justin Upton in the offseason. At that point you’d be buying a 24 year cheap, and a guy who you could lock up for a good number of years at the age of 26.

I can’t see Scott Rolen wanting to leave the Reds. He already has a ring and unless the Reds are willing to take a salary dump he’s staying put.

28. DERP says:

I think there is a chance that Reynolds gets waived when Robert Andino comes back this week. He can play third (not well) and mashes lefties. Possible platoon with Chavez? He’s due about 2.5M for the rest of the year and has an 11M option (500K buyout) for next year.

29. Mattchu12 says:

Anybody see these League-for-Belt rumor for the M’s/Giants? How many first basemen are the Mariners going to trade for? They’ve already got Smoak and Montero (when they figure out he can’t catch), is it any wonder why they are so bad?

• Brian S. says:

I can’t believe they would trade Belt for a relief pitcher. The dude still has upside.

• Andruw's Smile says:

It didn’t seem to be a rumor as much as separate rumors: The Mariners are close to dealing League, The Mariners really want Belt, and the Giants are interested in League.

Doesn’t necessarily mean that League-Belt trade is gonna happen. Although, stranger things have happened.

• Mattchu12 says:

I kind of assumed that the two went together, but you are right, they could very well be two separate rumors. Nevertheless, my surprise is still the M’s going after yet another first base prospect. Seems like it’s all they’re interested in these days.

30. Andruw's Smile says:

Here’s an A-Rod replacement that nobodies thought of. And yes, it is out of left field and there’s almost no chance it would happen. But, every other 3rd base possibility has been explored, so might as well get into fantasy land a bit.

The Phillies are bad right now, and they’re paying some guys some crazy money. How about Chase Utley at 3B for the rest of the year, and then he can man the DH spot next year? His deal runs through next year, and the Yankees can take on all of his contract so the Phillies could actually pay all their guys. Idk what it would take prospect-wise, but if the Phils sell (which it seems like they may now), Utley would be crazy-interesting.

Okay, back from fantasy-land.