Jul

Tuesday Trade Deadline Open Thread

(Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

The trade deadline is 4pm ET today, and the Yankees will definitely be in the market for a fill-in third baseman with Alex Rodriguez on the DL with a broken bone in his hand. Mark Teixeira‘s wrist problem could spring them into further action as well, and pitching help — both rotation and bullpen — is always on the agenda. The Bombers are almost certainly done with the outfield market following the Ichiro Suzuki pickup, however. We’re going to keep track of any Yankees-related trade deadline rumors right here throughout the day, so check back often for updates. The latest will be on the bottom. Here are Sunday’s and Monday’s rumors if you missed them…

• 10:00am: Teixeira’s injury should have no impact the team’s deadline plans, and the Yankees are still trying to acquire a defense-first type player for third base. Things are pretty quiet right now. [Ken Rosenthal]
  • The Yankees are focused on acquiring 40-man roster depth pieces, guys they can stash in Triple-A to cover for any injuries that pop-up down the stretch. [Joel Sherman]
  • Reports indicate that the Yankees have stepped up their pursuit of Ryan Dempster in the last 48 hours — lines up with when we learned about Andy Pettitte‘s setback, no? — but that has since been shot down. Dempster has 10-and-5 no-trade protection and seems hellbent on joining the Dodgers. [David Kaplan, Jon Heyman & Jayson Stark]
  • 12:34pm: There is still a “distinct possibility” the Yankees will acquire Ty Wigginton before the deadline. The Phillies are selling off all their movable pieces, with Shane Victorino headed to the Dodgers and Hunter Pence headed to the Giants. [Matt Gelb]
  • 12:56pm: The Yankees don’t believe Wigginton can handle third and are valuing defense at the position. A deal is said to be “highly unlikely.” Guys like him will get through waivers in August. [Sherman]
  • 2:03pm: The Yankees are “engaged in heavy discussions” with the Cubs about Dempster. I think this might be a case of the Cubbies trying to drive up the price for the Dodgers, but who knows. It’s worth mentioning that pitching coach Larry Rothschild knows the right-hander from his time in Chicago. [Bob Nightengale, Sherman & Rosenthal]
  • 2:14pm: The Dempster stuff is basically due diligence, the Yankees did their homework and expressed some level of interest yesterday. [Marc Carig]
  • 2:25pm: Dempster has told the Cubs that he will waive his 10-and-5 rights to join the Yankees because of his relationship with Rothschild and special advisor/former Cubs GM Jim Hendry. Chicago would have to kick in some money to facilitate a deal. [Heyman, Sherman & Sherman]
  • 2:29pm: The Cubs are said to like Angelo Gumbs and Dante Bichette Jr., but the Yankees are unlikely to part with them for a fifth starter upgrade. [Sherman & Sherman]
  • 3:12pm: Ownership has not been presented with any kind of financial information for a potential Dempster deal yet, so it doesn’t sound like anything is close as of right now. The commissioner’s office has to approve any trade involving more than $1M exchanging hands. [Sherman & Sherman]
  • 3:31pm: With less than a half-hour to go, the Dempster talks are still “nothing serious.” Either they’re going to scramble to beat the clock or the deal isn’t happening. [Carig]
  • 3:53pm: The Yankees “may” have acquired Dempster. No confirmation yet, however. [Jim Bowden]
  • 3:58pm: Scratch that, Dempster has been traded to the Rangers. [Buster Olney]

Reminder: Your trade proposal sucks.

1. JohnC says:

Jon Heyman tweeted that there is no evidence of Yanks being connected to Dempster. Yanks could be trying to drive up the price for Rangers, who want Dempster

• The Real Greg says:

Or the Cubs could be doing it themselves, possibly taking a page out of the Mariners playbook.

• Billy says:

Don’t want Dumpster. He’s been a back of the rotation starter his whole career and that translates to a number 5 starter in New York. Would rather role Phelps out there than give up T.Austin or whoever Theo would want.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t particularly want him, but it’s just not true that he’s been a back of the rotation starter his whole career. He’s been mid-to-front end since 2008.

• I Live In My Mom's Basement says:

But this would give them a rotation of Dumpster, Kurroded, Fill Huge, No Va, and CCCXX.

2. nacho says:

Christmas in July.

3. jsbrendog says:

so if teix is out then swish to 1b, ichiro to rf and continuation of ibanones/jonez in lf. i can handle that for a short time while teix heals. it really doesnt make the team that much worse.

• jjyank says:

I would prefer this if the alternative is overpaying for someone in a trade, I think. I’m not going to freak out if the Yanks don’t get anyone (like many others surely will). This scenario is fine with me if replacements prove too cost prohibitive.

• The thing that worries me is the one who isn’t in the field is going to be DHing most likely, and neither can hit same side pitching worth a lick. We already have 2 black holes against LHP in who ever’s catching and Ichiro, then a third with Ibanez *gulp*(4 if you count Nix as a black hole [I do.])

• jjyank says:

Like I mentioned below, I would like to see a trade. I just would rather stand pat if the alternative is an overpay. If they can get a fair deal for an actual upgrade, go for it.

• Meh, I’m really not a huge prospect hugger. If you can make a trade for a proven impact player (Upton, Headley, Choo, Dempster) for unproven minor leaguers…I think you have to make that deal every time.

• jjyank says:

I’m less bullish on Dempster, but I would definitely be willing to pay big for those guys. It’s the next tier down that I don’t view as a big enough upgrade to warrant the cost.

• Bo Knows says:

Dempster is not some elite player, I honestly doubt he’d be an upgrade over anyone they currently have (Phelps…cough…cough) It’s just making a move to make a move if they go for him.

He’s not worth the cost; which would probably be more than a few of the top prospects.

• Ted Nelson says:

There’s a huge difference between hugging prospects and just saying you’d trade any group of unproven players for any player who has proven anything in MLB. Your stance is extreme and reads like it’s extremely out of touch with reality.

• DM says:

If you DL Tex, you could add Ronnier M to the LF/DH mix.

• DM says:

And you could drop Pena and promote Nunez for more offense (unless he’s traded some time today, of course).

• I’d hate to be trusting a guy with 0 major league experience as the upgrade that is needed. If that’s the only move that’s made this is going to be one of the rare times that I will say Cashman had a bad deadline.

• jjyank says:

Whether or not he has a “bad deadline” is dependant on what the price tags were though, and we don’t know what they are.

• DM says:

Well, you could take a look if Tex seems short-term; Girardi seems fond of him, and all he does is hit and hit and hit. But it’s hard to slam Cashman if he can’t cover for the loss of Tex a few hours before the deadline.

• It wouldn’t be just the loss of Tex a few hours before the deadline…It would be the loss of Alex almost a week before, our catcher’s inability to be even league average offensively, Our bullpen being full of nothing but match up guys, our DH tandum spending most of the season in the field, plus Tex maybe being hurt and doing nothing to help the team recover from that personnel wise.

• DM says:

Maybe — but I’m sure Cashman has checked in on every player. If prices are sky high, and you have a significant lead, can you blame him? I think he does everything possible within cost parameters (prospects and $) to improve the team. I highly doubt he’s sitting back out of stubbornness or incompetence.

• I doubt it’s out of incompetence, I could see stubbornness though. He’s spent his entire career hearing “oh, anybody could be Yankee GM, all you have to do is write checks,” and he now has spent the last few years building a great farm system to prove to people he can be just as much a player development guy as anybody else. I could see him thinking to himself, “We have a huge lead, so I won’t look bad if I don’t make a huge splash, I mean we might not win the WS this year w/ this roster, but at least I get to keep all my prospects and push them to the MLs so everybody could see how awesome I am.”

• jjyank says:

Or maybe he wants to keep the prospects because he thinks they’re the key to contending under the $189 mil budget.

• I’m sure that’s also a reason, but in the back of his head it could be an ego thing. I’m not saying it’s the wrong move long term, but it could cripple our chance to win #28 this year.

• jjyank says:

Fair enough. It can’t be easy balancing a “win now” mentality with trying to be win in the future, all the while trimming payroll. Hard to say what the right moves are.

• Ted Nelson says:

The upgrade is not needed, though. Tex is not seriously injured. You’re trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. Making a long-term acquisition to fill and short-term hole doesn’t make a lot of sense.

• There are long term holes/needs to varying degrees at Catcher, OF, and at least 1 infield spot.

• Ted Nelson says:

The OF and IF needs are not ones they need to address short-term. They aren’t needs right now. Maybe something works out, but it’s not a need right now.

C is maybe the hardest position to acquire talent at, not to mention to value talent at. There is room for an upgrade and long-term solution, but they can’t just make good Cs appear.
                  And the Yankees have quite a bit of long-term depth there between Romine, Murphy, Sanchez, and Cervelli.

• MannyGeee says:

should they just call up Cust to “play” RF and hit balls very very far while they wait for Tex to heal? Can Cust cover 1B, at least at a Posada/Sheffield/Giambi-esque level?

4. Derek says:

If anything, Cashman just did some due diligence on Dempster. Cubs official may have made a leak to CSN that the Yankees were in to drive up price.

Ultimately, I don’t see the Yankees doing much, if anything. Right handed corner infielder seems most likely.

• MannyGeee says:

“Yankees are involved” is the new black… drives up the cost like Scotch Guarding & Undercoating your new Hyundai!

5. Billy says:

I admit that I have a mantasy on Mark Reynolds. Guy can play 1B/3B and would be very cheap to acquire.

6. I’m not in full panic mode, but if Tex’s injury keeps him out for even a week, or like 15-day DL stint, that leaves our current line up with at least 5 of the following 7 guys: Nix, Chavez, Jones, Ibanez, Ichiro, Stewart, and Martin, starting everyday regardless of the handedness of the pitcher…I’m not ok with that.

• jjyank says:

I’d like to see a trade for an upgrade too, but I think I would rather roll with that than overpay for someone short of a major, major upgrade.

Of course, if Cashman can get some other GM drunk and rob him blind (I’m looking at you, Kenny Williams), that’s even better.

• Ted Nelson says:

Trading valuable assets for a week doesn’t make much sense.

7. AnthonyD says:

I feel gross suggesting this – but if Cubs eat the whole contract, is Soriano a completely outrageous option (assuming Teix misses extended time and Swish can move to first)?

• Darren says:

DON’T FEEL GROSS. I would do this in a second and wouldnt make the Cubs eat the whole thing. We need a live bat I don’t car about Soriano’s inability to look for a walk. It’s overrated. You need to hit the ball in the playoffs, not just work out a walk. Other than Boggs’ PH walk, walks mean much less in the post season than in the regular season. Playoffs you have limited chances and need to get hits.

• Rick in Philly says:

What? That makes zero sense. I’d actually say walks INCREASE in importance. Walks increase a pitcher’s pitch count, can extend innings, and, most importantly, don’t result in an out.

• MannyGeee says:

all this said, if they are desperate to move Soriano and we know Teix is going to be out fo an extended period of time, I would make a move.

If Teix is just going to be out for a few weeks however, that makes for a huge logjam of “I wish I had these guys in 2007″ type guys: Ichiro, Swisher, Granderson, Soriano & Ibanez…

• OldYanksFan says:

Can you believe Soriano is 36 years old now?
            I would look at him. He has averaged a 114 OPS+ over the last 3 years, so he is an above average bat, but far from elite. He is due (the balance of) $18m for this year, and $18m again in 2013 and 2014. Even if the Cubs pay 2/3rds of his salary, I’m not sure how that impacts the $189m payroll in 2014.

• MattG says:

Hmmm, it seems you think hits are the opposite of walks. Interesting…

Its actually outs that are the opposite of walks. If walks are overrated, not making outs is so underrated, it’d need to be overrated to appear on the scale.

• Klemy says:

haha The scary thing is I actually had woke up this morning after having a dream this happened and had to quickly check the news to see if I was awake.

8. Guest says:

dom brown scratched from AAA line up..BETANCES FOR BROWN…..ok maybe not :(

9. The Real Greg says:

Its difficult to say whether this recent slide of the Yankees is just the usual ebbs and flows of a season or if it is a harbinger of doom, especially when the emotion of a loss is gone, like with myself.

I don’t know what Cashman will do.

• Slugger27 says:

whatever he does, it will have little to do with the last 10 games.

This.

• The Real Greg says:

Well what do you think of this recent slide?

• Slugger27 says:

that its a recent slide… 162 game season, theres going to be slides.

the team doesnt have a lot of holes. utility infielder and catcher are the only 2 that come to mind. theyre already getting joba back. still have a huge division lead too.

• jjyank says:

It’s a slide. The team wasn’t going to play ~.700 ball all season like they were when they were hot. Trading for an upgrade in a fair deal is one thing, but GMs shouldn’t be making knee-jerk reactions based on a week and a half of underperformance.

• JohnnyC says:

Exposes their weakness against left-handers and lack of depth in the bullpen (too many OOGYs). Likely a bad stretch but there are some alarming signs. Cash can’t just lie back and enjoy the rest of the season.

• Ted Nelson says:

Are they weak against LHP? Most of their big platoon guys do better against LHP. Jones, Martin, Jeter, Tex, Nix…

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

It’s something all teams, even great ones, experience.

Are you aware that the 1998 team lost 6 of 9 during a stretch in August?

I shudder to think of the reaction had RAB been around back then.

• Unless tex also broke his wrist/hand and he pulls off a move for a starting 1st baseman…or a move for a starting 3rd baseman. Technically, those moves would only have happened because of what happened over the last ten games.

• Ted Nelson says:

The recent struggles are exclusively one run games… Which is a good sign that the Yankees are just fine. Run differential may be a bigger predictor of future success than record if I remember correctly.

10. Erica says:

PHEWWWW

Marc Carig ?@MarcCarig
    Teixeira has no structural damage in wrist

11. The Real Greg says:

GOOD NEWS!

Marc Carig tweeting that Tex has no structural damage in his wrist!

12. Eddard says:

Dumpster would be a waste. He’s not a top flight starter. If we’re going to get a starter it has to be top flight or it’s not worth it. We have other needs as well-

Catcher that can hit
    3rd baseman to fill in for Alex
    1st baseman if Teix is down for a while
    Reliever to help the pen in one run games
    RH bat to replace Andruw Jones

• CountryClub says:

I’d be shocked if they get a catcher.

Chavez might be best backup 3rd baseman in baseball. He’s brittle, but he’ll get plenty of days off vs lefties. Cross your fingers.

Sounds like Teix is fine.

Joba will be back this weekend.

Another RH bat would be good. But Jones isn’t going anywhere (even if they do get one).

• MattG says:

While we’re replacing Jones, can we get another left handed bat to replace Cano?

What’s that, my expectations are too high?

• Smell What Johnny's Kuck'ing says:

Beckett (for free) and have him fill in the garbage man roll

13. Erica says:

Victorino to the Dodgers. My Phillies fan friend is inconsolable, as that is her favorite player. Though, really, anyone who’s a Phillies fan needs to get that straightened out first.

14. I hear the Marlins were looking to unload Lee, I thought it might be a good idea…but damn. His power is just straight up gone. He has like a Jayson Nix level SLG% this year.

15. CountryClub says:

As we all know, the Yanks seem to have something going on when you hear almost no rumors about them. I won’t be shocked if they make some moves today. But I dont think it’ll be anything big because they clearly have no interest in taking on money past 2013.

16. I’m going to paraphrase what I said in the Tex thread here, because I feel like it’ll get more views here, and I want to get people opinion as to if I’m being too much of a Negative Nancy. I’m glad Tex just has inflammation in his wrist, but let’s remember Gardner’s and Pineda’s injuries both started as “inflammation” in the forearm and shoulder, respectively. Now we won’t see BG all year, and there’s a chance we never see Pineda on a big league mound.

• Ted Nelson says:

You can’t just assume the worst on every single injury by going out and getting a long-term replacement every time someone hits the 15 day DL, though. It’s just not sustainable in any way. You wouldn’t have the roster spots to keep them all, never mind the financial implications.

17. The Real Greg says:

This is to be taken very lightly and is probably not true.

There is a rumbling on Twitter that the Yankees have picked up Vinnie Pestano from the Indians.

18. Mikeymikeee says:

Is Cargo available from the Rockies? I would empty the farm for that guy. He can be swishers replacement also.

19. Brian S. says:

Did the Blue Jays really trade Travis Snider for Brad fucking Lincoln?

20. Jacob says:

Torrealba>Stewart, that is all.

21. Athenian says:

Dempster will have a better chance of staying in Chicago now that the Dodgers have acquired Victorino. This past weekend series against the Giants softened the need for Dempster.

The Yankees getting Dempster, while useful, would be a waste of money and prospects. This team can’t hit, again, and is playing catch up way to often because of a line up build around to many streaky hitters. They need a spark in the form of a bat. Not an NL Central pitcher who will become Jeff Weaver in the AL East.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

This team can’t hit,

They how did they build a 7 game lead? Walks? Or errors by the opposing team?

facepalm

• MannyGeee says:

mostly by pitching and fielding so well that it cost opposing offenses NEGATIVE runs in the field… kinda like football

• Athenian says:

+100 As MannyGeee said, it was pitching. During that stretch their starters were going deep, had just around a 2 ERA, and were limiting hits to singles or at least preventing additional runs.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Not dismissing their pitching and D, but they’ve scored the 4th most runs in the league.

I haven’t looked it up, but I’m guessing those runs are the direct result of hits.

• MannyGeee says:

I was being sarcastic, the team was hitting the cover off the ball in May/June… but yeah, their pitching weas sick during that stretch.

• MattG says:

“…and is playing catch up way to [sic] often…”

• Athenian says:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, just like runs scored, those numbers mean nothing in the larger picture. Numbers like that are inflated from large run scoring games – for example, Yankees score 5 runs in the first and not another run during the game. Next game they score 0 runs in the first inning and only a total of 3 for the game. Their first inning run total sits at 2.5. But do they consistently score 2.5 runs in the first inning, NO.

My point was that they fell behind in Oakland, Seattle, and against Boston and then had to rally late only to come up short which is why they lost another 1 run game last night. You can’t use that link as valid proof to discount my comment when the team is being 1 hit or 2 hit and not scoring runs until the 5th inning or later, not against the average pitching they have been facing.

• MattG says:

It means no less than your ultimate declaration, supported by absolutely nothing.

By the way, the Yankees scored pretty consistently in the first inning against the Red Sox, wouldn’t you say? Maybe you missed those games.

22. MannyGeee says:

“They (Tigers) asked about Scott Hairston, but the Mets wanted one of the Tigers’ top five prospects in return.”

ha… who knew Hairston would demand more in a trade than Hanley Ramirez

23. Athenian says:

Haven’t read through all this thread but what are the thoughts on Torrealba?

24. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

In other news…

The Dodgers have acquired every available MLB player in a trade. It seems they are planning on having a platoon at every position, an 8 man rotation, and a 10 man bullpen.

• The Real Greg says:

Shane Victorino
      Brandon League
      Hanley Ramirez
      and maybe Ryan Dempster.

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

the dodgers are smart.. They realize there close this yr, and no one cares about next yr. Smart work by the dodgers.. Most of the propsects they gave up will probably end up being just ordinary players or worse…

U people worry to much about prospects.. These guys rarley work out.. Dellin Betances can’t even pitch consistently in the minors for godsake..

25. MattG says:

The only player I’ve heard whispered (not to the Yankees, just whispered at all) that has appeal for me is Choo. That guy would look so good in a Yankee uniform.

Although I am in no hurry to show Swisher the door, and with Ichiro, any chance for Choo probably sailed.

Headley surely has appeal, but it’s a bad fit. Relief pitchers? I’m pretty sure that’s what 17th rounds in the draft are for. Catchers…I would’ve liked Kottaras…not exactly sexy…

This is boring.

26. Robert says:

Ken Rosenthal just tweeted this “They (#Dodgers) were really hunkered down last night. I was told they were told, ‘Damn the money. Make the club better.’” Too bad the Yankees ownership doesn’t have this view.

• Brian S. says:

The Yankees started out with almost 100 million dollars more payroll than the Dodgers did.

• jjyank says:

The Yankees already have the highest payroll in baseball…pretty sure they do have that general view.

• MannyGeee says:

nevermind having the highest payroll in the league for the past decade… this “Yankees spend no moneyz!!1!1″ narrative will do nicely for today, thanks!

• MattG says:

I was thinking, never mind that spending money is not at all strongly correlated to making the team better. Who, that is available, makes the Yankees better?

Cliff Lee, I suppose…

27. DERP says:

Pence to SF

28. Pence is a Giant, in case anybody is interested…I guess they had to make at least one move while the Dodgers are some how trading for any and every available player.

29. jjyank says:

Aaaand Pence is a Giant now.

30. Brian S. says:

I have a question. If the Yankees were to offer A-Rod a one year, league minimum extension to reduce his AAV but then came out and said “we wanted to give A-Rod more time to chase the record!” would the league buy it? Or would even one year be seen as blatant luxury tax circumvention?

• MannyGeee says:

if we’re not buying it, lord knows the League is gonna see through that line of bullshit!

• MannyGeee says:

that said, I wonder if they can “extend” (re-structure) the contract to add something like 2 club options on the end for like $1M each, and when Selig signs off on it…. BOOM! pick them up, or some other shadyness like that

• Is there really anything the league could do though? I mean the Players Association probably would chastise Alex for doing it, but could they even block it?

• Brian S. says:

I’m not sure the players would care. It would be the owners that get less Yankee money.

• MattG says:

Bud Selig can do whatever he wants, yes. He would void the contract. The Yankees, or probably more likely Alex, would have to take him to court.

• jjyank says:

I don’t know for sure, but I would think Selig and Co. would find a way to block such blatant circumvention of the luxury tax.

• Fernando says:

The team could restructure the contract by turning his bonuses into guaranteed money and extending the years. They could easily argue with A-Rod’s injuries lately that this isn’t a cirumvention of the tax. I believe Mike mentioned something like this earlier as a way of lowering his AAV and removing the uncertainty of when the bonuses might vest.

• MannyGeee says:

The league can block it for trying to circumvent the Luxury cap… I thought.

31. The Real Greg says:

Beginning to hear that Wigginton is a distinct possibility.

32. Ty Wigginton? *vomit’s in mouth a little* No thank you.

33. Austinmac says:

Wigginton sounds like a new Yankee type deal if the Phil’s kick in money.

34. DZ says:

how are the yankees not in on shoppach

• The Real Greg says:

You actually think the Red Sox would let them in?

• Get Phelps Up says:

Because he’s with the Red Sox.

• JohnnyC says:

Red Sox don’t trade with Yankees.

• DZ says:

It’s not like a major deal, it’s a backup catcher… and lets be honest, the rivalry has kind of stalled lately.

• Slugger27 says:

the rivalry has kind of stalled lately.

what planet are you on? its not earth.

• Erica says:

How has the rivalry stalled? We watch the same games, I think.

• Meh, I don’t care about Boston, just because they’re a last place team. They are just about a zero threat to us in the Division, the Trade Market, in anyway. Do I still hate all of their faces? Yeah. But there’s no real venom behind that hate.

• Slugger27 says:

1) theyre not in last place

2) the difference between where they are and 2nd place in the east is 2 games.

the term “last place” is all relative. theyre 2 games behind the orioles (who are in 2nd) and they have a superior roster to baltimore. i consider the red sox the yankees biggest threat to win the division. even if i didnt, the rivalry hasn’t stalled. the red sox helping the yankees out at the deadline would be impossible to sell to sox fans strictly because of said rivalry.

• Widget says:

Hate without venom is like coke with no rum. What’s the point?

• Erica says:

They’re still a pain in our collective ass and I think it’s valid to say that the rivalry is still alive.

Don’t you think the Eagles (ew) and the Giants would still be rivals, even if the Eagles had about half the prominent players they do now? And weren’t doing well?

I’d like to think that our rivalry with the Red Sox is as much a part of the Yankees tradition as anything else, even if it’s not our main “worry,” so to speak.

• MattG says:

Youkilis, Varitek, and Epstein all gone, team in last place. Hatred, receding.

Lucchino, Ortiz are still there. Hatred, rising.

35. 28 in 2012 says:

Soto to the Rangers for nothing. I hoped ninja would have made that kind of a deal for him. Definitely a buy low candidate. Texas did well here. Change of scenery may get him over the Martin line.

36. tyrone sharpton says:

hunter pence to SF. damn the package phillie is getting back is a lot weaker than the one they gave houston. yay amaro

37. The Real Greg says:

I just feel that they aren’t going to do anything. Hope I’m wrong.

• Derek says:

What’s there to do that’s going to make them that much better? All indications say that any move would be minor. Unless we get blindsided by some blockbuster, even a trade for a right handed third baseman with some pop won’t change the season outcome drastically.

38. Hoss says:

Need bullpen. Logan is following Wade on Girardi’s Toast Parade. Eppley and Rapada may not be far behind. Qualls has been pitching on fumes since he arrived. Joba may, or may not, be the solution. It would be nice to pick up someone who has not been abused through the first half of the season.

39. Rocky Road Redemption says:

PREDICTION: Nothing happens. Yankees are getting Joba back extremely soon and Andy and A-Rod back in September. So Cashman trusts they could hold the fort until then.

40. The Real Greg says:

As I predicted a day or two ago, nothing much is happening all over.

Only the Phillies and Cubs are selling off.

41. Mark L. says:

You would have thought that the success with Hinske and Hairston would have demonstrated to Cashman the value of midseason reinforcements.

42. Mark L. says:

Oh, and Cashman may want to do something about the fact that our LHRP suck now.

43. CUYanks says:

Any thoughts on Carlos Lee? We are desperately lacking in right handed bats, but at this stage in his career he doesn’t offer that much power and little defensive value.

44. Troll Hunter says:

Cash is chillin right now.

45. Davey Vecchia says:

No Trade = No WS this year…

46. Tony says:

I think the Yanks should pursue alfonso soriano. They really need a right-handed batter

47. Tony says:

I kno he strikes out alot but he is batting 274 so he’s not hit or miss

48. The Real Greg says:

Buster Olney tweeting that the D-Backs are working on something big.

Mentions the Cubs could be involved and Garza and Upton.

This mat seem crazy, but somebody else on Twitter suggested a 3 team trade with the D-Backs getting Garza, the Yanks getting Upton, and the Cubs getting prospects from both teams

49. Erica says:

Doo doo doo… I hate waiting.

50. For whatever reason Arizona is looking for an ace pitcher…for them Garza is an ace. Time for my crazy(and probably terrible) trade proposal: Banuelos, Warren, Nunez, and one of Austin/Williams to the Cubs, Garza to Arizona, and Justin Upton to the Yankees.

51. Gonzo says:

Surprised by all the Brandon Laird love on this thread.

52. Robinson Tilapia says:

Still on a massive writing kick for work, but I’ll play along.

No one who I really thought was a fit has been moved yet. Still think the Yankees make some minor moves, although nothing would surprise me.

My own wish list remains the same: Upgrade over Nix at the corners, overgrade over Stewart behind the plate. I guess a reliever could be added given recent struggles, but that’s third on my list.

53. How much I’m concerned about the trade deadline: I’ve let Etrade log me out twice for lack of updating the page, I haven’t been on cracked.com at all today, nor tumblr. My store also got a shipment right as I got in this morning, I still haven’t bothered to check it or call ownership to let them know it arrived. I also raced off the phone with a wholesaler because I didn’t give a shit what he was talking about.

54. mike_h says:

Suprised Cashman hasnt made a move for Bill Hall, he’s on the Norfolk Tides AAA team. He could play 2B, 3B, LF, and CF in an emergency. Its exactly what we need

55. The Real Greg says:

Steve Gilbert being told the D-Backs are not working on a deal with the Cubs.

56. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Remember guys: Swishalicious is also a first baseman. So if we get an outfielder we also effectively get a replacement first baseman for Tex since in this scenario we can simply slip Swisher to first base.

An outfielder definitely still makes sense, even with the Ichiro signing.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t think anything is going with Tex, though, that would necessitate an extended shift for Swisher. I still think finding a UTL who can handle the corners and offers more than Nix would be the bigger need.

• Knoxvillain says:

Tex is fine and I wouldn’t call Swisher a first baseman. He can play first, but he’s an outfielder.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I think Tex is probably fine but we don’t know that.

Anyway, Swishy was a 1b before he came to the Yanks, so I don’t see any reason he can’t hold the fort there now.

57. Erica says:

We should sign Posada to be a backup infielder.

/trolling

58. The Real Greg says:

Verducci saying that the Cubs have disengaged with the Dodgers about Dempster and are now talking to the Yankees and “THE MYSTERY TEAM”

59. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

Aramis Ramirez and Ryan Dempster would make for a monster trade day, eY?lol

60. The Real Greg says:

I checked this earlier. Dempster was pretty good in interleague play.

Now Rosenthal saying that the Yankees HAVE contacted the Cubs about Ryan Dempster.

• The Real Greg says:

Anyway, Dempster went 2-1 in interleague.

He threw scoreless starts against the Twins and Red Sox, but gave 4 runs in 6 innings against the White Sox.

61. CountryClub says:

Ken Rosenthal ?@Ken_Rosenthal
    Sources tell me and @jonmorosi that #Yankees have indeed contacted #Cubs about acquiring Dempster. Teams not talking seriously – yet.

• CountryClub says:

Jon Heyman ?@JonHeymanCBS
      #yankees & #cubs have had 1 conversation about dempster. RD still wants LAD. if that doesnt work, he MIGHT consider

62. Brian S. says:

Does Cashman think Dempster is going to maintain his .242 BABIP all season long? Our defense sucks.

• Ted Nelson says:

Dempster has averaged over 3 fWAR for 5 seasons now…

• Brian S. says:

I know he’s good. But he’s not as good as his ERA has been this year. I just hope that if Cashman acquires him it’s not equal to what the Angels gave up for Grienke.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t want them to give up a top prospect for him, either (which probably means I don’t want them to deal for him). I have no doubt that Cashman is looking beyond ERA, though. And beyond BABIP.

• DM says:

The Yankees might be their last option to trade him if LA falls through — so they don’t have much leverage. And Dempster might approve a deal to NY b/c of his connection to Rothschild (and a chance to win, of course).

63. The Real Greg says:

Basically what it is is that we are the backup if the Dodgers don’t bite.

64. Nathan says:

I think since last year Cash hasn’t really signed anyone to any significant contracts…they’ve been the bargain bin type additions like Ibanez, Martin, and Jones types.

With that said, I think Cash does nothing in the next hour and x minutes. The Yankees have effectively been handcuffed by the luxury tax.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Kuroda?

• Athenian says:

that’s what $20 mil contracts for declining years gets them. The real question is have they learned a lesson? When Cano get a 10 yr deal, the answer will clearly be no. Then they will have another $20 mil player that limits their mobility for years to come.

• Ted Nelson says:

It gets them a commanding lead in 1st place and a team with no significant holes? Interesting.

• Athenian says:

They have and had a commanding lead. Starting pitching has not been the issue, it is the streakiness of the home run first line up + injuries + reverting to hitting like they did in May.

Dempster is not worth even Bichette Jr.

I’m very confused.

What does any of this have to do with $20 million + contracts?

All line-ups are “streaky.” The Yankees are still scoring the 5th most runs in MLB, and are in easy striking distance of 1st with tons of time left.

The Yankees have the 3rd highest OBP in baseball. Their BA even is all of .008 out of 3rd place in MLB.

• Hoss says:

Cano, a 10-year deal? Hahaha!!! I cannot wait to see how slowly he runs out grounders in 2022. Only then it will be because he doesn’t have the legs.

• Athenian says:

I am on board with you. Just vomiting what Boras stated – that a 10 yr deal gets you the best 7.

• Hoss says:

Boras is a putz. Cano can walk. Everyone is replaceable. The latest untouchables to be traded in the past week: Hanley Ramirez and Hunter Pence. When Cano busts his ass like Jeter and uses his great talent then we can consider a long-term (i.e. add’l 5-6 year contract). Otherwise, I wouldn’t go beyond 4 in addition to the Yankees’ option year next year, which essentially gives him 5.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The Yankees just don’t don’t do things the way they used to in the magical land that exists in my head.

• Athenian says:

Perhaps they should “Weekend at Bernie’s” The Boss in a conference room just to scare the hell out of everyone. Seriously, I want to agree that they don’t, but there was the ARod signing, the pending Cano signing… and a thin farm system at AAA.

• Adam says:

I know! Big Stein used to fart and a superstar player would come out.

Of course sometimes there was the occasional shart and Ken Phelps or Andy Hawkins would mysteriously arrive…

65. MannyGeee says:

I hate the thought of Dempster on this team. seems…. pointless

66. The Real Greg says:

Coming in hard and fast

Accodring to Marc Carig, the Yanks did their homework on Dempster and expressed some level of interest yesterday.

67. The Real Greg says:

Another thing to consider. Jim Hendry and Larry Rothschild are on the Yankees staff.

68. Marcy says:

So maybe they trade for Dempster, flip him to LA (like he wants) for something the Yanks want because Ryan Dempster — I just can’t see it – unless his ex-pitching coach and ex-GM have talked Cash into it because they can’t flip him anywhere he doesn’t want to go. Has a home in AZ but would he want to pitch there? Maybe his ex-guys would know-

• MannyGeee says:

can they flip him from the Yankees to anywhere since he would no longer have 10-5 rights? interesting….

• Athenian says:

I would guess that waiving his 10-5 rights would be contingent on being flipped. Would have to be part of the discussion, I’d think.

69. jjyank says:

I want MOAR TRADEZ! Come on MLB, I’m bored.

70. Karim Garcia says:

Horrific thoughts of Ryan Dempster walking 7 batters in the 2008 NLDS

71. CountryClub says:

Anybody think Cash is doing Theo a favor here? Word is that Yanks will get involved only if the Dodgers trade falls apart. So maybe Cash allowed this info to leak to put pressure on Dodgers to complete the trade? Why? Who knows. Maybe Theo repays the favor at a later date. Just a thought.

• Ted Nelson says:

Or the Yankees don’t want to bid against the Dodgers and only want to get involved if they are the only bidder Dempster will allow a trade to. Or the rumor is a lie.

72. The Real Greg says:

Jon Heyman saying that Dempster WILL agree to a Yankees trade.

73. Athenian says:

Why would the Yankees want a player forced to take a trade? I don’t like this Dempster deal at all. He cannot handle the AL East on a consistent basis and since the remaining schedule is 90% AL East, that would spell disaster.

74. The Real Greg says:

I have another crazy theory.

Yankees get Dempster.

D-Backs: Garza, Hughes
    Cubs: Prospects from both teams
    Yankees: Upton

• MannyGeee says:

So the Yankees need an infielder, a catcher and a NON OOGY… but not to stand pat while everyone else is doing something, they pull the trigger on another (not really good) SP and another OF?

Sorry dude, the story doesnt check out.

75. Cuso says:

We’re getting used to force the Dodgers’ hands. Dempster isn’t coming here.

• RetroRob says:

I thought the same. It’s not like the Yankees would leak this info, so it’s probably coming from the Cubs to try and force the Dodgers to step up their offer. Dempster also confirming he’d accept a deal to the Yankees is his way of also getting the Dodgers to step up since that’s clearly where he wants to go.

I’m sure the Yankees would do a deal for Dempster if the price is right, but I still think he goes to the Dodgers.

• Brian S. says:

Cashman and Epstein are buddies.

76. Derek says:

Although I think this is just some posturing by the Cubs, I really don’t like Dempster in NY if something did happen.

Extremely low BABIP, strikeout rate down, very high LOB% all pretty alarming…

77. JobaWockeeZ says:

These analysts don’t know the deadline doesn’t restrict trades…

• Cuso says:

They know. But they’re also running a television program. It’s about ratings.

They don’t break out the “well 4pm doesn’t ‘really’ mean anytthing because things continue to trickle in” until 4 pm passes.

They want to uphold the suspense.

78. Erica says:

Less than 90 minutes oh gahd.

79. Sweet Dick Willie says:

Reminder: Your trade proposal sucks.

80. MartinRanger says:

Dempster/Hughes is a wash in terms of value. Maybe Dempster is a better pitcher (I’m not entirely convinced) but Hughes is still cost-controlled.

I’d like an impact bat out of nowhere, but I’m not expecting it. The offense is simply playing badly right now. They are better than this. Whether they will be in October? No single trade is going to change that.

And I’d rather wait for Joba than overpay for a rental reliever.

This offseason, though, I’d like to see Cashman make a deal for a Granderson-type impact bat. Or Headley.

81. jjyank says:

Ughhh I can’t wait anymore, I need to go on lunch. Maybe I’ll come back to the Yankees trading for Upton for Cito Culver or something.

82. Tampa Yankee says:

ERMAHGERD TRERD ERL DA PLERS

83. Troll Hunter says:

No way is Dempster worth Gumbs annd Bichette Jr. Keep dreaming Theo!

84. Guest says:

if dempster falls in our lap for a nobody prospect then im for it..if not its a dumb move

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I still have no clue why they’d spend their time trying to acquire him unless Brian Cashman masquerades as a Freddy-hater on here.

Spare me the Hughes drivel in advance. Please.

• Athenian says:

Only legitimate reason I have seen is that Pettitte may be worse off than is being reported, thus eliminating him from any post season spot or pitching at all the rest of the season.

Otherwise, I am completely with you on this one. This HAS to be a charade by Cashman.

• Ted Nelson says:

He doesn’t have to think Dempster is that great to think he’s an upgrade over Hughes or Nova.

85. The Real Greg says:

If the Dodgers really wanted Dempster, then they would have had him by now.

• Cuso says:

Dempster really wants the Dodgers. The Cubs really want to get rid of Sempstresses. LA has better to offer than us.

Don’t get fooled

• Ted Nelson says:

What do the Dodgers have to offer? Their farm system is pretty universally regarded as bottom 5-10 in the league.

• Gonzo says:

I’m pretty sure Allen Webster and something minor gets it done probably less. That’s not even aiming at Zach Lee.

86. Brian S. says:

SOURCES: Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher are finalizing a deal that will see Cano’s sub sandwich traded to Swisher for his homemade potato salad and a snack to named later.

#confirmed

87. tyrone sharpton says:

Why the refusal to trust in Hughes? Ridiculous…the guy has been lights out after the debacle that was April/May

• Tampa Yankee says:

I don’t think it is them not trusting Hughes as it is them not trusting Freddy and Nova, Phelps not being totally stretched out and Pettitte’s setback.

• JohnnyC says:

Because no pitcher in ML history has ever had an off year due to an injury. Never! Every 1st round pick has gone straight to the Hall of Fame! Without ever losing! Check it out on BREF. It’s true!

• Ted Nelson says:

Lights out is very kind. And he also has no history of durability whatsoever.

I’m totally fine with him in the rotation, but I don’t have a ton of trust either.

• CS Yankee says:

Not really lights out, dimmed yes, but not out.

Pence might have been a so-so thing a few weeks ago, but unless its big, I hope they stand pat. By big, I mean CarGo for DBich and one high-upside from the DL pile of young guns (ManBan/Pineda/Campos) or mid-upside, injury-free pile (Warren. Nik, Monty).

• TomH says:

I wouldn’t say “lights out.” He’s certainly been good, better than many of us (me included) expected. However, he is a home-run-giving machine in Yankee Stadium, and I wonder how he would do in some nice big pitcher’s park, if the Yankees could obtain for him a nice ground ball pitcher. (I’m not thinking about a Dempster trade, of course.)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s like a super-stuft TJSC burrito.

88. Erica says:

Anything going on with Headley?

89. The Real Greg says:

Another question: Why would the Yankees play ball with the Cubs if its just a ruse?

• RetroRob says:

Who says it’s a ruse? The Yankees would take Dempster at some price. Cashman is talking to multiple teams right now on trades we’ll never hear about. It’s possible, and likely, this was leaked by the Cubs to get the Dodgers to up their deal, which doesn’t mean the Yankees can’t be the fall-back position. That’s probably exactly what’s happening.

• CS Yankee says:

Aren’t the Cubs themselves, just a ruse?

90. Cano says:

Why am I becoming very concerned that the Yanks make a bad move today. My gut doesn’t feel right at the moment.

• JohnnyC says:

Don’t worry. They didn’t just sign you to a 10 year extension. Now that wouldn’t sit well with my gut.

• MartinRanger says:

Well, for the sake of clarification, do you classify the Ichiro deal as a ‘bad move?’

• Cano says:

Not at all. I think it was brilliant on Cashman’s part. I’m a little uneasy as to the pitching aspect of the trade market. I’d rather go Phelps. Only player that I would openly accept in a trade if Justin Upton, but the pieces don’t work right now. In the offseason they do.

• JohnnyC says:

I think you should be working on your swing, especially against lefties, instead of commenting on this blog. How do you expect that big payday when all you do is lurk on the internet?

• Cris Pengiucci says:

That’s just from the hot dog you had for lunch. Nothing happening today …

• BK2ATL says:

Could’ve been that egg salad sandwich and milk you had for lunch.

I don’t see Cashman making a “bad” move now. I would “love” for NinjaCash to pop up at 3:30 pm with a huge move on no one’s radar (like Ichiro) to shut all of these sources up.

Not gonna happen, but would be great. The speculation is ridiculous.

91. Adam says:

I’ll play Devil’s Advocate here for a second.

If we get Ryan Dempster, we move Freddie Garcia back to the ‘pen or option Ivan Nova (I hate doing such.). We’re getting Joba in more or less a week, which will remove Qualls. Do we option Cody Eppley to get more experience and run with Phelps and Garcia to be the non-OOGY machine in the ‘pen?

(Total speculation.)

• Hoss says:

I would guess that Eppley goes as part of package for Dempster, with Phelps taking his place in bullpen and Garcia going to mop up once Joba returns and Qualls is set free. Again, a guess. I hope none of this transpires. Dempster is a questionable and costly upgrade.

92. JohnnyC says:

Red Sox just got Breslow. Says they’re starting Morales against Yankees next series. Loading up on left-handers. Like sharks in the water they see Yankees’ weakness against lefties. Would be a good thing to get a right-handed threat not named Jones, Nix or Martin in the line-up.

• The Real Greg says:

Don’t the Yanks have a winning record this year against lefties?

• JohnnyC says:

That’s with ARod and a hot Jeter. Both of which they don’t have currently. Add to that Cano’s terrible year against LHP.

• MartinRanger says:

Which would seem likely to improve based on his career rates, no?

Teix is mashing as a righthanded bat.

• JohnnyC says:

Why would it be likely this season? More likely than continuing to suck? If you’re saying he’ll revert to form next season, yeah, but it’s not unusual for outliers to last a complete season if not more. Swisher was awful against lefties last season, very good this year.

• MartinRanger says:

The Red Sox need a lot more than Craig Breslow. Their bullpen is just fine.

93. CS Yankee says:

Need Mor Bats!!!

IF they do something, do something big, young and powerful. Cargo, Upton, Joey Bats, Cepcedes, etc.

94. vin says:

Didn’t we write Dempster off, like 3 years ago, because he had irritable bowel system?

Oh no, that was Duchsherer… carry on.

95. Erica says:

59 MINUTES

96. RetroRob says:

How can Denard Span decline a deal to the Reds as just reported? He’s not a 10-5 guy.

97. Brian S. says:

The Red Sox traded Podsednik and Fat Albers for Breslow.

98. Betty Lizard says:

No! Not Dante Bichette, Jr! I apparently have a perverse attraction to the unibrow as he is my Baseball Boyfriend-in-Waiting.

• The Real Greg says:

I’m telling Coltrane

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Well rock the cradle of love
      Rock the cradle of love
      Yes the cradle of love don’t rock easily it’s true
      Well rock the cradle of love
      I rocked the cradle of love
      Yes the cradle of love don’t rock easily it’s true
      Well now
      It burned like a ball of fire
      When the rebel took a little child bride
      To tease yeah so go easy yeah
      Cause love cuts a million ways
      Shakes the devil when he misbehaves
      I aint nobody’s fool
      Come on shake it up
      Whatever I do

99. CountryClub says:

Erik Boland ?@eboland11
    One talent evaluator: “Brian just doesn’t want to deal top prospects.” Difficult to imagine him doing so for Dempster

100. tyrone sharpton says:

NYY is apparently discussing Chris Perez with Cleveland….whaaaa

101. sangreal says:

Do the Yankees grab McGehee from the pirates now that they picked up Sanchez? They seem intent on getting a non-offensive 3B

102. MartinRanger says:

If Cashman deals top prospects, he should do so in the winter when he has time to work out the best deals for the longer term. There is no rental worth a top prospect the Yankees could realistically acquire. But I’d definitely take stock of the system, especially the lower guys, after the season and package a few for a longer-term bat.

103. TJ says:

My gut tells me yanks do nothing and continue to fill holes from within

104. Eddard says:

Dumpster is not an upgrade! If you’re going to get a starter get someone who will make a difference, not someone who will get beat out by Phil Hughes for the playoff rotation. Cashman needs to make a big splash.

105. Chip Off The Ol'Knoblauch says:

I wonder if the Yanks do get Dempster if the plan would be to put Freddy back in ‘pen and trade Phelps and Nunez (or whoever) for Stephen Drew or someone of that ilk.

106. The Real Greg says:

If the Dodgers dont bite, then the Cubs really have to trade him to the Yankees so they will accept less.

• MannyGeee says:

nah, hes not a hot potato. and I would be willing to bet hes the kind of player that passes through waivers.

107. jjyank says:

Back from lunch…didn’t miss anything, did I?

108. The Real Greg says:

I think what Sweeney said is going to happen. Dempster’s just going to fall into their laps.

109. Thunder Road Runner says:

Very willing to trade Nunez/Pena for just about anyone.
    Phelps….not so much!

110. yooboo says:

bronxton-chapman for Reds? nice!

111. Betty Lizard says:

Wow. No trades. This IS the New Yankees. Reuse – Reduce – Recycle!

• RetroRob says:

23-minutes to go.

• Thunder Road Runner says:

Get used to it, Betty. Apparently, they are persisting in holding on to their prospects because they will need them when they start slashing payroll. Say, will the price of tickets be slashed accordingly? What? Oh. Didn’t think so….

112. Marcy says:

Meanwhile check out the Yankee lineup – ugh!

113. Jacob says:

Bench Bat Bench Bat Bench Bat Bench Bat Bench Bat

114. MannyGeee says:

MLBTR hasnt updated in 12 minutes…. FREEEEEAK OUTTTTTTTTT!!!

115. Thunder Road Runner says:

Doesn’t look like anything shaking…

116. Athenian says:

Well this has been fun. More important issue is to hope the Yankees avoid being swept by the Fighting Showalters. Based on the lineup, doesn’t look good.

117. The Troll says:

If they don’t get a useful, everyday bat then their WS hopes are severely reduced. I’m practically panicking over here!

118. Brian S. says:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

119. yooboo says:

Yanks’ current standpoint is not getting Dempster. Thats good news.

120. Yankeefan says:

15 Minutes left lets pull a deal do something.

121. FIPster Doofus says:

I’ve still got 14 more minutes to dream of a Chase Headley acquisition.

122. MartinRanger says:

Let me say that I do believe Michael Pineda is going to be a valuable Yankee. But damn it would be great to still have Montero.

• steve says:

look at his numbers in July and Vs. Lefties… He’s exactly what we need

Mason Williams, Gary Sanchez, Adams. For Montero!

123. tyrone sharpton says:

bowden is saying yankees MAYBE acquired dempster….

124. John says:

I have to believe that Laird is better option than Wiggington

125. Erica says:

Buster Olney ?@Buster_ESPN
    As jayson stark reporting: Dodgers out on dempster. Yankees talking.

126. The Real Greg says:

Bowden saying the Yanks have Dempster. Looking for confirmation

127. The Real Greg says:

Also hearing that Dellin Betances is in the package to the Cubs

128. JD says:

@JimBowdenESPNxm reports at 3;49 that the Yanks may have gotten Dempster

129. JD says:

@JimBowdenESPNxm tweets at 3;49 that the Yanks may have gotten Dempster

130. The Troll says:

FUCK!!! If the world tells me that the dumb, cock-gobbling Cashman acquired a pitcher over a bat . . . I am going to have an epic meltdown!

131. King George says:

Take this for what it’s worth…got a text from my uncle who works for Bloomberg that he has heard from multiple people in their sports department who confirmed Dempster is going to the Yankees. Hopefully, more details to come.

132. Pat D says:

ESPN chat guys already saying Dempster not a good fit for YS3.

• RetroRob says:

Same ones who said Kuroda wouldn’t work in the AL East and a Yankee Stadium?

No matter. Dempster to the Rangers.

133. Erica says:

Scott Miller ?@ScottMCBS
    Looks like Dempster to #Rangers, working on confirmation
    Retweeted by Erik Boland

134. Pat D says:

Now sounding like Dempster is going to Texas.

135. The Troll says:

I’m on the verge of being an incredibly disgruntled camper

136. Yankeefan says:

1 minute omgggggggggggggggggggggggg

137. Joe says:

The Rangers acquired Ryan Dempster from the Cubs, tweets ESPN’s Buster Olney.

138. Marcy says:

Rangers got him

139. Betty Lizard says:

Getting Dempster would be like getting underwear for Christmas.

• RetroRob says:

What’s worse? Holes in your underwear or holes in your rotation?

To be clear, I don’t think the Yankees have holes in their rotation.

140. Brian S. says:

Rangers got him?

141. Erica says:

Eff this noise

142. The Real Greg says:

Goodbye WS. The Texas Rangers robbed us AGAIN

143. Dan says:

Seems like Dempster is going to the Rangers.

• Bo Knows says:

I hope profar and/or Olt were in the package just because it would really help NY in the long run if either/both are not in the AL

144. PhillyMatt says:

Dempster to Rangers Thank you

145. Nathan says:

Cashman stood pat. No surprise.

146. Cuso says:

Dempster a Ranger. Who fell for the idea of the Yankees? They were being used just like was said at 12pm.

147. cashisabitch says:

again the yanks do NOTHING. 1st round losers AGAIN

148. tyrone sharpton says:

WHEW…dempster to texas. he’s going to get sodomized in the AL

149. The Troll says:

Wow. So . . . wow. He really did nothing? Seriously? Wow. I’m in shock. Not good.

150. JobaWockeeZ says:

What is Cash saving the prospects for? Another pitcher to have Tommy John surgery?

151. Derek says:

Pretty clear now that the Yankees were involved merely to drive up price

• RetroRob says:

Probably not. They were involved to potentially get a starter at the right price.

• Derek says:

I don’t know, if anything it was just hope that the Cubs would get desperate at the end if there were no other takers.

We’ll know more depending on the package Texas sent.

152. Dan6767 says:

We will lose in the first round again. We made no additions. And we will be playing either Angles or Rangers. Sorry but this season is already a wash. We live and die by home run. But I am confident that we will not win World Series. Which is no better then making the playoffs.

153. The Real Greg says:

Sherman saying that we are trading Qualls to the Pirates for Casey McGehee

154. rek4gehrig says:

Seriously? We did nothing? Oh well

155. Erica says:

Joel Sherman ?@Joelsherman1
    #Yankees on verge of getting Casey McGehee for Chad Qualls from #Pirates

156. Get Phelps Up says:

Holy shit the Yankees might get more than a used jockstrap for Qualls????

157. Dan says:

I’m happy Cashman stood pat. There really weren’t any moves out there to be made that drastically improved this team. Headley was really the only bat worth going after that would have really improved the offense, and he would have cost an insane amount in prospects, same for Gordon. They don’t really need bullpen help with Joba coming back soon. Maybe they could have used a starting pitcher, but there wasn’t anyone really available that would have been that huge of an upgrade over Freddy. Also, if Andy comes back for the playoffs then you are taking Nova out of the playoff rotation, which I am not a fan of.

158. Jacob says:

Qualls for Mcghee official WS GUYS!

• Tom says:

The Qualls era is over! The Qualls era over!

(imagine the music in the “prohibition is over” commercial)

159. MartinRanger says:

Oh I’ll take a flier on him. He used to be able to hit. And Joba upgrades on Qualls.
    I’m just stunned anyone wanted him.

160. Jacob says:

Qualls for Mcghee official GUYS!

161. RetroRob says:

The Yankees got something for Qualls.

162. Scooter Blake says:

Cashman is great at standing pat and creating the best regular season baseball team. While Dipoto, Daniels and Amaro are out building teams to win PLAYOFF SERIES’.

• Bunt Gardner says:

Obviously baseball is not your strong suit.

• Scooter Blake says:

The results speak for themselves sweetie.

Swisher, Tex and the majority of our other “impact” hitters will inevitably fail to show up in the post season again. Which leaves our fate up to Kuroda, Nova and Andy Pettitte.

Not to mention the fact that this is our first playoff venture in 16 years without Mariano Rivera.

Cashman makes bold moves in 2009 = Yanks win World Series.
        Cashman sits on his hands in 10 and 11 = Yanks exit playoffs in first round.

• jjyank says:

It’s pretty much impossible to build a team for a small sample size.

• Scooter Blake says:

It may be “impossible” to PREDICT a short series, but it’s very easy to prepare for one.

Zack Greinke.
        Matt Garza.
        John Johnson.
        Anyone that can slot between CC and Kuroda would DRASTICALLY increase our chances in a playoff game where we can’t rely on our hitting.

• Adam says:

Yes but this doesn’t exist in a vacuum. I am glad the Yanks didn’t give up the equivalent prospect package for Greinke.

Also…didn’t John Johnson retire in the 70s?

• Get Phelps Up says:

JJ and Garza aren’t better than Kuroda. And they have Pettitte to slot between CC and Kuroda.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

I CAN’T BELIEVE WE DIDN’T GET JOHN JOHNSON!

• MannyGeee says:

obvious troll is obvious. moving on

• pat says:

Did the Angels even make the playoffs last year?

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Don’t you have to get to the play-offs to win a play-off series? Because I’m pretty sure Amaro’s team isn’t going to the play-offs this year.

163. The Troll says:

Oooo!!! Casey McGehee!!! Might as well serve up that WS ring right now. Those other jokers don’t stand a chance!

164. Adam says:

Seriously McGehee has decent pop, can play the corners…and they got him for Qualls. Not shabby.

165. Eddard says:

How many times is Cashman going to get beaten to the punch by Nolan Ryan? Every single time. Hopefully this doesn’t cost us a WS berth like it did in 2010.

• MannyGeee says:

if Dempster is the ‘single’ reason that the Rangers make the World series over the Yankees, then you would be right… but no way in hell that Ryan fcking Dempster is the answer to the season for Texas. Not buying it.

Thank your lucky little stars he is not getting Nova or Hughes’ next start. your head would explode.

• jjyank says:

Since when is Dempster some kind of mythical savior?

• Tom says:

People think the shiny ERA will stay shiny (and that he won’t regress from his 2.25 ERA to closer to his 3.7 xFIP)

He’s still a good starter but I think people see an ERA in the low 2′s and think ace and that he can maintain that.

• Bunt Gardner says:

Wait…what? This was you earlier:

Eddard says:
      July 31, 2012 at 11:32 am

Now you’re saying Nolan beat Cashman??

166. cashthegenius says:

woooooooooooh WHAT AN INCREDIBLE MOVE! Wow Cashman, you just vaulted the Yanks right into the World Series! FUCKING AMAZING.

167. Thunder Road Runner says:

A servicible body at a position(s) of need….

168. Chip Off The Ol'Knoblauch says:

How does Chad Qualls keep finding work?! Oh well, I’ll take the useful bench piece over the guy keeping a seat warm for Joba any day. Well played Cash.

169. Erica says:

Marc Carig ?@MarcCarig
    Classic Cashman deal: Yankees get useful piece for a player that was likely going to be the odd man out when Joba comes back this week.

….Okay, I see his point.

170. Rocky Road Redemption says:

This trade deadline sucked.

171. thenamestsam says:

I know everyone wants to see a bunch of moves because trades are sexy and whatever but Cashman absolutely made the right choices here. This team is still a heavy favorite to make the playoffs, and whoever thinks they have the magic formula after that is full of it. The only kind of player that would have made sense to deal for is an impact player, someone who can really swing a playof series. Greinke is the only one of those guys who got moved, and the price was too high for a rental.

172. Adam says:

Joba en route to the Bronx, apparently?

173. Slu says:

Brackman DFA’d by the Reds. Who wants him back???

174. Bavarian Yankee says:

lol, Brackman’s been DFAed by the Reds. At least it was kinda funny to see him fail at high A this year.

Those Killer Bees suck. Well, at least 2 of them.

175. Grover says:

This trade deadline showed restraint. The August 31st waiver deadline could be much more interesting. Lee pitched a shutout last night and he just might be put on waivers. Though clearly a risky move on the budget, great starting pitchers win championships and Cashman believes this to be true. I would not rule out a claim on Beckett if he returns in time from his injury and shows some of his old form. He is, after all, a postseason gamer and taking one from the Bosox would be so cool.