Sep

Poll: Joe Girardi’s job security

(Jonathan Daniel/Getty)

The Yankees are mired in a brutal second half slide that has seen them lose 27 of their last 52 games and blow a ten-game division lead. They still remain tied atop the AL East because the Orioles can’t seem to find a way to break through to take over sole possession of first, but any time a team crashes as hard as the Bombers have, the manager’s job security will come into question. Fair or not, it happens.

Two weeks ago I said that I would be surprised if Joe Girardi keeps his job through the winter if the Yankees miss the postseason only because situations like that call for a scapegoat, and the manager is as good a scapegoat as any. Ken Rosenthal wrote yesterday that Girardi is “a good manager who doesn’t deserve to be fired” while also acknowledging that he’s likely to be on the hot seat if the Yankees fail to make the postseason. Although Girardi was hand-picked for the job by Brian Cashman and Hal Steinbrenner and remains under contract through next season, I can’t imagine a second playoff-less season in five years would sit well.

It’s probably worth noting that Girardi has had some blow-ups in recent weeks — he lashed out at a fan in Chicago and got into a shouting match with Joel Sherman after calling him into his office — which were very uncharacteristic. Could the stress of the collapse be getting to him? Maybe, maybe not. We’ll never know, but the narrative can be spun any way you choose. Point being, the two incidents could give the brain trust more of a reason to part ways with their skipper of five years after the season if there is no October baseball in the Bronx.

What happens to Girardi if the Yankees miss the postseason?
View Results
Categories : Coaching Staff, Polls

1. EDDARD says:

If Girardi presides over one of the worst collapses in sports history then he should be fired and he will be just like Tito Francona.

2. Bavarian Yankee says:

if Bud Black isn’t available just keep Girardi. Girardi’s doing a good job imo.

• Pat D says:

I think Black is a good manager, but I could never see the Yankees hiring him. The reaction would be more hostile than when they hired Torre. Sure, that worked, but remember all the headlines at first?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I also think guys are going mostly manage to the personnel on the field and what management wants. You can bring in Black, Madden, etc. and, in the end, you’re not going to get the drastic departure from Joe you think you’re going to get.

3. Mike HC says:

I don’t think there is any manager in the world who would have had the ability to make CC pitch better this year. I think Girardi deserves at least another year no matter what happens at the end of the this year (short of him assaulting a reporter).

• Betty Lizard says:

I don’t want to see any hint of violence or thuggery on the Yankees and I hope for stoical civility at all times but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to see Giradi releasing buckets of pig’s blood onto the heads of unsuspecting reporters.

• Mike HC says:

ha, in that case, he deserves an extra year especially if he assaults a reporter.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d actually make an exception for the visual of Sherman, Klapisch, Waldman, and Marakovits running frantically out of the clubhouse, covered in pig’s blood.

• Bobby two knives says:

who says a manager has to be stoic? What’s wrong with letting your frustration out? cf: pinella;martin (I know, I know); etc.

• CountryClub says:

Yup; but I still think they’re going to make the playoffs.

4. JohnnyC says:

The elephant in the room is the fact Girardi couldn’t overcome the aging, badly constructed roster that Cashman gave him. I agree with Rosenthal’s take. I don’t think Girardi is a great manager but it looks like someone was set up to take the fall.

5. Rich in NJ says:

This is on Cashman as much as Girardi. Sure, Girardi is wound up way too tight, but if the farm system was the talent pipeline that Cashman said it would be when he received more power in 2006, and if his trades and free agent signings had worked out better, Girardi would have no reason to be overreacting to the pressure of losing a 10 game lead.

That said, they will make the playoffs, so Hal will be sated.

6. Steven says:

Girardi should be fired for sticking with the declining players on his roster after Sept. Call ups.Let’s face it. Ibanez and Jones are a waste of space in the. Dug out.Pearce shouldnt be playing at all.Girardi is way. too stubborn.

• Herby says:

Couldn’t agree more…don’t know why he keeps sticking with Jones, Ibanez I give a little more of a pass on, but would Dickerson be any worse. I still think there must have been some trouble between them and Girardi holds some grudges, either between the player or that Cashman might have told him to use the younger players at some point.

7. Jose M. Vazquez says:

Hey Mike what happened to my post? You did not like? Too long?

• Mike Axisa says:

?

I don’t see anything in the spam filter or in moderation.

• Jose M. Vazquez says:

It must got lost in the matrix. What I said was that Girardi can’t pitch, hit (never could) or field. His best hitters have not performed to task and neither has his best pitcher. The roster is overall old and there were not many pieces in the minors to help. That is not all that I said but I forgot the rest.

8. roadrider says:

I’m not a fan of Girardi – he’s wound way too tight and often makes poor decisions (and non-decisions, like not getting Nunez out of there in the late innings last night). But frankly, I think managers are far less important than players (or else how has Ron Washington been to more WS than Girardi and how did Bob Brenly win one?) and Girardi is no bigger dope than 95% of the guys who would replace him.

If CC were himself, we still had Mo, Pettitte and Gardner and Curtis Granderson hadn’t forgotten how to hit in the past two months we’re not even talking about this.

• jjyank says:

I’m inclined to agree. If CC was an ace, Pineda didn’t miss the whole year, Andy didn’t get injured, Gardner was keeping Ibanez and Jones out of the field, Granderson didn’t turn into a strike out machine, Robbie didn’t forget how to hit lefties, and probably a few other things I’m forgetting, I doubt Girardi is even on a luke warm seat, let alone a hot one.

Some of his decisions have definitely been questionable, but he was dealt a pretty shit hand this season. I know, I know, nobody cares about our injuries and other teams deal with similar crap over the course of the season, but it certainly feels like the Yankees have had more than usual. I can’t drop that all on Girardi.

Of course, all this this is why I don’t think he should be fired, not whether or not he actually will be. If they miss the playoffs, he might get canned. I wouldn’t agree with it, though.

• Bo Knows says:

You forgot losing Mo, Tex’s calf strain, Arod’s broken wrist, and the amount of injuries that extended to the depth in the minors.

Joe doesn’t deserve to get fired regardless of what happens this year, a ton of really unfortunate events have happened that have hurt this team far more than we realize. Joe deserves at least to play out his contract; if the team doesn’t make the playoffs next year; then can him.

• jjyank says:

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting a few things. And A-Rod’s injury occurred as he was really heating up too. Would the pen look so bad with D-Rob and Soriano were in the 7th and 8th, respectively? That’s a huge bump.

I just hate the idea of a scapegoat. If someone is really bad at their job and deserves to be fired, then by all means. But I really don’t believe that’s the case here.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I probably like Joe a bit better than you do, but it’s hard to disagree with the rest of what you’re saying.

9. TomH says:

You need another poll, this one on Cashman.

10. dp says:

Girardi is terrible and the sooner he’s gone the better. He always boxes himself and the team into corners. He’s a reactionary manager that is always late in making decisions. The guy should be tarred and feathered and punted out of NY forever.

• jjyank says:

“He’s a reactionary manager that is always late in making decisions.”

And every time he pulls a pitcher under 100 pitches with a quicker than usual hook, he gets blasted for taking him out too early and over using the bullpen. I’m glad I’m not a MLB manager, it really is a thankless job.

• Pat D says:

I’m still mad at you, son.

• dp says:

It’s not about pulling the starter when in comes to pitchers it’s about his terrible pen management. Sure he gets some props for not over using guys for the most part but if you look at his decision making overall it’s poor.

He’s had ample opportunities over the years to integrate young players and fails them miserably.

He lies constantly to the press an us fans.

He lets the press influence his decision making. A recent example being Stewart catching Sabathia where those two were working well together. Asked if Stewart would catch Sabathia in the post season he said no and promptly replaces Stewart with Martin as the big man’s catcher to the detriment of all involved.

Girardi is a failure and need to go.

• jjyank says:

You’re making an awful lot of assumptions there. Also, how many young players has he had the chance to integrate?

• dp says:

I am not making any assumptions. He is terrible at integrating young players. He will NEVER use them unless forced too.

Girardi is a scrapheap players best friend and his buddy Cashman finds him plenty.

• jjyank says:

Okay. Name me all the young players rotting on the bench this year that Girardi has “failed to integrate”. Nunez? He tried to integrate him early in the year, Nunez played himself back to the minors. Who else?

And you are making assumptions. Give me some examples of his lies instead of generalized ranting please.

Also an assumption: you have no damn clue how much influence the press does or does not have.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Like I said, we all want to replace Andruw Jones with a bullish 2015 prediction on Tyler Austin.

• Bo Knows says:

2015 isn’t bullish, that’s honestly conservative. I’m thinking him competing for the starting job by 2014 with a possible call up even earlier as a September callup next year

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I agree with you. Do you agree with my overall point, though, putting aside whether it’s 2014 or 2015?

• Bo Knows says:

Absolutely, being able to keep any and all secrets from leaking, especially in this day and age is a great accomplishment and something I’m glad the team can do. It’s all nice to talk about bringing in younger players into the mix, but it’s damn impossible right now because non of the players that will be needed to be brought into the mix, are at least a year from being ready.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He doesn’t lie. The franchise keeps things close to the hip. I actually like that a whole lot better than rumors and pure shit spilling out all over the place. That’s what we have Flushing and Boston for.

We talk about integrating young players as if we’re going to replace Andruw Jones tomorrow with a 2015 bullish prediction of Tyler Austin.

• dp says:

Girardi lies all the time! He is woefully dishonest.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

No. I think the franchise keeps information from the public. That’s slightly different from Girardi openly lying to dp.

• jjyank says:

This. Part of the manager’s job is to downplay things, keep a level atmosphere, and keep the media off the player’s backs.

Does anyone really want Girardi to start throwing players under the bus if there is a disagreement? Is he supposed to say “Yeah, we’re totally fucked, lol see you on the golf course bitches!” during a press conference?

What exactly are his “woeful lies” that make him so terrible?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If Girardi were to start pulling a Jerry Manuel and actually start doing that, I would actually change my mind on him.

Well-run organizations don’t leak information. Th top doesn’t come off the pressure cooker until it’s ready to.

• jjyank says:

Unless you’re in Boston! ZING!

I’m basically in the process of training myself to have that exact mindset. I think it’s an important concept that too many people don’t understand.

• dp says:

It’s not about downplaying things at all. It’s that he can’t even explain his simple decisions in a friendly manor. He creates unnecessary drama between himself and the media. Honestly does the silly horse help?

The problem I have with Girardi is that he starts every game with a plan and when that plan isn’t working he can’t move away from it. His in game managing skills just are not good enough.

• jjyank says:

I like how you abandoned the “he’s a woeful lier” line and moved on to game managing skills. If you disagree with his decisions, that’s fine. He’s made some questionable ones, especially of late, but overall I think he’s just been dealt a shitty hand and an awful lot of his decisions are of the “lose-lose” variety.

• dp says:

Girardi has been accused of lying many times. He never tells the truth. If you don’t want to say something just be honest and he never is.

It’s not hard to just talk about your why you make a particular decision. He never does this so he’s always at odds with the press who imo has given him to many breaks.

• jjyank says:

As far as I know the only problems he’s had in that regard were in 2008. Bring me a specific instance where his devious, lying ways have hurt the team recently, or be quiet. He never tells the truth? Okay buddy.

• Bo Knows says:

Honestly who gives a flying f$%k what the media thinks? The job isn’t a popularity contest. Does Joe make some questionable decisions sometimes, absolutely; but like someone said more times than not this season has he had a no win option.

• JohnnyC says:

Reactionary manager? What’s his politics have to do with anything?

11. Robinson Tilapia says:

Girardi did tear Mariano Rivera’s ACL. Girardi didn’t pull an utter asshollic trade for Michael Pineda. Girardi has done his best with the parts given to him. This team has missed the playoffs once since 1995. It’s not a crime against humanity if it happens a second time.

I don’t think this is grounds for Cashman to go either. Again, I think Montero/Pineda has been disastrous, but one mistake does not a firing make for a person under whose watch this franchise won five championships. You give him the opportunity to come of out of it.

“did NOT tear”

whoops

I’m sure teddy would agree with my error, though.

• Pat D says:

I’m inclined to agree with you on both counts. In a perverse way I hope that whomever eventually replaces both Cashman and Girardi fare far worse, so that some people here might learn a lesson.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s very wise to go out and spend hundreds of millions of dollars and/or fire everyone every time a team misses the playoffs. Sure, if they miss a few years in a row, or like 2 or 3 out of 5 or 6 in alternating fashion, maybe. If the miss the playoffs, it’ll suck, but it is what it is.

My favorite part about all this is how many people assume that firing Girardi and/or Cashman is an inherently good thing. How many managers or aspiring managers could be worse than Girardi? How many GMs or aspiring GMs could be worse than Cashman? Answer: probably quite a few. And quite a few more that are probably equal.

It’s like you were saying about the Red Sox dumping all that salary a few weeks ago. Just because they have money to spend doesn’t mean they will spend it wisely or their investments will pan out. They still have to go out and fill a roster out, and that’s no slam dunk. I think the same logic applies here. We can get rid of Cashman and/or Girardi, but the Steinbrenners will still need to go out and find guys that can improve the team, and that is far from a guarantee. In fact, it’s entirely possible that a replacement manager/GM will end up making the team worse.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The idiot belief that “heads must roll” somehow meaning “accountability” doesn’t just stop at watching Donald Trump fire Coolio on reality TV. People think that SPEAKING LOUDLY means doing something, but that the contrary is abdication of thought. If someone’s head doesn’t roll then, damnit, the problem’s not being addressed.

And, no, I don’t know of anywhere else in the news where that same principle was ridiculously applied this week. :)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There’s also all this “code” you always hear from reporters such as “the manager has lost the respect of the players,” etc. I don’t think we’re even near that point. I think guys play damn hard for Joe and are going to continue doing so.

• cr1 says:

The idea that a team begins to lose because players have ‘lost their respect for the manager’ just has too many loose assumptions behind it to be meaningful. One is that the players ever had any great respect for their manager to begin with. Another is that they play for their manager rather than for themselves and their own self-respect, for the team and their feelings for it, for their team-mates, for their next contract, for the respect of the baseball world as a whole, for the well-being of their families, and so on and so forth.

Maybe a bunch of rookies new to the show follow their manager like ducklings in a row, but a team of veterans would probably be little affected in terms of motivation if their manager were replaced on the bench by a cardboard cut-out.

JMO

• DT says:

The Pineda/Montero trade has yet to play out. Pineda hasn’t pitched and Montero has been underwhleming.

• Jose M. Vazquez says:

Sorry for the late reply but at this point Montero has hit more homers than Mickey in his rookie year. You must remember he is still 22 and improving every day. Tis in no way implies that he will be a Mantle but you can bet he will be one of the top players in the AL within the next two or three years.

12. Tom Morea says:

Cashman and his stooge, Girardi are going nowhere. The Steinbrenner brothers, both the pencil pusher Hal and the alcoholic Hank have limited knowledge and no passion for the game. Cashman, the former clerk-intern with the Yankees has been entrusted with the daily operations and control. All Yankee fans should be secure in knowing that the Yankees are in the hands of a man with impeachable character, a family man, with the highest integrity and the greatest of morals!

13. Chilango says:

It’s not Girardi’s fault. He has to work with what he has. The Yankees have played poorly since July, for the obvious reasons we’ve talked about ad nauseum here. Joe’s managerial mysteries notwithstanding (why the fuck did Eppley pitch at all last night?), it’s not on him.

14. Edmond says:

It shouldn’t be Girardi that gets fired, it should be Cashman! His affairs on the tabloids, dealing Montero for Mexican Pinada and getting rid of Burnett who is winning now!

15. stuart a says:

fire giradi because; he could not make cano into a guy who does not throw ab’s away and get a big hit once in a blue moon, also he could not get swisher to ever come up big when it matters, also stop arod from getting old, slow, and injury prone, he could not get texiera to be smarter at the plate and not swing for the fences on every pitch, and get granderson to understand not every pitch is a fastball etc.

my point is girardi is not the problem it is the yankee stars who are the problem!!!when I say the word star obviously these bums are not stars they just get paid like stars. the only yankee star is a 38 year old SS playing in 1.5 legs who needs help..

cano has been the biggest star who is AWOL…his 6.5 WAR is a joke……….i would trade him for a 2b(good and young) and a young stud OF in the offseason in 2 seconds…

CC is not a ace. ace’s do not lose leads in 5 straight games down the stretch of a season….bottom line….

my neck hurts from watching cody eppley give up another blast, lucky he is a groundball pitcher…….

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Holy living fuck. I agree with about 48% of this.

• jjyank says:

Ha yeah, I had prepared a response in my head after the first paragraph along the lines of “OMG I kinda agree with stuart!!”

But then he went on to his usual schtick and lost me.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

CC hasn’t pitched like an ace in a while. At this point, yeah, this has been his worst season in a good long while. We act like he can’t rebound in 2013.

• jjyank says:

For sure, he’s been underwhelming. It sucks. But I don’t think he’s done yet either.

I had a thought about that. Last night’s broadcast on MLBN, the announcers talking a bit about all the career innings catching up with CC might be causing the velocity drop. Maybe he’s just struggling to adjust his style. Plenty of pitchers (Mussina jumps to mind) have altered their pitching style to account for not having an overpowering fastball. I think CC has the secondary pitches to do that. We’ll see next year.

• Kosmo says:

50-50 ? CC might have reached his peak . We´ll see. How many more years left on that ridiculous contract?

• Bo Knows says:

What 2B is anywhere close to what Cano is right now, how many prospects even have a ceiling approaching what he is? His year has been disappointing by his standards but he is still hitting for power, he’s walking 9% of the time (the highest of his career) and playing great defense. Cano is the biggest offender to why the team has struggled but this team will be far worse without him.

Also CC is an Ace, his track record and everything he has done for this team screams he is an ACE; one bad year due to injuries does not negate that.

One last thing, where do these hypothetical Stud OF, and Good Young 2B come from? good power, high average hitting/fielding 2B are rare (Cano, the Imp). Even if a team had one, they aren’t giving him up.

16. Chris says:

Eh I dunno. To me it is not Girardi’s fault with how many injuries there are/were. BUT you have to ask yourself if he has done the job with what he has been dealt with. To me I say no. I’m sorry opting for a Steve Pearce in the lineup over Ichiro really bothers me. Against starting LHP this year, Ichiro is batting .274. Pearce is batting what? .240? Play Swisher at 1st and let Ichiro play RF. I think Joe has been way too caught up in this race with Lefty vs Righty and vis versa. To me it could be costing us games. Let the best players play instead of running out Jones and Pearce every time there is a lefty on the hill. Is that enough to get fired? NOt sure.

• bring buck back says:

Girardi makes tons of bad decisions, Pearce-love among them. But one thing he DOESN’T need to do is “Play Ichiro more”. Ichiro is terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. With runners on base he is practically a guaranteed DP/Fielder’s Choice because he does not know how to get the ball out of the infield. He also doesn’t know how to walk. (Literally. He doesn’t know how to walk — watch him.)

• jjyank says:

I agree that McGehee should be playing more than Pearce, but seriously dude, it’s not like he’s keeping our season savior on the bench. The non-injured active roster is just thin as hell. Who is Girardi supposed to be playing with Tex out? You could move Swisher to first, but then we’re talking about more Ibanez, Jones, and Ichiro.

17. handtius says:

People just want someone to blame when shit goes wrong. Perfect inverse example is the O’s. Buck is getting praised for a great job, when his team has a negative run diff. Is he really such a fantastic manager or is his team oddly lucky, like the Diamondbacks the other year?

Baseball is one of the few sports that is heavily influenced by luck. Baseball players can’t hit a ball where they want, like a quarterback laying a pass into a receivers hands. It doesn’t work that way.

Someone made the comment yesterday that the Yankees aren’t driving the ball when there’s risp. Well, Elliot Johnson’s run scoring hit wasn’t scolded, but it lckily, for the Rays, squeezed through two defenders, where Arod and Cano’s were stopped by a fantastic defensive play.

Don’t blame the manager.

• Pat D says:

They’re 27-8 in 1-run games. That’s luck because I think that’s an all time great record in those situations.

• handtius says:

Agreed. If you cut that down to the ave, closer to 50/50, how many games back are they? They’re behind the Rays, 7-10 games out? I don’t know the math, but they’re not even smelling the playoffs if they don’t get so lucky.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I still believe it’s largely luck. It’s unfortunate that the run differential didn’t correct quickly enough, but luck doesn’t have a specific shelf life. This one has a long life, apparently. I still don’t consider the O’s a significant AL East threat in the coming years (yet).

• Pat D says:

For the O’s, it depends on if Tillman and Britton continue to pitch well, if Matusz can figure it out, if Machado and Bundy end up being as good as they’re supposed to be, if Jones remains consistently good, and finding a few better players.

Lots of ifs. I’d bet on them falling back to 3rd or 4th place next year.

• jjyank says:

Right, that’s why I threw the “yet” caveat on the end there. It’s possible they’ll be good going forward. But like you said, too many ifs right now for me to be convinced.

• Pat D says:

The Yankees are 18-22 in 1-run games.

The next best winning percentage in 1-run games this year is the Braves, who are 22-11. Even if you just knocked the Orioles down to that, they’d be about even with the Rays, 3-4 games back.

• handtius says:

That’s amazing. Knock em back to even and they’re way out of it. We could sure use some of that luck. Maybe a voodoo curse would work? sacrifice a sewer rat or something?

• Pat D says:

They need to go the Major League route and sacrifice a live chicken. Or if that would gross out the clubhouse, a bucket of KFC.

• DT says:

A horseshoe up their asses i swear. They get a one run win against us when the game end prematurely thanks to meals. Then i watched the last tampa game and they won on a pop up to ni man’s land.

18. Dicka24 says:

I think Cashman is on more of a hot seat than Girardi is.

19. Athenian says:

Firing Girardi – while personally wouldn’t mind – may not be the answer but firing Cashman would be the answer. As much as i like Cashman, I think he has done a poor job of late with trades and roster construction. The only caveat is not knowing who is pulling the trigger on the large contracts that the Yankees have laid out over the past few years. The return on those contracts has not even been 10% – considering how streaky some of the players have been and then fail to show up during the post season; which let be honest IS the reason you are on this team.

That said, I firmly believe the fundamentals that Cashman speaks about are not really practiced. The construction of the bench has been poor the past two years, regardless of “Aaron Small” moments that have occurred. The lineup itself has not been constructed well – and the is where Joe is to blame, making adjustments to that line up, IF IF IF Winning is the end game – containing players with historically higher on base numbers which has been traded for higher strikeouts.

Assuming that neither is fired, how can they in good conscience resign players like Granderson or even Swisher and consider the 10 year contract to Cano (Boras’ words). The positives that the farm system alone have had are all but gone and retain only marginal players – knowing that anyone above marginal is really trade bait for the older aging veteran.

The formula is broken and needs to be repaired but unfortunately for the Yankee fans, the solution will be throwing more money at more aging players being rewarded for past performance that will never surface again – ARod, CC, Tex, Burnett, as examples.

• nsalem says:

I would do the 2009 signings all over again and still belief those signings can bring us to more rings.
      Writing off CC and even Tex (even with his reduced BA and OBP0 is quite premature

• dp says:

If the Yankees didn’t sign those free agents after 08 Trout would be a Yankee. The real question is if Trout were a Yankee would Girardi play him?

20. nsalem says:

I don’t think anybody should be fired. I blame the Yankee ‘s underachieving ways to the all or nothing mindset that has seem to taken over most of our offense save for Derek Jeter. Most of the players responsible for the RISP fail for some reason have grossly underachieved in this category in 2012. If this type of performance carries into 2013 management has to decide whether it’s the players, the managers or the hitting coach who is responsible for this lack of production. At that point heads should roll. I don’t think that the total abandonment to the concept of situational hitting is conducive to winning baseball games. It is also a very boring product to watch.

21. JobaWockeeZ says:

I’d rather have him gone but it’s whatever. It’s inexcusable to blow a 10 game lead but it’s also terrible to being in Ichiro as your only reinforcement.

• jjyank says:

And to have so many key players miss significant time. I mean seriously, look at the line ups Girardi has had to trot out there lately. There was a large stretch where the line up after Cano was a pure AAAA squad. Who was he supposed to play?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Injuries aren’t an excuse. The Red Sox suffered major injuries for 3 years now and everyone calls them a joke. I’ll agree with that but it’s a two way street and the Yankees also apply.

Since everyone always thinks they’re going to win 100 games, a couple of injuries should still make them a competitive team compared to the average teams out there.

They don’t look competitive at all.

• Pat D says:

I’m not entirely sure why you say “everyone always thinks they’re going to win 100 games” since that’s not something you can ever assume will happen.

• jjyank says:

A few injuries aren’t an excuse. A lot of them are certainly an excuse. If you’re consistently putting our a line up significantly lesser than the opening day squad, how is that not a reason for why they’re playing poorly?

• Get Phelps Up says:

CC, Pineda, Mo, DRob, Gardner, A-Rod, Pettitte, Nova, Romine (forcing Chris Stewart into action), Tex and Swisher =/= “a couple of injuries”

• DT says:

Red Sox with injuries this year are a last place team even before the trade. Last year they blew a 9 game lead in one month due to injuries to some key players. So injuries are an excuse. The Yanks are still competing for first despite the injuries. Find me another team that has lost the middle of their lineup, two of their best pitchers for a period, their closer, starting left fielder and a young number 2 type pitcher for the season and still has a chance to win their division.

• Bo Knows says:

Actually yes it is, Injuries decimated the redsox and many people thought it stupid to get rid of Tito. If your being forced to field a AAA team in the MLB, your not going to win many games, it’s what happened to Boston (before they punted the season) it’s what’s happening to the Yankees when they lost

Pineda (#2 potential co-ace) before he even threw a regular season inning
          Gardner (forcing Jones/Ibanez into the field, killing the overall Defense, along with the running game, and probably more than a few runs due to his speed)
          Mo (no explanation needed)
          Swisher for various portions of the 1st half
          Tex
          Arod
          Andy

And then the loss of Romine, and Banuelos which hurt when the team needed depth to help at least alleviate the pain of losing everyone else

22. DT says:

I’d want Girardi to be fired for poor bullpen managing. He love pitcher match ups, yet does not do shit about hitting match ups. How many times has he left Jones or Ibanez in for a same side hitter? That’s unacceptable. He’s too stuck on certain players like Jones, Pearce and Ibanez despite the fact that they have not preformed of late, rather than give guys like Dickerson or even McGhee some playing time. For all the numbers he has in his binder, he still hasn’t figure out that Cano has been terrible versus lefties this year and should not bat clean up.

Oh yea he love playing Ibanez in the field after pinch hitting for whatever reason. He also gives up too easily in games and throws out relievers who should not even be pitching in close games. I never thought he was a good manager even when the team was winning games.

Do i want Girardi fired? Hell yes, i rather have Francona over him. Going by Beyond the Boxscore, they said Girardi is above average in terms of use of traditional managing tools such as the IBB and sac bunts. While Francona came in last. But will Girardi be fired? I doubt it. With the injuries and slump the team has, the FO will give him a pass.

• Herby says:

I’ve never considered Girardi a great manager…average at best…look a the Yankees record in one run games, or extra innings and you see a pattern..with all the pitching match ups by the time they get to extra innings you’re relying on DeWayne Wise to save the game…who should still be with the team. He just misses playing too much and over-manages to compensate. Gotta step on the field…gotta step on the field….gotta step on the field…as he drools on his way to the mound…

23. Austinmac says:

The one responsible for this mess is Cashman who left Girardi to play Pearce, Nix, McGehee, Ibanez, Jones, Eppley, Rapada and that ilk. Look at the line up options Girardi has. Look at the bullpen options. Awful.

24. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Girardi is too tightly wound but doesn’t deserve to be fired.

Cashman on the other hand should be shown the door not for one season during which the Yankees had an overwhelming number of injuries but for the overall poor shape of the organization which is on the verge of becoming a fringe playoff contender until 2015 or 2016 when the next group of core prospects (hopefully) reach NY.

I really would have liked to see Jeter, Mo and Pettitte win one more championship but I think that’s pretty unlikely at this point.

25. Jose M. Vazquez says:

Whoa Nelly! I believe we are still tied for first place in the AL east or not. I think that we have fallen as low as we can go and there is no other way but up from here on.

26. IronHorse says:

I cant believe some of you guys havent been offered jobs in MLB.Do you really think your smarter then Girardi and Cashman? Forum Warriors

27. River Ave Bipolar Disorder says:

Whole lotta stupid in this post and the ensuing comments. “Media and fans whining, gossiping, and speculating” is not the same as “Girardi’s job security in question.”

And all this debate over a team that’s held–and continues to hold–a piece of first for most of the season despite ridiculous key injuries.

You spoiled brats sound more and more like Red Sox fans every day.

28. CS Yankee says:

Girardi is too loyal to the vets (ala Torre) and the “armed” mid-inning matchups of EpRaLogan…I’m so tired of seeing Jones & Raul.

Most new callups get in the games right away…why have Mesa only eat meals with the team and only play Dickerson a half inning in every other day.

Also think the combo of his father’s illness and being protective of the family tax him in Chicago. The Heyman deal smells bad as he is a Levine/Boras/Hank bitch hack with an attitude that Girardi has to put up with.

Don’t think Joe needs to be fired…just re-focused.

29. Sterling says:

Cashman should go away. It’s not Girardi’s fault.

30. RetroRob says:

Nothing about the way the current front office operates indicates they’re reactionary. They’ll assess why the team became mediocre and then they’ll go about addressing it. Unless they believe Girardi is the problem, he will remain.

31. DUgan says:

Joe must Go!! If the boss were still alive Cashman,Girardi&Long would have been gone long ago.It is a debacle!!!Wake-up Hal!!!

32. DUgan says:

A Major Collapse! Hal,tell Girardi and Cashman to clean out their desks!!

33. gehrig27 says:

What about Cashman? He is the real responsible for assembling this dysfunctional team….

• RetroRob says:

You mean the one in first place?

I think you’ll get your chance to vote on Cashman tomorrow, judging by Mike’s comment above.

34. the only hughes fan left says:

Uhm guys we are in first place!!! Just thought I would say that.