Aug

Saturday Night Open Thread

(Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Four, four wins in a row. Ah ah ah. The Yankees are starting to climb their way out of that funk from the last few week, but the happiness over this afternoon’s win was quickly snuffed out by the news of CC Sabathia‘s elbow-induced DL stint. Thank goodness for big leads in the division, eh?

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The Mets are playing the Braves (Santana vs. Medlen) and MLB Network will air a game as well. Who you see depends on where you live.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Karl Krawfid says:

We got Derek Lowe!!!!

Yeah!~

2. Brian S. says:

I want to see a Lowe v. Cook matchup in the Boston series.

3. jjyank says:

Signing Lowe was a good move. Phelps will get the start, Lowe will be the long man. Can’t hurt, he’s practically free. Depth never hurts.

I wonder how many pitches Phelps is good for though.

4. Rey22 says:

So basically Phelps takes over for CC, Joba takes over Phelps’ pitch 1 or 2 innings when the Yankees are close (hopefully he keeps improving the further he gets from TJ surgery), and Lowe takes over for Joba’s we need innings let’s just finish this game/mop up duty.

Not a disastrous setup for 2 or 3 weeks, I think they’ll live (assuming CC encounters no further problems. If he does, all bets are off and it’s time to panic thinking ahead to the playoffs.)

5. The Real Greg says:

I hate that everybody, including the fans on here, think this is the death knell of this team.

ITS 2 FUCKING WEEKS!

Not even because of the retroactive DL.

• jjyank says:

I don’t think that anyone thinks that. Well maybe a few people. Most of us are just concerned, especially how seemingly minor injuries have turned major this year. If CC is only out for the minimum 15 days, the Yankees can weather the storm. If it’s more than that, I am very much concerned. I will reserve my optimism on CC until he is reactivated from the DL. The team has no reason not to downplay the injury, so I can’t put much stock into it all.

For now, the Yanks will be fine. But let’s wait and see how CC progresses before we make judgements either way.

• The Real Greg says:

The facts that:

A: He was able to pitch 6 1/3 innings against Detroit with this ailment tells me that he felt it was no problem.

B: That there was no pain involved, just a minor stiffness further lessens the harshness of injury.

• jjyank says:

Don’t get me wrong, Greg, I do think you’re probably right. But considering how seemingly innocent injuries have gone thus far (Pineda, Gardner), I don’t want to be too optimistic. I am neutral about it all.

• RI$P FTW says:

He’s not the brightest guy in the world. He was injured earlier this year and did the same thing – didn’t say anything until after the game. It’s stupidity. They weren’t playoff games.

6. The Real Greg says:

Wonder if the Sox regret trading Brent Lillibridge?

7. jjyank says:

Wow. I could only force myself to read through half of the Derek Lowe thread. The fits people can have over such low cost, low risk moves is amazing.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I’m being turned off by the boards in general as of late. Love the writers stuff and am still reading daily, but yikes, i’m much happier when I don’t get frustrated by idiocy.

/elitist’d, but for real.

• jjyank says:

It’s all about establishing allies. The last few game threads have been very enjoyable. Even when they’re not though, if you have a few posters that you’re RAB friends with, it’s easier.

For what it’s worth, Jim, I enjoy your posts.

8. The DonSlaught says:

I just thought we would have Ichiro pitch.

9. CUYanks says:

Salvador Perez doing Yeoman’s work.