Aug

Jeter on managing: “No chance. No chance. Nada. Zero. No, not a chance.”

Hoping to see Derek Jeter in the dugout managing the Yankees after his playing career is over? Don’t count on it. “No chance. No chance. Nada. Zero. No, not a chance,” said the Cap’n to Jeremy Lynn when asked about that very scenario, which isn’t all that surprising. Jeter never struck me as the coaching or managing type. I could see Jorge Posada or Mariano Rivera doing it, maybe even Andy Pettitte, but not Jeter. Just doesn’t seem like him and there’s nothing wrong with that at all.  (h/t HBT)

Categories : Asides

1. RetroRob says:

For someone who has made like a bajillion dollars playing and from endorsements, I can’t see him putting up with the at-times thankless grind of managing. If he was to remain involved in baseball, he strikes me more as a front-office type. He’s also mentioned his desire to own a team. If he’s thinking the Yankees, his best bet would be as a front man, minority investor type (similar to Nolan Ryan and Magic Johnson) for a group that wanted to buy the team from the Steinbrenners, if they ever opted to sell.

• forensic says:

At least anecdotally, it does seem like baseball ends up with more good/great players who still become good/great managers vs. the other major sports though. I could be totally wrong, but it does seem that way.

2. AndrewYF says:

I heard someone say this a while ago, but it always seemed that Jeter treated baseball like his job, whereas a guy like A-Rod treats it as his entire life. This is why you don’t see Jeter making stupid comments, or getting all that emotional. He’s detached. Whereas someone like A-Rod, whose entire life has always been based around the sport, can get too into it.

Just a thought. Jeter may well walk away from the sport entirely when he is done.

• Angelo says:

Really? A Hall of Fame player is “detached” from the sport he’s been playing his whole life. You know, the guy that wanted to be the shortstop for the New York Yankees when he was in middle school and high school?

You can’t be serious.

And when are people going to stop bashing A-Rod?

• forensic says:

And when are people going to stop bashing A-Rod?

Sadly, long after he’s retired and they’ve missed one of the couple greatest baseball players in our lifetimes, and arguably ever.

• AndrewYF says:

I wasn’t bashing A-Rod. Completely the opposite. I find it endearing that A-Rod lives and breathes baseball, for better or for worse. He’s going to be a guy who latches on to some team just to be around the game long after he retires. A-Rod is like a Reggie Jackson. Jeter’s more like a Mussina.

And detached is appropriate, I think. Jeter doesn’t watch baseball when he goes home. He has a completely separate set of interests outside his job. I wasn’t suggesting that Jeter mails it in because he doesn’t care. Obviously he’s one of the best who has ever played the game and he takes more pride in his work than most. It’s just that his personal life and his baseball life are pretty separate. Like, you know, detached from each other?

• hogsmog says:

Detached is good in some ways. The ability to shake off a golden sombrero, or for a pitcher to follow up a crappy start with a gem; it’s different from careless or passive. I think it takes something of that sort to perform at a high level in almost any area (imagine being a military general, commanding thousands of troops, who got bent out of shape every time he saw casualties on the battlefield- not someone I’d want to march into battle behind).

• RetroRob says:

I understand I think what AndrewYF is saying, but detached is not really the right word to describe Jeter. Just the opposite. He’s highly focused, yet quite aware of everything that is going on around him, but he’s able to shield it out when on the field. I also believes he loves playing the game intensely, which is why I don’t believe he’ll leave the game. He’ll remain invovled in some capacity.

• Dean Winters says:

Maybe detached is the wrong word. Jeter loves competing in the game because as you said it’s all he has ever wanted to do. But he isn’t obsessed with it like some players are. There are guys that are like fans in some sense and they get into every aspect of it. Jeter is not that type of guy. I think it was Kay who told a story of A-rod going to Jeter’s apartment to hang out a few yrs ago. Alex says hey what channel is your baseball package on?? Jeter says baseball package?? Alex replies you don’t have it…you don’t watch the games?? Jeter says no I don’t.

I like the fact that Alex is so into the game. It gives us a look beyond him just another athlete. Over the yrs he has been painted as a hollow person. Hell a new poll stated most players believe he is a phony. Him being a die hard fan of the game is cool.

• Kiko Jones says:

I always liked that anecdote. Maybe a few people would see A-Rod in a slightly different light if they heard it, too.

PS: I also thought it was cool when he said he wouldn’t wait to retire to wear his ’09 WS ring. “It took me a long time to get one”, or words to that effect.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

I remember hearing that story too and thought it cool, from both sides (ie Jeter’s ability to separate himself from the game once he was home, and A-Rod’s obvious obsession).

• Darren says:

I actually think it would be more fun to hang out with Arod than Jeter. Dont get me wrong, I love Jeter as a player, but ARod seems like he would just shoot the shit about baseball whil watching some random game and Jeter would be focused on some business endeavour.

it’s all good, let’s just hope they get another ring or 3 togtehr.

• Dean Winters says:

I actually think it would be more fun to hang out with Arod than Jeter.

——————–

More than one person has made that statement before. From what others have said A-rod is big on gathering the young players and hanging out with them even if it’s just shooting the breeze.

• Dean Winters says:

Yes maybe they would see him differently. It shows us that it’s not just stats and looking good that he is concerned. Alex seems like the type of guy that would be a scout if he never made it as a ball player.

• Radiokev says:

I don’t know, Jeter always struck me as totally dedicated to the sport. Maybe that’s just skewed by his not having a family or a wife, I don’t know. I think he wants to keep playing this game for as long as he can because his joy is in the playing.

He’s also said he’d like to go into ownership, which is much easier to vision.

3. Mike says:

Owner seems much more likely.

4. dan says:

LYNNSANITY

5. Rich in NJ says:

The Steinbrenners should offer to sell Jeter a piece of the team upon his retirement.

• crawdaddy says:

That would be the smart move and allow him to be the front man on public stuff that Hal doesn’t like to do.

• MannyGeee says:

yes… keep Hal, Hank, Levine & Reggie away from the cameras. The only people who should be in the public eye from the FO are Jeter, Cashman and Yogi (symbolicly)

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

I can’t entirely agree as Jeter in an interview is about as interesting as dry toast. I get that we want a certain amount of ‘boring’ in the ownership/upper management circle, but there’s a massive gulf between idiots like Hank S and someone as dry as Jeter.

6. FIPster Doofus says:

“I could see Jorge Posada or Mariano Rivera doing it”

Managers have to fight with umps occasionally. I can’t picture Rivera arguing with anyone. Posada? Definitely.

7. Like a College Campus says:

AndrewYF, you reminded me of an idea I had to add value to the last couple years of a huge contract.

A-Rod, player-manager.

I’m not entirely kidding.

8. Frigidevil says:

Trying to imagine Jeter screaming at an ump after a bad call…nope can’t see it.

9. Eddard says:

He’s just saying that but when he retires he’ll want to get back into the ballgame. I pictured Girardi taking Jeter under his wing as bench coach and eventually Jete becoming manager of the Yanks. Coaching staff-

Bench Coach- Jorgie
    Hitting Coach- A-Rod
    Pitching Coach- Andy
    Bullpen Coach – Mariano
    1st Base Coach – Bernie
    3rd Base Coach – Paul O’Neill

10. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

My mother-in-law literally has dreams at night in which Girardi is dragged kicking and screaming from his office in favor of new Yankee manager, Jorge Posada.

This is all pure bullshit, but I like my managers to have a bit more “nerves of steel” than I’d think Posada would have. This is why I’m not exactly a fan of things like Girardi yelling at hecklers, etc. You’re a pro. You see the big picture. Stick to it. Leave the overreacting to us little people.

Then again, life works in mysterious ways. I laughed out loud in ’96 when they hired Torre to replace Buck, then laughed harder when Girardi was one of his first deals. Look what happened since.

• Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

“Joe Girardi: The Gift of Laughter”.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

I think Girardi was a better field manager as a catcher than Jorgie and I think Jorgie gets too emotional. I think Girardi is a good manager and the FO thinks so too. It’s easy to live and die and second guess each thing he does but I think he’s good and that the players and coaches respect him and the fans like him.

And Jeter’s just too quiet. Not Phil Jackson zen quiet but “I don’t want to get into this…” quiet. Probably how he runs through relationships. I’m Derek Jeter, you ask no questions, and if you do ask questions, I give non-answers, you drop it, you get a gift basket. Thank you for playing.

11. CTRob says:

Coincidentally, there is a story in the wsj today about Eric Chavez managing after he calls it quits.

• Darren says:

Didnt read the article, but at the Stadium, they did a little feature where all the Yankees give their opinion about which Yankee would make a good manager and Chavez was like, “Me. I really want to do it.” And he was totally serious and focused. Like he’s paut a lot of though into it

12. UncleArgyle says:

That’s really too bad. I was honestly hoping Jeter would become a Player/Manager and continually place himself in the lineup, frequently to the detriment of the team, so he could chase the hits record. Call it “The Pete Rose school of record breaking”.

13. herby says:

Last few years I always saw Posada as a manager, never did see Jeter in that respect though…more as upper level or owner… Never really saw Alex as a manager, but I could see it.