Record Last Week: 2-4 (22 RS, 34 RA)
Season Record: 76-57 (637 RS, 550 RA, 76-57 pythag. record), 2.0 games up in AL East
Opponents This Week: @ Rays (three games, Mon. to Weds.), @. Orioles (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The last place Blue Jays came to town to open the week, and Rafael Soriano blew the save in Monday’s extra-innings loss. Phil Hughes stepped up to give his team a win the next day, but the Yankees didn’t do enough of anything on Wednesday and lost the rubber game.
- Following Thursday’s off-day, the Yankees welcomed the Orioles tot he Bronx for the biggest series of the season (to date). Baltimore won Friday’s game convincingly, prompting Joe Girardi to call a team meeting afterwards. The Bombers made a late comeback to even the series the next day, but lost again in the rubber game on Sunday.
- Injury News: Alex Rodriguez (hand) played in a pair of minor league rehab games and seems likely to rejoin the team today. Mark Teixeira (calf) suffered a Grade I strain and is going to miss at least 1-2 weeks. Andy Pettitte (leg) threw a pair of bullpen sessions and could soon begin an “accelerated” rehab program. Ivan Nova (shoulder) threw his first bullpen since being placed on the DL. Curtis Granderson (hamstring) is day-to-day with mild tendinitis. David Aardsma (elbow, hip) made his first rehab appearance since his late-June setback.
- In an effort to improve the offense against lefties, the Yankees re-acquired Steve Pearce from the Astros for cash. Brandon Laird was designated for assignment to clear room on the 40-man roster and was claimed by the Astros. Casey McGehee was optioned all the way down to Low-A Charleston to make room on the 25-man roster.
- Among the first wave of September call-ups were Cory Wade, Adam Warren, Justin Thomas, Chris Dickerson, Eduardo Nunez, and Frankie Cervelli. Ramiro Pena was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man for Dickerson.
- The Dodgers inquired about the availability of both CC Sabathia and Teixeira, but were told that neither is available.
- The Yankees will remain with WCBS 880 next season and they also extended their player development contract with the Trenton Thunder through 2022.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)