Aug

Feliciano close to appearing in minor league rehab games

Via Erik Boland, indications are that left-handed reliever Pedro Feliciano will begin a minor league rehab assignment this Friday with the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League Yankees. “He might become someone who’s available to us (this season) … We’ll have to see,” said Brian Cashman.

Feliciano, 35, had surgery to repair a torn capsule and rotator cuff in his shoulder last September. He’s yet to throw a meaningful pitch for the Yankees since signing a two-year, $8M contract prior to last season. Feliciano¬†started throwing full bullpen sessions in late-June and has been facing hitters in live batting practice sessions for the last few weeks according to Boland. Assuming he comes through the minor league rehab assignment well — a massive, huge, gigantic if — he’d be a nice add as the third lefty specialist when the rosters expand in September.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d have him move the heaviest equipment in the stadium, drive the team bus, and write “Pavano” a thousand times on a blackboard every day he’s not pitching.

2. Erica says:

I forgot all about him. :(

3. Kevin G. says:

2012 Marte!

4. yawn…I won’t believe he throws a pitch in pinstripes until I see it with my eyes. I said the same thing about Joba this season, so hopefully I’m proven wrong again. It seems like there has been news on everybody but Pineda btw…and I guess no news is good news, but at the same time wouldn’t the team want to report that he’s on/ahead of schedule just to say it? I mean they waste time with reporting things on a marginal guy like Filiciano…

• Jimmy James says:

Pineda’s been killing it on the treadmill and tearing up the pool.

What else do you need to hear since they last reported his recovery and has yet to start a throwing program?

5. Derek says:

Even if he didn’t return until September, wouldn’t he still be playoff eligible given that he’s been on the DL all this time?

Obviously this assumes that all goes well and that he actually pitches well. Rapada would also have to struggle.

6. RetroRob says:

The Mets once had a pitcher with the same name who I believe exploded into a pile of dust one day on the pitcher’s mound from extreme overuse.

Go the Rapada route. No more of these contracts for the LOOGY du jour.

7. jjyank says:

I’m secretely hoping for 2009 Marte, but not holding my breath.

8. blake says:

What would be awesome is if we had a guy on the DL that we forgot we had that could hit.

9. AC says:

Give him credit for trying to come back. I realize we didn’t get squat from him since we signed him. A lot of guys wouldnt have even tried this year. Aardsma as well. Still not giving up hope.

10. Mick taylor says:

We have a better chance of swing Jose feliciano pitching for the yanks. Then next year he’ll go to the red sox and pitch great