Sep

Game 134: The Return of A-Rod

(Ronald Martinez/Getty)

The Yankees are scuffling in the worst way right now, but they’re getting a bit of a boost this afternoon as Alex Rodriguez returns to the lineup after 36 games on the DL with a broken bone in his hand. They went 18-18 in those 36 games, though obviously there’s a lot more contributing to that than A-Rod being out of the lineup. The Bombers have scored just 45 runs in their last 14 games (3.2 per game), so every little bit helps. Getting even a rusty Alex back into the cleanup spot adds some much needed depth and left/right balance to the lineup. Here’s the starting nine…

SS Derek Jeter
1B Nick Swisher
2B Robinson Cano
DH Alex Rodriguez
3B Eric Chavez
LF Raul Ibanez
Russell Martin
RF Ichiro Suzuki
CF Chris Dickerson

LHP CC Sabathia

For those of you who care about such things, Brian Cashman is here in Tampa with the team and so am I. Hooray original reporting. Anyway, happy Labor Day everyone. This afternoon’s game starts a little after 1pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Luisergi says:

Please win for me, stuck at the office!!!
    A-Rod goes deep today, i’m calling it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Did you hear that, team? WIN IT FOR LUISERGI!

• Pat D says:

Working on Labor Day? Ugh. I remember my first year at Notre Dame having to go to class on Labor Day. I thought it was extremely unfair to the professors.

• TomH says:

Do the Irish have any serious BCS hopes this year? How I’d like to see them get a NC in the same year the Yankees get a WS ring. I don’t think it’s happened since 1977.

• Pat D says:

They have an absolutely brutal schedule.

Purdue, at Michigan State, Michigan, Miami (I believe that game is being played in Chicago), Stanford, BYU, at Oklahoma, Pitt, at BC, Wake Forest, at USC.

I would think they should beat Purdue, Pitt, BC, Wake and probably Miami, but those other games are going to be really tough.

I’m so accustomed to them being a disappointment, I really don’t expect them to be BCS contenders. I’m thinking 8 wins at most.

• upstate yank says:

Yea it must be tough to come in on labor day after having the summer off…

• jjyank says:

I feel ya man. I’m off today (all week, actually), but I worked on Labor Day last year. Shit sucks. Hope they win it for ya (and all of us).

2. Pat D says:

If ARod doesn’t go deep in his first AB, DFA his ass!

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t know if I have the stomach for game threads right now. I may successfully reach through the computer screen and strangle someone who mocks the Yanks’ misfortune right now, Scanners-style. The key to September is self-preservation.

Besides, it’s Labor Day. Get out there and grill something and, by “something,” I mean Big Game James.

BTW, whoever “Julius” is who is showing up on my FB plugin on this page? That’s quite the head of hair, buddy. You should sing lead with that hair. Much better looking than Havok two pics away.

• jjyank says:

I’m probably only one of a few people who got a chuckle out of that last sentence.

For the record, I have started to back away from the game threads as they have gotten uglier as well. I still watch the game, but some of the comments get out of hand when they are losing. Yesterday I mentioned something about a “potential” Yankee collapse, and I got a response from someone who said that they already collapsed and mocked my use of the word “potential”. Like the season was over and the Yankees already missed the playoffs. Which is funny, because if the season ended today, the Yankees would still win the division. Oh well.

Baseball is my hobby, and I will enjoy watching it even if the Yankees play poorly over an extended stretch. Even if that means abandoning the painful game threads of late.

• My favorite is when people argue that injuries shouldn’t be talked about as a reason for the collapse, then complain that guys like Ibanez, Chavez, Pearce, and Jones are getting regular time.

• Pat D says:

Clearly those guys are being played because they’re the best players on the team.

• jjyank says:

True that. The whole “team of platoons” crap is getting very old. This team was drawn up to have ONE platoon at a time, and that would either be at LF or DH, depending on which vets needed rest. Injuries are really the only reason it’s gotten out of hand.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I apologize if I ever seem over-the-top (I’m sure I do at times). I guess my logic comes back to a very basic idea – I don’t know you, you don’t know me, and I really don’t care what anyone thinks of me. This place, kinda, becomes a venting ground.

And when the Yankees are playing shitty baseball, I don’t think anyone is all that pleased around here. May today be the start of a turn around that doesn’t end until the end of October. This year’s unpredictable AL does still breed an air of optimism.

• jjyank says:

That’s a fair take on it. And for the record, I’ve never really had a problem with your comments. Negativity itself doesn’t bother me (I’m not Greg, after all), just irrationality. It’s perfectly rational to be concerned with the team and their chances. I just happen to be an optimist.

• Pat D says:

Greg went from being super negative to loathing all things negative. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more dramatic change in someone.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t know Greg, but my gut feeling is that he uses this site for a very different purpose than just bullshitting. I don’t like seeing that.

• Pat D says:

The whole internet is a venting ground like that.

Well, not so much a venting ground as a place where people love the anonymity because they think it means they can say anything they want and get away with it. Which they can. What it really means, of course, is that it just reveals how everyone is basically an asshole. Some people add on things like racist, sexist, bigot, etc., to being an asshole.

• This is why, regardless of where I am (internet or IRL) I try to act exactly the same. I mean, I am an asshole, I will admit that. I laugh at racist and sexist, and Hellen Keller jokes, and I have no problem admitting that anywhere but a board room.

• Pat D says:

I don’t consider myself an asshole. I don’t find most racist or sexist jokes funny. I generally don’t post things on internet sites. Every time I do, other than here, I find that I get extremely angry. Happens on Yahoo, ESPN, IMDB, Ain’t It Cool News. There are some really ugly people out there.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What about Helen Keller jokes, though? I mean…C’MON!

• See, generally those people are just being racist/sexist not making stupid, immature jokes. That’s why I generally avoid them. (ESPN and Yahoo comments) I never really ‘hung out’ on IMDB I just check it for stuff so I never noticed they were bad there.

• Pat D says:

Well, I’m not so sure about IMDB anymore because it’s been ages since I’ve posted anything. I think they’re policed a lot better than those other sites.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Like most things with me, I’m an enigma.

Such as, I have no problem being a total asshole about things, but I’m always trying to be wary enough that I don’t actually risk offending the masses. As such, I’m not so much a fan of using racist jokes myself – I just resort to some serious deadpan sarcasm. Often times, layering it on thicker and thicker and thicker.

The more annoyed I am, the drier it gets.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There’s “venting,” and there’s the bullshit you see here. This “fuck this team” type shit that borders on gloating is just stupid.

• Jamey says:

It’s amazing how many fans are just spitting ticked that the Yankees aren’t dominating the AL East with all of the players injured, and that isn’t limited strictly to players on the shelf. It sucks but what can they do? It’d be awesome to have a Mike Trout, Bryce Harper or Shelby Miller waiting in AAA to balance things out but it’s just not the case. No impact bats or arms are coming Cashman’s way over the waiver wire unless George’s ghost takes over Hal’s body & he decides taking someone’s financial burden on is a good idea.

I get annoyed at things that would bother me even if they were playing .900 ball since July, like Hughes giving Mark Reynolds the only ball he CAN hit twice in the same game & Girardi-things, but life is too short to be miserable that a team forced to have Steve Pearce bat cleanup isn’t playing well.

4. Kramerica Industries says:

You’re in Tampa St. Pete, Mike?

Well, too bad I didn’t spring for tickets today.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’m here all three days.

• Mike Axisa says:

All three games, I should say.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Yeah, but this was probably the only day I could go for tickets. For most this season, I haven’t been able to get home and watch Yankee games ’till about 7:30-7:40, and that’s probably the case tomorrow and Wednesday s well.

And I’m not buying tickets to start watching a game in the 3rd or 4th inning. I may be a scam artist with Tropicana Field tickets, but I could never get full value for a partial game.

5. Oh god, the ford commercial with the shitty Train song is a tv commercial too? I thought it was only a radio one.

6. EDDARD says:

CC has to win this against a division rival like Verlander did last night. That’s what aces are supposed to do.

7. First game I’ve gotten to watch since their last west coast trip and Lou’s in the booth. Fuck.

8. Kramerica Industries says:

Lovely.

I hope it’s not another one of those “line drive outs > line drive hits” games.

9. Anthony says:

I don’t know why, but I can’t help but feel like A-Rod was rushed back up. It just seemed like he’d take longer to heal.

• jjyank says:

Very possible. I think it’s fair to say they would have taken things slower if the team wasn’t struggling. I hope that this is incorrect, though.

• Anthony says:

Yeah, I’d wager the recent struggling played a big part in Alex coming up today. Its easy to harp on A-Rod for “unclutchness” during the season when everyone is healthy. But clearly the Yanks miss him if he is up today. Hopefully he can help, lets just hope for no setbacks.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Playoff crunch time. You play.

10. TomH says:

Cano does take his good old time going down the line, as if God has whispered there will be no error on this play.

11. stuart a says:

cano with another 1 pitch ab. he is such a hack it is unbelievable.

he sucks…

12. stuart a says:

cc gave away the blue jay game. cc is not verlander sorry to say…

13. Cuso says:

SunSports caused me to throw up in my mouth three times in just a half-inning.

(sigh) It’s gonna be a long day on Rays TV

• YankeeDave says:

You could mute the TV and listen to John and Suzyn on the radio, not great either, but may decrease vomit by about 20%.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Hah.

I know Sweet Lou is nothing fun to listen to, and he’ll always be on YES when the Yankees come to Tampa because he lives here, but I’ll take a YES booth of Kay, Piniella, and fricken Flaherty before I voluntarily choose the Rays booth over them.

Dewayne Staats passive-aggressive style irritates me to no end.

• Hall and Nokes says:

MLBN has the Yankee feed, if you can take advantage of that.

14. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Step up please CC

15. Pat D says:

Has Casey McGehee been recalled yet?

16. Rocky Road Redemption says:

With the talk about optimism/pessimism up there, I’ll give my take. I’m a cynic. This means I’ll bitch about the team and act disappointed and depressed but in actuality all this means is that I believe they could do better.

As an example, let’s use politics (no parties/controversial issues mentioned). The pessimist just believes that the economy won’t turn around. The optimist believes they will. The cynic complains because he knows it CAN improve, but only if everybody gets their act together.

So, I’m going to complain when they lose and bitch and moan, but only because I believe we CAN win. Make sense?

• Pat D says:

I hear ya. I find I’m pretty cynical. I actually enjoy being a cynic, too, because I generally don’t like people, and it’s fun to expect nothing but bad things from people.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

It’s more like I look at humanity as a whole and I’m pissed at them, but only because I think humanity CAN be better than they currently are. Cynics yell and complain because they want everybody to WAKE UP.

• Pat D says:

I’m with you on that. Unfortunately I don’t think humanity will wake up until a true disaster takes place. Like nuclear World War 3 or something.

• WHIPunk says:

World War 3 won’t matter, did World War 1 or 2 solve anything? No, humans will be humans and fuck everything up yet again.

• jjyank says:

That’s a fair take. My comment above about all that was really more in regards to the trolls that show up in the 6th inning when the team is losing, and proceed to make the game thread from there on out insufferable thanks to posting the same one-line crap over and over and over again. Stuart a is a good example of the type of stuff I’m talking about. I don’t mind commenters like you at all. Everyone has a different take on how things will/could play out. It’s irrationality that bothers me, not cynicism.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Of course it makes sense.

And I’m going to support and openly cheer on the team even though I’m pretty cynical about the next month. What’s the worst that could happen? I’m wrong? I’m wrong every day.

17. Kempire Strikes Back says:

CC can’t afford another clunker. C’mon big guy, earn that extension.

18. Nathan says:

Come on Yankees…we need our ace to get a much needed win today!

19. A-Rod’s already failed, he’s not going to hit a grandslam in his first AB.

20. Nathan says:

It’s funny how when A-Rod went down with the injury, I was lamenting how average he’s been offensively and on a slide yet here he is today and I’m actually excited he’s back.

That’s how bad and desperate the offense is right now.

21. JonS says:

Not even warning track power. lol

22. EDDARD says:

Don’t bring Sweet Lou back, please. Give those games to Coney or Leiter.

23. Cy Pettitte says:

we got lucky Russell only made one out

24. EDDARD says:

I would go with Cervelli tomorrow. Martin is a liability.

25. Kramerica Industries says:

There’s a wasted opportunity.

26. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Ichiro “I refuse to walk” Suzuki

27. EDDARD says:

Another liability is Ichiro. When Granderson returns I’d go with Dickerson.

28. stuart a says:

shocking a RISP fail. never happens on this team of clutch operators…..

29. Cy Pettitte says:

probably should of kept Wise

30. Kempire Strikes Back says:

I wonder if all the revenue the Yankees are getting from Ichiro merchandise is worth his subpar play on the field.

31. Mike N says:

What’s with all the Lou hate??? LOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. herby says:

Those cowbells from the lamest fan base in the country are just pathetic…I think they’re just trying to get lucky. Maybe we can give them Russell…he does look a bit bovine…

33. Kramerica Industries says:

Story of Jeff Keppinger’s season.

34. Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s my favorite time of stretches where nothing is going right: dinky dunk single time.

• Luisergi says:

I know. I think, though, that i get angrier reading about it (here, gameday), than watching them on TV.

It is just so fucking annoying. Tampa and their damn midgets dunking granades and running all over the place.

35. Kramerica Industries says:

Wow.

Another inning of Sabathia getting victimized on chicken-shit hits. Not this again.

36. jjyank says:

I hate when potentially rallies start that way. So freaking annoying.

37. Pat D says:

Pastanotdivingjeter.

38. EDDARD says:

CC’s really pitching like an ace today. 3 hits already. Find a way to get out of this.

39. The Real Widget says:

At least Sean Rodriguez isn’t out there to be intentionally walked.

40. Mike N says:

That dude’s neck tattoo is fucking disturbing.

41. He’s got a giant tattoo on his neck. I love ink, and have a few tattoos myself, but I dont understand how you get a tattoo on your hand, neck, or face. At some point you might need to get a real job, and you’d be surprised how quickly the job market shrinks if you have a face/neck tat.

42. Nathan says:

I don’t remember the Yankees having to deal with so many injuries in one season before.

I mean I hate that the Yankees are fielding a crap lineup and are in a tailspin but I have to believe that the injuries are to blame.

- Mo out for the year (bad but not terrible, Sori has stepped up)
    - Gardner out for the year, which forces the Jones/Ibanez to play more than expected…both are flaming out.
    - Pineda out for the year (Freddy into the rotation, my Sunday arch-nemesis)
    - Various injuries to ARod, Tex, Granderson, Swish.

And random thought: If Jose Molina were still on the Yankees, does he start over Russell?

43. jjyank says:

Alight peeps, some family is here for Labor Day celebrations. I’ll be in and out from here on, so don’t take offense if I don’t respond to something.

44. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

fucking weak ass hits

45. Kramerica Industries says:

And some MORE chicken shit bloop stuff.

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

46. Nathan says:

Going to be one of those games I think.

47. EDDARD says:

This is our ace, folks. A .200 hitting catcher gets an RBI.

48. Ron says:

If we didn’t have bad luck we wouldn’t have any luck.

49. The Real Widget says:

blooped and bleeped to death. what a joke. Still though, CC should be striking out some of these bums.

50. JonS says:

I wonder what it feels like to be a Tiger fan when Verlander pitches….sigh

51. Kramerica Industries says:

Brilliant play by Chavez.

52. The Real Widget says:

Man I hate the Rays. Go win me something clowns.

53. stuart a says:

cc giving up a hit to ben francisco and gimenz. the guy is not a dominating starter… say all you want that is the bottom line…

on the injury front cry me a river alreadsy… mo is 40 + expecting him to never get injured is a joke……this team has age everywhere and old guys get hurt more then younger guys…..

the yank big bats are no longer big that is the bottom line..cano, tex, arod, grandy. etc… nice players, scare no one…..

this offense should dominate not even close……….

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

do you have to frequently replace your keyboard because you wear out the “.” key………

• Anthony says:

stuart….as much as I find your posts amusing…do you actually like ANYTHING about the Yanks? Why even root for them?? Or are you just a masochist?

• stuart a says:

i am a yankee fan for a long long time. this team is not likeable. almsot no overachievers and many underachievers. I of course like Jeter and I think Granderson is a great guy. I like robertson and others also. I just live in the real world, this team is overrated and the supposed stars are not stars. You new favorite to harp about is Cano who ha done crap the whole season and is not a team player. He does not take pitches, and never changes his approach…..he is in love with the homer like the rest of the crew. get on the back leg and whale, the yankee way..

cc coming up small again…great…..who comes up big on this team? name anyone? Jeter a little over 300 with RISP is near miraculous…..

• Anthony says:

Lol alrighty. A rare view into the world of stuart a. I’ll agree that when Cano is cold, his ABs are pretty horrible. But he did just get a double!

54. Mike N says:

The Jose Molina story I love best is when he came back to Yankee Stadium after leaving (at least I think it was a home game) and came up to the plate with a man on first. Kay (or maybe someone else in the booth: Cone?) was all like, “Jose Molina is a double-play waiting to happen”. First pitch, he jacked the motherfucker! Hahahahahah.

55. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Great play by Chavez. I might have had a conniption if that had found a hole.

56. Hall and Nokes says:

Apparently in this game you’re better off barely making contact.

57. TomH says:

Those last two weren’t so dinkily hit.

58. Cy Pettitte says:

“Andruw Jones can hit a HR against lefties”

I’d like to see him prove that again at some point.

59. 15 Day DL says:

Going through the motions again today….really hard to watch

60. The Real Widget says:

nice job of really making Shields work.

61. …those cowbells are the most annoying thing in the history of sports. I’d rather constant waves.

62. 15 Day DL says:

Somebody tell Girardi not to hold any more team meetings…this team is in a downward spiral.

63. JLC 776 says:

A fanbase that requires cowbells to make noise because they can’t get more than 20,000 to show up at their shitty stadium is pathetic.

64. Anthony says:

Frustratingly weak contact..

65. The Troll says:

That inning went by quickly . . .

66. Roadgeek Adam says:

So, no-hit after 3, again. (3rd time in last 4 games). We have a 50-50 record right now in those. Hopefully tonight it becomes 66.6-33.3

67. oldmanalex says:

i think brian cashman needs to go into the locker room after this probable loss (way Shields is pitching) and rip everyone a new one. I don’t see the point of having a team meeting once we are down a few games.

68. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

fuck you CC

69. Cy Pettitte says:

great job CC.

70. Kramerica Industries says:

You gotta be fucking kidding me, C.C.

71. EDDARD says:

That’s our ace

72. Kempire Strikes Back says:

#Not an Ace

#Not Justin Verlander

#Fat

73. TomH says:

Something’s the matter with CC. He’s too young for such a sudden falling off. They’ve really got to press him on the shape of that elbow.

74. The Real Widget says:

Yeah they are getting swept by the Rays. The shitgrounds of Tropicana are their new Anaheim.

CC coming up soft again in a must win game.

75. Roadgeek Adam says:

I have an idea. Can we go 2 innings without forecasting utter doom? Yes, we’re frustrated. But the fact that we have a ton of people bringing the entire talk down is causing everyone else to want to avoid these threads. Simple as that.

You don’t need to think positive. You don’t need to think negative either. Naturally you can question. Just please try to be somewhat respectable.

(Yes I was writing this before Upton hit the home run. Still only 2-0.)

• Pat D says:

Utter doom is a fun concept.

• TomH says:

It’s not the mere 2-0 that’s unsettling. It’s the recurrent shakiness of Sabathia, coupled with the comatose offense. Sure, in principle, they can win this game and this race, but every day of this makes that probability less likely.

76. Kramerica Industries says:

I think that’s the sixth hit C.C. has allowed.

In 2.1 IP.

Stellar.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Two of them were broken bat bloopers. The homer was bad obviously, but 2 K’s and 0 BB’s in 3 innings is good otherwise.

77. The Real Widget says:

Should have traded him to the Dodgers.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

While CC isn’t good in this game, the front office’s lack to get any real pitching stability makes CC a must stay.

The only way is to throw money at it and with this lowered budget that probably won’t happen.

• The Real Widget says:

It was more in tongue and cheek, but the lack of pitching stability is a massive problem and this budget thing is going to suck.

78. Anthony says:

I’m not flipping at CC yet, because 2-0 is still a manageable ball game (even with our offense right now), but…assuming we make it to the playoffs…. does CC start Game 1? Or Kuroda?

79. Kempire Strikes Back says:

2 runs isn’t insurmountable even for this inept lineup.

80. TomH says:

Is it possible simply to subscribe to the MLB tv games (alleged to be in hd quality), then plug ‘em in via laptop to an hd tv without losing quality of picture? I can’t stand the thought of another year of having to endure 50% the other team’s broadcasting team.

81. Pat D says:

Graig Nettles, me thinks.

82. The Troll says:

Uh oh. Leadoff double. Bad news for Yankee fans.

83. So apart from Upton’s homer and Longoria’s following single, how many hits have been actual hard hits?

84. Kempire Strikes Back says:

That what I like to see from Robbie.

Now c’mon A-Rod, do your best Ike Dais impression.

85. Marcy says:

Look, the Yankees may come back and win this game but they have not just a problem but problems. And CC is 1 of them. He’s here for – I don’t know how much longer but a long time. I have a lot of feelings that I won’t express because I don’t want the negative feedback but I do believe they can win this game.

86. Kramerica Industries says:

Little bloop help for the Yankees.

I guess that’s nice.

87. Lol, interesting hit/baserunning there.

88. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Glad Cano is aware of where the defense was playing…smh

89. The Real Widget says:

I’ll take the bloop. hahahaha.

90. jjyank says:

I’ll take it. Do what you can, A-Rod.

91. mt says:

Is Cano’s brain in this game?

92. EDDARD says:

Robbie Cano isn’t only lazy, he’s stupid as well.

93. Kramerica Industries says:

At least they won’t get shut out.

Was hoping that would get over Jennings’ head.

94. Cy Pettitte says:

Eric Chavez for hitting coach (eventually). he is so good at using the whole field.

95. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

A-Rod gets a hit with RISP, doesn’t score a run. He sucks because he didn’t get the RBI.

96. Pat D says:

And ARod’s chase to 3000 will not get nearly as much love as Jeter’s.

97. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Raul!!!!!

98. Kramerica Industries says:

Big hit Raul!

99. Cy Pettitte says:

oh man if Francisco caught that I would have turned off my TV.

100. Roadgeek Adam says:

RBI TRIPLE IBANEZ. :D

101. Mike N says:

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

102. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Yeah, Ibanez! You go, girl!

103. jjyank says:

Thank you, Voldemort.

104. EDDARD says:

Alex Rodriguez is single handidly trying to will this team to a W.

105. The Real Widget says:

Thank you Francisco for being terrible.

This next inning is huge for CC. They need a shutdown inning.

106. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

Ibanez has really killed the Rays this year. Am I the only one that has noticed that?

107. Anthony says:

RAUUUUUUUUL

108. Kramerica Industries says:

Russell Martin needs to step up here and get this run in.

109. Roadgeek Adam says:

VOOT!

110. Cy Pettitte says:

finally some luck goes our way

111. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Raul w/ the baserunning!!!

112. Nathan says:

That’s the first time I’ve seen a slide into first work.

It always brings back memories of Kenny Lofton dislocating his shoulder.

113. Kramerica Industries says:

Yankees get both benefits.

Sweet. Get some more, and buckle down C.C.

114. Kempire Strikes Back says:

HEADS UP BASEBALL! BABIP SUCCESS! CONFIDENCE LEVEL SURGING!

115. EDDARD says:

Martin finally did something. An infield single.

116. Pat D says:

I can’t decide if that head first slide was good in that situation or not.

• jjyank says:

Me either. I’m usually against it, but I don’t think he’s safe otherwise in that situation.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

You think he got there faster by diving? I thought that slows you down. I think the only reason to dive there is to avoid a horrible collision at first.

• jjyank says:

It usually does, which (aside from injury potential) is why I’m usually against it. But in rare situations, I think it might be possible to get the hand in there after a forceful lunge before the foot would.

Granted I am not basing this on anything, I could be wrong. My initial reaction, thought, was that Martin might have been out without the dive.

• Pat D says:

Those were my thoughts.

117. Anthony says:

LIFE HAS BEEN RESTORED!!!!

118. Cy Pettitte says:

Happ imploding in Toronto. yuck.

119. Chilango (en la chinga chamba) says:

I’n not streaming the game but is CC injured? Two shitty starts since he came back.

120. AndrewYF says:

Funny thing is if the first baseman didn’t slide either he would probably have beaten Martin to the bag.

121. Kramerica Industries says:

Two K’s for Ichiro today.

Still wondering where the contact-machine Ichiro is.

122. Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Good job by Ichiro to get the runner over.

123. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Isn’t Ichiro supposed to be a contact hitter? Boy does he look like toast.

124. EDDARD says:

I think Freddy Garcia could blow Ichiro away.

125. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

We need the Cock to work his magic.

126. Roadgeek Adam says:

Tampa Bay seems to have a thing for frozen arms and not trying. Not sure I get why.

127. Marcy says:

Does anyone else think that the book on the Yanks this year is that they all strike out on that high fastball? I know Mitch William said it’s the hardest pitch to layoff of but the Yankees are really struggling in that area.

128. Kramerica Industries says:

Are you kidding me with those last two strike calls?

129. What the fuck? that 3-2 to C-Dick was like a foot of the plate.

130. The Real Widget says:

CC come on man. Shut them down.

131. Cy Pettitte says:

were both of those pitches strikes? looked like balls 4 and 5.

132. Frank says:

Yanks better score more than 3 because the guy masquerading as an ace will not hold this lead.

133. EDDARD says:

What are the chances CC gives us 7 strong, keeps them at two runs and hands the lead over the Robertson and Soriano? An ace could do it but I’m not so sure that CC can.

134. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Ball 2 and strikes 2 and 3 that AB were all in the same place. All were outside.

135. The Troll says:

Isn’t CC the one who’s been unable to strike back with the shutdown inning?

136. TomH says:

An Ace who’s HEALTHY will not let them score here.

137. Hummingbird S. says:

C-Dick got royally screwed there. Those pitches were not strikes.

138. Karl Krawfid says:

CC just doesn’t have a great change up this year.

139. Effthisnoise says:

Dear CC please shut down .240 .214 .245

140. Kramerica Industries says:

I see Sun Sports trivia is as passive-aggressive as their lead Rays voice.

“Last AL team to be in first place on Labor Day that did NOT win their division”.

The Yankees are playing the Rays. The Rays won the division by one game in 2010.

The answer smacks me in the fricken face. Assholes. I’m glad they enjoy touting that division title when all it did was enable them to get upset by the Rangers in the first round, losing all three home games in that series. Congratutions.

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Why so angry?

• Kramerica Industries says:

The Rays in general annoy me.

The irony is, if I ever try to get a job inside baseball, the Rays are my only option, at this point in time.

I can’t wait for the NFL to begin, because things are much better for me when there’s an equilibrium of my two favorite sports.

141. Off to a BBQ. Hopefully CC holds the Rays and the Offense mashes Shields the rest of the way

142. Cy Pettitte says:

just couldn’t have the 1-2-3 inning against the bottom of their line up, huh?

143. Marcy says:

Ok, really – what’s wrong w/CC?

144. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Fuck this umpire

145. Roadgeek Adam says:

Tichenor’s K-Zone is driving me nuts.

146. Luisergi says:

HAH i just heard for the first time; YCPB by Sterling!!!

147. The Troll says:

Baltimore’s going to sweep Toronto aren’t they?

148. Cy Pettitte says:

Joe Saunders with a perfect game through 5 against the Jays. wtf?

149. Mike N says:

Lou saw some horseshoe crabs and they were scary.

150. The Troll says:

Is it me or is Jeter being Old Jeter again?

151. Cy Pettitte says:

TB has the best giveaways, they had Zim bear and DJ Kitty bobble heads this year.

152. Marcy says:

Those high fastballs -

153. The Real Greg says:

Jeter and Swisher have now gone cold

154. Roadgeek Adam says:

Sterling catches a baseball. No Flaherty though.

155. EDDARD says:

Wish that ball had broken Sterling’s mike.

156. The Troll says:

Uh oh. Swisher’s getting a bit too amped up of late. His play always seems to suffer when his adrenaline is surging.

157. The Real Greg says:

Now that Jeter and Swisher have gone cold and that the majority of the test of the lineup are made up of platoon players due to injuries, not much should be expected.

158. Kramerica Industries says:

Quit letting Upton get on base.

He’s not a good hitter.

159. dkidd says:

the blue jays are just terrible

joe saunders (!!!) working on a no-hitter

160. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Would it kill CC NOT to put the leadoff man on to start an inning?

161. Kramerica Industries says:

Jesus Christ C.C.

162. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Step it up CC

163. The Real Greg says:

And there’s another bleeder.

164. Cy Pettitte says:

CC needs to engage obese mode. this is ridiculous.

165. The Real Widget says:

I guess back to back shutdown innings is too much to ask for.

166. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

2 on no out. Come the fuck on CC.

167. The Troll says:

I know how old this has gotten, but seriously, he’s not an ace . . . . Not this year at least. Too many hits.

You know what I do miss, though? “Too many homers” – Those were the days.

168. Kramerica Industries says:

Are you fucking kidding me with this shit?

COME ON

169. Karl Krawfid says:

This is gonna get ugly.

170. EDDARD says:

Martin’s a liability. Cervelli should be behind the plate tomorrow.

171. Luisergi says:

FUCK!!!

172. Mike N says:

Bear down, CC!

173. Frank says:

CC. Right on cue.

174. Kramerica Industries says:

Anyone else think Jeter would’ve had Upton at the plate?

• jjyank says:

Maybe, but if that throw was even slightly off line, he’s safe. Upton’s got good speed. I agree with the move, get the sure out.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Just an initial reaction.

That was a one-hopper right to Jeter. Probably the only kind of grounder he could’ve had a chance on.

• jjyank says:

Yeah. If Jeter was playing like 5 steps further in, I think he should have went home with it. He was playing pretty deep though.

175. EDDARD says:

And there was our double play ball, thanks Martin.

176. The Real Widget says:

I hate the rays so very very much.

177. The Troll says:

How does Girardi feel, you think, being out-managed by ol’ Crazy Ray Joe Maddon?

178. JonS says:

Yep, CC’s awesome.

179. stuart a says:

cc dominating per the usual.. our ace cannot hold leads last 2 games…

the ynaks with a lead and there inability to tack on runs…

could be a nightmare ending, we are getting use to…

• The Troll says:

Nothing you’ve said is false, but, as usual, you will get crucified for some reason.

Maybe it’s because of the lines and periods, though.

• The Real Greg says:

and spelling.

• jjyank says:

And because a lot of what he says is false. And because he ignores stats that disagree with his own narratives. And because it took him like 6 months to figure out there was a reply button. And because he repeats himself over and over like a homeless person asking for spare change. And because he never says anything that adds to a discussion, he just whines and complains like a bitter old man that frequently witnesses the neighborhood kids trespass on his lawn.

180. dkidd says:

if jeter’s numbers are “suspicious”, what about keppinger’s?

181. Cy Pettitte says:

Phil Hughes gets more whiffs than CC right now

182. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

I think we score two runs this next inning.

183. Kramerica Industries says:

Onus now back to the offense.

Get some more runs.

184. Marcy says:

Anyone see the stats on Nix and Nunez vs Shields? Why aren’t they in there-

185. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

Way to make him work assholes.

186. Kramerica Industries says:

Nice inning, O. Three weak grounders.

Now it’s time for the hittable ace to try and hold down a 3-3 game. Maybe we can get lucky.

187. The Troll says:

4 hits . . . What was that statistic someone brought up recently . . . about the Yankees not getting double-digit hits since August 23rd or some s-hit?

188. Hoss says:

Anyone know why we released Fukudome? I would think that the way this team is playing, you would want as many options as possible going into the last 4 weeks of the season.

• The Troll says:

WTF!!! Are you serious?! That infuriates me. What the F is with this season? Same goes for Wise . . . I thought that he and Musty would’ve been perfect September call-ups, but now they’ve let the FuckyFucky walk?! Who TF is running this organization?

• Hoss says:

I am always serious. I’d rather see Mustelier than F’Dome, but I have no idea why they got him if they dump him on 9/3. Maybe SF wants to sign him to major league contract? I guess you’d have to let him go if you have no plans for call up.

• The Troll says:

Major League experience . . . Why wouldn’t they have called him up? The transition between AAA and the Bigs this year has been extremely odd. Players that deserve a shot have not been getting it. It’s like there’s a massive level of stubbornness that’s taken hold under Cashman.

189. dkidd says:

that half inning gave me the runs

190. EDDARD says:

When CC gives up the lead someone is going to have to come up with a big hit. Why don’t we hit HRs anymore? Dickerson hit one and that’s about all we’ve had lately. Do something!

191. Rich says:

The way this team has been playing the past 6 weeks, I have this sense of inevitability of another loss. I hope I’m wrong.

192. The Real Greg says:

I think if the Yankees don’t make the playoffs, I think it will be treated a bit lighter than the Red Sox from last year for a couple reasons.

1. The injuries, obviously
    2. The fact that the Yankees hit the apez with 2 months to go, while the Sox hit the apex with 1 month to go. The Sox had less time to give their lead up.

193. Kramerica Industries says:

That was Chris freakin’ Gimenez, C.C.

194. Cy Pettitte says:

second time he’s had 7-8-9 and couldn’t have a clean inning…

195. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

4 pitch walk to Chris Giminez.

Good to see CC so sharp today.

196. The Real Widget says:

Gimenez is the new Sean Rodriquez. Just sad.

197. The Real Greg says:

To not totally absolve CC, this ump is not giving him anything

• The Troll says:

Excuses. Again. Just say it, Greg. CC has not pitched to his former self. Simple as that. He’s been hittable, at the very least.

• The Real Greg says:

I said to not totally absolve him. He hasn’t pitched really well. But he has given up bloops and bleeders and the ump has squeezed him. Those are the facts. The facts are the facts.

• The Troll says:

If facts are facts then hits are hits. You can’t keep excusing Yankee pitchers for letting up bloopers and bleeders. A good pitcher rarely allows that kind of sufficient contact. You also have to stop blaming the umpires. That’s just . . . well, trite. When Kuroda was on, he didn’t need any of your excuses. Why? Because he was getting his job done. CC, this season, has been hittable, and, based off today’s game, far less accurate than his historical stats. No more excuses. CC hasn’t been pulling his typical weight. And that, Greg, is the only fact one need to assert.

198. Frank says:

Johnson is seeing the ball well.

199. Robinson Tilapia says:

I see a MENSA convention broke out here while I was gone.

200. Roadgeek Adam says:

You know, for all you low morale people, that came out cleanly, whether or not you want to admit it.

When are we going to try to let CC put a man on before doomcasting? I mean seriously?

201. Hoss says:

Girardi and Rothschild look like Tom and Katie about this time last year…

202. The Real Greg says:

And guess what CC has thrown? 6IP 3ER. You know what that is!

203. EDDARD says:

One more run and one more inning out of CC is all we need. We don’t even need a full inning from CC, DRob and Soriano can combine for 2+ innings.

204. EDDARD says:

Can Ichiro bunt? No, he’s useless.

205. Pat D says:

Yes, Lou, Martin has a horrible BABIP.

206. JonS says:

Martin’s numbers don’t back up his “swag”.

207. Roadgeek Adam says:

I would support Martin getting another at-bat. He needs it, a chance to say F*** the Mendoza line.

208. Kramerica Industries says:

Ichiro is such a buzz kill himself.

209. Mike Axisa says:

When Granderson is healthy, Ichiro needs to sit. He’s useless.

210. Cy Pettitte says:

right down the middle….

211. Mike N says:

Terrible AB.

212. The Real Greg says:

Well I don’t know why people are pissed at Ichiro. You all weren’t expecting much from him anyway.

213. The Real Greg says:

And you all wanted Dickerson over Ichiro

214. Kramerica Industries says:

Runner on 1st, 3-2 count, no outs.

Three pitches later…

Inning over.

I don’t think the Yankees have played enough frustrating games lately.

215. Marcy says:

Then they’ll bring in a lefty and the Yanks are dooomed – joke — Yanks should win this one…please.

I’m not sure I see Martin’s swag. All we hear is “how athletic he is” behind the plate.
    Anyone see the non-athletic behind the plate Montero hit another homerun against Weaver?

216. The Real Widget says:

I blame Ichiro for all of that.

217. EDDARD says:

When we have Granderson and Teixera back, Ibanez will play left and Chavy will DH. Ichiro should be relegated to pinch running and late inning defense.

218. JonS says:

Where are the idiots who normally protest using “God” in anything. How long until they take that song from baseball?

• jjyank says:

What? Most of that stuff was added in the 50′s as some bullshit way to discourage Communism anyway.

I always said “under dog” in the pledge of allegiance in grade school. I don’t “protest”, but I am an atheist, and I resent being called an idiot.

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I agree!!! They also need to ban homosexuals from attending baseball games and read Bible scriptures in between innings!!!!

Asshole.

219. stuart a says:

the 3 run explosion looks like it for murderers row…

can they get the ball to the outfield on occassion? ichiro is fitting in well. he is old, overrated, and overpaid. Join the club……

ichiro never walks….

220. Marcy says:

Check out the O’s game

221. Roadgeek Adam says:

100th or 98th? lol.

222. JonS says:

Great breaking ball from Sabathia. Actually it was a change-up.

223. Kramerica Industries says:

Finally got Upton out.

224. Marcy says:

Mazel Tov

225. Roadgeek Adam says:

Ok, that was a graphic win.

226. JonS says:

So that’s what an ace looks like.

227. Mike N says:

Nice job, CC!

228. Marcy says:

Joe’s trying to give CC a chance for a win instead of thinking of the team — though the bullpen stinks.
    That was lucky.

229. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

Top of the lineup coming up and a tiring Shields. Let’s go!

230. Rich says:

We all kill CC (myself included) yet he has pitched 7 innings of 3 run ball yet we say Hughes pitched not too bad (outside of Mark Reynolds) but he gave up 5 runs in 5+ innings. We do take CC for granted. He isn’t Verlander (who is), but he’s not tomorrow’s starting pitcher either.

231. EDDARD says:

Joe isn’t bright enough to use Soriano in the 9th if it’s tied so we gotta score here. Someone get on for Alex.

232. Kramerica Industries says:

I wonder if that’s a hustle problem with Longo.

He jogs to first on routine grounders all the time.

• jjyank says:

Nobody cares because he’s not from Latin America?

/Salty’d

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Not sure if you’re watching the YES broadcast, but they were saying he was told not to push it after coming back from the hamstring injury.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Alas, no YES for me in this series, but I’m not just referring to his return from the DL. I’ve seen a ton of Rays games over the years, and Longo has never been one of those always-hustling types.

Not that he needs to be. The problems of “not hustling” have always been extremely overstated, and mostly only looked at for narrative purposes.

233. Kramerica Industries says:

Fourth time through the order with a SP over 100 pitches out there.

Get some runs, get the W.

234. EDDARD says:

They took their best player out of the game? Who does Joe Maddon think he is, Girardi?

235. Roadgeek Adam says:

Mr. Pine Tar in the pen, should inspect the glove.

236. JonS says:

Anyone want to win a special Yankee edition 2013 Ford Fusion?

237. Effthisnoise says:

The jays have zero interest in winning any of those games against the o’s.

238. The Troll says:

Between a cold Jeter and a cold Swisher, I’m not expecting much of anything out of this inning . . .

(REVERSE JINX ACTIVATED!)

239. Mike N says:

Great at-bat, Jeet!

240. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Nice at bat so far for Jeter.

241. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

What a fucking at-bat.

242. oldmanalex says:

swisher needs to get his head out of his ass this at bat.

243. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Jeter is taking a lot of walks lately.

244. EDDARD says:

Jete’s walk won us the 2nd game vs Baltimore. That walk shows why he is MVP. Now bunt the struggling Swisher.

245. Cy Pettitte says:

Jeter has an amazing AB, Swish promptly GIDPs. lol.

246. Kramerica Industries says:

How many fucking double plays has this team hit into these past few games?

Unreal.

247. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Oh good, a double play.

248. TomH says:

Shields toys with Swisher.

249. Ron says:

God I hate him. It will be the best day ever when he leaves.

250. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

SMFH

251. Hummingbird S. says:

apparently, making one out is not enough for Swisher.

252. stuart a says:

chance the yanks score again in this game almost nill. I hope I a mwrong but the losers cannot get it done late and close….

253. The Troll says:

I think we all saw that GIDP coming . . . It’s just how baseball’s been since the ASB

254. Dale Mohorcic says:

I try not to be one of the negative types, but I have a gut feeling about a ninth inning walk off in this one. Just seems set up for it.

255. JonS says:

Chances Robertson gets tagged in the bottom of the 8th?

256. Jedile says:

Just wondering. Any of y’all have interest in a size Medium Joba shirt? I got it the final year of the stadium. and I live in Florida so I don’t go to games.

Also Cano has a full count ermerhgerd!

257. Roadgeek Adam says:

Now that was a bad luck situation.

258. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Cano should hang himself.

259. Kramerica Industries says:

Unbelievable.

260. Cy Pettitte says:

anyone besides Cano is probably safe

261. Mike N says:

How did he not make it to first base on the booted ball!?!?!?!?

262. Marcy says:

Cuz he didn’t run – again! Time for Robbie to get the Rollins treatment.

• stuart a says:

Cano has done that consistently. again he is a terrible baserunner even when he tries. he is a moron. terrible baseball IQ overrated sack of cr-p. He gets no blowback from the fans also.

263. stuart a says:

this team simply cannot score runs. they FU–in suck….

264. The Real Greg says:

I want to see if he ran because it looked like he was running when he was tagged.

265. Hoss says:

Hey, Robbie: Need any more proof that you need to run out ground balls?

266. The Real Widget says:

I like Swisher, it was a steal of a trade for Cashman, but I won’t miss him if he leaves. Let some other team overpay him.

267. oldmanalex says:

Cano needs to be benched. WHY THE FUCK IS HE NOT HUSTLING. thats the second time this game. he cost a run earlier and now a chance to get on base with AROD on deck

268. EDDARD says:

That ball could have bounced into the dugout and he still could have thrown out Cano. Bench him, Joe.

269. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I’m pretty sure Cano didn’t hustle out of the box. They should show a replay of that.

270. The Real Widget says:

Wow thanks for nothing Cano. He should be benched tomorrow.

271. The Troll says:

I hope everyone is prepared for all Yankee hitters to swing out of their cleats the next inning . . . And that is just one reason why I have beef with BraceFace

272. The Real Greg says:

Okay he thought it was caught on a line. He did hustle after that.

273. Mike N says:

He stutter-stepped instead of running full-tilt right off the hit.

274. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Wow, that really isn’t cool, Cano. He does that a lot.

275. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Shields got a little too excited about that putout…..

276. Roadgeek Adam says:

So its a stutter step. Calm the fuck down people. You’re all acting like teenagers.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Well he does that a lot, and it’s bound to cost you eventually. This is one of those times, and it makes sense to be annoyed by it.

277. EDDARD says:

We better score next inning cause Joe isn’t smart enough to use DRob for multiple innings or Soriano in the 9th if it’s still tied. As soon as someone other than those two pitchers come into the game it’s over.

278. TomH says:

According to Suzyn, Robbie “absolutely stopped” at the plate, watching the ball, before he took off. According to her, he could have made it.

279. Pat D says:

Gotta say I am pretty fucking tired of Cano’s hesitation out of the box. Seems like it happens every time he makes a playable out.

280. stuart a says:

cano is a losing player. he doesn’t run hard alot of times.

he is bad news..

he should be fined and stop coddling the joke.

still with 71 rbi’s for the superstar…..

281. Kramerica Industries says:

Jeff Keppinger is such a pain in the ass.

282. Cy Pettitte says:

I don’t like our chances with their bullpens vs. ours.

283. Steel says:

Its not that Cano wasn’t running, he stopped temporarily when he first hit it because he thought the third baseman caught it.

284. Rich says:

I know he’s our best hitter and all, but that’s absolutely inexcusable by Cano. If Girardi had any guts he would do what he did in 2008 and bench his ass again.

• Marcy says:

Yes – like Manuel did w/Rollins.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, let’s make our lineup worse! We need Nix back in the lineup!

*rolls eyes*

• Rich says:

You are absolutely correct but there is no excuse for that and sometimes to get your point across you have to do something that makes no sense. What’s so hard for him to run hard. You do it four times a day that’s it

• Mike says:

You need to send a message that they need to hustle, and the one calling the shots IS the manager and not the players. If you don’t do that, what happened in Boston is bound to happen anywhere else (then again, I am of the idea that Valentine also should be fired to send a message from the front office that they are not gonna take it from players misbehaving, nor managers not taking action).

285. stuart a says:

nightmares visioning the closer on tampa doings hit celebration…

yanks cannot score runs….this is been going on for quite a while…

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

“nightmares visioning the closer on tampa doings hit celebration…”

ummm yeah, what language is this…….

286. Kramerica Industries says:

Got him.

Phew.

287. Marcy says:

Something went right

288. Kempire Strikes Back says:

HA! Eat your heart out Joe Maddon!

289. The Troll says:

Maddon’s going for the win. Do it, Rays. End this misery once and for all.

290. EDDARD says:

Joe did something right!

291. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Awesome play. Barely got him. And Lou is pretty funny in the booth saying Maddon’s worked enough for Labor Day and just wants to go relax in the clubhouse.

292. Cuso says:

Now Maddon thinks he’s motivating his players.

Cheap bitch

293. EDDARD says:

Maddon’s trying to fire up his club. He knows how big the game is. Wish Joe would so something like that.

294. Cy Pettitte says:

Ichiro gtfo. that was almost a disaster.

295. Roadgeek Adam says:

Collision win. Talk about defense by Dickerson.

296. Kramerica Industries says:

Talk about a break.

Cripes. Where the hell was the communication?

297. FIPster Doofus says:

Ichiro needs to GTFO.

298. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Wow, what the fuck. Shouldn’t yelled “I got it!” in Japanese.

299. Pat D says:

Yea, start playing comical baseball. Idiots.

300. The Real Greg says:

Gotta blame the dome for that one.

301. EDDARD says:

That’s the centerfielder’s ball. Ichiro almost got our 2nd best player injured.

302. Anthony says:

That could have ended a lot worse than it did… phew

303. JonS says:

WTF Ichiro.

304. The Real Widget says:

Crap here comes Giminez. Game over.

305. The Troll says:

The bottom of their order just has a knack for timely hits, eh?

306. JonS says:

Dammit. Wish Ichiro was hurt. Yep I said it.

307. Kramerica Industries says:

Don’t let Gimenez get another hit.

308. Cy Pettitte says:

game over. great job guys.

309. Kramerica Industries says:

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

310. FIPster Doofus says:

So predictable. Fuck this.

311. Mike N says:

Fuck me.

312. Marcy says:

ACHHHHHHHHHHHH

313. The Real Greg says:

2012 Yankees: BAD LUCK THE MOVIE

• Tom says:

2012 Real Greg: BROKEN RECORD JUSTIFICATION MAN

• The Troll says:

IT’S NOT BAD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

314. TomH says:

Damn it Robertson. Damn it.

315. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Don’t fucking dive to prevent the run from scoring, Robbie, don’t want you to exert yourself.

316. The Troll says:

Well that was obvious.

317. Kramerica Industries says:

Dive for the fucking ball.

Jesus fucking Christ.

318. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

That sucks.

319. EDDARD says:

LOL! David Robertson just let two of the worst hitters beat him. Maddon’s ploy works! Get off your ass Joe!!!!!!!

320. Roadgeek Adam says:

You all need anger management. This is despicable behavior in this thread.

People never learn I see.

321. Anthony says:

Well I guess we don’t have to worry about a walk off? Can’t help but be a debbie-downer with Rodney pitching next inning…

322. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

Fuck off Robertson.

323. Kramerica Industries says:

And lets not absolve Robertson, either.

Three hits this inning. He’s looked like shit.

324. The Real Widget says:

everyone sucks on the yankees.

325. Marcy says:

We can complain about Robbie not running to 1st but we can’t have him hurt. It’s beginning to look like one of those Mets years

326. Ron says:

123 from Rodney incoming.

327. Mike N says:

Sheeit!

328. Karl Krawfid says:

Dive you lazy fuck jesus.

329. The Real Greg says:

THEY”RE NOT WINNING THE WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR.

STOP BITCHING AND ACCEPT IT.

330. stuart a says:

cano has to dive for that ball. guess he did not want to get his uniform dirty…

they simply suck… they cannot hit and there pen has been bad for a while…when gimenz and others are beating you then there is trouble.

lucky downton freddy garcia is on the mound tommorrow.

fatboy could not hold the lead. yanks hit about 4 balls out of the infield.. this is a collapse of staggering proportions.

they are not making the playoffs.. they do not win the division they are toast……….

yankees have to rally like they have done countless times this year in the 9th inning……………

331. Nathan says:

This slide has been terrible.

Baltimore and Tampa both surging while the Yankees just can’t seem to get out of their own way.

Worst possible time to start sucking.

• Kempire Strikes Back says:

“start sucking”?

This team has been playing like shit since that Oakland series. The only saving grace was that 5-2 stretch against the Rangers and Red Sox.

• Mike says:

19-24 now since that trip to Oakland. JoeG thinks this is recent, but it is not, even before Oakland they were struggling but “the baseball gods” gave them many many chances, but when a team doesn’t take advantage of those oportunities, it is doomed.

332. Hummingbird S. says:

Not a single curveball.. why use your best pitch? Better to get beat on lesser pitches.

333. Cy Pettitte says:

let’s enjoy out last day in 1st place now. all down hill from here.

334. Cuso says:

Can’t you at least try to dive for it?

Something is not right with the morale of this team right now.

335. Kempire Strikes Back says:

It fucking kills me to say this…….

but Pedroia gets that ball…..

336. Rich says:

I am so done with this team, we find ways to lose. It’s a collective team effort now. Just end the misery and lose the lead to both teams this week.

337. Effthisnoise says:

An even bigger glaring moment why yesterday was so important. The jays will lay down for the orioles and the rays are all geeked up for the yanks.

• The Real Widget says:

I wouldn’t even say it’s laying down, the Jays just aren’t a very good team and the Orioles have shown they are a very good team.

338. EDDARD says:

Robbie Cano should sit tomorrow and now Joe can use the injury as an excuse if he doesn’t want it to go public. I don’t care if you hit .300, if you don’t run out of the box and dive for balls you ain’t playing.

339. The Real Widget says:

Not making the playoffs. The teams chasing them are both better than the Yankess and have no problem beating up on the Yankees.

340. Kramerica Industries says:

This L is all on Cano, if the Yankees don’t rally here.

His lack of hustle torpedoed both halves of that inning.

341. Mike says:

This Tampa Bay team are showing the Yankees what it means to be hungry of victories, they steal, bunt and do the small things.

JoeG on the other hand, waits for the homeruns every single time. And after the game its the same thing in the interviews “ññññññaaaa…I think our guys did fine, they had good at bats, Shields is a good pitcher”.

342. Kramerica Industries says:

Take advantage of this baserunner.

A home run would sure look fucking nice right now.

343. EDDARD says:

A 10 game lead now down to just 1. If Joe can’t rally the troops this last month his job should be lost just like Francona.

344. captain kiwi says:

holy crap. this is the first gt i’ve visited in over a week and there is some depressing shit in here. a month left to play and nearly everyone is counting the yankees out? c’mon.

345. Mike N says:

NUNEZ!!!

346. FIPster Doofus says:

Noony

347. Roadgeek Adam says:

Russell Martin will not see .200 today. Grandy on deck, Martin at .199.

348. Kramerica Industries says:

Nunez made that work.

Make this count, Raul.

349. lazy fuck says:

I’m sorry, you learn in little league that with two outs and a guy on second you dive and at least keep the ball from going into the outfield. That’s lazy, bullshit baseball. And in the previous inning he didn’t run out of the batters box. Thank you all 3 announcers for not saying one fucking thing about it. NOt one of them called Cano out on either play. Biggest fucking game of the year to date – and they all are from here on out, and that lazy piece of shit doesn’t run out of the box and doesn’t dive to save a run from scoring. I’d say bench his ass but this lineup sucks as it is right now.

P.S. I love how everyone is getting hurt and the big players that need to carry this team are shitting the bed when they’re needed most…namely Cano. Was batting .320 a couple weeks ago. Now down to .300. Get the fuck off the field and go get a God damn snack

350. Ron says:

More Nunez please.

351. Kramerica Industries says:

That was WORTHLESS, Raul.

352. The Troll says:

I’m silently, serenely expecting the worst.

353. Cy Pettitte says:

Granderson? lol come on, we need someone who can actually get a base hit.

354. Mike N says:

C’mon, Grandy!!!! Get a motherfucking hit!

355. FIPster Doofus says:

A passed ball/wild pitch is probably their only hope.

356. The Troll says:

Oh boy. K-Man’s up.

357. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Please balk.

358. EDDARD says:

We better see Eduardo Nunez penciled in at 2B tomorrow.

359. The Troll says:

99 MPH? Hot damn, Hot-Rod!

360. Ron says:

Yankees favorite show: the walking dead

361. Mike N says:

Hideous.

362. IPK for Tim Reddings (formerly Brian S.) says:

That was a fucking ball!

363. Karl Krawfid says:

This team is dead.

364. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

awful

365. Cy Pettitte says:

Granderson Ks of course. fucking loser.

366. Nathan says:

Like watching a ship slowly sink…

367. Anthony says:

Lmfao this is getting really old.

368. Kramerica Industries says:

Fucking hell.

One run ballgame, and they lose. Runner on second, less than two outs, and they don’t score.

GO. FUCKING. FIGURE.

369. Chilango (en la chinga chamba) says:

Granderson strikes out. Of course. Fuck this team.

370. The Troll says:

Granderson struck out . . . WTF else was Girardi expecting?

371. Kempire Strikes Back says:

KKKKKKKurtis

What a surprise.

We got beat by fucking Ubaldo Gimenez, and look at that, another one run loss.

372. The Real Widget says:

1 game lead. Damn right we have a right to be fucking negative and complain. This is terrible baseball to watch and our favorite team is Boston Red Soxing it out there.

373. stuart a says:

what a shocker they did not come back in the 9th ..SHOCKER. AFTER ALL THE YHAVE BEEN SO CLUTCH THIS YEAR.

you cannot make this up. tampa took out longoria and another top end player late and it still did not come back to haunt them..

NO ONE ON THIS TEAM COMES UP BIG, NO ONE… friggin unbelievable how tight and what a bunch of losers on this team..

fatboy did not do his job again, robertson I think that is his 5th loss…gave up hits to the bottom of the order. and the offense is plain offensive… the level of incompetence is staggering…

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

i agree, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling errors all over the place….staggering level of incompetence……

• DC says:

what a shocker….you do nothing…..but whine and bitch…

…..

….

• Anthony says:

These rants are the only thing still keeping me entertained. Another crappy one-run loss. Don’t know what happened with D-Rob, don’t know where Cano was on that play. And the orioles win again. Sigh.

374. EDDARD says:

I just don’t know how you can watch this team and think they’ll make the playoffs. They don’t hustle. They don’t get the big hits when they need them. Their manager doesn’t do anything. Tampa hustles. Tampa got the big hits. Tampa’s manager fired up his club and inspired them to take the lead. We’re just dead fish, almost as dead as Boston.

375. The Troll says:

No point in having an ace on the mound if the offense can only muster up 5 hits . . .

376. Mike says:

Granderson struck out? really?
    I did not see that one coming, besides the fact that he just bats 0.200 lifetime as a PH, but that’s not the point, JoeG brought the Yank’s king of the K because the only way to tie this game was with a homerun and… wait… a hit with men on third? is that legal? aren’t homeruns the only way to score? WOOOW I just learnt a new thing today.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Who did you want to PH? Andruw Jones? Chris Stewart? Steve Pearce?
      Granderson was the best available option.

• Mike says:

Even Stewart was a better option, you don’t need a hit to tie it, a squeeze play had more chances to work than strikeout man himself.

• Hoss says:

The Yankee offense has been one dimensional for the entire season. Every hitter – even Ichiro now – swings from the heels for a HR. Whose fault is that? Why don’t we hit and run, squeeze, do anything but try for a 3-run homerun with no one on base?

• Mike says:

Yup, exactly my point, we don’t need a homerun hitter in a clutch situation with a men on third and two outs when a squeeze could work as well.

Hell, that’s the way Baltimore and Toronto have beaten the Yankees at least 3 times each in the past 2 seasons: squeeze plays, a lost art for the NYY =/

377. Roadgeek Adam says:

I hear blah blah blah here.

We’ll win tomorrow. I have utmost confidence. We don’t have an ace on the mound for the Rays.

378. stuart a says:

again ajaz is better then curtis not even close…

this team cannot score…

arod i thin kwent 4 pitches in the 9th so he is back to the usual..

curtis, newsflash there closer lowes the changeup…look at a scouting report on occassion.. not only is this team bad, they are old, and extremely overpaid and many guys are unmoveable contract wise……….

379. mt says:

I have seen Cano dive before (although rarely) so I think he still thought he could smoothly pick it and then throw runner out on first.

• lazy fuck says:

Doesn’t matter. With the go ahead runner on second with 2 outs, you at very least keep the ball in front of you. Dive. Knock it down. Then it’s first and third with two outs…and guess what happened. The next batter got out. It’s just another example of bad baseball all around. If they aren’t hitting home runs and pounding teams into submission they can’t win. No other dimension to this team.

380. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

PANIC!!

Okay never mind.

Sigh.

381. stuart a says:

the truth hurts… this team is bad. cano is a chump. never takes pitches, does not hustle, and should have dived on that play to keep the ball on the infield.

they did not hit a homer today so how do you expect them to win??? happened about 5 times this season.

the only team in baseball not to comeback to win a game in the 9th is the ny platooners.. the friggin houston astros have won at least 1 game from behind late… just the facts.

382. Frank says:

Stick a fork in this team. They are done. This time next week, they’ll be fighting for a WC spot.

BTW- How does Cano not dive for that ball? Inexcuseable. But I’m sure Girardi will come up with something like “we played hard, I like the effort” bullshit.

383. TomH says:

On that sometime (and very academic) debate about whether all this is properly called a “collapse.” Injuries or no injuries, it’s actually a collapse. They’ve lost far too many games they should have won–against Cleveland and Toronto, for example–to permit them to avoid the embarrassment of collapse.

Like Baltimore, TB is the better team. The Yankees play a kind of one-dimensional baseball that has finally caught up with them. Take those HR’s away–and where have they gone?–and there ain’t much left.

If Suzyn’s account of Cano’s failure initially to run is true, he ought to be savagely grilled by the press. A humiliating benching wouldn’t hurt either.

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Injuries don’t matter.
      The Sox had plenty of injuries and it was still called a collapse. Goose/gander blah blah blah.

384. Cy Pettitte says:

hopefully this collapse is a Sox style wake up call to Cashman and he doesn’t pay these lazy overpaid turds to stay in NY when they hit free agency.

385. The Troll says:

I rather be a Red Sox fan and watch meaningless baseball, pumping myself for a potentially eventful off-season.

386. stuart a says:

cano could not dive on that play, he was concerned he would choke on some sunflower seedss.

cano is a clown. a typical day for him is 5 AB’s and about 13 pitches.. He got a hit with no one on base par the course.

he is so overrated and the excuses for him a laughable.

• Will The Thrill says:

I hope Boras is ready to market Cano as a middle of the order hitter even though he’s hit horribly with RISP his whole career.

• DC says:

Three things you should do:

1. Look up definition of “horribly”.
        2. Review Cano’s data for RISP.
        3. Establish a correlation of where you went wrong.

387. Will The Thrill says:

I’m really hoping Cashman and Girardi get fired after this year. Their moves on and off the field are to blame for this team’s failures. They’ve out stayed their welcome. Girardi is such a crappy manager. He doesn’t manage to win, he manages by the book but sometimes you have to think outside the box to win. And Cashman makes shitty trades and has left our farm barren. Now this team is old and can’t put up a decent fight anymore.

• DT says:

Cashman hasn’t been terrible. The Farm is bottom heavy but that is not really Cashman’s fault. Montero would have been our only MLB ready prospect, and he has sucked this year as much as Martin. His trades aren’t horrible, and make sense at the time he does them. Every GM have some swings and misses and his track record thus far has been good.

Girardi on the other hand can piss off.

• The Troll says:

To even mention Montero in the same breath as Martin is heresy. Martin has been HORRIBLE. Jesus doesn’t even compare.

• DT says:

Montero has a 87 wRC+ compared to Martin’s 84. So Montero is only slightly better offensively. The biggest difference however is that Montero has been rated far worse on defense (Even though Martin hasn’t been great at that either). Between the two it’s basically choosing between a older terrible catcher or younger bad catcher/1b/dh.

• Anthony says:

What about Cash signing Kuroda…?

• TomH says:

Replace Cashman with whom? Is there someone decidedly better as a GM? I don’t really keep up with GM performance across the game. Who are these likely alternatives if they let Cash walk?

388. EDDARD says:

Robbie Cano is pulling a Desean Jackson. He’s not going to exert himself or do anything to get himself injured until he gets that fat contract extension. Disgraceful.

389. DT says:

This might be a good excuse to get rid of Girardi

• Will The Thrill says:

And Cashman, K-Long and Rothschild too. Make Oppenheimer GM, Posada manager, Mike Mussina pitching coach and Bernie Williams hitting coach.

• lazy fuck says:

Girardi isn’t the issue. You really want to see the Yankees do what the Red Sox did last year and fire a good manager because of a lousy finish? Where did that get the sox huh? We’ll end up with some bullshit manager just like they did. I’m not sure there are too many guys I’d rather have than Girardi. Maybe Maddon, but that clearly ain’t happening.

Girardi has his issues, but it’s not his fault the Yankees’ best hitters are dropping left and right and Cano is a lazy fuck who won’t dive or exercise any plate discipline.

This team needs other dimensions – Yes they’re among the league’s best in OBP and SLG, but they’re too damn inconsistent. They need speed (which they lost with Gardner) – look what speed did for the Rays in this game. In the 5th inning, a double steal led to runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. The Yanks had to play the infield back and a ground out got the run in. THen in the last inning, a stolen base got the go ahead run in scoring position so that lazy fuck playing second could allow the gw run to score by not diving…

Enough of these old Lou Ferigno look alikes who bat .230 and hit 20-30 home runs but are utterly worthless during their other 550 at bats throughout the season.

• DT says:

Difference is that I think Francona is a good manager who got screwed by his team. I never thought Girardi was a good manager even when the team was winning.

• Mike says:

When was the last time you saw the Yankees do a squeeze play? Consistently bunting, stealing bases and playing with hit and runs? When was the last time the closer came into the game to protect a one run disadvantage in the 7th to try and tie it in the last third of the game?

Yeah “good” managers don’t do that, they just wait for the homerun.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’ll bite. When was the last time you saw any team do that?

• Mike says:

Oh and by the way, if you check on baseball reference, you’ll see that the Yankees infield has thrown less than 5 runners at home plate, Girardi plainly doesn’t like them to risk an out in home and will rather tell them to get the easy out.

390. Jedile says:

Too many homeruns!

391. The Troll says:

With the way that Oakland’s been playing, the WC seems suddenly out of reach.

• stuart a says:

i have been saying that for 2 weeks. win the division or stay home.

• The Troll says:

And I’d agree with that. The division is their only hope and they’ll have lost it by tomorrow. What a shame . . . Hopefully the front office will use this as a wake-up call and infuse the team with youth and CONTACT hitters for the future.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

This makes no sense though. They are further ahead for the second wild card spot than for the division.

• The Troll says:

Yeah, but you know they’re not going to be winning too many games going forward. Once they fall out of first, it’s going to be quite the chore to get back into the Wild Card.

• Mike says:

Not really, the Yanks are just 2.5 games ahead of the Rays and will be tied with Oakland if they lose (0-5 vs Angels right now for them).

For the Yankees to fall off first place in the division means they will lose the next two games, allowing Baltimore to take first all for themselves.

With those two loses, the Yanks will be only 0.5 game ahead of Tampa, and depending on how Oakland does. They might as well be 2 games behind the A’s.

So, nope, it is not much “further ahead”.

• DT says:

We’re going to suddenly find young stud players out of no where right?

• The Troll says:

With trades, yes. Package players for prospects. But, you know, you could always be a jackass instead.

• DT says:

They don’t have any big trade pieces right now, nor is there any certainty that prospects will work out. If we say trade Cano for a prospect package we’ll be worst off for the next 3 years, with no guarantee that any of the prospect will work out.

• Mike says:

Yeah, it is not like AJax and Montero worked for the Tigers and the Mariners… Oh wait, both of them are having a better season all around than the players they were traded for.

The Yankees would kill right now for a young stud catcher that bats 0.300 away from Seattle (that’s what Ichiro batted away from Safeco this year and he’s batting 0.280 with the NYY, it is fair to assume that Montero would be at least batting 0.280 at Yankee Stadium, plus his 0.300 away).

• DT says:

Right AJax has one good half of a season and he now a sure thing. He has been pretty average in the second half, only slightly better than Grandy. Montero is beasting with his .700 OPS. Obviously a game changer.

392. Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Kevin Long rules.

393. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Some reporter asked Girardi how he’s still so positive and he responded by saying “I’m positive, sweetie. That’s just the way I am.”

lol

394. Boss says:

OK, time to come clean. We need some new blood here:
    Cashman: out
    Girardi: out
    Long: out
    Rothschild: out

New
    GM: Towers (We’ll give AZ a prospect…)
    Mgr: Chambliss
    Hitting Coach: McLendon
    Pitching Coach: Cooper

• DT says:

Whats with the crazy Major overhaul? I would not mind Girardi leaving but Rothschild has been good. If you compare the numbers of Yankee pitchers before and after Rothschild, you’ll see a huge spike in strikes out, decline in walks and overall better than they were with say Dave Eiland or whoever. Kevin Long has been fine too. And i already explained why i’d keep cashman up above.

• Reverse Mormon says:

Kevin Long? have you been watching the games and Yankee hitters this year.

• DT says:

Because long is the reason bad players are not hitting well? Grandy has been down this year, but his work with Long still is showing in his power numbers. His inability to make consistent contact is more to do with his plate vision.

• Mike says:

Kevin Towers is not the way to go, in San Diego he did a mess of the team, a few good seasons but most of it was pure luck, plus it won’t happen in NY as long as they keep having millions and millions in attendance.

• DC says:

Knee jerk, overreaction BS.

395. herby says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Cashman, Girardi and Long out…I’ve always thought Girardi and Long were overrated. He would’ve been out in 2009 if it wasn’t for all those amazing 9th inning comebacks that the manager has nothing to do with. Long has been deemed with being a genius on the basis of what precisely? He’s turned the Yankees into a pull happy team that can’t hit with runners in scoring position that good pitchers take advantage of. Cashman has been credited with being so great in picking up players off the scrapheap, but for all those players look at what he’s given away, or all the garbage ones’ he’s gotten back in return.

• DC says:

So many things wrong with this comment….smh

• Squints says:

The only the thing i agree with on that is about Kevin Long. Dead on, they cant get base hits and are very pull happy swinging for the fence.

• Mike says:

So you’re happy with the trades Cashman pulls?

AJax, Kennedy and Coke for Granderson.
        Noesí and Montero for Campos and Pineda

Did we need pitchers? YEP and he traded two starters and a reliever.
        Did we need a young catcher? YEP and he traded him

What did we get back?
        A trigger happy CF with a weak arm and a 0.250 lifetime AVG and 0.320 lifetime OBP.
        A starter with a long history of arm trouble.

How did it work out?
        The trigger happy CF bats 0.240 and has the new strikeout record for the Yanks, and will try to beat his record this season, he is just 10 Ks away with one month to go.

The starter with a long history of arm trouble, got hurt and lost this season and maybe part of the next season.

AJax was deemed “green” for the big leagues by the Yankees, and he is for the third season in a row batting over 0.300 with excelent range, a superb throw and he has not even hit 30 years yet.

Kennedy had one good season, and one not so good.

Noesí stunk.

Montero is having a far far far better season when compared to Martin, who might as well be the worst full time catcher i have seen in the past 35 years with the Yankees. Yeah, as worse as Don Slaught.

Then of course you have the second chance to Javier Vázquez, the acquisitions of Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Randy Johnson, Tonny Womack… et al.

• DT says:

Montero is not having a far better season than Martin. Montero has a .700 OPS which sucks, Martin has a .670 OPS which usck a bit harder. So you’re comparing two bad players.

And our need for starting pitchers is the reason we got Pineda. His injury was not foreseen.

Also are you high on Ajax? 3rd .300 season? If he ends this season with a .300 average it would be his first. in his first year he had a good first half and bad second. In his second year he was piss poor offensively with a barely .300 OBP. And this year he had a Monster first half, but look up his numbers int he second half, he has been below average. But good job on the revisionist history.

Even moves like Javy and Pavano has rationale behind them. Pavano was the best pitcher on the market when he was signed. Javy was a young pitcher with Ace potential in his first stint, in his second stint he was a coming off a cy young season but suffered an arm injury with us.

Also Granderson is not a .250/.320 guy. His career line is .263/.343/.493. His stat line when we acquired him put him comparable to Justin Upton right now. of course everyone wants to trade the farm for Justin Upton now, but Grandy is not worth it anymore.

But of course all this required me to actually look up facts.

• DC says:

“He would’ve been out in 2009 if it wasn’t for all those amazing 9th inning comebacks that the manager has nothing to do with.”

But he gets the blame for losses? LOL

396. Captain Gift Basket says:

Another fine performance by the Yanks scouting department – first, big out Mark Reynolds destroys them, and now the mighty Gimenez beats them today. The organization better wake up and realize talent is no longer gonna carry the day with this has- been, washed up team and actually scout their opponents.