Sep

Rain Out Fun: Old Yankee Stadium photos

Yankee Stadium in the foreground, the Polo Grounds in the background. Click for larger.

There are few things about baseball that I love more than the history, especially old photos of the Yankees and Yankee Stadium. The photo you see about comes courtesy of (the ironically named) Stuff Nobody Cares About, which also has plenty of other old photos of the Stadium. Some are even high resolution and in color, which is always neat. Needless to say, the entire gallery gets RAB’s highest level of recommendation, so make sure you check it out.

[h/t Craig Calcaterra and Alex Belth]

Categories : Yankee Stadium

1. Erica says:

I can never, ever tire of gazing at old photos of Old YS. Thanks for this, Mike.

And that is a simply gorgeous photo up there!

2. RetroRob says:

I wonder what year that’s from? Certainly provides a different perspective and to see just how close the Polo Grounds were to Yankee Stadium, at least as the bird flys.

I miss seeing the Bronx Courthouse in the background at the new Stadium.

• Erica says:

The Bronx Courthouse! Oh, yes.

You know what’s wonderful about that picture up above? NO. TRAFFIC. I am almost foaming at the mouth, thinking about how great it would be to drive in circles there.

I think the website stated that the photo was from after the 1957 season?

• Rich in NJ says:

Yeah, it must have been amazing to have two ballparks right across the river from one another.

3. David N says:

It’s seriously weird how there is so much empty land around the stadium in those 1923 photos.

4. Get Phelps Up says:

I wish I got to experience the 1923-1973 Yankee Stadium.

5. forensic says:

Guess I’ll survive with the one photo. Bitdefender says that website has malware…

• RetroRob says:

Interesting. I have two security systems on my computer and neither flagged it.

I once got a security warning about RAB, which of course was nonsense. Every once in a while you got false positives.

6. dkidd says:

crazy how much foul territory there is behind home plate in the 1943 series pic

7. Kosmo says:

The old horse shoe. I remember coming into NY from Connecticut for a Yankee game in 1964(?) and a wrecking ball was ripping into the Polo Grounds. BTW Ford pitched a shutout that day.

8. MannyGeee says:

that was pretty pretty pretty pretty god….

9. Squints says:

Thanks for the link to those awesome photos of the real Yankee Stadium. They described the new stadium the best I could a “glorified shopping mall”. For any real baseball fan or Yankee fan the new place is a joke and a monument to consumerism not baseball and certainly not Yankee tradition. I wish they would have renovated the old place, but that wouldnt involve making a metric ton of money and drawing in fake corporate fan and wall st and upper east siders not real baseball fan. I miss the old stadium and am ashamed as a baseball and Yankee fan they got rid of the old place. I hate the red sox but at least their owner respect the game and tradition.

• KatiePO says:

“a monument to consumerism not baseball”

That’s the best description of the new YS.

• B.P. says:

Squints,
      As the writer of the Yankee Stadium article on the web site – I echo your sentiments and wonder how many people feel the same way.

Thanks to Mike Axisa for posting the link to my site.

• Squints says:

Thats the place where i fell in love with the Yankees, hearing Bob Sheppard, picturing Mickey belting a homerun, Joe D. covering the outfield, or Jackie Robinson stealing home. Of course many great Yankees roamed the grounds but thats also where the Brooklyn Dodgers won their first and only World Series, and many other baseball legends played their. I cant imagine how cool it wouldve have been to have been there to watch those great Yankee teams. I think any Yankee fans who have been their feel the same way but its a shame the new generation will never experience that aura and history.