Fan Confidence Poll: August 6th, 2012By
Record Last Week: 3-3 (33 RS, 25 RA)
Season Record: 63-44 (521 RS, 429 RA, 64-43 pythag. record), 6.5 games up in AL East
Opponents This Week: @ Tigers (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), @ Blue Jays (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week opened with three games against the Orioles, who took the opener in yet another one-run game. Ivan Nova got crushed in the second game, but the bats woke up to salvage the series in a blowout win on Wednesday.
- The Mariners came to town for three games following Thursday’s day off, and CC Sabathia spun a complete game in Friday’s win. Felix Hernandez completely dominated the Yankees in the middle game before the Bombers rebounded to take yesterday’s rubber match.
- Injury News: Brett Gardner (elbow) may be able to rejoin the team as a pinch-runner/defensive specialist in September. Andy Pettitte‘s (ankle) recent checkup went well. Mark Teixeira (wrist) received a cortisone shot for some inflammation and has since returned to the lineup. Eric Chavez (foot) is fine after feeling something in Friday’s game. Top prospect Mason Williams (labrum surgery) is out for the rest of the season after hurting himself while diving for a ball in the outfield.
- The Yankees acquired Casey McGehee and cash from the Pirates for Chad Qualls at the trade deadline. Joba Chamberlain (elbow, ankle) was activated off the DL to take Qualls’ spot in the bullpen. Ramiro Pena was designated for assignment to clear room on the roster for McGehee, but he has since cleared waivers and rejoined the Triple-A squad.
- The Phillies placed Cliff Lee on trade waivers but the Yankees did not place a claim. The Giants offered Nate Schierholtz for Eric Chavez before the deadline. The Yankees agreed to acquire Carlos Lee for $1M before he invoked his no-trade clause. Other players New York had interest in prior to the deadline include Ryan Dempster, Ty Wigginton, Chase Headley, Rafael Betancourt, and Brendan Ryan.
- Dewayne Wise was released after refusing his outright assignment to the minors. Jack Cust and outfielders Colin Curtis and Ray Kruml were released from Triple-A Empire State.
- Both Gary Sanchez and Williams cracked Kevin Goldstein’s midseason top 50 prospects list.
- Qualifying offers for free agents will fall in the $13.3-13.4M range after the season.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.