Aug

Wednesday Night Open Thread

(Mike Stobe/Getty Images)

I’ve said this a bunch of times through the years but it’s still true: off days always feel better coming off a win. The Yankees wrecked the Orioles on Wednesday afternoon, ending the four-game losing streak and temporarily halting this little stretch of crummy play. Joba Chamberlain also pitched today (not well), and it was good to see him back out there. I like that Joe Girardi used him for more than one inning too, gotta get him back into the swing of things.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The Tigers and Red Sox will be on ESPN at 7pm ET (Porcello vs. Cook) and the Mets are out in San Francisco to play the Giants a little later on (Niese vs. Cain). Talk about those games or anything else your heart desires right here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. YanksFanInBeantown says:

Has anyone seen where Williams, Austin, Sanchez et al rank on KG’s midseason prospect list?

2. Rocky Road Redemption says:

In other news, the writer of this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/o.....tches.html

…is an idiot because of this line:

But temptation should have been taken out of the players’ grasp. What they did was wrong. It was ugly. It was completely against the Olympic ideal.

But it wasn’t cheating. The only cheating that took place was from the organizers, who shortchanged the public and did their sport a disservice.

Um, yeah, throwing games intentionally IS cheating.

While the tournament format IS heavily flawed that doesn’t mean that throwing games intentionally isn’t cheating. If it’s against the rules to do something and you do it, you’ve cheated.

There was a rule against throwing games. They broke the rule. So they cheated. If they HADN’T cheated there would have been no grounds to disqualify them.

Logic fail.

3. pablospenileimplant says:

So where was this upper 90′s velocity we’ve been hearing about. I just dont get how he could throw 98 in the low A then get to the bigs and is only topping out at 92.

• Tony says:

Agreed! Was that just hype? Joba looked like the same old low 90s guy who doesn’t really have good enough stuff or command to succeed at that speed. Still, he’ll be much better than Chad Qualls.

• RetroRob says:

Unless independent scouts were part of some hype, it means nothing. After all, if it was something orchestrated by the Yankees, all it did was serve to dissapoint.

Pitchers coming back from TJS fluctute quite a bit. He was off by a good five mph today.

• BK2ATL says:

I noticed that too. I think he got to 93 once. Plus A LOT of sliders. Wonder if anyone asked about this after the game.

• TomH says:

Either the radar guns were AA too–although someone on the game thread said scouts’ guns were registering high numbers also–or perhaps Joba just had the willies. O’Neill thought he might have been skittish about the wet mound. Also plausible.

I prefer not to think about other reasons until he’s pitched some more.

• BK2ATL says:

I could see that. But over an inning plus???

To only approach 93 once. That’s a complete 4-5 mph off what we were told he was hitting within the past week. And he looked very hittable.

Not saying anything’s wrong with Joba or anything. Just maybe AA guns strike again. Or maybe just too much hype. Who knows?

I’d just like to hear Girardi or maybe even Joba address that.

• Nice Scheister says:

A difference of 4-5 miles per hour in GA could be the difference between a super speeders fine or normal ticket. In the bigs that’s the difference between a foul ball and a swinging strike. Big difference.

• BK2ATL says:

If you really think a 4-5 mph difference is only a foul ball or swinging strike in MLB….there’s a lot more to be said on that and MANY pitchers who currently wish they still had that extra 4-5 mph.

Either way, let’s just hope he’s shaking out the rust. But then, what does that say about the mph readings given for other pitchers that are being stated in our minors system?

And super speeder fines are for idiots who don’t know how to control their cars and manage to the speed limits.

• RI$P FTW says:

Also, everyone says YES’s guns are 3 or 4 mph high, which means he was really throwing 88.
      10 mph drop in velo! A-don’t-cha-know!

• Deep Thoughts says:

I was definitely hoping he would pull a Pineda and throw it as hard as he could in a 10-run game to satisfy all the V-lo masturbaters in the media. The lengths you people will go to in order to find something to bitch about astounds me.

4. Kramerica Industries says:

The Rays are really pissing me off right now.

Seems like, once every year, there’s supposed to be a wrecking ball roadtrip that could kill them entirely, and instead they step up and end up being massively successful.

Their past nine games? At Baltimore, Anaheim, and scorching Oakland.

The end result? 2/3 against all three teams.

Hopefully they remember they are a terrible home team, and that catches up to them. David Price, James Shields, and Matt Moore dominating, I can understand. Hellickson and Cobb? Both of them suck. And they STILL don’t have Longoria back, either.

• William says:

Rays are going home before October.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

Hellickson really doesn’t suck.

This is the second straight year that he’s handily outperformed his FIP and he was a consensus top 10 prospect coming into last year.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Maybe so. But from what I’ve seen of them (and I’ve seen him plenty), I don’t get the “Matt Cain 2.0″ vibe that his results/peripherals discrepancy would indicate. His stuff cannot make up for his command if he isn’t spot on. Alas, it seems like he often is. I’ve just never been impressed with him.

(insert some media/local jackal using him as an example of “pitcher, not thrower” ideology that makes me want to punch brick walls.)

5. MannyGeee says:

First impressions of Casey McGehee?

Handled Britton pretty well, played well defensively, took the extra bag when it was there… Not a bad return for a soon-to-be DFAd reliever… And oh yeah, the pirates sent cash with him. Well done, Cash.

• BK2ATL says:

I think, like Ichiro, he was brought here primarily for defense (corner IF) and to relieve the burden on the older guys (Chavez). He only cost us Chad Qualls (chuckles) AND we got cash back too. Whatever he provides offensively is just icing on the cake.

I’m not expecting much more than a solid defender with occasional offensive contribution. I’m cool with that. But Teix and A-Rod better come back refreshed and ready for the stretch run, hitting on fire.

6. Kramerica Industries says:

There is no way I can watch this Red Sox game on ESPN.

The fawning factor is even worse than it was on Sunday night, amazingly enough.

7. Matt Montero says:

Anyone know why Google Chrome warns that Minorleagueball.com is a malicious every time I try to go to it?

• Mike Axisa says:

No idea but I was having the same problem earlier. Haven’t gone back since.

• Matt Montero says:

Alright just wondering if it was just me because I got a new laptop a week ago and haven’t really gone on it that much since.

• RetroRob says:

Oddly, Norton’s warmed me that RiverAveBlues was suspicious, and blocked my initial attempt to connect one day last week. I decided to risk it and continue on to the site! Every once in a while, even safe sites will generate a warning based on scripts.

Yet sounds like Minorleagueball.com is consistently give you a warning? I just went in through Chrome and IE, and got not warning from either browser, or Norton’s, which rates it safe. Don’t know.

• Matt Montero says:

I tried it on IE and it’s working fine so I guess it’s just something funky with chrome. For someone reason it’s laggy on IE though, idk why. But thanks for the help bro.

8. Nice Scheister says:

I must say Cashman has done a good job with his one year signing and stop gaps. Jones, Ibanez, Nix, Wise, Cust, Bryanan, Ichrio and the newly added chubby white guy. Not all of those guys have made the team but each has served a purpose in one way or another, some more than others. All good “flyer” signings.

9. Bartolo's Colon says:

I’m in line to see the clock at Lincoln center. I hope I get in before 10 when it closes. Did anyone see any of it? I heard its awesome. Nice win by the way, I think I finally get to see cc this Friday.

• Jacob says:

Yea it was a grea game caught the first 7 1/3 innings bats looked great and phil allowed too many hits but got the outs when he needed to. Also liked what I saw from the Casey McGehee had some very productive PA’s and ran the bases nice, great return for the Yanks considering they traded qualls

10. Drew says:

Wins are indicative of a players ability yada yada yada but Hughes leading the staff in W’s….anybody see that one coming?

He still has a little way to go before everyone can say hes a reliable MLB starter but I love the maturity he is showing.

• RetroRob says:

For the first time in a while, I am comfortable when he takes the mound and expect a solid game from him. Part of it is I’ve downgraded my expectations on him to be a front-end starter, but he’s also doing his job to show he can be a solid #4 and maybe even a #3 eventually. Command is the one thing preventing him from moving to the next level.

11. Tom says:

Wow, just put on ESPN to see Cabrera and Prince hit two bombs off Aaron Cook.

Cabrera’s shot was just ridiculous – an absolute rocket over the monster. Prince’s shot was more of a just a majestic fly to dead center.

Shocking to think that Aaron Cook’s ERA would regress while striking out ~1 batter per 9IP. His ERA went from the low 3′s to over 5 in a hurry.

12. Monterowasnotdinero says:

It’s been awhile since I saw a pic of Joba’s delivery/mechanics.

Still painful to look at.

13. Kevin says:

Red Sox are starting to rally back…two on with one out.

14. Brian S. says:

Fuck Phil Coke. At least he got out of it.

15. MannyGeee says:

OK seriously. They are gonna give Pedro Ciriaco the keys to the fucking city soon. Everytime I flip by ESPN or NESN, the son of a bitch is getting a hit with RISP… He is about 3 weeks away from being elected alderman.

16. Steve (different one) says:

Yu Darvish has an era of 4.39?? I guess I hadn’t been paying attention that closely.

• Mike Axisa says:

He looks awful tonight. Six walks in five innings, Angels are 7-for-7 in stolen base attempts.

• Mike Axisa says:

And none of them by Trout.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Amazing to think that a poor walk rate is starting to catch up to him, now that the book is out on him.

Imagine the carnage this would be if the Yankees had inked him. Even more-so if Darvish meant no Kuroda, which it almost certainly would’ve.

• Brian S. says:

So is Hamilton really slumping because he stopped chewing tobacco?

• Tom says:

I think it’s his blue eyes… oh wait that was his excuse for day games… (can’t believe ESPN actually talked that up last year or the year before)

• MannyGeee says:

Because there has never been a blue eyed player in the league…. This in a league that only has about 40 years of true integration.

Great times

• RetroRob says:

A few trips through the league and hitters are making adjustments. He needs to do the same, otherwise he’ll become the Rangers’ version of Dice-K.

Hmmm, $100M for Darvish, while letting CJ Wilson walk to their division rival for about $25M less. Wilson’s ERA+’s 166, 134, 150 and 131 the past four years. Be interesting to see if Darvish has even one season eclipsing even the lowest number. I think he will, but the transition is probably not going as smoothly as hoped.

• Anthony says:

Wow, crazy. I remember when he completely manhandled the Yanks a few months back.

17. MannyGeee says:

Fuck, Andrew Miller is good. 3 pitches just made $200M look stupid.

18. Brian S. says:

I’m starting to think the Angels are going to win the AL West.

• RetroRob says:

I’ve come to dislike both teams, so really not sure who I want to win.

• RetroRob says:

Actually, I’d rather the Rangers win. Let the Angels have to face David Price, or Justin Verlander, or whomever in a one-game playoff.

The Yankees have handled the Rangers quite well overall outside of the 2010 postseason.

19. Kramerica Industries says:

Tigers love to shit the bed at Fenway.

They’re probably gonna lose tonight, and finish 1-6 at Fenway this season. Against a team that’s only 27-28 there all season. Criminy.

20. Kevin says:

Boston is now down by a run. Ugh..you know ESPN is going to say the Yankee victories gave them new life.

21. Kevin says:

Texas was going to run away with the AL West..then their pitching staff decided to all get hurt at once.

22. Brian S. says:

Phil Coke really needs to go kill himself. They need to put in their good relievers.

23. Kramerica Industries says:

Cody Ross flips his bat on pop-ups.

You know, I like Cody Ross. I remember watching him regularly when he was with the Florida Marlins. And if I want to continue to like Cody Ross, he needs to get the hell out of Boston. Preferably, without any playoff accolades or rewards.

24. Brian S. says:

How long do you guys think the Yankees were privy to the 189 threshold thing coming up? Probably not last offseason due to the Cliff Lee offer. But you have to think they knew something about the CBA rules before it was being written.

25. Nick says:

So Yankees have made a bunch of cuts at Triple A. Will that be on DOTF?

26. Eirias says:

A bit old, but this made me laugh. A Red Sox GCL centerfielder has had 39 at bats, with no hits and 37 strikeouts. Magnificent.

27. Kramerica Industries says:

Oh the “problems” of having too good a fantasy team.

Swisher and Carlos Santana stuck on my bench today, and both of them did well. Too bad Jonathan Lucroy (who I stole on waivers) didn’t get back until Santana finally got his head out of his ass, and started hitting this year.

28. Kevin says:

Boston did their best but they lost. TIme for them to go on another losing streak.