Aug

Giants tentatively scheduled to visit Yankee Stadium in 2013

Via Hank Schulman, the Giants are tentatively scheduled to visit Yankee Stadium during interleague play next season. It would only be San Francisco’s second trip to the Bronx in the last 50 years — the Bombers took two of three in 2002, but that series was all about Barry Bonds hitting a ball to the moon damn near the top of the upper deck in the Old Stadium. The Yankees lost two of three to the Giants out in California in 2007.

Last month we heard that the Yankees are tentatively scheduled to open next season at home with three games against the Red Sox, and that they were likely to face the NL West during interleague. This Giants stuff reinforces that and it’ll be neat given the club’s New York roots, but with all due respect to the 2010 World Champs, I’m still hoping we get to see Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw do their thing in Yankee Stadium next year.

Categories : Asides

1. The DonSlaught says:

Just in time for Melky to get fat again!

2. Steve (different one) says:

Was this an excuse to make Melky on topic? J/k

3. Eddard says:

One person we won’t see is Melky Cabrera. Melky cost himself millions and should get a lot more than a 50 game suspension for cheating the game. And let’s hope this puts a stop to the why don’t the Yankees sign Melky talk. We don’t want that cancer here.

4. Cris Pengiucci says:

This means the Yankees should also play the Rockies at Coors Field. They didn’t do well last time they were in CO. Hope they do better next season. I’ll be buying tickets for one or 2 of those games.

5. dam….I was hoping the Yanks were going to play the Giants (and D’Backs) over the course of a week, it would be perfect vacation trip.

In 2010 I did the 3 games vs Arizona, drove to Vegas for a night, and then drove to LA the next day for the 3 game set in LA, was a lot of fun.

6. The DonSlaught says:

Was at the Giants game last night. I can now say I have seen the last of “Fit Melky”

I was more enamored with the “Melk Maids” anyway.

7. Deep Thoughts says:

All-Star Game should be forfeited and the AL should get home-field this year.

Get it done, Bud.

• Steve (different one) says:

Heh. The AL probably needed to actually score a run before they could make a case that Melky cost them the game.

8. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

I was at the interleague game against the Diamondbacks the season after that World Series. The fans kept chanting ‘Put in Kim!’, which I found amusing.

Reminds me of the fan holding a sign that said “It takes more than 9 Yanks to beat our Johnson!” during the World Series.

Those were the days.

9. MBN says:

I am very disappointed in the Melky news. I always thought he was a good guy, but this does taint his reputation a bit. Makes the past couple of seasons seems very fraud-like.

10. Mike Myers says:

How long before people bring up that Melky was working out with Arod in Florida in the off season….

11. Deep Thoughts says:

Also, Granderson for Matt Cain.

Get it done, Cash.

12. tyrone sharpton says:

Can anyone say they’re shocked about the Melky news, especially in today’s world (Braun, Manny, A-Rod, etc)? Many with great numbers are gonna to be under suspicion…sad and cynical view, I know, but true. He was a great story though. Maybe New York can sign him for a cheap contract next year so that he can square off against the Giants in 2013 (must make this look like it’s acceptably on this thread)

• DM says:

Not me. PEDs and masking agents never left the game; they’re just more sophisticated (not in this particular case, however). I feel sorry for SF fans, but I guess it’s better to catch him now than after re-signing him to a big deal.

13. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Off topic but King Felix has a no hitter through 7 against the Rays.

14. Deep Thoughts says:

On a less silly note, clubhouse reax, courtesy of Lou DiPietro:

“I’m 100 percent surprised,” Cano told the assembled media. “I don’t know any details about it. You’ve seen the news. I feel sad (but) he’s my friend and I’m just going to be there for him.”

That “news” of course includes Cabrera’s admission of a mistake – and while the admission may seem hypocritical to some given Cabrera’s denial of a positive test to CSN Bay Area reporters a few weeks ago, it’s one that Alex Rodriguez praised the 28-year-old for making.

“I saw he made a statement. That’s always a good first step, and sometimes the hardest,” Rodriguez said. “I’m sure he’s sad and confused. He’s a young man and has a great opportunity – and challenge – to turn a negative into a positive.”

Rodriguez, who was also close with Cabrera and became even more so after they worked out together in Miami during prior to the 2011 season, also said he would stand behind his friend.

“I’m a believer, I’m a friend. And at times like this, I’m not going to turn my back, I’m 100 percent here to support him,” Rodriguez said.

15. RetroRob says:

Felix strikes out the side. Three outs away from a perfecto, which is kind of like throwing a shutout these days.

But, WTF. MLB-TV is at least two minutes behind the MLBN feed.

16. Steve (different one) says:

MLB is going to have a funny situation on their hands if Melky finishes as the NL batting champ…

• Get Phelps Up says:

He won’t have enough ABs.

• RI$P FTW says:

Does he have the minimum # of AB’s?

• RetroRob says:

I’m hoping that happens, just to watch all the nonsense that will go on around it. He’s only one PA short of qualfying, but the rules say they can recalculate the BA by adding in whatever he’s short.

Oddly, by suspending him, they might have increased the chances he’ll win the BA title.

My guess is the Commissioner will step in and make some ruling before the end of the season, most likely disqualfying him, if he’s allowed. Not sure he can, though, since I believe it would require Players’ Union agreement.

• Josh says:

he’s actually one AB short in pretty comical fashion. Tyler Kepner pointed that out a couple hrs ago

• Steve (different one) says:

Yes, but traditionally they have added hitless ABs to the total. Since he’s only one AB short, it won’t drag him down.

Could happen….

17. RetroRob says:

Another pefecto. Yawn.

But congrats to King Felix. Great game. Rays lose!

• RetroRob says:

…and the MLB.tv feed only just now caught up. Have no idea why they’d be so far behind.

• Josh says:

It just pisses me off when someone strikes out looking in that situation. C’mon man you got at least try to put the bat on the ball.

18. Donnie 23 says:

The ’13 Red Sox schedule that appeared on ESPN.com in July had a “home and home” series with the Rockies scheduled. There was also a report on MLB.com a few weeks ago that the Diamondbacks had a home and home series with the Rays in 2013 (he also reported AZ will play at Yankee Stadium next year in interleague).

So it’s safe to assume the Yankees will have a home and home series with some NL West team. Given the Rockies and Diamondbacks are scheduled to play someone else that leaves the Giants, Padres or Dodgers…

19. Ichy balls says:

Wow i was really hopeing you meant the New York Football Giants. Would be fantastic to see Eli and company lighting up YS3. Too bad.