Aug

Update: Nova placed on DL with rotator cuff inflammation

Thursday: Nova has been diagnosed with inflammation in his rotator cuff and has been placed on the 15-day DL. The treatment is just rest and medication, and he won’t pick up a baseball for at least five days. I expect the club to be very conservative given the Pineda stuff, so it wouldn’t be a total surprise if Nova has already pitched his last game of 2012.

Wednesday: Right-hander Ivan Nova is headed back to New York to be evaluated after complaining of tightness in his throwing shoulder last night. He felt something pull in the back of his shoulder while throwing a fastball to the final batter of the sixth inning. Joe Girardi said that Nova is expected to miss at least one start and is a candidate to be placed on the DL. David Phelps will remain in the rotation for the time being and CC Sabathia is due to come off the DL on Friday.

Obviously any kind of shoulder problem is a concern, especially with the Michael Pineda fiasco fresh in our memories. Nova has been extremely durable throughout his professional career, and the only other arm injury he’s dealt with is the forearm strain that forced him from Game Five of last year’s ALDS. As poorly as he’s pitched of late, Ivan is an important part of the club and the Yankees will surely be conservative.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. ultimate913 says:

Would never wish injury on anyone, but good god am I glad that he wont be pitching too soon again.

• Laz says:

It may be the reason why he is struggling, or more likely a reason to take him out of the rotation for the time being without saying he sucks.

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Hopefully he’ll pull a Jeter and be rejuvenated. I’m ok with Yanks pitchers hitting the DL for a bit here and there (as long as they make the playoffs). A lil’ rest for the homestretch. Maybe I’m nuts.

2. jjyank says:

I just hope that a (minor) injury problem is what made him suck. Hopefully some time off can get him back on track. He’s not going to help the team the way he is right now.

3. DM says:

B/c of the convenient timing, I’m hoping this is just one of those Hughes-esque conditions that are used to stop his slide and take a time out –i.e., demote him without actually demoting him. I’m sure they’ll find some tendinitis and inflammation at least — but most pitchers will show something in late August after not missing a start all season.

On a brighter note, Girardi elaborated a little more on CC’s elbow. He said the problem was actually above the elbow, not the joint or the ligament — more tricep than elbow.

4. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Makes sense to just DL him and leave Phelps in the rotation.
    Apparently, Joba would have to consent to be sent to the minors, so they may not be able to use him as the roster move for CC anyways. Just DL Nova.

5. Mick taylor says:

Well, maybe Minnesota would be willing to give us liriano for nothing.

6. Phantom DL stint FTW.

At least I hope that’s the case. Sucky as he has been I don’t want him to be hurt. I was hoping he could work out of the bullpen to get through his issues. Maybe some time off will help.

7. The Real Greg says:

If the Yanks want to keep Phelps to help the bullpen, I have a quick solution trade that could work.

Jeremy Guthrie

Since coming over to the Royals, he’s 2-3 with a 3.23 ERA. He has experience in the AL East. A big reason for his bad pitching earlier this year was the fact that he was pitching in Colorado. A 6.95 ERA at home this year and a 3.75 ERA on the road.

8. Peepee Hands says:

This move keeps Joba here and keeps Ivan the terrible from starting again for a couple of weeks (at least 2 starts). See you on the DL Nova!!

9. Karl Neufville says:

And Joba says ‘Thank You’!!!!

10. Anthony says:

And the plot thickens…

11. Hoss says:

Carlos Marmol has cleared trade waivers and has looked good of late. If the Cubs don’t want too much, and given the state of the Yankees’ pen, wouldn’t mind some Marmol-aid…

12. jake says:

Nova will eventually get tommy john surgery. It’s in his mechanics. When his landing foot lands, his elbow is below his shoulder. Every pitcher ive ever analyzed who did the same thing ended up getting tjs

13. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’m a truly horrible person because I’m honestly no too upset about this.

14. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

On the other hand, Wally Matthews thought it was cover for them wanting to fix mechanical shit on the side.

15. DM says:

Not surprising. I’d hate to see what Kuroda’s shoulder shows this time of year.

16. Eddard says:

The best thing for Nova and the club would be to shut him down for the rest of the season. He wasn’t helping and you just don’t want to mess with those shoulder issues. We’ve got Phil as our #4 and Phelps as our extra reliever. We already have two long men for the postseason, Lowe and Garcia so Nova isn’t needed.

17. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Provided Andy comes back and CC still goes strong, I’m all for shelving him the rest of the way. There’s three options for #4 starter.

Holy fuck. I agree with Eddard too. Goodbye, cruel world.

18. Frank says:

Marc Carig tweeted about 45 minutes ago Betances also placed on DL with shoulder soreness. Not good.

19. Cuso says:

Well….now we’re just one Pettitte setback from seeing Lowe in the rotation.

:O

DOOOOOM

20. Cuso says:

Son: “Daddy? Why is there always so much kaka in the rotation?”

Father: “I don’t know, son. I don’t know.”

21. Brian S. says:

See you in 2013 Nova. 5th starter with upside.

22. Greg says:

So right now the rotation is CC, Kuroda, Hughes and random parts. Would not be surprised to see Cashman make another minimal move.

23. Rocky Road Redemption says:

No, seriously, I may be going to Hell, because it’s very hard for me to dig up any feelings of disappointment whatsoever.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

I’m going to assume you don’t want the guy’s career to end due to shoulder issues, despite your current state of ambivalence.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

No, I don’t, but having his season end doesn’t make me particularly upset.

I’m a bad person.

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Was the it the “I’m the best pitcher in the world” comments?

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Was it when he kicked Jerry Lawler in the head because he wouldn’t agree to call him the best pitcher in the world?

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Oh, I’m not upset about it either. If this is what he needs, this is what he needs. Other than the one start where he seemed to put it all together, his performance really wasn’t helping anyone right now.

As long as he’s back healthy and ready to work on what’s right, he can get all the time he needs to get better right now.

24. Formerly the Blogger known as OLDMANALEX says:

Josh beckett on waivers?

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

If he is, it might actually might be worth it as a depth move. As much of a bastard as he is as a depth move it might make sense.

• RetroRob says:

There are some good chicken and beer joints in the Bronx.

Problem is he’s showing reduced velocity all year, with his fastball averaging only around 91.5. That’s down a couple miles from last year, which is significant. Add in he’s owed nearly 16M a year through 2014, which will greatly reduce the Yankees flexbility. I won’t even bring up how painful he is to watch pitching with his his 20 minutes between pitches. Well I guess I just did. Pass.

25. Nathan says:

If I could go back in time just a few months ago when the Yankees signed Andy back and I said to myself “We have too many pitchers”, I would…just to tell myself “Oh just wait!”.

26. RetroRob says:

I wonder if it’s even a real injury. It might give them an excuse to skip a start while he works on the side without having to announce he’s been removed from the rotation, even if it’s temporary.

If it is real, then be conservative as possible.

27. pistol pete says:

Seems likely that Nova’s been sore for a while now. He was 8 and 2 and has fallen apart since then. He’s lost command of his fastball and bite on his slider. I’d shut him down, he’s still a very young talented pitcher under team control for a few more years and extremely cheap. If CC’s not good on Friday the season is likely over. Entering into September with a 2 1/2 game lead with no CC Andy or Nova and being left with only Kuroda Hughes Freddy and Phelps just isn’t going to get it done. Fingers crossed for CC Friday it couldn’t be more important.