Sep

Yankees recall Melky Mesa from Triple-A

The Yankees have recalled outfielder Melky Mesa, the team announced. Triple-A Empire State was eliminated from the playoffs over the weekend, plus Mesa is already on the 40-man roster. With Mark Teixeira out for another two weeks, the move gives the Yankees another right-handed bat to play the outfield while Nick Swisher fills in at first.

Mesa, 25, posted a 130 wRC+ while repeating Double-A this season. He earned a late-season promotion to Triple-A and clubbed nine homers in just 33 games. I’ve always likened Melky 2.0 to Greg Golson, meaning a speedy defensive outfielder with a cannon arm and lots of strikeout potential, though he has far more power to offer — Mesa’s hit at least 19 homers in three of the last four years, including 23 this year. I don’t think we’ll see much of him down the stretch in something other than a defensive-replacement/pinch-hitting capacity unless the Yankees blow things open soon and take a big division lead.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. blake says:

If only Mesa could hit LH pitching as good as Jonesy……

2. CS Yankee says:

To think they could of had the best sounding OF trio of…
    Melk-Zo-Melk

Although it would have played like an Astros outfield, it could have been the best thing since “Who’s on first”?

3. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

I’m really looking forward to seeing him in the bigs. True outcomes FTW.

4. FIPster Doofus says:

I’d rather see Mustelier. Too bad he’s not on the 40.

5. pat says:

I’ll gladly trade any one of his other tools for a hit tool.

6. Chief Wahoo says:

Has anyone been able to come across a instructs or parallel league roster for this fall?

7. IWannaBeAHirokstar says:

THAT’S THE MELKY MESA WAYSA!!!!

8. Will says:

Why not play him instead of Andrew Jonnes?

9. herby says:

Only way you see him in any significant action is if Andrew Jones goes down and Bobby Murcer can’t be resurrected(they are going to try to sign him next year though).

10. JScott says:

Gerald Williams is the guy with whom I’ve been comparing Mesa. Very toolsy outfielder who struck out a lot, didn’t make his Major League debut until his 25 year-old season. Williams’ career Minor League OPS was .737; Melky’s is at .805.

I suspect that Mesa’s career will be similar to Gerald’s. Never really able to establish himself as a full-time regular but proving useful enough to have a pensionable Major League career.

• kenthadley says:

I think Mesa has more power and speed than GWilliams….he has improved every year, which is a plus…still not enough contact, but if he can continue to improve he can be a Nick Swisher with speed type, .250 ba with some pop.

• RetroRob says:

I’d like that to be true, but I don’t see it. In order to be a Nick Swisher type he’ll need to show much greater command of the strikezone than he’s demonstrated so far to generate walks. He does not have this ability and it’s not something that can be developed, especially on a hitter already in his mid-20s. A player either has it or he doesn’t. If he does he can enhance it, but if he doesn’t there is nothing to enhance, and that is Melky Mesa when it comes to on base skills.

I don’t see him being much more than a .230/.310 OBP guy, and maybe even lower, with tons of strikeouts (150+ range if he played enough) and moderate power. A long way from Swisher. What he can do better than Swish is run and play defense, which has its value when used properly.

Regarding Gerald Williams, he remains probably one of the best athletes to come through the Yankees system in a long time. I’d have to see more of Mesa, but I doubt he’s a better defender or runner. Gerald with all his flaws as a hitter wasa able to stick around until his late 30s. I don’t see that for Melky 2.0.

11. JScott says:

Well, I got the numbers wrong. Melky’s .805 OPS is just for this year, split between Trenton and the Vagabonds. Gerald’s OPS the year he made his MajLg debut was .786, all in AAA.

12. Preston says:

I don’t think he’s ready for the bigs, and he probably won’t ever be an everyday player. But he’s got a lot of tools and he’ll be fun to see.

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

THE MELKMAN DELIVERS!

14. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

Gerald ‘Ice’ Williams had the tightest pants in the league.

15. yankee blue says:

they should have called up Luke Murtons. he plays ist base and he has a lot of pop in his bat.

16. Samuel says:

Gotta love it! Bring up a young, talented OF with speed to sit on the bench and watch Andruw Jones make tons of outs and look lazy in the outfield.

17. JohnC says:

What has Jones done lately except strikout or pop out? Put mesa in there. Give him a few at bats. How much could it hurt?