Aug

Chavez hopes to manage after playing days are over

Last night we learned that Derek Jeter has no interest in returning to the dugout as a manager once his playing career is over, but the feeling is not shared by his teammates. Dan Barbarisi wrote today about Eric Chavez, who admits to wanting to stay in baseball as a coach and eventually manager once he retires as a player. “One way or the other, I want to stay in the game,” he said. “In the last four years I’ve had to learn so much, that I feel there’s a lot I want to pass on.”

Chavez, 34, first got the itch to coach back with the Athletics in 2010, when he was injured and spent most of his time helping the club’s younger players. He’s begun was Barbarisi calls an “active study” this year, observing the coaching staff and studying the game from the dugout more intently than most players. Chavez has stayed healthy this summer and is having a monster season (132 wRC+) as a part-time player, but he admitted to considering retirement in each of the last two offseasons. Barbarisi’s one of the best and I think it’s safe to say Chavez is a fan favorite, so make sure you check it out.

Categories : Asides

1. MannyGeee says:

please god, dont let him trip on the dugout steps…

2. Tom Swift says:

That is not what “the feeling is not mutual” means. There is no mutuality in the situation.

3. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I think Chavez would be a really good manager, but the Yankee with the brightest baseball IQ is, without a doubt, Arod. I think Alex would be better in the FO though.

4. Darren says:

I made the comment in the Jeter manager thread, but in case you havent been to the Stadium recently, last week Didnt they did a little feature they played on the scoreboard between innings where all the Yankees give their opinion about which Yankee would make a good manager and Chavez was like, “Me. I really want to do it.” And he was totally serious and focused. Like he’s put a lot of though into it. A lot of players were naming Jeter or ARod and Martin.

Speaking of which, what’s Jorge been up to this year? Cleaning the gutters?

• Deep Thoughts says:

I’d bet quite a bit of motorboating.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Actually I’d bet that before New Year’s we will hear how he has been working out, has a personal trainer, feels better than ever, and is considering spring training tryouts.

5. Rich in NJ says:

I would think that given his injury history that Chavez would likely be very careful with pushing developing, young pitchers.

6. tommy cassella says:

let’s just hope that eric chavez becoming a manager is way down the line. for now we need his bat and his ability to play third base. he does have six gold gloves