Jul

Yankees will explore third base trade market

With Alex Rodriguez likely to miss several due to a broken bone in his left hand, the Yankees will explore the third base trade market and consider all options according to Joel Sherman and Buster Olney. That includes Chase Headley of the Padres. The Yankees expect to have A-Rod back by mid-September but won’t know for sure until he sees the doctors in New York tomorrow.

As I mentioned this morning, potential stopgap options could include Marco Scutaro, Stephen Drew, Placido Polanco, and Ty Wigginton. I would be pretty surprised if they made a significant move for someone like Headley, who is under team control as an arbitration eligible player through 2014, though I wouldn’t be opposed to it. The Yankees will recall Ramiro Pena to take A-Rod’s spot in the short-term, but I would not be shocked if something comes together quickly and the team finds a more viable replacement during tomorrow’s day off.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Mark L. says:

It is looking increasingly unlikely that A-Rod will be capable of manning 3rd base for more than 60-80 games a season going forward. Headley’s age, contract, versatility, splits, durability…etc. all make him worth the prospect bounty that Padres will undoubtedly demand. This would not be a rental, rather it would be a medium-term solution. It may be cheaper to wait until the offseason, but I’m ready to give up some serious farm talent for this guy.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Not sure why you feel ARod is only capable of 60-80 games at 3B, but getting someone like Headly would mean only about 20 or so games for ARod there. Should the team really put him out to pasture (full time DH) this soon? A better solution would be to find someone to slowly replace him there. That’s difficult to do unless you have a young guy in the organization that you trust longer term (Laird? Doesn’t appear that’s the path they’re taking with him.)

I suspect a rental is more likely than a trade for someone like Headly. Aramis Ramirez was brought up. Someone like him (or Scutaro or one of the others mentioned) might be the better way to go.

• Kosmo says:

Arasmis has a Hanley like contract to consider but I´m not opposed to him being in pinstripes. He could easily fit into the middle of the lineup. Still a fine hitter.

• Kosmo says:

other versatile utility INF include:
          Yuniesky Betancourt
          Alexi Amarista
          Luis Valbuena

• Cris Pengiucci says:

So how is AAV for the receiving team calculated if Mil pays part of his salary? Are they on hook for the full contract AAV or only they part which they actually take on?

• Jacob says:

Would have to think if brewers really want rid of him they would eat a nice bit of his contrac for better prospects but I have a hard time seeing where he fits after Alex returns, plus he is like what 34 or 35? It sounds like a broken record but eventually the youth will be even more needed

• Kosmo says:

headley is 6 years younger, but Arasmis can mash. Somehow 26 mil plus a potential 4 mill buyout would have to be divided up. Arasmis is 34.

• Jacob says:

I cannot farly say who I would rather have because as I said in a lower comment I have a man crush on Headley so I am biased

• Joe R says:

Because he broke his hand? He’s been fine out there this year, already over 60 games.

• The fact that he broke his hand doesn’t make him an injury risk, but the fact that he’s now a 36 yr old third baseman who hasn’t played in more than 138 games in the last 5 years and now has a hip issue and possibly a hand issue (we’ll see how it heals, but sometimes these things can be nagging issues) probably do, no? The cause of this injury isn’t the issue, it’s the outlook moving forward.

Now, that’s not to say the guy’s done in the field or even limited to the 60-80 games cited by the original comment. But his durability is a question-mark, moving forward.

• Joe R says:

He’s basing his outlook of the future off the fact that he’s injured again, even tho it has nothing to do with A-Rod himself. Which is what I was questioning.

• I understand that. And I’m responding by pointing out that while getting hit by a pitch isn’t a harbinger of durability problems, the resulting injury (combined with other relevant factors) could very well be.

It’s a separate but related point.

2. Granderslam says:

Jon Heyman ?@JonHeymanCBS

initial word is #yankees are unlikely to trade what it would take for headley. market is said huge for headley.

• Rich in NJ says:

Obviously, that has to be the “word” irrespective of the Yankees’ true intentions.

• Steve (different one) says:

Agreed, but we were hearing the marke was huge before Arod was hurt, so I don’t doubt it at all.

• Rainbow Connection (Futurely Dummies Playing w Balls and/or RI$P FTW) says:

what were the odds the report was “the asking price for headley surprisingly very low. yanks love him and will pursue heavily”

• Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

This. I have yet to see a report like the one, if the MSM really had any clue, that would have preceded the Hanley trade:

‘The Marlins are looking to get some drek back to offload Hanley. The price is low enough that every team with any need on the left side of their infield could afford him and should try to acquire him.’

3. JonS says:

Headley would be a nice fit in the Of to help get under the 2014 budget as well too right?

4. Erica says:

Is it okay to just make a sad face?

5. Jacob says:

Maybe they could find a 3B that could play right next year if they intend to let swish go and keep Alex at 3B, I think headley is a great idea he could be out in right, his main defensive value is at 3B but if they want to keep A;ex there he could play right and I think he would have good pop at YS3 could possibly turn around 15-20 homers, good bridge to next RF and I do not think Alex will be a third baseman by 2014

• Jacob says:

I have a huge man crush on Headley by the way guys, have ever since he was on my fantasy team in 2010. Would love the guy to be in pinstripes

• Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

I didn’t think much of him until I just looked him up. He hits righties better than lefties and plays third and OF. He would be a nice stopgap, could contribute some offensively, and allow the Yanks to probably keep Cano and Granderson. I would give up someone not named Sanchez or Williams to get him.

• jjyank says:

I’m a fan as well. I just worry about the prospect cost.

6. I’ll brace for punishment from the masses, but once Nunez gets back to playing shape again, I’d go with him at 3rd. He won’t be moved around every day, which is part of the reason I believe he struggled.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

If he shows he’s more stable during his rehab, I could see that happening. Not sure I’d want it, but he does have some benefit over the other options.

• Jacob says:

I guess we both will then because I think Nunez is also the best option from within

• rogue says:

Agree. Nunez has upside.

Giradi needs to be patient with him. With his hitting potential and speed, Nunez is the best option. Ramiro is just another sucky bat in the lineup.

• Tim says:

I agree and that is what I would like to see as well. I don’t see how the alternatives are that much rosier. And I don’t want to deal the prospects necessary to get Headley. When those guys are ready there will probably be a few holes to plug and the cheap talent will be needed. It’s a lot harder to replenish the farm system with the talent acquisition rules now.

7. Dropped Third says:

Can chase play the OF? He can replaces swisher and spell arod pretty cheaply at third. Get it done cash!

8. viridiana says:

Numez and Nix both ticking time bombs at third. Would like to see Nunez on team for his offense, speed, but didn’t they send him down to focus exclusively on SS? I hope Pena is just two-day move, what with Chavez starting today and off day tomorrow. Then, hopefully they bring up Laird or Russo — or go for a Wiggy or Scutaro.

9. Kevin G. says:

Let’s say the Yankees traded for Headley, what would happen when ARod comes back? Somebody would be losing playing time. Probably Ichiro or Jones/Ibanez

• yooboo says:

Ichiro would start at LF. Headley would start at 3B and Arod would start at DH.

So it probably is both Jones and Ibanez but Arod can swing well after healing broken hand?. I don’t know.

• MannyGeee says:

Ibanez would be the odd man out. A-Rod could go back to 3B or DH, Headley could play 3B/OF. Swish could DH/OF

10. yooboo says:

I had Yankees traded for Headley this off season.

Yanks get: 3B/OF Headley.

Padres get: 2B Corban Joseph, SS Eduardo Nunez, C JR Murphy and SP Bryan Mitchell.

I don’t know if this package is good enough to get Headley but Padres will need to bolster middle infielder offensively. Mitchell and Murphy are one call away from a cup of coffee in MLB.

However, we are still within the season, we can’t send Nunez anywhere and Padres may want a several players with MLB experience, WHO?.

Give Laird a shot.

• Rainbow Connection (Futurely Dummies Playing w Balls and/or RI$P FTW) says:

this trade doesnt deserve a serious response

• yooboo says:

No need to talk about losing Nunez this offseason because this trade is one of few trades I made in the fantasy.

• Beamish says:

I’d pull the trigger on that deal in a heart beat today – which means it is almost certainly not enough.

I think the need to get a 3B to “replace” ARod is that many people do not think ARod’s markedly better DH/3B split this year is just a case of “small sample” size and is really indicative of his probable improvement.

ARod’s deal is a albatross whether he is a serviceable 3B or a good DH. May as well use him where his bat is most productive and get younger in the field.

• yooboo says:

during the season trade and off season trade are different.

Headley is cheaper comparing to Ramirez and Rodriguez so Padres will want a legit MLB player with control contract like Nova or Robertson by July 31. It is easily a big no from Yanks.

Padres have Gorko who can play either 3B or 2B so they can have both Headley and Gorko in the same lineup which should be better than what they have for the lineup right now. Losing Headley will not improve the lineup with Gorko so Nunez and Joseph offer a good gap power to complement to Gorko. Mitchell has a power sinker that will work greatly in all the West Coast stadiums. Padres lack catching depth so Murphy is a bonus.

Yanks may lose nothing but Padres get something to ride for cheap.

Trade between Yanks and Padres is the “last option”, meaning Padres presumably could not get top prospects or high prospect for Headley. So that trade wasn’t made via an aggressive approach. In real life, Padres would hold on Headley until there was a sweet deal.

• Jacob says:

I think it would have worked pre-season but might have to modify it a bit.

• yooboo says:

I know. Figuring out prospect package always is not that easy. I tried it without losing any lower prospect like Austin, Santana or Flores or even Sanchez.

Padres will want Gary Sanchez as a part of return for Headley.

• Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

11. Robert says:

King Felix was head hunting. Where is Strawberry off the bench when we need him? The Yankees need an enforcer,Who on our team fits the bill?

12. Ross says:

While Headley would be ideal in the interim, his cost is a prohibitive and his presence would create a logjam at the hot corner.
    I know we’re in a pennant race but, isn’t there a certain Cuban mashing on our AAA squad whose natural position is third base?

13. PG55 says:

Make the trade with ATL for Prado..can play 3B plus all other infield positions plus LF plus hit…braves been shopping him since Spring

14. Gonzo says:

I’m shocked nobody has mentioned that they should call up Nick Castellanos. You’re slipping RAB folk.

#citoculver

15. vin says:

Headley makes a ton of sense for this team. Switch hitter who can play both LF and 3B. He can replace Swisher moving forward. He’s arbitration eligible for the next two years as well, which means that he could still hold value in the trade market if the Yanks decide he’s more of a luxury than a necessity (in theory).

The question is what would it cost to acquire him. I’m curious to see what similar deals have been made. Actually, it almost reminds me of the Nady deal. However, Xavier was a year older, less versatile, and was only under team control for one more year.

16. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Sure explore the trade market, why not? I doubt a deal gets done. Peña for a few days, CoJo this weekend once Swish is healthy, and Nuñez end of next week only if CoJo fails.

17. Big Al says:

Bat Ichiro 2nd and move everyone else down a spot. Under NO circumstances bring up Nunez. He gives away 2 runs a game. Pena has an outstanding glovw and would be a plus in late innings. Martin has to go. His offense is affecting his defense. Both are terrible. Sorry to see Wise DFA’d. He was a decent player and more productive than Jones right now. The Mariners owe us King Felix for putting Arod on the Dl. Go get him Brian.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Hopefully you are at least partially joking. Nunez gives up 2 runs/game with his D? Pena has an outstanding glove (yes, he is known for his D, but he wasn’t outstanding in the Majors earlier this season)? Who do you replace Martin with. You may have some argument with th Wise comment, but otherwise, I’d re-look at what you said. Doesn’t make sense to me.

• MannyGeee says:

2 bases a game? maybe… but giving up 2 RUNS a game? a bit of a stretch.

18. Eddard says:

And this is why we’re in big trouble. Farm resources will now be lessened as we search for a stop gap. Chavez is one slide or fall away from a career ending injury. Nunez can’t field. Pena can’t hit. We’ve already got a guy that can’t hit- Martin. And we still have to upgrade the catcher. Cashman has his work cut out for him.

• Get Phelps Up says:

OK, so in the last week you’ve gone from “We don’t need another OF because Ibanez and Jones are doing great” to “We’re in bid trouble because we got swept in Oakland” to “Ichiro is a savior. No wonder we started winning after acquiring him” to this.

I mean, really.

• Eddard says:

Circumstances change when you lose your cleanup hitter until September. I do think the Ichiro signing will help mitigate the injury. We lost a future HOFer but also gained one in Ichiro. Once Swisher comes back we’ll have an ok lineup with Teixera/Cano hitting cleanup. Chavez, Jones and Ibanez will have to step up and help cover for the loss of A-Rod and our .170 hitting catcher.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

We lost a future HOFer but also gained one in Ichiro.

Neither of whom are playing like HoFer’s at this point in their careers, so what’s that got to do with today? It’s not like Ichiro is a perfect replacement for ARod. I like the pick up, but he’s certainly a lot different player than ARod is.

19. Kosmo says:

Headley has a team friendly contract. He´s 28 with an OK upside. SWH. He doesn´t have as high a ceiling as someone like Hanley. He doesn`t hit for power although he does have some pop. Even though his splits indicate he hits better on the road still doesn´t hit for much power.
    My question would be how would he perform away from San Diego a very different BB environment than playing for the NYY.
    What would be the cost in terms of prospects ?

• Gonzo says:

That’s a good question, but I think you might need to add a little more context.

Hanley’s last two years of OPS+ combined is 98. Chase’s is 121.

Also, Headley is 6 months younger than Ramirez and on the much friendlier contract.

As far as prospects, I would imagine that he costs more (possibly much more) than Hanley for sure, but that’s JMO.

• Kosmo says:

Sure but Hanley is a great player if he can find it again. Headley at his best is nowhere near Hanley at his best at least in terms of offensive production. Hanley could carry a team once upon a time. Headley is just a solid 2.5 WAR player.

• Gonzo says:

Which WAR are you using? Chase has out-WAR’d Hanley in ’10, ’11, and so far in ’12 in both B-Ref and Fangraphs.

You have to project moving forward. At what point to stats from 2006-2009 become mush less valuable than stats from 2010-present?

20. oldmanalex says:

So now that AROD will definitely not meet the 150 game mark and 30/100 for another straight year, what impact might that have when AROD comes back and going into next year? Does that mean he isn’t the cleanup hitter anymore, gets shifted down, not starting 3B…?

I think as disappointing as he was this year, we will learn just how valuable he is to the lineup at the spot now that he’s gone. BTW, he looked like he cried a river during the postgame interview. He looked more somber than even the steroid coming out conference.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I agree that he probably adds more to the team than we expct and we’ll find out soon. I seriously doubt this changes anything going forward (at least for next season) unless for some odd reason, he doesn’t recover well, which I think is highly unlikely with this type of injury. I’m not the biggest ARod fan, but he still adds a dimension to this team.

21. Steve (different one) says:

The most obvious candidate in terms of cost/availability is Ty Wigginton. He kindof sucks, but Cashman doesn’t have any leverage right now.

I’ll be surprised if Wigginton isn’t here by the weekend.

22. Frank says:

Realistically, what can the yankees offer for headley? They should be able to get a deal done without giving away mason or sanchez. Id actually be ok with dealing manny if we need to.

23. Jeter

Swisher
      Ibanez/Jones
      Chavez
      Ichiro
      Martin

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Maybe that’s why ARod appeared to be crying during the postgame. When he comes back, he could be slotted in either right behind Swish in the 7th spot or right ahead of him at 6.

(Kidding. We all know he’ll be back in the 3 hole.)

24. Mike says:

I think its time for Cashman to let some of the kids play. The only 3B on the market who would be an impact player is Chase Headley, and it appears the cost is prohibitive. Why not let the kids play? A Laird/Chavez platoon could be effective. At least it gives a chance for Laird to show his talents and increase his trade value. If it doesn’t work we search the waiver wire in August.

25. The Real Greg says:

All we have to do now is huddle in the corner and think about this.

\

26. The Real Greg says:

Another option that I thought.

Chris Johnson from the Astros. He’s 27 and the ‘Stros are looking to build up their farm system.

27. Vinnie Gagliano says:

I’ve said it before – the guy I want is Martin Prado. I know they want to extend him and they are competing this year but a Austin, Warren for Prado deal they could consider. Prado’s position versatility would be perfect for Arods days off, and he could fill in the OF on the other days.

Another thought is – Arizona said awhile ago that they liked Headley via MLBTR.com. We could get him as a short term solution and trade him and several others for Upton after the season is over.

• Hall and Nokes says:

He’s too valuable to the Braves atm and they now see him as the heir to Chipper at 3rd. Assuming they don’t throw a pile of cash at someone like Greinke in the next 7 days, they’ll have the money for him.

28. OMG! Bagels! says:

If they ask for prospects, we could just say we don’t have any. Like in Monty Python when they said they already had one (Holy Grail). “What did they say?” “They said they already have one.”

Padres: “What did the Yankees say?”
    “That they didn’t have any prospects.”
    “Okay, well just ask for money. Do they have that?
    “That they have.”

29. Jersey Joe says:

Wigginton, 2010-2012 WAR: -1.2

I don’t know how he keeps showing up on any trade rumor or how he earned $7,500,000 over 2 years.

Stay away, Cash, far away.

30. Steve says:

Why not call up Laird, who is hot right now, let him play 3B against lefties. Then move Corban Joseph to 3b in AAA to get him some experience there, this creates an opening at 2B for David Adams who is 25 and needs a promotion to AAA.

If Laird fails, give Joseph a shot. I can’t see Wiggington being a significant upgrade over a Laird/Chavez platoon.

What good is all this depth the Yankees are creating if they don’t use it, and are eventually just going to have to lose these guys to the Rule 5 draft.