Oct

AL Wildcard Play-In Game Thread

(AP)

Remember back in 2009, when the Yankees finished with the best record in the AL but had to wait until the Twins and Tigers played Game 163 before they knew who they would play in the ALDS? This wildcard play-in game is kinda like that. The Yankees again finished with the best record in the league this year, but tonight’s game will determine their opponent come Game One of ALDS on Sunday night. It’ll also tell them where they’re traveling tomorrow since they open on the road.

Based on this morning’s poll, the vast majority of RAB readers would prefer to see the Yankees face the Orioles in the ALDS. On today’s podcast, both Joe and I said we’d rather see the Rangers advance to the ALDS. I don’t think there’s a right answer here, both Texas and Baltimore are good teams and will be a tough matchup in a best-of-five series. Either way, we should all be rooting for about 20 innings tonight. Here are the lineups…

Baltimore Orioles
LF Nate McLouth
SS J.J. Hardy
RF Chris Davis
CF Adam Jones
C  Matt Wieters
DH Jim Thome
1B Mark Reynolds
2B Ryan Flaherty
3B Manny Machado

LHP Joe Saunders (9-13, 4.07)

Texas Rangers
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Elvis Andrus
LF Josh Hamilton
3B Adrian Beltre
RF Nelson Cruz
1B Michael Young
DH Mike Napoli
C  Geovany Soto
CF Craig Gentry

RHP Yu Darvish (16-9, 3.90)

Tonight’s game is scheduled to start at 8:37pm ET and can be seen on TBS. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads, Playoffs

1. Professor Longnose says:

Anyone regret Yankees not going after Darvish?

2. Bo Knows says:

first pitch of the game leads to an error (and as I’m typing this, the catcher throws the ball into CF) has the entire postseason robbed everyone (that includes umpires) of the ability of how to do their jobs?

3. Get Phelps Up says:

Worst announcers ever?

4. CountryClub says:

I disagree with the people who want these WC games to be best of 3. But what happened in braves gm could actually change things.

5. Nick says:

Michael young making his presence felt early

6. Stratman9652 says:

where is everyone see the game? I’ve got post game on TBS.

7. jjyank says:

I’m confused…I’m watching TBS, but they’re still doing post game for the NL game? What am I doing wrong?

8. David N says:

Game’s starting on TNT, will move over to TBS eventually.

9. Kramerica Industries says:

Anyone still find it totally insane how the Orioles only got better, the more injuries they sustained?

Seriously, Hammel was re-injured and Markakis as well against the Yankees, and they went on as if nothing happened. Sickening, actually.

10. jjyank says:

So who do we want to win? I am completely undecided, though today’s podcast has me leaning Rangers. Still, the line up scares me more than the O’s. Who wants to convince me one way or another?

• vicki says:

october yanks can beat either team.

• Anthony says:

I really want Texas. It sounds crazy. And its probably mostly because they’ve pissed me off so much this season. But from what I hear the Texas rotation isn’t that strong, and they’ve lost like what, 9 of their last 13?

• jjyank says:

It’s not crazy, it’s a legit stance. They’re burning Darvish tonight, so he can only pitch once. The rest of their rotation outside of Harrison is pretty “meh”. And has Harrison ever pitched on short rest before? I dunno. But the line up is what has me stopping short of full-on rooting for the O’s.

• Anthony says:

Yea, totally agree – Texas is supposed to be the best offense in baseball. Its like Tex said, be careful what you wish for. But the O’s have messed with me so much that I just can’t help root for the rangers, lol.

• Get Phelps Up says:

The Rangers offense wasn’t so good in the last week or so fwiw. We’ll only have to split in Texas for me to feel really good about our chances.

• Anthony says:

Yea, you’re absolutely right. I would say they were just swept by the A’s (to demonstrate just how BAD the Rangers have been), but in light of recent events… it might be more that the A’s are just that good.

Either way, they’ve lost 9 out of 13 like I mentioned up above. I’ll take my chances with a subpar Texas.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Mark Reynolds.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Rangers just because I fucking hate the Orioles and want them out as soon as possible.

• jjyank says:

Fair enough. I’m sick of their fans already, being in the general area. Thank Mo the Nats are good this year, or I would imagine the O’s fans would really be coming out of the woodwork.

• Anthony says:

I’m basically in the same boat as you. Texas offense aside, I just REALLY want them out. They’re just so unpredictable and have messed with our heads too much this season.

11. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Protest denied already. Unsurprisingly.

12. The Real Greg says:

Hearing that you can call the infield fly rule on an outfielder. It has to do with the ease of the play rather than the location of it.

• Professor Longnose says:

On an outfielder if he is stationed in the infield.

• The Real Greg says:

MLB Network Radio
        Former Umpire Supervisor Jim McKean also told our @MikeFerrinSXM – ” It was the proper call, even if the signal was a touch late.”

• Professor Longnose says:

It was the proper call and the guy didn’t come within 5 feet of the ball? He couldn’t have turned a double play even if he intentionally wanted to drop the ball.

• The Real Greg says:

Also Paul White of USA Today is saying it was a good call. Here’s what he says.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder — not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder.

Watch replays closely and you’ll see that Holbrook, the left field umpire, watches as shortstop Pete Kozma backpedals into left field. As soon as Kozma waves his arms to communicate that he’s ready to catch the ball, Holbrook’s raises his arm to signal an infield fly.

In other words, the umpire waits until he’s certain it’s a play the infielder can make. Kozma apparently thought it was a play he could make.

Whatever caused him to suddenly peel off – was it when, amidst the stadium noise, Holbrook accompanied his signal with a verbal call of “infield fly?” – Kozma suddenly changed direction, as infielder as taught to do when they believe they hear the outfielder calling that he can make the catch.

• CUYanks says:

This is just a case of umpires sticking together. The spirit of the rule is to prevent double and triple plays being turned. The rule should NEVER be called if this type of thing is not a possibility, as was the case here.

• pistol pete says:

Absurd, the ump made a poor judgment call, period. The key word is judgment, the intent is to prevent the double play which was not even remotly possible, absurd absurd comment, it was a horrible call and I’ve been a basketball official at the varsity level for 35 years and always side with officials when reasonable. The bottom line is officials make bad calls, it happens and it happened here, just admit it.

• CUYanks says:

Jim McKean has lost all credibility in my eyes.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

In fairness, he didn’t come within five feet because he moved out of the way. He was in position to field it until he thought he was called off and moved. I agree he likely couldn’t have turned the double play, but that isn’t a condition for the call in the rule.

• Professor Longnose says:

It’s all judgement, so there’s really nothing you can do, but the whole point of the rule is to stop double plays. If the rule as written really does allow calls to be made when no DP is possible, the rule needs to be rewritten.

• pistol pete says:

It’s all about judgment not the letter of the rules, that’s why the best umps get the playoffs not because they know the rules best but because they have the best judgment. He made a bad call and has to live with it, defending it is absurd. At this level the best umps get the games not the ones that can read the rulebook best. It proves that even the best umps make bad judgment calls and it happened here, period.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Word. This pretty much sums it up. Making that play in no-man’s land between the OF and IF, in a sudden-death playoff game with the home team screaming as loud as hell, is not what any reasonable ump would call “ordinary.” Just own the bad call dude. It’s either the Blue Wall of Silence or there is something in their CBA against badmouthing Selig.

• Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

A touch late? It’s supposed to be called right away. That ump waited until the SS was moving away from the ball before he put his arm up. The call itself wasn’t that bad as the SS could have caught it but it was called WAY late, not a touch late.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

It’s supposed to be called immediately when it is apparent that it will be called an Infield Fly. It wasn’t apparent until the SS settled under the ball and called for it (if it ever should have been called at all).

• jim p says:

If he had called it a ground-rule double, I bet it would still stand. There needs to be a higher authority or something that can fix, on the spot, an obvious mistake when the umpires make it.

• pistol pete says:

McKean is covering up, letter of the law maybe a stretch, but judgment is the issue and Halbrook used poor judgment, period. I’m friends with Jim Burr a top NCAA basketball official for 30 yrs at Division 1,16 Final Fours, 5 Final games. I remember a piece of advise he gave me about odd calls or calls late in games. He said, they’ll never remember the call you didn’t make. Think about that, would anyone be crying about that call if Holbrook had the courage to see the whole play through and leave his whistle in his mouth, the answer is nobody wouldn’t even know why there would be a complaint. So for all of you including the umps that thought that massacre was the right call think of it that way. Had he called nothing nobody’s talking about anything, and that’s a fact.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

It can be anywhere in fair territory, but it has to be judged to be ordinarily and easily able to be fielded by an infielder.

• vicki says:

if it’s a judgement call the hangtime has to be taken into account. the rule exists to keep fielders from turning double plays on easy flyballs. in a million years koz couldn’t have let that drop then turned two.

• David N says:

You can call it on an outfielder if it’s a routine play for an infielder. I’m not convinced that was a routine play for the shortstop. And you’re supposed to call it promptly, not when the fielder has started to give up on the ball.

13. Get Phelps Up says:

Could Hammel have started today for the Orioles?

14. Professor Longnose says:

Wow, Hamilton looks terrible.

15. Kramerica Industries says:

Hamilton continues to not really get the job done.

16. Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

Will Saunders make it through the lineup twice? Buck better have that pen ready.

17. Buck you says:

Lets go fighting showalters

18. dkidd says:

why is sam waterson doing the play-by-play?

19. jjyank says:

I’m not one to root for injuries…but if the O’s ended up winning, it wouldn’t be terrible if Reynolds was out.

20. The Real Greg says:

Mark Reynolds stealing bases?

• jjyank says:

I thought he might have been out, actually. It was close as hell, given where the tag was applied. Hard to tell though, apparently TBS doesn’t believe in freeze cams.

Also, I was pouring myself another drink, so I may have missed something.

21. Captain_Turbo says:

Just found out about the postseason package on mlb.tv… coolness.

• CUYanks says:

I have heard it’s pretty bad because they don’t show the real game video with commentary, just random camera angles, but I could be wrong.

22. Buck you says:

So what inning does tex explode for 6?

23. Buck you says:

Os are going to lose
    They aren’t wearing the bird? That bird is lucky.

24. CountryClub says:

Bowden says protest already denied. Heyman says no decision made yet. Haha

25. Buck you says:

Naa poo leee oh he struck out.

26. The Real Greg says:

Saunders taking advantage of the Rangers’ agressiveness

27. vicki says:

good lord, they have IT again.

28. Rocky Road Redemption says:

What horrible thing occurred in the St. Louis-Atlanta game?

29. David N says:

Well that was an easy inning.

Come on, Fighting Bucks, get his pitch count up!

30. The Real Greg says:

What is that? 5 errors today?

31. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Fuck the Orioles. I don’t really buy playoff matchups, so I just want the Orioles out, because I REALLY hate those fuckers.

• JLC 776 says:

I’m sick of about twenty of my friends posting a picture of an angry looking Buck Showalter after every. single. Orioles win.

• David N says:

I don’t care for the Orioles, but I also don’t want to see Ron Washington doing his impression of a guy who should have gone to the bathroom two hours ago any more than absolutely necessary.

32. Pat D says:

So did I just hear John Smoltz refer to Mark Reynolds as a “good fielder” overall?

33. Bo Knows says:

Between the NLWC and this game, this night has been some of sloppiest baseball I’ve seen this year, if last year’s game 163 was the most exciting baseball night, this is the least well played

34. Get Phelps Up says:

I will say, one reason to root for the Orioles is so we don’t have to see a shot of Ron Washington’s antics every 15 seconds.

• jjyank says:

Or camera pans to Nolan Ryan’s scowls.

• Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

JJ:

Nice win on the Bobby Valentine bet, speaking of teams that won’t be playing any further into October… we need to connect off-RAB so we can set up my paying off…

I really, really would have sworn gutting the team was a precursor to letting Valentine make it over in his own image.

You can’t predict baseball.

Now that the Jerry Meals game has proven not to have a major effect on the Yankees’ postseason aspirations, can we start thinking of it as the game in which the Orioles lost Nick Markakis?

Rah, rah, lesser of the two teams playing tonight.

• jjyank says:

Haha! I totally got your logic, I just really thought a bigger head would roll. Just too much controversy there, I guess the big trade was just step one of blowing the whole thing up.

If you wanna connect off RAB, you can hit up my email: jlemoine@gmx.com

I don’t mind throwing it out there. I’ll just block the shit out of unwanted emailers. I look forward to that beer :)

• Get Phelps Up says:

Well, I’m fine with those because it would mean that the Yankees are winning. Like after that great comeback in game 1 in 2010.

35. Buck you says:

Hard to watch this game
    I hate both these teams

36. Kramerica Industries says:

I just realized we’re going to deal with the worst PxP announcer in the playoffs (EJ) and the worst TBS analyst of the playoffs (Smoltz) for the third straight year.

Gee, I’m excited now…

37. Buck you says:

Wicked splitter come on birds hammer the soft stuff.

38. Buck you says:

Slowest guy on the team or its two.

39. David N says:

#toomanypopups

40. CUYanks says:

We definitely don’t want this to be a crisp, quick game. Slow it down guys! Walk more guys! Hit more batters!

41. Brandon says:

Did anyone else notice Chipper Jones not run out his last at bat? I haven’t see him play much recently but I doubt he’s that slow.

42. Pat D says:

Oh, jeez, here comes the Michael Young dick-sucking.

43. Brandon says:

• Pat D says:

Yea, he must have figured he was out. Very strange. Perhaps the actions of his fans just upset him.

• jjyank says:

It was pretty disgusting. Not Chipper, the fans. I mean, I get that they thought it was a really shitty call. I would have been pissed too. But all that shit on the field….I’ve never seen that before in my life. Unacceptable.

• ArchStanton says:

You ever see what Yankee fans did after Don Mattingly hit his one and only home run in the playoffs? Piniella had to pull the Mariners off the field twice!

• jjyank says:

Just a bit before my time. I’m 24, so not so young. But Donnie Baseball’s last year is one or two removed from my baseball consciousness.

• ArchStanton says:

It was pretty funny, truth be told.

• JLC 776 says:

Just read through the play-by-play sometime and try to imagine it. This was the first playoff game for many of us in our lifetime that we could really appreciate. Imagine living and dying with every pitch and watching a guy like Mattingly, who was the sole heart of the team for so many terrible years, finally getting his chance.

And then multiply those feelings by a thousand or so. That was that game.

And I was showered by beer in my right field seats that night!

• Buck you says:

The reggie candy bar game comes to mind also. 30.000 fans throw candy bars all over the field.

• dkidd says:

can’t remember who it was, but the tv guy made a great call on that homer. something like “hold into the roof!!!”

• vicki says:

don’t forget ruben sierra!

it was definitely bad behavior. but that night was magic.

oh, and jim leyritz!

• VT Yankee Fan says:

That was typical behavior in the 70s. Yankee fans would pelt change at Reggie in right field every game.

• ArchStanton says:

I was wondering about that too. Reminded me a bit of Joe Montana sliding on either his last play or one of his last plays when he could’ve taken the hit and likely would’ve earned a first down.

44. Buck you says:

Who had 4th inning as the blowout inning?

45. Buck you says:

Kei igawa
    The reason yankees didnt go after Darvish hard.

46. CUYanks says:

I think one thing we might all be able to agree on is that none of these managers are outside-the-box enough to truly optimally manage this type of winner-take-all game.

47. dkidd says:

i’m calling it: 2-1 orioles in 15 innings

/dreaming

48. Kramerica Industries says:

How the hell has Saunders lasted this far without imploding?

49. The Real Greg says:

The Rangers are playing right into the Orioles’ hands.

50. dkidd says:

the rangers know in their hearts they’re going to lose by 1 run

51. Kramerica Industries says:

And now, here come the Orioles.

52. Buck you says:

Nice any chance we see some small ball here.

53. Get Phelps Up says:

Darvish hurt? Go Rangers.

54. jjyank says:

Okay, now I’m rooting for the Rangers (to score one run). I decided that I can’t decide. I am rooting exclusively for a deep, extra innings game. One that will include hamstring and oblique injuries on both sides.

Nothing major, I’m not a complete dick. Just something to keep the Beltre/Hamilton, Jones/Weiters of the world out of the ALDS.

55. Buck you says:

They toned down craig seegers wardrobe

56. Buck you says:

What a moron let him pitch come on thorme

57. Buck you says:

Wow made thome look bad.

58. David N says:

Damn, that was a beautiful pitch.

59. The Real Greg says:

Buck’s going to have an even quicker hook now that he has the lead.

60. Buck you says:

If they can just get it to johnson

61. Zack says:

The NY writers that are gushing over Buck and how he “knew” Saunders would do well are the sames that would have bashed Girardi for doing the same.
    And I have to say,jsut from what I see..I would rather face the Rangers then the O’s..not only will they be able to line their starters up but the Rangers look like a mess,pitching and offense wise.

62. The Real Greg says:

And here comes O’Day

63. Kramerica Industries says:

Joe Saunders allowing 1 ER in 5.2 innings.

#OriolesMagic

• Zack says:

MOre like Texas showing how they managed to blow their 13 game lead in the first place. They were swinging at everything and anything. Saunders was doing the same thing he did against the Yankees in 09,only he didn’t get away with it there.

• Kramerica Industries says:

He got away with it in Game 2, when he threw, like, 7 innings of 2 run ball.

If the Yankees had lost that game, that would be looked at with disdain for years to come from us. And ARod was the last chance in the 11th, so that was very nearly a probability.

64. Kramerica Industries says:

The Orioles and their magnificent ‘pen are only nine outs away from the real playoffs.

Unreal.

65. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Beltre is good at playing 3B.

66. Buck you says:

You forgot Mike Stanton

67. Zack says:

ANother reason I want to play the Rangers..their pitching rotation won’t be set up the ways the O’s will be.

68. The Real Greg says:

And Ron Washington fails.

69. Get Phelps Up says:

CC would have gotten the out there.

70. Kramerica Industries says:

Nate McLouth.

Could the Orioles have gotten any luckier with that schmuck?

71. Jerry says:

Takes too long to pull the starting pitcher, then goes for a matchup, runner gets to 3rd because of a wild pitch, then run scores. Frustrating to watch and wouldn’t be an issue if the offense actually showed up and did something besides hack at everything.

In other words, feels exactly like a Yankees game.

• jjyank says:

…or, plenty of other team’s games.

• Zack says:

BUck and the O’s have done that as well in the past couple of weeks..one of the reasons why the O’s are in this do or die game.
      I know we were 9-9 with the O’s but we can and should be able to beat them.

72. Buck you says:

3-1 Like it.

73. pistol pete says:

Looks like we’re heading to Baltimore. Hard to believe the Yanks will be on the road after a three day layoff while Baltimore will have its pitching set up and get the home field. MLB is really messed up. This 1 game wild card is a joke. The winner stays hot keeps playing after just a 1 day layoff and plays home, who could have possibly thought that up.

• Yankonymous says:

Maybe people who want to drum up interest in baseball in cities not named New York and Boston.

What better way to sell tickets to a playoff game, right after a dramatic wild card win…

74. The Real Greg says:

To be honest, I would rather the team go to Camden Yards than to Arlington.

75. Kramerica Industries says:

I guess Cal is on TBS top announcing crew, but was it really the brightest idea to have him on an Orioles-Rangers play-in game?

And with the Braves disaster, Smoltz is going to be as bitter as ever.

Yeah, a Yankees-O’s ALDS promises to be fun, from the guys talking on TV.

76. Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

Buck has managed circles around Washington, I just hope he doesn’t do the same to Girardi. Washington is a clown who should be fired. The Os will have their pitching set up. The Yanks play well in Camden Yards so maybe it’s not a bad thing they start there. They just need to take 1 of 2.

77. Get Phelps Up says:

I wonder if they’ll still be the same Yankees crowd at Camden Yards.

• nsalem says:

There’s about 5000 tickets left on stubhub but the prices are very high. I think we will have a presence, but nothing like regular season games before this season when it sometimes seemed like a home game.

78. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Let’s go Rangers!

79. jjyank says:

I was talking about this at work today…who the fuck decided 2-3 was even remotely fair?

The team with “home field advantage” could be potentially playing an elimination game in their first home game. That’s fucking absurd.

• Get Phelps Up says:

The same people who decided to rush this new wild card system instead of expanding replay.

• jjyank says:

Which is also fucking absurd. This is exhibit A for “Bud Selig sucks”.

I understand Mike’s point about him being good for growing the game abroad, but this post season is a joke in the structure. That is unacceptable to me. As far as I’m concerned, make the game, and it’s structure, sound at home. Then worry about expanding abroad.

• Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

Bud did. They should have said, if we have to play till November 5th then so be it because it’s the right and fair thing to do. The good thing is all we have to do is take 1 of 2 and it swings greatly in our favor.

• CS Yankee says:

Really unfair from a business standpoint. The Nats might only get a days rent from having the best record in baseball while the Yanks will only get a days revenue before the ALCS.

• vicki says:

no way washington sweeps the cards.

• CS Yankee says:

Read slower…Cards might sweep them.

• vicki says:

i don’t see that happening either, sir.

• CS Yankee says:

Well, I wanted to use a possibility on how this format can ruin it for the best teams and I couldn’t use the NYY in the sense, now could I.

But, I’m half hoping that it happens so Bud can catch shit for doing this stupid-ass 2-3 format. The other half doesn’t like the Cards and is neutral on the Nats…but to he’ll with Bud, go Cards and get sweeped by either SF or Cinn.

• David N says:

It gets worse. If the Yankees go to 5 games in the DS, there is no off day before the LCS. DS Games 3, 4, and 5 and LCS Games 1 and 2 on five consecutive days. That’ll do wonders for your four-man playoff rotation.

As interesting as this format is, it was stupid to implement it at the last minute like they did. Should have waited so that they could get the TV schedule lined up as well.

• jjyank says:

Absolutely. It angers me to no end that this system was pushed throw for financial reasons, while Selig and Co. doesn’t seem to give a shit about how it affects the game in the short term.

• David N says:

And the ironic thing is: if they hadn’t done it, Texas and Baltimore would still be playing a Game 163, and they wouldn’t have to deal with the infield fly fiasco as that game would never have happened.

• Get Phelps Up says:

And the 94 win Braves wouldn’t have their season go down to one games when worse teams like the Giants and Tigers get free passes.

• jjyank says:

I do like the concept of divisions, but I am slowly but surely moving into the “just seed the entire league” camp.

• Get Phelps Up says:

That’s why I’m hoping that this postseason is filled with bad calls like in the Braves-Cardinals game. (As long as they don’t go against the Yankees, of course!)

• vicki says:

i’ll tell you what new system did for us though, and it’s huge.

no five game series against the tigers. huge.

80. Tom Q says:

So, if this score holds (which it sure looks like it might), I’m thinking:

Yanks get off to a ten-game division lead
    The Orioles charge hard down the stretch, but the Yanks hold them off
    The Yanks then meet the Wild Card Orioles in the playoffs

Deja 1996 vu?

81. Buck you says:

Os pitching Bah Yankees sweep.

82. David N says:

Question: at what point do sideburns stop being sideburns and start being a really weird beard?

83. Rocky Road Redemption says:

The Mysterious Force has really outdone itself tonight.

84. Buck you says:

Rangers down to 6 outs sweet!

85. Monterowasdinero says:

Buck or Bush? Can’t stand either of them but Bush won’t be in Yankee Stadium. More satisfying to beat Buck.

Ichiro will come up big this October.

Book it.

86. Buck you says:

This lines up great
    Beat baltimoe and As or Tigers
    Get to WS
    Beat ?

87. The Real Greg says:

Don’t we have a better record against the O’s at Camden Yards?

88. David N says:

O’Day still in there?

Suits me. Wear him out.

89. Buck you says:

FU Hardy

90. Buck you says:

Where is strope this inning doesnt he set up johnson

91. Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s not too late for an asteroid to hit and wipe out both these teams.

I am so tired of the 2012 Baltimore Orioles.

• jjyank says:

Well, look who it is. You showed up before enough Bacardi entered my system to put me to sleep. I am impressed.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hahaha.

Actually got out to dinner and drinks tonight. That’s what happens when you actually have other family around.

• jjyank says:

Fair enough. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

For me..this is what happens when the only person you know in the city you live in outside your coworkers is your ex-girlfriend. So…Bacardi and Baseball it is!

I’m not complaining. It’s fun watching do-or-die games as a neutral fan.

92. Kramerica Industries says:

Uh oh. Is #OriolesMagic starting to sputter a bit?

93. Buck you says:

Is the horse shoe slipping out of Showalters ass?

94. Captain_Turbo says:

Hard to know who to root for. I don’t like either team.

95. Buck you says:

4 outs away

96. The Real Greg says:

Could be the last at bat for Hamilton as a Ranger

97. Hall and Nokes says:

Will Hamilton swing at the first pitch? Has he looked at a pitch yet?

98. Buck you says:

Enjoy your winter vacation hamilton lol

99. Kramerica Industries says:

Three pitches, three strikes.

Gotta wonder if that’s how Josh Hamilton’s Rangers career ends.

100. The Real Greg says:

Hamilton looked like he wanted to get out of there. No passion or care in that at bat

101. Buck you says:

Johnson to close it out ron washington in tears coming up

102. oldmanalex says:

all this orioles magic is starting to scare me. it seems like the team is overachieving. Yankees rarely fare too well against overachieving teams with lots of momentum.

103. Anthony says:

I just have such an irrational hatred of the Orioles…. you’d think even a slumping offense could take care of Baltimore. Ugh.

104. Buck you says:

Eat a shitburger dallas er ranger fans

105. Buck you says:

With Nix making the roster i wonder if Nunez will DH against lefties?

106. Buck you says:

Where are the close ups of Nolan Ryan this game?

107. The Real Greg says:

Joe Nathan struggling in the postseason. I am stunned

108. David N says:

“Most closers get it done with two pitches”

But the best get it done with one.

109. vicki says:

magic, schmagic. this is good for us.

110. Buck you says:

Unless girardi totally shit the bed
    We should beat baltimore in three or four.

111. CS Yankee says:

Why not a PR for Thome? Insurance runs FTW at this point.

112. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d give a testicle and a half for Texas to tie this up in the ninth, then win this in extras.

113. UncleArgyle says:

Why on gods green earth wouldn’t Showalter pinch run for Thome. That’s just awful managing. Slip your mind Buck?

• JLC 776 says:

I don’t know – I agree with the announcers. The guy has a pretty fucking good record in these kinds of games. I’d say he might actually know what he’s doing.

• CS Yankee says:

No, it worked out but was real stupid…highly unlikely you need him to DH in the 11th inning but another run is like gold.

• JLC 776 says:

I agree that it seems stupid, but at some point you look at the scoreboard (i.e. his record in the EXACT same situation) and shrug.

114. Kramerica Industries says:

Machado just broke the Rangers’ back with that hit.

115. CS Yankee says:

Put the fork in the Rangers season , hand the crying towel to Washington and the spoon to Hamilton as they are done.

116. Buck you says:

Frank Zappa looks pissed in the ranger dugout.

117. China Joe says:

As a guy who lived for five years in MD, I’d hate to play the O’s. Orioles fans are the worst. They spent the past 10 years cheering for the Red Sox over their own team. If the Orioles win, I’ll never here the end of it. If the Yankees win, everyone in MD will go “Who cares? I don’t even like baseball. Ravens, baby!”

• The Real Greg says:

That’s what they do in Tampa Bay as well.

• Anthony says:

I don’t live in MD but I’ve dealt with O’s fans. In the beginning of September, we were “choking the lead” because we’re a “bunch of overpaid old chokers”. But if we win against them in the ALDS, they’ll just blame payroll. So stupid and annoying.

• David N says:

They’re not the only fanbase to have sold their souls to the Red Sox over the past decade. Though people aren’t doing that anymore. I wonder why….

• China Joe says:

But they are the only fanbase whose home field was known as “fenway south” until the last month of this season

118. Buck you says:

Where are all the texas flags and idoits running around on the green in cf for the rangers

119. The Real Greg says:

There’s Nolan

120. David N says:

Is it just me, or is Nolan Ryan looking more and more like Senator Palpatine as he became the Emperor?

121. Buck you says:

2012 Texas Ranger RIP
    No third WS to lose

122. Alfredo says:

I want the Orioles to win so the Yankees can have the chance of eliminating them from the Play-Offs!!

123. Buck you says:

2 to go lol

124. Buck you says:

Napoli
    Off the roids

125. Buck you says:

Hamiton needs a joint

126. vicki says:

if i’d told you in april we’d be playing the o’s in the lds….

127. Buck you says:

Bye bye assholes where are to cute hand signs now

128. Captain_Turbo says:

A home run here pre-ties the game.

129. Kramerica Industries says:

Rangers not dying easily.

Who knows now.

130. Buck you says:

Done!!!!!!!!! FU Rangers

131. Joe Girardis Braces says:

ORIOLES WIN!!!!!

132. Kramerica Industries says:

Bring on the Orioles.

133. The Real Greg says:

Get Jeffrey Maier on the phone and lets go to Camden Yards.

134. dkidd says:

this has been a very good day (on paper) for the yankees

135. Buck you says:

You can hear a pin drop in that staduim

136. Robinson Tilapia says:

Now I’ll have to deal with my Sox fan buddy rooting for the Orioles since she’s dating a guy from Baltimore instead of just letting her move on to the Patriots. Argh.

I dated an O’s fan for four years, before I met my wife, and I just spent the entire four years playing the foil and busting on the O’s. I still give Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen the finger if I ever drive by it.

Yanks will beat them so badly it’ll wake Flanny.

137. Kramerica Industries says:

The Yankees and Orioles battled for first place the entire month of September, with the margin almost never being higher than +1 for the Yankees (I think the largest lead was, like, +2.5 for the Yankees, and that was for one day).

Yankees ended up winning the division, Orioles beat the Rangers, and gained the wild card.

And now the Orioles get two guaranteed home games to start off the ALDS.

So, who really got the better end of the division race?

Screw you, Selig.

• CS Yankee says:

Not right but Cano, Jete & Teix hit like mad men in Camden. CC on the bump, followed by Pettitte…I like our chances.

• JLC 776 says:

And don’t forget that the Orioles didn’t even use their ‘number one’ starter (if they have one) tonight.

But I think all we have to do is take at least one game in Camden.

Mystique and Aura >> Magic

138. dkidd says:

you word you want is “thrive,” joe

139. Anthony says:

Between a healthy lineup and a solid rotation you’d think we’d have this next series all wrapped up. I am still ever so slightly nervous. This is what an intense pennant race has done to me.

140. Chris says:

I hope we win this series very quickly

141. Chris says:

Watch the media try to play up Buck managing and trying to exact revenge against his old teams….Really not excited to hear EJ, Smoltz and Cal Ripken try to undercut the Yanks at every moment’s notice.