Jul

Yanks earn split with ChiSox behind Hughes

Source: FanGraphs

On a steamy Sunday afternoon in which the Yankees celebrated their history, the current team went back to what the Bombers do best to beat the White Sox: they pitched well and they hit the ball out of the park. The win clinched a split of the four-game series with Chicago and gave New York a very solid 5-2 homestand. Let’s recap…

• Rebound: The ChiSox struck for two quick runs in the first — replays showed that Alejandro De Aza did not touch the plate on the first run, however — and a few years (months?) ago this would have been an ugly four-inning, six-run type of outing for Phil Hughes. Something like that. Instead, he settled down and allowed just four baserunners (zero runs) is the next seven innings to turn in a high-quality start. Phil struck out eight, walked one, and completed eight innings for the second straight start and third time in six starts. Over his last ten outings, Hughes has pitched to a 3.27 ERA with a 4.21 K/BB and only once in his 16 starts has he walked more than two hitters. That’s pretty darn good. Go Philbert.
  • Two Times: The Yankees used a nice and simple formula to get back in the game. Raul Ibanez singled to lead off the second and one batter later Eric Chavez homered into the second deck to tie the game at two. In the next inning, Robinson Cano followed up a Mark Teixeira walk with a two-run shot that fell just short of the right field bleachers. Pretty simple; see ball, hit ball a mile. Robbie’s hit nine homers in his last 14 games, by the way.
  • Leftovers: Derek Jeter went 1-for-5 and for the first time since the first series of the season, he’s sporting a sub-.300 average (.299) … everyone in the starting lineup reached base at least once, though Russell Martin needed some help from a Kevin Youkilis error … Chavez is up to six homers on the year with a .348 wOBA, and I don’t think you could ask for more from a bench player … the Yankees went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and they squandered a bases loaded, no outs situation in the first when Cano bounced into a 1-2-3 double play … Ibanez stole a base (!) and had his tooth chipped by the bench when he tried to avoid a foul ball (he’ll be fine) … Rafael Soriano walked a batter in an otherwise flawless ninth inning, his 18th save in 19 chances.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the advanced stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees won for the 26th time in their last 35 games and with the Orioles losing to the Indians, they’re now six full games up in the AL East. That’s pretty cool. The Bombers are off to Tampa for a three-game set against the reeling Rays starting Monday night. It’ll be Matt Moore and Freddy Garcia in the opener.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Este15 says:

Loving me some Robbie at bats atm!

2. Drew says:

Another strong start for Hughes. I am really happy that the Yankees stuck with him through his struggles in April. Really looking forward to the rest of his starts, though he might not be the ace he was hyped up to be but hes just pitched awesome and that’s all he needs to be.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

He’s been a rock solid number 3 type starter for the Yankees over the last couple of months and considering he was on the verge of being permanently banished to the bullpen, I’ll gladly take this.

• Brian S. says:

He has, what, a 3 ERA since May? Just two bad starts really.

• DF says:

And that’s more like a rock solid #2 than a #3. If he continues this performance, he’ll make the Yankees look very smart for sticking with him.

• Deep Thoughts says:

The rotation isn’t a batting lineup. It’s not a set of different positions like in basketball. Arguing over whether someone is “a #2″ or “a #3″ is as lunkheaded as arguing over whether Joba is a 7th-inning guy or an 8th-inning guy. The ’95 Braves arguably had Hall of Famers in their rotation, but only one of them was a “#1″. See how this works?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

They don’t literally mean the order, just the type of production that comes with being a number two starter. There was a discussion of what it actually means since it’s vague. But the point was Hughes has been good, just short of acelike. Not where he’s penciled in the lineup.

• RetroRob says:

I believe he’s 8-2 with an approximate 3.30 ERA since the end of April.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Hughes has now pitched 20 more ML innings this year than all of last year, and peripheral-wise he is not in bad company:

AL K:BB Leaders
            —————————–
            1. Lewis (TEX) 7.500
            2. Peavy (CHW) 4.208
            3. Verlander (DET) 4.172
            4. Sale (CHW) 3.917
            5. Hughes (NYY) 3.857
            6. Haren (LAA) 3.696
            7. Weaver (LAA) 3.667
            8. Sabathia (NYY) 3.621
            9. Scherzer (DET) 3.563
            9. Hernandez (SEA) 3.563

3. Sjferrari says:

Went to the game today, Old Timers Festivities and all. Spent about 6 hours at the ballpark, and it was a great way to spend the day.

4. CP says:

The Yankees are now 19-6 in their last 25 games, and all of those games were against teams with winning records. It’s pretty amazing how they’ve been able to build up their lead in the division despite playing a lot of good teams.

• Mike Axisa says:

They haven’t played a team with a losing record in a month, since they went to Detroit. That’s 24 games ago. The next time they’ll play a team with a losing record (as of today) is the third series after the All-Star break.

• Kramerica Industries says:

And Oakland’s 38-42, so with a little hot spurt, even they could be over .500 by the time the Yankees go to Oakland.

Only Seattle is guaranteed to be sub-.500.

• Brian S. says:

Do we even have any easy stretches in the second half? Like two weeks of nothing but bad teams?

• CP says:

Not really. They have a west coast trip where they play the As and Mariners, which shouldn’t be too bad but those west coast trips can be trouble. Then they have the Blue Jays (home), A’s (home), Twins (away), and Blue Jays (away) at the end of the season – right before their final series against the Red Sox.

With every team in the AL East over .500, it’s hard to find any easy stretches.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

July 30 – Aug 12 which is 13 straight against the Orioles, Mariners, Tigers and Jays.

I expect the Orioles to have kinda faded by then, although the Tigers will probably be improved.

• Kramerica Industries says:

And the four Tigers games are at Comerica.

Yeah, they took two of three in May, but historically the Yankees don’t fare too well there, so that could be trouble.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Because what the past Yankees teams have done is more relevant to this iteration than what this team did in May?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

…..but they’re still not for real, someone here will say.

5. Knoxvillain says:

Is it safe to say that Hughes looks like he will end up being a pretty good starter the rest of the way? I say so.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

He’s certainly got youth on his side. I love how he’s totally scrapped that garbage cutter. I also like the two curveball approach. One that’s 12-6 and the other is more 11-5 and he throws that one a little harder at 77, 78mph. He’ll still need that third pitch though. Whether it’s the changeup or if he suddenly gets a better feel for that cutter.

6. Slu says:

I had given up on Phil Hughes starting pitcher. I am glad to have been wrong.

7. Cuso says:

Time to break the losing streak inside the Tropicana Toilet Bowl. Have we really lost 7 in a row there?

That seems crazy.

8. Erica says:

Wait, so were there any major highlights in the Old Timer’s Day game??

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yogi. The man is a living fucking museum, which is ironic since he also HAS A MUSEUM. He makes me almost tear up because every time I see him, I realize how lucky we are as fans to still see him alive and at the stadium.

The game was fun. Pat Kelly looked good. Sterling Hitchcock was left out there to die. Tanyon Sturtze played RF, probably because it was really far away from Joe Torre.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I feel so privileged to say that I actually MET Yogi Berra in…’09, I believe. We even exchanged words. He told me he didn’t sign bats, so I gave him a hat instead.

Okay, not exactly memorable banter, but I met him nonetheless. He wasn’t rude at least.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

My wife knows of someone at Montclair who had a young child who was a major Yankees fan. On his birthday, all the kid wanted was to meet Yogi. The mom didn’t know what to do, but would do anything for her child, so she actually knocked on Yogi’s door. She was terribly apologetic to his wife when suddenly, a voice emerged and asked “who is it? well let him in!” and Yogi let the child into his home and sat with him looking at pictures.

Yogi Berra is an absolute treasure.

• Erica says:

That’s a beautiful story. That child will NEVER forget meeting Yogi, ever.

• Rick says:

Not to be funny, but they probably already have. I met Lawrence Taylor when I was younger. Couldn’t tell you a single thing about it. Same for every other athlete I’ve ever met.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I remember, about ’85 or so, my dad and I were in a Popeye’s in Paramus when Harry Carson walks in. I was the first person to recognize him and, even as a kid, just knew that I should say “hi,” “thank you,” and let the man buy his chicken. Once I did that, though, he got mobbed and had to leave without buying chicken.

• Pat D says:

O’Neill cried “OUCH!” when he grounded out to first.

9. yooboo says:

Although 299 is still solid, it is really annoying to watch Jeter plummet from 370 to sub 300.

Worst parts on Jeter, he sucks at men at 3b any situation except base loaded and he has a landslide difference between home and away. Come on, Jeter.

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

I should write Phil Hughes a letter of apology every time he has a start like this. Even I had given up on him.

I wish Eric Chavez would stay healthy.

Another great win. I love this team.

• yooboo says:

Hughes never completes a full season as a starter so you ought to hold this apologetic thing until at least September.

I still like him as our next Yankees HOF closer.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I will hold onto it until I feel like it. He’s done nothing but improve all year. You never say never, but this is the most encouraged I’ve been by him as a member of the Yankees.

• CP says:

He was pretty good in the 8th today, but the 9th is a different thing all together.

11. DeWayne is DeDealin says:

CHAD QUALLS
    LORD FARQUAR
    ERIC CHAVEZ
    MASON WILLIAMS
    GARY SANCHEZ
    PHIL HUGHES
    CURTIS GRANDERSON
    A POT BELLIED PIG
    A DOLLAR

FOR

COAL HAMMMMELS

12. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I never TOTALLY gave up on Hughes, but I was starting to become skeptical. IF he can have a decent number three starter type of year it would really be a great story and an unbelievable turn around for this guy. I’m really rooting for him.

• YankeesJunkie says:

At the start of the season I thought he was done as a starter, but would still be effective in the pen. Ever since he has scraped the cutter it seems like his fastball has improved and sticking more to the curve as the second pitch. It would be nice to see him use the change more, but when the FB and CB are going as well as they while pound the zone he will give a homer here and there, but for the most part has been very effective.

• boogie down says:

Over his last 10 starts: 66 IP, 63 H, 14 BB (1.9 BB/9), 59 K (8.05 K/9), 24 ER (3.27 ERA), 4.21 K/BB. Also, he hasn’t given up a HR in his last two starts, both of which have come against fairly good offenses.

I’d say those numbers amount to more of a legitimate #2-type of starter than a decent #3. It does seem as though he’s figured something out, as he’s managing to limit walks, strike out a good percentage of batters, induce an increasingly noticeable amount of pop-ups, and, most importantly, put hitters away. Continued performance like this would really set us up nicely for the stretch run and postseason, assuming Kuroda continues to be rock-solid and Pettitte returns healthy and effective.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I don’t think he’s going to keep this level of performance up, though. Number three starters numbers are something I’d take in a heartbeat, no questions asked, and those are my expectations for Philthy Phil.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He certainly doesn’t have to keep up that performance, but continued consistency and health for Hughes would be a godsend. I really hope he took the lessons from the start of the season, is far removed from the overuse of 2010, and is leaving it all behind.

13. Rocky Road Redemption says:

In all seriousness guys, the Yankees have really kicked ass this year. I thought their pitching staff would be really good in Spring Training, but after the start the Yanks had I was thinking we might be decent once we got Pettitte back. Never expected to be this good.

Now Pettitte AND Mo are down and I still have total confidence in our pitching staff. Robbie is making a legitimate MVP run. We’ve been demolishing first place and over 500 teams. And now Hughes, a prospect that the entire blog has always had a soft spot for, may, just may, FINALLY be turning it around.

This year is awesome.

14. Kosmo says:

NY rebounded nicely vs. Chicago on the strength of their SP which was undependable earlier in the season.
    Hughes has been excellent, let´s hope he can continue gettin it done thru the final 3 months. Fingers are crossed. Cano after hitting into an easy DP came back for redemption later. Great Story.

15. MannyGeee says:

Thank You Phil Hughes. Thank you for meeting our lofty expectations of you (one start at a time, at least)… and thank you for making some of us skeptics wrong.