Jul

Yankees designate Dewayne Wise for assignment

The Yankees have designated Dewayne Wise for assignment to create room on the 25-man and 40-man rosters for the recently acquired Ichiro Suzuki. Wise had a solid run as the fifth outfielder — 123 wRC+ in 63 plate appearances — but will be forever remembered for turning the season around with his fifth inning bunt against the Royals on May 22nd. The Yankees were 21-21 at the time and have gone 36-17 since. So long, Dewayne. You done good.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

Thank you, Dewayne. I’ll be looking for your Sportscenter moment in another uniform next year. You damn straight done good.

2. Ro says:

Kind of feel bad for the guy, but I think he knew he was marked the whole time. Personally, I would have DL’d Swisher instead, retroactive, he could have been back late next week instead of releasing Wise so quickly.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I keep on forgetting who it was several years ago who suffered this same fate on the Yankees after doing an amazing fill-in job.

• Ro says:

Who? A few years ago. Not 1909, dude.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Possibly. He was DFAed around the deadline?

• Ro says:

I’ve seen pretty much every Yankee game for 30 years and I’ve never once seen or heard of the player Aaron Guiel. What position did he play and who was he filling in for?

• yooboo says:

He was a Yankee. yup..

• Ro says:

44 games in 2006. Incredible…

• RetroRob says:

You’ve seen just about every Yankee game for the past 30 years, not including those 44? : -)

It’s funny, I always believe I’ll remember every player on the team if he’s up for more than a cup of coffee, so I’m always surprised when I’ll run across a player I have no memory being on the team only to discover he played for them for half a season, etc. Guiel I do remember…barely.

• Ro says:

This no-it-all admits being wrong. It’s just weird how a player can entirely escape our mind. Sometimes I get into a Yankee game type of coma after a while.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You’re brainfarting right now, then. It happens. I was just on baseballreference.com and the sheer existence of Josh Towers on the 2009 Yanks escapes me completely.

Guiel did a damn nice job in 2006 for the Yanks. Seems like he finished the season with the team, though. I still think I’m thinking of someone else.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Brett Tomko was also on that 2009 team, mid-season or so.

Josh Towers? Shit, that had to be either very early on, or very late. I’m guessing early.

• Ro says:

You’re right. It is rather amazing how some of us fans can watch virtually every game, every season and completely blank out on impact players. It’s just weird. It’s a weird feeling. I’m having a hard time accepting what I am reading :)

• yooboo says:

Who was the replacement? Ruben Sierra or Bobby Abreu?

• Ro says:

Trying to think who you are referring to and I’m coming up empty?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I haven’t a clue. For a second, I thought it was Nick Green, but he seems to have lasted the season as well. It’ll come to me someday.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Andy Phillips?

3. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

Wish we could have found a way to keep him he was doing a great job, hope he catches on somewhere else.

• Anthony says:

Wise has to clear waivers before being DFAed? Is that why everyone is thinking he’ll leave?

• yooboo says:

He is out of 40 man roster. That is finalized. Once he clears the waiver then he make two choices. Return to Yankees as AAA player or go elsewhere.

4. Bubba Crosby says:

It was not me. Just defiantly not me.

5. DT says:

Damn i liked Wise. I rather see Nix or Qualls go…

6. Brian S. says:

The last sentence in this paragraph is semi-racist. I think.

7. Kiko Jones says:

Really liked Wise ever since he saved Mark Buehrle’s perfecto with that spectacular catch in ’09. And he acquitted himself quite well in the Bronx. Good luck, man.

8. Claudell says:

+1 for Wise. Hopefully he catches on somewhere.

9. Alex Rodriguez says:

After a horrendous start, Wise started to pick things up. Hopefully he can find another team to play for.

10. Dela G says:

Thanks for your great play, D-wise!

11. Got Heeeeeeem says:

Hope Wise can go somewhere good. It must suck to be the guy that has to go after the big trade.

Good luck Wisey.

12. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

If only the Yankees DFA’d A rod instead of Wise, , they’d really be in good shape for the stretch run.

/Stuart A’d

13. Greg C89 says:

Couldn’t he just end up in AAA? Is Ichiro even an upgrade at this point?

14. RetroRob says:

Some players are starting OFers, some players are 4th OFers, some players have the inside track to be the 5th OFer, and some players are fighting to be the 5th OFer. That latter is DeWayne Wise today. Teams will have an interest in him because he has a specific skill he can bring (defense and decent speed), but his fate right now is what we’ve seen in 2012. If he’s willing to keep playing that role (and why not?), some team will take a shot on him again. Could even be the Yankees if he clears waivers.

15. Elmgrovegnome says:

I thought the idea was to get Ibanez and Jones off the field. With Swisher hurt they still have to field for a week or so. I would have kept wise and DLd Swisher.

• mt says:

Yes, long term but they keep saying Swisher will be ready Friday – we’ll see.

I can see a (bad) scenario where Swisher plays on Friday and hurts himself more and then has to go on DL ensuring Ibanez/Jones for a couple of weeks without safety net of Wise – let’s hope not.

I would have DL’ed Swisher also.

• RetroRob says:

If he plays Friday he’ll have missed five games. No need to increase his missed time by a few hundred percent and keep him out 15 games if his injury isn’t all that major.

• Steve (different one) says:

Then they just call up Dickerson, who I’ve been told many times belongs in the bigs. See how easy?

Or you move Ichiro! to RF and call up Cust. That could be interesting.

16. Banzai Kid!!!. says:

I will hit over 300 rest of year, soon i will be scoring rots of runs.

17. Steve S says:

Hope he goes unclaimed. He’ll be back in September and could have a spot on the playoff roster.

18. TopChuckie says:

It was 3 years ago today he made the catch to preserve Buehrle’s perfect game. Bitter sweet anniversary.

19. yankee9ersfan says:

This means one thing and one thing only. ICHIRO MUST BUNT NONSTOP!! We don’t want Wise to turn the season around the other way.