Jul

Thursday Night Open Thread

Shouldn’t he be ringing the closing bell? (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

The good news is that the Yankees are going to get their second and final West Coast trip of the season out of the way in mid-to-late-July. In fact, after this trip the farthest they’ll have to travel the rest of the year is to Tampa. That’s pretty cool. Unfortunately that means we have to wait a few more hours for tonight’s game and stay up late to catch all nine innings. It could be worse, they could be going to Anaheim.

Here’s an open thread to hold you over until the regular game thread comes along. The only baseball game being played right now is the Red Sox and White Sox (Buchholz vs. Quintana), and you can watch that one on MLB Network. You folks all know how this works by now, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. ultimate913 says:

Mike, you said that the AAA(A) veterans will be moving on in the upcoming week(s) as promotions from AA begin to happen.

Who exactly do you expect to be promoted within that time frame? Is Adams one of them?

• Mike Axisa says:

Probably not with Joseph and Antonelli in AAA. He missed a ton of time with the ankle, let him spend the rest of the year there so he can catch his breath a bit.

Nuno might move up, maybe a bullpen arm. I suppose Mesa is a possibility as well.

2. JohnnyC says:

Those recent talks between Yanks and Braves about Ramiro Pena weren’t entirely fruitless. Dan Brewer just got traded to Atlanta…more as a favor than anything else. Fringy aging prospect who wasn’t going to get any ABs in OF either for Trenton or Empire State.

3. Bartolo's Colon says:

I love and hate the 10 pm weekday games. I don’t have to fight my girlfriend for the tv or feel guilty for taking over the tv or yelling at it. plus there are only about 5-10 of them the whole year, so they are somewhat unique. i hate waking up at 6:30 the next morning however

4. Craig says:

Apparently Philly is offering Hamels a 6/$144 million deal. Would that be good or bad news for them? That’s roughly $124 million tied into 6 players (Hamels, Lee, Howard, Halladay, Utley, Pence)

• JohnnyC says:

They’ll trade Victorino, Rollins and maybe one of Halladay/Lee.

• Brian S. says:

Hamels might actually be worth that money. The Phillies operate on a 180 million dollar payroll so I think they will be fine.

• CS Yankee says:

Heard 6/130, either way, no way.

He is no CC, he is no Roy Halladay.

He is an ace, and would be the best pitcher on about 20 teams, however he is not a 7-WAR type guy.

The top tier teams should not be spending 25M$ per year on their second starter and tie the franchise down with a 150M$ obligation.

• vicki says:

he may not be roy halladay but isn’t he like ten years younger? i’d move doc or lee at a discount before i’d let hamels go.

• CS Yankee says:

You should pay the big dollars for in this order;

1) The highest level of talent at the youngest age (’05 Arod)
          2) The highest level of talent at a decent age. (’09 Halladay)
          3) Slightly less talent and a young-mid age. (’12 Hamels)
          ….
          19) Less talent, high maintenance, mid age (’10 Lackey)
          …..
          99) Trade young talent for washed up, over paid, 5th OF’er (’10 Wells)

5. Brian S. says:

Any hockey fans here? Thoughts on the best blueliner in the league possibly moving to the Atlantic division?

• Craig says:

The Flyers most likely winding up with him leads me to believe Pronger’s career is over. Who needs Matt Carle?

• Will (the other one) says:

That deal is unbelievable. As always, the division should be a lot of fun next year…

• Craig says:

Even without Parise, watch out for NJ.

• Will (the other one) says:

We’ll see. As a Devils fan (please, hold the rotten fruit) I’m not in love with our offseason business so far. Parise leaving was an inevitability, but otherwise we bid against ourselves for Marty and Salvador and brought in a couple fringe players on deals that are too long. I hope there’s more in the works, but with the current ownership crisis, I’m not so sure that’s a realistic hope.

• Mike Axisa says:

The way it’s frontloaded, the Preds would have to pay him a quarter of the franchise’s net worth in the first four years if they match. That’s insane.

• FIPster Doofus says:

As a fan of an Eastern team, I can only hope Nashville matches the offer sheet. Philly is tough enough to deal with as it is. Throw in Weber and they’re scary good.

6. Craig says:

Also, anyone else going to their respective midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises?

• CS Yankee says:

Is that the story about Hoosier basketball in the ’70′s?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I wish. I haven’t set foot in a movie theater over a year. When I have free time away from my kid, the last place I want to spend it at is in a movie theater. Hope people enjoy it, though!

• vin says:

Still haven’t finished watching the last one (the Heath Ledger one). It was entertaining, but it just doesn’t hold my interest.

• Pat D says:

I avoid midnight screenings like the plague.

My dad and I are going to a noon IMAX showing tomorrow.

7. Will (the other one) says:

So how many more ABs does Pedro Ciriaco need before he can qualify as an official .400 hitter this season? I hear the last guy to do it also played in Boston.

8. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Somewhat humorous.

• vin says:

That was actually pretty funny. Wells is one of those guys who is just naturally entertaining (whether you like him or not is a different story). He’s more David Cone, Al Leiter, Paul O’Neill than John Flaherty, Tino Martinez, Lou Pineilla. To put it in terms of YES broadcasters.

9. Greg says:

the thing about Ciriaco is that in 74 career plate appearances, he’s hitting
    .365/.382/.500

In limited action with the Pirates (33 PA’s), he hit .333/.350/.513.

So he has not just hit up in Boston in the major leagues

• Ted Nelson says:

Dickerson was the same way, though he’s actually better. It’s a tiny sample.

Ciriaco has like one or two career MiLB seasons over a .700.

10. VT Yankee Fan says:

As a night shift worker I love the west coast trips.

11. Brian S. says:

Five shutout innings for Quintana. CC would have given up four runs by now.

12. Greg says:

Why did we give up this guy again?

13. Greg says:

Why did we give up this guy again?

• Brian S. says:

Left handed pitchers that post good numbers never pan out. Nomaas is going to ask Mike Newman when they interview him later this year.

• Mike Axisa says:

We already know the answer. They didn’t want to put him on the 40-man because they thought he was a fringy back-end arm, which he still might turn out to be. It’s been nine starts.

14. VT Yankee Fan says:

The Yanks were 21-21 on May 21st. They’ve gone 36-13 since then. Pretty good couple of months.

15. Brian S. says:

I was looking up Quintana’s stats on fangraphs and I noticed that all the White Sox pitchers have relatively low BABIPs against. They don’t strike me as a top notch defensive team though.

16. Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Surgery for Gardner

17. Yankees & Canes says:

Today, I met Diego Moreno (RP from the AJ Burnett trade) in an elevator, and saw Pineda, both were rehabbing here in Tampa. Pineda looked like he was in great shape, so hopefully he’s right on track.

18. Kevin says:

Yea..now Boston leads…Boston has been on a mini tear of their own since the all star break and have won 5 out of their last 7 games.

19. Kevin says:

Pitcher’s best friend keeps the White Sox in a lead

20. Robinson Tilapia says:

In other words, no one of are watching Project Runway. I get it.

21. CS Yankee says:

Mr. October in the house in Oakland.

I would think that they would have kept him away until next spring (at least). I don’t understand what value he brings to the team with the best record in baseball?

22. FIn says:

It seems to me the Sox are the same team right now that they became down the stretch last year. Their pitching is bad and while they score runs in bunches, they also go a ton of games without scoring runs.

23. Hall and Nokes says:

I got a rules question, it’s something that probably only happen in a bush league place like Fenway. If someone hits the ball down towards Pesky Pole, and it hits the ground, then goes off the right fielder into the stands, does it have to be a ground rule double?

• Jacob says:

What if a fielder misplays a ball and it looks like it would be an inside the parker but the fielder recovers and throws it into the stands? is it a ground rule double?

• Hall and Nokes says:

That’s sort of what prompted the question. In a place like Fenway you could almost make it look like an accident.

24. Hall and Nokes says:

Cody Ross is certainly learning how to hit pop ups in Fenway.

25. Kevin says:

Red Sox have won five out of seven since the all star break…yuck.