Aug

Robertson will be uniform tonight following birth of his son

Via Mark Feinsand, setup man David Robertson and his wife became the parents of a baby boy earlier today. Believe it or not, David will actually be in uniform for tonight’s game, which is kinda nuts. Take a day, man. You just became a dad. No idea if he’s actually available to pitch, but he’ll be with the team anyway. Congrats to the Robertsons.

Categories : Asides

1. tipsie says:

This dude just became my favorite Yankee…

2. RetroRob says:

Way to go, D-Rob! : -)

3. CUYanks says:

How could you not love this guy? 6th all-time in assists, and now this?

4. Ben says:

I had a baby girl at night and was at my 10am meeting the next morning after preparing my reports during the night.

not impressed.

5. Leg-End says:

Congrats D-Rob, dedication to the cause.

6. KeithK says:

I wish ballplayers would exercise better family planning and restrict conception to February through June!

Hats off to D-Rob.

7. Eddard the Magnificent says:

It’s like I said yesterday, there is no such thing as paternity leave in the middle of a pennant race. I knew he’d be available. It’s good to see ballplayers who care about baseball as much as this.

• Kevin G. says:

*sigh*

• Bob Buttons the Cat says:

Hope your boss ain’t an idiot like you and would grant you a paternity leave so you can be beside your wife when your wife is screaming her head off from the pain of child birth.

If you can find a wife, that is.

Pennant race is this year but he’d have his kid for the rest of his/the kid’s life.

• Kiko Jones says:

And, because he was born in late August the kid won’t have Dad around on his b-day for the next 10 years minimum. So, D-Rob should’ve taken the day off.

8. Jonathan says:

Congrats to the Robertsons! Maybe in 20 years we’ll have a short kid striking out 13 K/9 again.

9. Cbean says:

Tiny High Socks! Yay!

10. Stevis says:

what nonsense…take the day off….he will plenty of days off if we don’t start playing better ball
    day off…give me a break….and he makes a pretty nice dollar playing a game…nuff said

11. Cuso says:

Damn.

I thought it would take him longer than a few hours to figure out I’m the baby-daddy.

It was supposed to be our secret, Erin

12. Nice Scheister says:

I just celebrated the birth of my third son on Thursday and any excuse to get off work, I’m salary and get paid the same regardless what I work. I’m not taking paternity leave or anything but the first week IMO is very important. Plus that “excuse” is something you cannot get back, every moment spent around a new baby is priceless. Congrats to D-Rob and his wife, here’s to a healthy baby!

13. thenamestsam says:

Given that he has probably either been awake or on a plane since the moment he left Cleveland, and that he got 4 outs yesterday I would be pretty shocked if Joe used him tonight. Seems to me he probably should have just stayed with his family tonight and flown back tomorrow. But I have to say that as a Yankees fan I am impressed by his dedication.

14. Defensive Indifference says:

“No idea if he’s actually available to pitch, but he’ll be with the team anyway.” Hope you are not talking about the baby–unless he’s a left, of course.

15. Guest says:

I’ve found that, with some exceptions, there are two kinds of reactions for dude sports fans re: the birth of a player’s child:

1. Reactions from those who have never had a kid, and
    2. Reactions from those who have had a kid/really want a kid in the near future.

Not shockingly, those who’ve had kids get it when a guy decides to take time off. Those who haven’t had a kid…tend to disagree with the player’s decision to take time off.

Well, I had my first kid earlier this year. And I can say, unequivocally, it is the most amazing thing possible on the face of this earth. I mean nothing else comes close. Your team winning, doing well at school/work, even falling in love are all awesome; but you can wrap your head around them. They’re understandable.

By contrast, having a kid is not only incredible, but it is also mind blowing. I found it impossible to wrap my head around the shere craziness of the fact that I helped create human life. And there she is, staring back me…I mean, it’s insane! I wanted to bask in that fact as long as I could. I was lucky enough to get three weeks of paternity leave and it still felt way too short…

I cannot imagine flying to play in a regular season baseball game the night my first child was born. Can’t do it. I wish D-Rob made another choice. At least take one day. He’ll never get this time back.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

My stance is to not judge after he was actually there for the birth. You never get that back.

Kid will be about 8 weeks in November. D-Rob will be done with the season just in time for a screaming two month-old. :)

16. Monterowasnotdinero says:

Mariano Robertson.

Strange name.

17. Dale Mohorcic says:

His wife is quite attractive. Will be a good looking kid, too.

18. Stitch Jones says:

I’m at the game right now. Robertson’s pitching as I type this. Congrats!

19. Stitch Jones says:

I’m at the game right now. Robertson is pitching as I type this. Congrats!