Sep

Fan Confidence Poll: September 17th, 2012

Record Last Week: 4-2 (25 RS, 21 RA)
Season Record: 83-63 (704 RS, 607 RA, 84-62 pythag. record), 1.0 game up in AL East
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Blue Jays (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Athletics (three games, Fri. to Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Better off Eddard says:

We’re at a 9 and the only reason we’re not at a 10 is CC Sabathia. Girardi has finally wised up and realized that Eduardo Nunez is the spark plug to the offense. A-Rod has provided great stability in the middle of the order. Phelps is back in the pen to help middle relief. Andy will be back tomorrow. The team needs Teixera back and CC back on track and then it will be firing on all cylinders for the first time in months.

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

Still at 7. Seeing some healthy faces who are, thus far, coming back strong is a very good thing for the stretch run. Team is about to enter a stretch of games which could serve to pad the lead while still in first place. Where will this wind up? I have no clue,. but my short-term confidence is certainly higher than it was about a week or so ago, when it was it its lowest it’d been all season.

Everything long-term stays the same. We know where the holes are. I have confidence in this organization’s front office to act prudently, and to not repeat many mistakes. I also believe the overall management of the team will remain the same, no matter where this goes, next season.

3. Jose M. Vazquez says:

Seven because doubts persist about CC, Kuroda appears tiring, the right hand platoon leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I do not waver that we will win the East. Beyond that it’s a coin toss.

4. Kosmo says:

Hey Girardi give Melky Mesa a start canĀ“t be any worse than the Andruw.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There actually is another rock layer below Jones. It may be hard to see, but it’s there, and Melky 2.0 may just reach it. I agree with Axisa’s take on this.

That being said, I am curious as to what the kid could do. Let’s at least figure out a way to get him in there in the late innings. He’d also be the first guy from the Cyclones/SI game I went to a few years ago to actually get an at-bat for the team.

• Deep Thoughts says:

No way Melky gets in between the foul lines unless the score is crazy lopsided one way or the other. He’s here for a congratulatory ride-along.

• Ted Nelson says:

To me Jones is most likely a slumping MLB hitter who could pull out of it. To me Mesa is most likely a AA hitter who can’t hit MLB P. In any given game the difference might not be apparent, but over a large enough sample I believe it will be. I suppose your take is that Jones might be done and Mesa MLB ready?

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Possibly but Jones could also be an over the hill vet who has completely lost it and should retire too and even if Mesa is a AA hitter who can’t hit major league hitting, he could get hot for 2-3 weeks until the scouting report on him gets around.

Mesa should also be far better in the field and on the bases so I wouldn’t have a problem with giving him a chance.

5. Betty Lizard says:

7. Who knows what Pettitte will be able to do . . . Tex still out . . . CC/Kuroda pitching not “great” . . . Blah blah blah fishcakes. No doubt I’ll get my perennial beginning of the season wish (the Yankees in “a” playoff game, but this year it really could be *one* game. Strangely, calmly confident about the future though.

6. jjyank says:

I feel like I say the same thing every week in these threads. I’m still pretty confident. Holes we may have, but still just as good a chance as anyone else if we hit October.

7. Robert says:

Great Minor league only rookie called up is Melky Mesa…..

8. Joe says:

I’ll say 8. We’ve been looking a lot better lately and it has to do with solid pitching combined with Alex in the lineup.

9. William says:

I still say 6. This team is awful against LHP, the other teams know this and they are sending LHP’s 2 out of 3 times in the series. Also, time for Tex to take a lesson from El Capitan and start playing. If he is able to go to the ballpark and attend the games, he is able to at least grab a bat and hit and help his team. What is he waiting for?

10. Joe says:

2013 we get a home opener for a change? Nice!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Agreed. Opening on the road never has that zing to it.

• Ro says:

Yeah and like 1996 it will probably snow and be 5 inches on the ground. Wouldn’t happen any other way. I’ve always been an advocate of the Yanks starting the season in Tampa, or even Texas would make sense next year. With the expanded interleague, you’d think they could have started off playing the D-Backs for example. Something to that extent.

• Ro says:

….and I just realized that they go to Detroit and Cleveland right after. What genius makes these schedules up? There should be an emphasis on having the first few weeks of baseball played in the southern states, which more in the north towards the end of the schedule, but of course, it’s the exact opposite. What do I know…

11. Joe says:

Test? Why aren’t my replies showing up?

12. Ro says:

Agreed Andrew Jones is looking toasted both at the plate and in the field. Hey, we got 1.5 years of very good and cheap production. Can’t fault Cashman or anyone else for that. There was strong logic in having Jones on the team and it worked for the most part, but the 2nd half has been downright brutal watching him.

It’s also rather amazing that many of the Yankee losses recently are coming on the days that CC pitches. I do not think he is still hurt. I do however believe that he is nursing or just being very careful/cautious with his elbow, which is throwing off his location in a big way. I hope he gets it together these last few starts. I’m confident he will. He’s a gamer and I don’t want to hear from any fan that he sucks, he’s #2 right now and so on. The dude has been money since the day he signed. Been competitive and just an all around solid guy for the team. I think we all need to cut the guy some slack and just let him work through it. Even Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee had their ups and downs. Jared Weaver and even Verlander and Felix went on small streaks where their stuff wasn’t sharp. No one saying “they’re hurt, they’re done” but you look on ESPN and “there are real problems with CC” articles all over the place. Please..

• Robinson Tilapia says:

CC’s “for CC” mediocre year has definitely caught me by surprise. I really look forward to seeing how he comes back in 2013, but it really just means that 2-5 have to be that much stronger in the stretch run. He strikes me as stoic enough to want to work through some discomfort but, if that’s the case, it’s not helping him or the team.

Great pitchers also have bad years. It doesn’t mean that it’s a straight line downward from here on out.

Agreed on Jones. I was fine with bringing him back, and he’s going to get some at-bats based on track record the rest of the way, but it’s not going to surprise me to see the team looking elsewhere next year.

• Ro says:

Yep. Agreed. I’m just a little frustrated by all the negative CC articles, which is an obvious jab at the Yanks by these publications. It’s a bummer to see him struggle, but it’s nothing more than a blip in my opinion. I wouldn’t rate his year as bad. I’m more in the camp of inconsistent.

• Ted Nelson says:

The line between done and slumping for a guy getting such infrequent playing time is pretty thin. Remember when Jeter was “done” a couple of years ago? And he played everyday.

13. Deep Thoughts says:

Dang Mariners – They’re starting Noesi against the Orioles. Why not just forfeit the game and go to dinner early.

Jose M. Vasquez had it right up top. We’ll get in, but after that it’s a coin toss.

• gc says:

That’s how life is in the playoffs in baseball. The Phillies were a lock for the World Series last year. Superior pitching. Then they actually played the games. Shit happens in these short series. IT IS A CRAPSHOOT.

14. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I don’t know who’s crazier, the people who voted a 10 or the people who voted a 1 or 2. Probably equal.

I hope I’m wrong but I see this team sliding back to being around an 85-86 win fringe playoff contender over the next few years until the next bumper crop of prospects hopefully hits town in 2015.

• YanksFan says:

Based on a Keith Law article? You’re sold on Tampa and Baltimore continuing their winning ways but not the Yanks?

Tampa is losing Upton and replacing his w/ who?

Baltimore has been outscored this year and are still 18 games over .500. You think that will continue?

It’s not just what the NYY will look like but what will their competition looks like and the national writers NEVER look at the NYY competitors the way they look at the NYY. Further, there is FA and trades and Cash has never shied away from improving the team that way.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Baltimore is a much different team since June.

They’re still playing above their heads, but they aren’t reverting to their 64 win form next year. They’re more like a .500 team at this point.

15. Erik B Eddard says:

Well I’m at a 6 at the moment, doesn’t mean I’m pessimistic…hopefully they can play better.