Jul

Thursday Night Open Thread

Ivan Nova spent yesterday talking to some kids at Riverbank State Park. (Stuart Ramson)

Just one more baseball-less night until the Yankees kick off the second half of their season against the Angels. Have you enjoyed the break? I sure have, it’s good to take a few days to clear your mind and recharge the baseball batteries. The second half is always a grind, they don’t call it the dog days of summer for nothing.

In case you missed it, we took some time to review the first half of the season over the last few days…

If you read the posts already, well go read them again. After that, use this as your open thread for the evening. There are no major sports on tonight, so relax and talk about whatever you like here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Alkaline says:

I’ll leave this here:

What happens if a baseball was thrown near the speed of light.

2. Mads says:

Will the Yankees sign Ty Hensley in time?

• jjyank says:

I sure hope so, but whatever anyone says is just pure speculation. I know we’d get a comp pick if he doesn’t sign, but I’d rather have the player now.

• RetroRob says:

I asked this the other night, but can’t remember where, so not sure if it was answered.

If the Yankees lose Hensley, does that mean the $1.6 million they lost get pushed forward to next year’s draft? If not, they’ll be heavily penalized by getting two high-end picks without the cash flexbility to sign them.

• jjyank says:

I would assume that they would have the added slot value for their normal first round pick, in addition to the slot value for the comp pick. I didn’t read the CBA to make sure, but if they had 1 first round slot to sign two players, that isn’t exactly “compensation” and would in fact be bullshit. So I would assume that they get two slot value picks for the pool if they have two picks.

• yooboo says:

I think I answered to that.

To set the draft pool for each team, MLB adds all picks owned by a specific team for first 10 rounds. If you happen to have 2 first round picks then slot recommendation of those picks will be included to the total. No carryover from a year to next year as Scott Boras failed to convince MLB.

To set up a slot recommendation, it is all depending on baseball market or business revenue of previous season I think.

3. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I wonder if Yankee uniforms are made in China too.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Nova looks pretty badass there, almost Rock-like.

5. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Have I mentioned this would have been a good night for YES to pick up a Yankee minor league game?

6. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

So, which Dream Team would you take?

• TCMiller30 says:

Today’s.. Without a doubt.. People today are just bigger stronger faster..

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Hell no.

• BK2ATL says:

No disrespect, but you must be too young to remember and truly appreciate the greatest that was THE DREAM TEAM.

Scottie Pippen and MJ would shut Kobe and Lebron down. Barkley, Ewing, Malone and Robinson would destroy the 2012 version down low. Melo and Durant

This version might get beat by 20+ points.

I haven’t even mentioned Magic and Bird yet either. Nor Stockton, Drexler or Mullin.

A team comprised of 11 Hall of Famers vs. a team that might have 4 at best.

• pat says:

If you play with today’s refs the original Dream team fouls out by halftime. Today’s players are all soft. Gimme the originals by a longshot. Only Kobe on this current team has the killer instinct. Real Dream team had 10 guys with that attitude.

• RI$P FTW says:

…and Hulk Hogan was the greatest wrestler ever, too, right?

#ignorant

• vicki says:

i’m gonna take original dream team, but i think it’d be close. the 92 team ARE twenty years older after all. (ty cobb salute)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Original. Only a few true well-rounded players on the new team. A lot of scorers and guys still developing their game. It’s a very different league.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

This “dream team” isn’t even a lock for the gold medal so they really shouldn’t talk about being better than probably the greatest team in the history of team sports until after they come home with the gold.

Besides LBJ, Kobe and maybe Durant, who else from the 2012 team even makes the orginal dream team roster?

• BK2ATL says:

It’s not even a dream team. Just the 2012 USA Basketball team.

I agree, the hype is insane. They’re not a lock for the gold medal.

You’re correct on those 3. Durant could replace Mullin. Lebron for Drexler. Kobe for Laettner. That’s about it.

There’d be no Dream Team without Magic, Bird and MJ. Pippen, Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Robinson, and Stockton are better than the rest of what this team rolls out.

It wouldn’t be close.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Definitely.

On the 2012 team, Drexler would have easily been the 4th best player and I think his all around game at his peak was probably better than Durant’s.

• vicki says:

i’d like to see kobe on laettner.

then i’d like to watch them play basketball.

7. DERP says:

Jose Ramirez having a very good game.

• Brian S. says:

Has he become our most underrated prospect?

• Ted Nelson says:

Just one of the most injury plagued.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I remember a few years back it was mentioned that one of the reasons the Yankees were willing to trade Arodys Vizcaino to the Braves for Javy Vasquez was because they liked Ramirez so much and thought he had a similar ceiling.

Hopefully, he’s back on track now.

8. jjyank says:

Okay, I know there’s been a lot fo talk about Justin Upton here, but I found this curious. I personally like him very much as a player, and am not advocating for a trade with this comment, but I wanted to get my fellow RABers thoughts on this from MLBTR via Ken Rosenthal.

“Rival executives say Diamondbacks officials are willing to consider offers for Upton because they are not convinced that he is a winning player.”

What does that mean? Is that an attitude thing, a pressure/clutch thing, a down-year thing, or a non-story media thing? For a guy that’s 24, and with the hype he’s had, and the seemingly breakout year he had last year, I’m not sure what to make of that comment. I’m not making a judgement one way or another, but thoughts?

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

My guess is “winning” is a poor choice of words. They probably are saying he isn’t a good team player, or maybe a selfish player, or maybe just an overall douchebag.

• SDM says:

It means the D-backs are gonna act like D-bags in order destroy Upton’s reputation so they can justify trading him away to the fans. It’s the RedSox method

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

At least the rSox are smart enough to wait until after they’ve traded the player, but here it is “rival execs” who are making the statements.

• j6takish says:

D-Backs are a very young team and they are kind of counting on Upton to be a leader of sorts. I think people tend to WAY over value team chemistry and all that garbage, especially since there are language and culture barriers all over baseball. But when you have no team leader and your best player is by all accounts, kind of a lazy douche it probably doesn’t do well to helping the team

• Cuso says:

It’s a BS report is my take. I think Towers is being wise in saying they’ll listen to offers, but unless the Orioles or Rangers give a call with an offer that can’t be refused, J-Up is going nowhere.

Any “character” issues without names attached to them are just not-so-subtle motivational tactics. Kirk Gibson’s wheelhouse is to prod young kids by any means necessary.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It means the new DBacks GM, Charlie Sheen, does not approve.

• Ted Nelson says:

I would guess non-story, but maybe work ethic concerns. Seems to alternate good and off years, so I could see him coasting when he has success. That’s total speculation, though, based on nothing but circumstantial evidence.

• BK2ATL says:

The thing is, they’ve been putting J. Upton out there for a while now. This isn’t new. A while back (years), he was mentioned with Boston in a package for Ellsbury and Bard amongst others.

Pretty recently, either the Arizona owner or a VP basically called him out, after calling out Stephen Drew for being injured. I’m not sure what’s going on out there, or maybe they see their NL West window closing with the Dodgers loading up and SF finding offense.

Could be attitude, could be that he hasn’t made the necessary adjustments at the plate. Either way, it can’t be pleasant playing out there, if mgmt. is calling out players in the media. If he’s on the block, it might be best for him. He’s only 24. The upside is off the charts, even if inconsistent so far. I somehow don’t see teams giving up the farm for him.

I don’t see Baltimore giving up Machado or Bundy for him. Texas doesn’t need him plus they want Hamels if he hits the market. Detroit doesn’t need to trade for him, as V-Mart will be back. Maybe Atlanta would, but only after they don’t get Greinke. Pittsburgh has the pieces and need, but I don’t think they’re going to give up what Towers wants.

9. DERP says:

The Tampa Yankees threw a combined no hitter tonight. Jose Ramirez pitched the first six and Pinder pitched the seventh.

10. Cuso says:

Gut feeling that Hensley isn’t going to sign. A few of the tweets in the last couple weeks really sound like he feels guilty and appreciates the excitement but really doesn’t want to miss our on the college experience. Gut feeling, gut interpretation – yes.

Had to reiterate that before I get the “you don’t know what he’s blah-blahed!!!…”

11. BK2ATL says:

Blake Griffin has a meniscus tear in his left knee. Just signed a $95 million contract yesterday. If I’m the Clippers, I’m highly pissed.

12. BK2ATL says:

Phillies looking to lock Hamels down with a substantial extension offer. He really wants to stay. It just might happen.

The 2012-2013 hot stove might be very uneventful on the FA market.

13. Tom says:

MLB (curiously) approves the Jairo Beras signing for 4.5mil by the Rangers.

This is the prospect that told everyone he was born in ’95 and produced a birth certificate proving it. This would have made him ineligible for a pre-Jul 2 signing and would have put him under the new CBA rules with the 2.9mil limit/tax threshold.

So a few days before anyone wanting to sign prior to Jul 2nd had to provide MLB documentation of age and eligbility, a 2nd birth certificate is produced which magically shows he’s a year older and now eligible. He also has a paternity test to apparently prove that the first birth certificate couldn’t have been legit. He and his people claim it was just an honest mistake and up until recently had no idea and just suddenly found out he was older? (I guess out of the blue someone must have said: You know what you look a year older, we should do a paternity test to find out the first birth certificate is wrong (apparently his biological father was out of the country when he would have been conceived)

So basically it seems to me like he was lying about being a year younger (to increase his value as a prospect) until he/his team realized it would cost them some serious dough. And then out pops a 2nd birth certificate with the first one being an “honest mistake”

In the past MLB has suspended prospects for a year (which they did) and void the contracts (which for some inexplicable they didn’t) for prospects who lie about age or name information. Not sure how a guy with 2 birth certificates can have a contract stand up.