Oct

ALDS Game Five Thread: Orioles @ Yankees

So it all comes down to this. The Yankees and Orioles have been separated by more than one run for a total of six outs this series, playing four incredibly tight games that were more “oh my goodness they keep blowing opportunities” than “holy cow what a great game!” You know what I mean. Outside of the ninth inning of Game One and Raul Ibanez, this series hasn’t been a banner “let’s make some more fans!” exhibition for the game.

Anyway, by now you all know the story. Both teams are struggling so much offensively that they only have two players who can not be considered automatic outs each — Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira for the Yankees, Nate McLouth and Manny Machado for the Orioles. Everyone else has been flailing away, running into bad luck, or some combination of both. CC Sabathia needs to come out and dominate like he did in Game One and the offense … I mean, they just have to wake up. What more can you say? Here are the lineups…

Baltimore Orioles
LF Nate McLouth
SS J.J. Hardy
CF Adam Jones
RF Chris Davis
C  Matt Wieters
3B Manny Machado
1B Mark Reynolds
DH Lew Ford
2B Robert Andino

RHP Jason Hammel (8-6, 3.43)

New York Yankees
SS Derek Jeter
LF Ichiro Suzuki
2B Robinson Cano
1B Mark Teixeira
DH Raul Ibanez
RF Nick Swisher
CF Curtis Granderson
Russell Martin
3B Eric Chavez

LHP CC Sabathia (15-6, 3.38)

It’s not the most picturesque of days in New York, but the weather will not be a factor tonight. First pitch is scheduled for 5:07pm ET and the game can be seen on TBS. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads, Playoffs

585 Comments

1. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

lol the Yankees are playing a 5 o’clock playoff game on a Friday afternoon.

• RetroRob says:

Wow. Thankfully I checked over here. I guessed the game would be coming on either at 7:30 or 8:30!

As is, I have an unmovable event this evening, so can only watch the first 45 minutes. I guess if they win I’ll just be happy the team is moving on. If they lose, I’ll be glad I missed it!

2. The Real Greg says:

Probably the worst offensively played series between two teams in the history of baseball.

I honestly don’t know who’s going to win and I’m starting to think that it really won’t matter who wins because neither team is going to get by Detroit. Not because Detroit is a good team, but the Yankees and Orioles suck so badly on offense.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Meh. The Yankees offense could easily wake up against Detroit. Just win today and worry about that tomorrow.

3. Zanath says:

Yeah, this has got to be one of the worst series offensively I have ever seen. It’s been pretty painful to watch, on both sides.

Orioles line: .197/.238/.296
      Yankees line: .216/.280/.333

• RetroRob says:

We have to give the pitchers some credit here. It’s why postseason hitting statistics generally are lower than regular season. Yet the Yankee hitters still have to take part of the blame. They’re too good and the Orioles pitchers are not that good for a .216/.280/.333 line.

4. Eddards says:

If the offense comes through today and wins we know what the problem is that that it is contained on the bench(ARod).

If the offensive struggles continue and they lose, blow the whole thing to smithereens starting at the top with Girardi.

• Winter says:

False.

One player does not a lineup make. A-Rod’s presence (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with how people like Grandy, Swish, Tex and Cano play. So far they’ve sucked. If they stop sucking, we’ll do well, regardless of what A-Rod’s doing.

• Winter says:

Now that I think about it Tex, while he’s been far from great, has not completely sucked this series.

• The Real Greg says:

Tex is 5 for 15 in the series. His bad leg makes him seem less productive than he actually has been. He’s had a good series.

• stuart a says:

zero rbi’s… 0 with RISP.. he gets a pass because of the other dreck but he has performed OK…ok compared to horrible is good…

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

1 rbi…..on a risp hit……i know reality has never been your strong suit………throw him a parade….

• FIPster Doofus says:

Tex’s OBP this series is .474. He’s not hitting for any power, but I can’t really get on him. Tex, Jeter, Martin, Ibanez and Nix are the only hitters doing anything at all, and only three of them are regulars.

• RetroRob says:

Correct. If the other hitters were doing anything close to Tex then this series would have ended with a 3-0 Yankee win. Tex hasn’t been the problem. Considering how rusty he has the right to be, and the calf is hurting his already slow running, he’s been more than fine. Jeter’s been fine. Cano and Grandy the two biggest issues.

• DC says:

Just stop. You’re wrong on both issues.

Cano-awful
      Granderson-awful
      ARod-awful
      Swisher- awful

Where does Girardi get blame again?

• DC says:

It’s Eddardworld…Girardi will be the greatest thing in the world next week.

• Knoxvillain says:

He has made a lot of bad decisions and I’ve never liked him as a manager at all, but this team as just sucked this year.

I still don’t understand not starting Gardner instead of Granderson tonight. Even though Gardner has a few at bats this year, he can’t be as bad as Granderson. And even if he is, at least he can play defense.

5. BigBlueAL says:

Would be something if the offense explodes today with this lineup.

6. CUYanks says:

Well it all comes down to this. Win, and the Yankees might only have to win 8 of their next 14 games to take home a championship. Lose, and they go home. Let’s not get down on this team until the final out.

Positivity guys!

• Nigel Incubator-Jones says:

“Let’s not get down on this team until the final out.”

You’re not from around these parts, are ya.

• Winter says:

Honestly, I’m impressed with the trolls’ stubbornness. No matter how many time the Yankees have late rallies, they persevere in calling for Girardi to be fired whenever the Yanks are losing by 1 run in the third.

• CUYanks says:

Haha. Unfortunately I know how it gets all too well. Let’s just hope CC doesn’t fall behind the first hitter 1-0 and we’re good.

7. Knoxvillain says:

Hopefully the pitching has just been so great from the O’s that it’s made the offense terrible. But with their RISP fail during the regular season, I highly doubt that. If the Yankees win tonight, it’s not going to be fun having to face Verlander twice and risk getting knocked out of the playoffs by America’s armpit for the second year in a row.

• The Real Greg says:

They’re not getting by Detroit. Neither is Baltimore. Detroit has a clear path to the series if they execute properly.

• Knoxvillain says:

87 fucking wins and the most overrated team in baseball in my opinion. Not a fun year so far.

• The Real Greg says:

And yet they will be favorites for this ALCS.

• CUYanks says:

This is not a given, actually.

• The Real Greg says:

Oh it will be. You watch. They will be favored against both teams. Why? Verlander versus a struggling offense.

• CUYanks says:

Maybe by you, but I can almost assure you that the oddsmakers will make the Yankees the favorites, especially if they have a big win today. Orioles might be underdogs (by Vegas). Don’t forget that Detroit took the full 5 games to win their series, as well, and they actually lost 2 of their last 3. Verlander won’t pitch every game in the series. They have a suspect bullpen. They start Delmon Young. etc. etc. etc.

• FIPster Doofus says:

They’re extremely overrated. Couldn’t even win 90 games in an awful division. Bring them on.

• Knoxvillain says:

I wouldn’t have a problem with this but once you factor in our hitting and Verlander twice (probably two automatic losses) it won’t be looking good. At least we have a great pitching staff and we do have the ability to shut them down. Not looking forward to Prince in Yankee Stadium though.

• The Real Greg says:

And Miguel kills the Yankees historically.

• FIPster Doofus says:

The Yankees have done a decent job against Verlander if memory serves (at least relative to other teams). I wouldn’t call those auto losses by any means.

• Knoxvillain says:

I think he has a 5.43 ERA if I recall correctly, but that doesn’t mean anything.

He could throw two complete game shutouts allowing four hits and ten strike outs and I wouldn’t be surprised in the least.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Neither would I, but you never know. Yanks just need to win today and take their chances with whatever happens in the LCS.

• The Real Greg says:

That’s true. And he has not had good career numbers at Yankee stadium where he would pitch a potential Game 7.
                0-2 with a 4.50 ERA

• BigBlueAL says:

They only face Verlander twice if the series goes 7 since Verlander isnt starting until Game 3.

• CUYanks says:

Eh, there’s a reason they won 7 and 5 fewer games than the Yankees/Orioles this year (in a weaker division as well). Of course they look good right now, and they could go all the way, but no team has a clear path.

• Nigel Incubator-Jones says:

There’s no way the Giants can win the NLDS after going down 0-2 and being outscored 14-2.

Understand that what happened yesterday or even the last week is not predictive of how a team will play today or tomorrow.

• Robert Heenan says:

Everybody has a clear path to the series _if they execute properly_. If this team executed properly, this series would be over already. The problem with this team is not how good they are when they execute, but how rarely they execute.

8. jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

Boo games starting before I get out of work….Hope they’re winning by the time I get home. Bring it, CC!

• Knoxvillain says:

I requested off of work today. But I forgot that ALCS Game 1 starts tomorrow, so I’m fucked. But it might not matter because I don’t know if Jason Hammel or Randy Johnson is starting for the O’s tonight.

9. CUYanks says:

Just one big inning, offense. That is all I ask. You’ve done it so many times before.

10. Eddards says:

The Tigers are not the favorites against us if we can get there. Our rotation can match theirs. CC would have to pitch on 3 days rest in Game 3 but that would be our only scheduling disadvantage. The Tigers would have to fly here overnight for tomorrow’s ballgame. And we have HFA. Their lineup is 2 players. Our lineup is 1 player so that might be a wash.

11. dkidd says:

things to keep in mind for the next 3-4 hours:

baseball is a game of failure
    unscripted drama is awesome
    nothing you say or do will impact the outcome of the game
    baseball is played by human beings
    everyone on the field and in the dugout is trying their best
    1996-2000 was an anomaly that will never happen again

things i will forget the first time a yankee hitter strikes out with men on base:

see above

• RetroRob says:

Never say never.

Yet Yankee fans who came of age during the dynasty run have a very poor perspective on the game, one which they probably won’t ever see again as you say.

• dkidd says:

the yankees were 3 outs from winning 5 world series in 6 years. there is no way that happens again in our lifetimes

• Knoxvillain says:

Unless your 97 years old, it might.

• RetroRob says:

Shhh…we don’t talk about that game.

Seriously, whenever I’m asked what’s the worst Yankee loss (usually by a Red Sox fan hoping it’s 2004), I always say 2001. It was already an amazing run, and it was clear that team was a little past prime. The idea of winning four straight World Series in this day and age with the multiple rounds is way more impressive than the Yankees five-straight runs. That’s the one I want back.

• Knoxvillain says:

>1996-2000 was an anomaly that can never happen again.

I have to disagree with that. There’s no reason any team in baseball can’t have a run like that. It isn’t common, but I’m sure one team-maybe the Yankees or even the Astros- at one point in time will do that again.

• Nigel Incubator-Jones says:

Amen brother.

(except sometimes, if I wear the wrong hat, the Yankees lose.)

12. RetroRob says:

A Yankee manager benching a high-paid superstar in a pivitol game five?! It’s never happened. Oh, wait. Billy Martin benched that Reggie guy against the Royals in ’77 since he looked totally lost at the plate. Reggie came off the bench and get a hit in that game, and then went on to lead the Yankees to the World Series, culminating in his three-HR game.

In 2009, Johnny Damon looked useless in the ALDS. Fans (many here) wanted him benched the rest of the series. His game picked up in the next series and he helped lead the Yankees to the World Series.

Assume nothing moving forward. Now if the Yankees can just win tonight!

13. BigBlueAL says:

Already Sherman and Buster tweeting about how only a few thousand fans are in their seats and comparing the atmosphere at the stadium to a game in mid-May.

• RetroRob says:

It’s a good question. Where are they? The fans, I mean.

• forensic says:

Work? How dare they work in the afternoon of a weekday. Absurd scheduling by MLB, just like the day Game 5 from yesterday.

• RetroRob says:

Yeah. I think if I had tickets I would head out of work early, but not everyone can do that. Even if many did, the traffic getting in has to be bitch right now.

• UncleArgyle says:

When I heard the game was a 5 I knew that would be the case. The stadium will be dead for the first few innings. And will get worse if/when the Orioles score some runs. This has O’s blowout win written all over it.

14. WhittakerWalt says:

I’m very scared that Wieters, Reynolds and Jones are going to finally wake up. You can’t keep them down forever.

15. Eddards says:

My prediction for tonight is that Sabathia pulls a Verlander and throws a CGSO, Yanks win 1-0 on a Chavez RBI. Alex benched again tomorrow.

• CUYanks says:

I hope you’re right. I at least feel like the upside for CC is there. For Hammel, he hasn’t thrown 6 innings even in 3 months.

• Nigel Incubator-Jones says:

I will bet you 100 internet dollars that something other than this happens.

16. Knoxvillain says:

At least A-Rod can’t strike out to end the Yankees season this year.

17. CountryClub says:

I have a feeling that someone is getting blown out.

18. David N says:

Wow, that stadium is empty.

19. TomH says:

Sure he can!

20. Ethan says:

Did smoltz just call the yankees the yankers?

• Knoxvillain says:

Probably. He’s such a bitch. I hate him so much. I’ve never wanted Tim McCarver in the booth until this series.

21. awesomeo says:

Only took Joe potentially the end of the season game to figure out where robbie should have been batting the past 3 seasons.

22. babnik says:

let’s keep the negativity in check tonight guys – remember no one has choked yet on the yankees. it’s simple to small a sample size so it’s impossible to choke in the alds. everything is great.

• dkidd says:

in theory, this is supposed to be fun

• CUYanks says:

Yes. Let’s make this a bearable place. Never give up!

• RetroRob says:

As RAB has gotten bigger the overall quality of game threads has dropped. Mike even addressed that in that chat today, which I just ran through. It’s the nature of the beast. Larger site means a higher volume of noise. It’s the WFAN crowd.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

The trolls have been here forever. Difference is every time a “troll” appears people have to post 50 comments in response to it, shocked that they have a different opinion.

Honestly things would be so much better if people have some ability to ignore some things that can be avoided.

Responses to Greg for example.

• Eddards says:

They’ve got their biggest choker on the bench so there is hope as long as CC dominates.

23. BigBlueAL says:

Holy shit there really are like no people at all sitting behind home plate right now.

24. Knoxvillain says:

Nice start. 27 pitch perfect game and an ALCS Game 1 start?

• TomH says:

Well-off New Yorkers, they’re having drinks and dinner. Get to the game a bit later, like the 5th inning. Where they’ll sit with their “devices” and engage in cybermasturbation.

25. Better off Eddard/Syrio Forel/Occasional Troll says:

Winner-take-all and Legends is 70% empty. Love corporate fans!

26. awesomeo says:

Just a game, and we’ve been fortunate to be in the playoffs for, what, 17/18 seasons now? I am dissapointed to a point though and understand how others could be too.

27. Tabbert says:

50,000 people in new york city couldn’t manage to make it to a 5pm game?

• CUYanks says:

The ones there at least seem to care. 2 strike cheering is a good start!

• Eddards says:

People have jobs. MLB screwed up scheduling this when they did. Swing and a miss! Let’s go offense!!!!!!!

• Better off Eddard/Syrio Forel/Occasional Troll says:

They’re there, they’re just in the restaurants behind the seats. You have to take context into account and the type of fan involved.

• CountryClub says:

If I had tickets I wouldn’t have been there on time.

28. CountryClub says:

Place is half empty at the moment. But it’s loud.

• CUYanks says:

I’m thinking maybe the awful start time does a bit in terms of selection bias, in a good way.

• David N says:

True.

• CUYanks says:

This is not to say that many very good Yankees fans have jobs and commitments. It’s just that the inconvenience of the start time is something that the more “casual” fans might see as a reason not to go. I wonder how many people here are going to be in trouble on Monday?

29. BigBlueAL says:

Great 1st inning for CC. Keep that pitch count low so he can start Game 3 of the ALCS on 3 days rest w/o any problems :-)

30. vicki says:

big game for ichi.

31. David N says:

Good first inning for CC.

Time for teh runz.

32. Tabbert says:

Maybe the small crowd will take pressure of the hitters. They will just treat this like a regular night game in mid April.

33. Brendan says:

Fuck this fanbase. Elimination playoff game and it looks like a rescheduled rainout in Cleveland. Don’t care that it’s 5:00 PM. If you can afford those seats behind home plate you can beg off work for an afternoon and make it look like this city gives a shit.

If you have tickets on the lower tier and you’re not in your seat by the third inning, you should forfeit it to someone in the upper deck.

• CountryClub says:

The upper tiers are half empty too. Who gets their tickets?

• Brendan says:

There’s a possibility that the people in the upper deck work for a living, and their seats aren’t on the screen for 90% of the telecast. They can show up when they feel like/are able.

• Better off Eddard/Syrio Forel/Occasional Troll says:

it hasnt affected either national league series. theyve played in the day, hell even earlier for pacific time giants, and their stadiums were full and loud. for games much earlier than 5 pm their time no less.

its the fanbase, for better or worse.

• Better off Eddard/Syrio Forel/Occasional Troll says:

the people in those seats dont pay for them. their companies and sponsors do.

its always like this. legends has been partly empty most of the series. they fans come late, leave early, and sit in the restaurant instead of their seats in between.

its not going to change. the yankees targeted specifically corporations for everything in the lower bowl behind the field, and they got it. until theres a new stadium in 75 years, itll always be like that.

34. Winter says:

“Umpires have done a good job this series.”

WHAT?

35. Hummingbird S. says:

O’s strikezone, huge as usual

36. BigBlueAL says:

The plate umpires have not given the Yankee hitters a break at all this series.

37. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Shitty umpiring already. Fuck.

38. oldmanalex currently benchwarming says:

Randy johnson is in the building boys…

39. CountryClub says:

That was a borderline strike on Jeter. Now we’ll have to wait and see if he calls that all game.

40. Knoxvillain says:

I give this three innings. If the offenses are like this again, I can’t watch.

41. Ethan says:

Man that place is so empty! Fuck you tbs for putting the game at such a stupid time

42. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Ichiro’s been another Invisible Man.

43. The Real Greg says:

Why do the umps want the O’s to win? Yankees winning mean more money to them. It doesn’t make sense.

44. Hummingbird S. says:

We have yet to see Cano go the other way. Every out is a grounder to the right side.

45. stuart a says:

nice inning for the yankee bats. cano with a lunge job, ichiro with anothing grounder, and jeter watched strike 3 knee high right over the plate.

looks like the ladies broyght there A game today. this may be long and painful….

DEAD man walking….

46. oldmanalex currently benchwarming says:

man for 30$ dollars this year, they should at least make ALEX scrape the gum off the benches.

47. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Stop trying to pull the sinker.

48. i collect brett gardner cards says:

its an 8 inning game now.
    lets do it.

49. David N says:

Nice play Russel.

50. Ethan says:

CC You’re gonna have to be really good tonight.

51. Hall and Nokes says:

Now we know what the Rays’ intrasquad scrimmages are like.

52. Athenian says:

Can’t watch the game but CC sounds like he is dealing. Now the offense needs to give him 3 runs.

53. Tom says:

You get the feeling that Smoltz and Ripken Jr want to run down between innings and coach up some of the O’s players.

While I expect the TV crews to be on the side of the underdog, this crew is just absurd.

• stuart a says:

who cares. the yalways root against the big city. WHO CARES..

they do not boo nobodies………

• CUYanks says:

My favorite was yesterday when Smoltz was like “I know you’re not supposed to do this, but I really want the Orioles to tie the series. How about a homer here?”

54. JLC 776 says:

I really hope the Yankees win today so I can happily reflect on the first ever 4-full five-game series in post-season history.

I also want to be able to remember Ichiro’s ballerina play with fondness.

55. RetroRob says:

BTW What crazy stat was Smoltz just saying about the Yankees. They’ve only played three postseason series (right?) since winning in 2009.

• Slugger27 says:

is that really a crazy stat?

• Mike Axisa says:

Well, it has been 37 years, so yes.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t know. I was only half paying attention, but his numbers sounded off. It’s almost like he eliminated the entire 2009 postseason for whatever reason. Then again, this is the same crew that thinks Phil Hughes has trouble getting two strikes on a hitter, but is great at putting hitters away when he gets two strikes.

56. RkyMtnYank says:

CC got the low strike call on Weiters so the zone seems consistent so far at least.

• Laz says:

Yep, Jeter didn’t like it, neither did weiters. I’ll take consistentcy.

• Tom says:

I’ll take a correctly called strike zone.

Consistently wrong is not a good thing. Would people be happy with the first base umpire calling a runner safe if he was within one stride of the bag, so long as he was consistent for both teams?

• RkyMtnYank says:

Apples and oranges comparison. You’ll basically never get a correctly called strike zone, ever. All you can expect is consistency from the umpire for his perceived strike zone.

• Laz says:

My thinking. I’ve seen many games where it is not consistent, that I am happy when its consistent as long as it isn’t ridiculously big or small. Pitchers and hitters will figure out the zone that is being called.

57. David N says:

Boy am I sick of that Springsteen song.

58. The Real Greg says:

So we have here two offenses that are struggling, two pitching staffs and bullpens that have pitched brilliantly, and two defenses that have done their jobs.

It’s a wash, but for one small factor. Luck. This series has, as many do in the postseason, come down to luck.

• Robert Heenan says:

Yes — the Orioles are lucky that Girardi was stubborn/stupid enough to not PH for A-Rod in the 8th.

• JLC 776 says:

What’s funny is how luck is in the eye of the beholder. While I will vehemently say the Yankees luck has been worse, you go to Camden chat and you would think that the Orioles are the most victimized team in history.

• Hummingbird S. says:

The series could have ended last night if they had a decent manager.

• Laz says:

Some people were complaining, but the Yankees were extremely lucky in game 3. They were down in the 9th inning, and were able to tie it.

59. Robert Heenan says:

Look! Ibanez made contact and got the ball to the outfield! That would have been useful in the 8th inning with 1 out yesterday…

60. yanks0525 says:

cia should tape this..no need for waterboarding

61. Hummingbird S. says:

Can CC go 12 today?

62. Winter says:

What was Swisher doing swinging at that?

63. David N says:

Awful swing by Swish there.

64. Matt says:

How can every one of these Orioles pitchers never make a mistake? It’s unbelievable. The majority of these guys have been either ice cold or have not pitched in the last month!

• Ethan says:

They’ve been making some mistakes, the bats just can’t hit those mistakes.

• Matt says:

Hammel has thrown maybe 1 pitch out of 27 over the middle of the plate in the first two innings, and Cano pulled it just foul with home run distance.

65. yanks0525 says:

no matter what happens from here on swisher cant be a free agent soon enough

66. i collect brett gardner cards says:

alright lets get these bats going.
    we look listless again.

67. nick in sd says:

Jesus Christ Swisher what is up with that eye black?

68. stuart a says:

swisher had the winning ab of the 2nd. swung at a ball on the dirt…

this team is abysmal. as I whined incessantly all season talking about this people mocked me, they are 2nd in runs scored. it does not matter how you score, blah blah blah.

the guy pitching is not denny mcclain or guidry, this guy is a hasbeen who has been around the block for years.

69. Karl Krawfid says:

No hope man.

Same looking at bats every game.

70. Hall and Nokes says:

At least we’ve stopped swinging at pitches in the dirt.

71. JLC 776 says:

Any chance of everyone just kind of agreeing to stop bringing up managerial moves of games past like they are the sole reason we didn’t win in four games?

I know things are frustrating, but those comments are really kind of getting old.

72. jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

For those still stuck at work: How does CC look so far?

73. awesomeo says:

CC looks on. Let’s put some good at bats together!

74. HughesPhanInBeantown says:

Damn, Smoltz and Ripken are really going to lower the standards of quality at Bleacher Report

75. Pat D says:

So I saw Taken 2: Electric Boogaloo today. Not as enjoyable as the first one. I think this was partially due to the PG-13-izing of it. But I do like how they set it up for another sequel, which will inevitably be entitled Taken 3: Electric Boogaloo-er.

Or maybe it will be Taken 3: Electric Boogaloo Again.

76. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Nobody takes a more cheerful 0-fer thank Nick Swisher. He’s loving every minute of it!

77. yanks0525 says:

well at least CC came to play..

78. acb says:

so sick of seeing swisher smiling after every time he strikes out on an awful pitch. also sick of all these players taking a fastball right down the middle and then striking out on a pitch in the dirt.

79. dkidd says:

lew ford in 2004: i love steroids!!!

lew ford in 2012: i miss steroids!!!

80. Pat D says:

Nice shot of TBS showing the guy out of the box.

• The Real Greg says:

That never gets called anyway. I’ve never seen it called.

• RetroRob says:

I have seen some catchers touching the batter’s back foot, which annoys the batter and then gets the umps attention. Yet it’s been a long time since I’ve seen anything done about it. Maybe the catcher doesn’t want it called on his own hitters, so both sides let it go.

• David N says:

I know it’ll never happen, but if the umpire did decide to do something about it, what would happen? Batter called out? A strike?

81. Frank says:

CC may have to pitch the best game of his career to win this game- I can’t see Yanks mustering more than a run or two. They just look awful offensively.

82. Tom says:

So Lew Ford should pretty much be called out on the spot once he puts a ball in play when he’s out of the batters box, no?

(not that they ever call it)

83. CBean says:

Sterling and Waldman going on and on speculating about how maybe Kuroda is broken

84. Anthony says:

CC bringing his A-game as expected.

85. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

CC in beast mode.
    Hopefully the offense can make it matter.

86. Tabbert says:

Atta boy CC. Come on Yankees… lets gets some runs.. or a run. Just something. Please.

87. i collect brett gardner cards says:

well, we knew CC would come out like this
    bad thing is we knew the O would come out like this as well.

Screw it. This inning, Grandy goes boom.

88. TomH says:

We’ll see if Granderson is, like the rest of them so far, in repeat-of-yesterday mode.

89. The Real Greg says:

Got a good swing there.

90. Karl Krawfid says:

come on go the other fucking way

91. David N says:

Well, it wasn’t a K.

92. awesomeo says:

Small silver lining… At least a few guys have put good wood on the ball.

93. BigBlueAL says:

Yankee hitters continue to pull outside pitches.

94. Hummingbird S. says:

Granderson hasn’t been “working” for about 3 months. Why not try Gardner? Can’t be any worse offensively, and on D he is way better.

• The Real Greg says:

Yes he can be worse offensively. Never liked Gardner’s offense. Doesn’t hit for power and two streaky of a contact hitter. At least with Granderson you get the threat of power.

• Hummingbird S. says:

He makes contact and works the count.. Granderson K’s on 4 pitches.

• RkyMtnYank says:

So what, Gardener has an exponentially higher percentage of bunting for a hit and stealing second than waiting around for all these magical power hits to happen. I know bunting is a bad word on RAB but the percentages are so much better.

• The Real Greg says:

Also he sucks at stealing bases too. He should have so many more than he does.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Again, so fuckin what? You spend all your time bitching about all this shit that’s not working yet want to continue to do the same thing. You are stuck on stupid!!

95. YanksFanInBeantown says:

Well, that’s the first time I’ve seen him hit the ball well this series.

96. babnik says:

hammel perfect game intact

97. yanks0525 says:

350 ft flyballs in a 400 ft field

98. awesomeo says:

We’re gonna hit this guy. I can feel it.

99. Athenian says:

Hammel use to pitch for the Rockies. THE ROCKIES!

What does that say about this line up?

100. David N says:

Outside strike is outside.

101. i collect brett gardner cards says:

ok, second time through the order…..

102. Hummingbird S. says:

HR swing from every batter.. if you are a pitcher, no reason to throw anything remotely close to the zone. Throw everything away and out of the zone, they will try to pull and make an out.

103. Anthony says:

Fly ball, fly ball, fly ball.

104. OMG! Bagels! says:

I know several people who are going to the game but couldn’t make the 5 pm start. How does that translate into screw everyone and this fan base sucks? Both coming in and going out of the city on a Friday night is brutal. Even public transit sucks on a Friday afternoon.

• sangreal says:

I cant think of many worse times to start a baseball game in the Bronx than 5pm on a Friday. Too bad this game is going to be over before half the fans get there at this rate

• Laz says:

Is because of the Schedule. ALCS starts tomorrow. Which is kinda dumb, 3 days off after season, no day between series for 1 team, 1 for other team.

105. YanksFanInBeantown says:

Fuck. Right at him.

106. Cy Pettitte says:

and nothing falls in of course

107. David N says:

Well, they are starting to make some solid contact. Hope it continues.

108. yanks0525 says:

wait can i change my cy young vote??

109. Matt says:

How many balls are they going to hit hard in this series right at somebody? They’ve outplayed Baltimore by far more than the scores would suggest.

• The Real Greg says:

You’re starting to get it. This is the element of luck in postseason play.

• Matt says:

Hard to have much “luck” when you don’t put the ball in play with runners on base. There is a huge difference between bemusing a few hard hit balls right at guys and thinking that they are losing because of bad luck.

• The Real Greg says:

But both offenses have been struggling.

• Matt says:

What does that have to do with what I just said? If you don’t put the ball in play, you don’t have much of an opportunity to have good or bad luck offensively.

• The Real Greg says:

What I mean is that in terms in play on the field, the series has been a virtual wash. Which means another element will decide this game.

110. The Real Greg says:

This is where luck comes into play. Yankees have hit the ball hard several times and have hit it right at people.

111. Captain Gift Basket says:

Move over Don Larsen and Roy Halladay, you may have company tonight.

112. Eddard says:

If CC gives up a run it’s over. Good thing he’s been Justin Verlander dominant thus far. 1 run and it’s over.

113. OMG! Bagels! says:

Are we already starting this? Can’t we hold off a few innings? If this is such misery that they don’t put up 100 runs in the first inning, why watch?

114. Tabbert says:

Granderson actually had a good AB. Lets hope he can build on that in his next ab’s.

115. Anthony says:

Most annoying Oriole – Nate McClouth? Who the hell is this guy?

116. Karl Krawfid says:

Here comes the end of the season right here.

117. David N says:

Nate McLouth, baseball legend.

118. awesomeo says:

They are obviously seeing the ball ok. Hopefully that translates to hits.

119. PreserveTheJoba says:

That swing by Jones was scary…

120. oldmanalex currently benchwarming says:

is it me or adam jones is obnoxious.

121. Dale Mohorcic says:

my radar is off. that jones fly ball was the 4th or 5th ball i thought was tattooed that was a harmless fly ball. anyone else having that experience?

• BigBlueAL says:

Read my comment below, agree with you. Not that I thought they might be HR’s but at least be a problem for the outfielders but they have been all routine outs.

• CUYanks says:

I felt that way too. We must just be anxious.

122. BigBlueAL says:

Some balls being hit pretty decent to the outfield and they arent even coming close to the warning track.

123. Tabbert says:

Adam Jones is one cool dude. Can’t say anything bad about the guy…except that he is on the orioles and not the Yankees.

124. Matt says:

I don’t get it. Both of these teams are squaring balls up and they’re going nowhere.

I think part of the lack of offense in this series has to be attributed to the weather. The first two games were miserable weather, and tonight it’s 52 degrees with a crazy wind whipping.

125. CUYanks says:

Rickey McLouth.

126. Karl Krawfid says:

Throw the ball in the fucking dirt CC.

127. Matt says:

You have to throw him a high fastball now. He is leaning out over the plate and reaching for the slider.

• Matt says:

Got lucky because Davis almost got to that last slider.

How does this battery not notice him making a huge adjustment in the middle of that at bat?

This is why I criticize Martin sometimes. You have to read the bat sometimes, and not just throw the same, formulaic sequences.

128. Tabbert says:

The ball is simply not carrying today. Someone is going to have to absolutely launch one to get it out.

129. Pat D says:

Why are so many people calling him “Nate McClouth?” Did I miss a joke or is everyone ignorant that his name is “McLouth?”

130. David N says:

And…exhale.

131. The Real Greg says:

As shown there. Davis was ready and on a summer day, that goes out.

132. BigBlueAL says:

Now Davis hits one off the end of the bat and it carries almost to the track to CF. Weird.

133. Eddard says:

And all 500 fans at the Stadium cheer CC standing Mclouth at 2nd.

134. Dale Mohorcic says:

Now that last fly ball looked like nothing and actually carried pretty well. I’m confused.

135. Tom says:

That ball had some carry. He nearly one armed it to the warning track (obviously Davis has some power)

• The Real Greg says:

I don’t know. I think on a summer day, that goes way out. The wind and the temperature kept it in.

Davis one armed it but he knew he was getting a slider.

136. yanks0525 says:

just get on base..somehow…

137. Tom says:

Was half expecting Smoltz to start saying “stretch…stretch…”

138. David N says:

Okay, second time through the order. Time to get something done.

139. your mom says:

This offense…….

140. OMG! Bagels! says:

weather always has something to do with baseball. Unless you’re in some wussy stadium with a roof and then it’s just stupid.

141. Matt says:

Another up with a terrible zone, but only for the Yankees hitters. Call it BOTH WAYS.

142. yanks0525 says:

ok maybe its me but that isnt a strike the other way

143. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Hey everybody…boss finally left and gave up the computer. I’m sure it’s been talked about a lot already, but thought I’d give my 2 cents about Alex being benched. If Joe had done it in game 3 I would’ve completely understood it. I even understand it now, Alex is dead against RHP right now…but doing it in a game 5 just SCREAMS desperation in my eyes.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

I’m confused. You understand it now but not in Game 5? Which is…now?

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I meant to say I understand it to an extent. I guess what I mean is if you take A-Rod’s name out of the conversation and just say “player A” has been killed by RHP this series so I’m going to sit him it makes sense. However I think the fact that it’s Alex changes things.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• your mom says:

The way this offense is hitting I’d say we’re desperate though.

144. Hummingbird S. says:

really awful strikezone, only affects the Yankees

145. oldmanalex currently benchwarming says:

man i hope we get no hit tonight. that’s the best way to go out at this point.

146. Captain Gift Basket says:

Jeter has caught the Grandersons….

147. yanks0525 says:

just bunt …get on damnut

148. Dale Mohorcic says:

i suggest the grounds crew lower the entire home plate area so the yankees have a chance at making contact with the pitches on the ground they insist on swinging at.

149. Cuso says:

Is it me or do we only swing at pitches outside the strike zone?

150. i collect brett gardner cards says:

is this the first inning? lol

151. yanks0525 says:

another inning like this and its time for the nfl network

152. babnik says:

it’s hammel’s world we just live in it

153. Cy Pettitte says:

they’ve been fouling off all these good pitches to hit, then rolling over pitchers’ pitchers. so frustrating.

154. TomH says:

Pitchers looking evenly matched so far. Which team wakes up first?

155. Ethan says:

That strike was so far off the plate.

156. Tom says:

That is not a strike.

(and then he has to chase the 1-1 pitch)

157. awesomeo says:

Our very own Vlad Guerrero. I don’t bitch much, but damn Cano swings at a lot of trash when hes off.

158. The Real Greg says:

I’m starting to think that the fault is with TBS’s strike zone and locater.

159. Matt says:

Hammel is pitching well, but once again he is getting a ton of help from the home plate umpire. Many of the swings out of the zone can be tied to pitches earlier in the AB that were called incorrectly, which is burying these hitters.

160. Ethan says:

I sure wish they’d get rid of home plate umps and install something similar to hawk eye in tennis.

161. Captain Gift Basket says:

Hammels – one step closer to immortality

162. Dale Mohorcic says:

I feel like I’m watching little league. Flailing, off balance swings at everything. No sense of the strike zone. Lots of strikeouts on short counts. Batters beginning to offer even at pitches a foot out of the zone before holding up.

163. your mom says:

WTF Cano? So frustrating!!!

164. Cuso says:

Didn’t like that pitch, huh Robbie?

165. RkyMtnYank says:

Wow, how does Robbie not even swing at that.

166. Eddard says:

1 run wins this game either way. It might take 15 innings to get it. 1 run.

167. vicki says:

thank you. even the biased, inarticulate booth can see what this joke strike zone is doing to hitters.

168. Athenian says:

wow… this offense just sucks. Nice AB Cano. The idea is to hit the ball.

169. Hummingbird S. says:

that would be a great way to cap the season… get no hit in game 5 by a scrub

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I agree with the frustration but Hammel isn’t exactly a scrub.

• TomH says:

These “scrubs” played the Yankees to a season tie, almost to a tie in runs scored, and now they’re in a game 5, where Hammel is matching CC pitch for pitch.

• your mom says:

The Yankee offense is the scrub.

170. JLC 776 says:

Far more frustrating to me than A-Rod’s woes is Cano’s inability to adjust to the black and white pitching plan the O’s have on him.

171. i collect brett gardner cards says:

man.

172. RetroRob says:

Looks like CC will need to keep putting up zeros. Hopefully when the Yankees break out of this it’s not next season!

Off to a bar to watch the rest of the game. Have fun.

173. Knoxvillain says:

Yanks gonna lose. It’s their earned destiny.

174. The Real Greg says:

See that pitch looked right down the middle, but TBS located it to the outside edge. I think their locator is absolute crap.

• Tom says:

off angle CF camera. pitches will appear further “left” on camera (from CF view) then they really are.

175. yanks0525 says:

after that strike 3 take…there is no longer a need to discusss umpiring…its inconsequential

176. Karl Krawfid says:

Everyone outside of CC has given up.

Jeremy Bonderman all over again.

177. dalelama says:

Jesus Christ this could be the greatest choke job by the greatest group of choke artists ever. They are making Hammels look like Walter Johnson.

178. babnik says:

ok what are the odds of a perfect game by hammell?

179. UncleArgyle says:

12 up 12 down. Perfect game watch?

180. Athenian says:

I wonder if this playoff series can count towards one of the ridiculous years that Boras THINKS Cano deserves.

181. dkidd says:

failure does not equal “giving up”

182. Athenian says:

No hits, no walks… At least that makes the Detroit series a quick 4-0 set.

183. Karl Krawfid says:

O’s as a team are having better at bats.

184. Matt says:

Nice of the umpire to change the zone in the Weiters at bat there. Ball 4 has been called a strike earlier, as well as ball 3.

185. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

The 2-1 to Weiters is a strike for Hammel.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

So was the 3-1.

• Tom says:

The problem is umps will call the pitch outside to lefty hitters much more readily than the outside corner to righties. It has to do with how they setup behind the catcher.

There have been a bunch of studies on this (Mike Fast has done a lot of work), and this is why I can’t stand the “as long as the ump is consistent” garbage, especially when one team has a lefty pitcher and the other has a righty. They face different #’s of lefty and righty hitters so it has an impact on the game.

186. David N says:

So…that was supposed to be a strike.

187. yanks0525 says:

here comes the one and only run

188. Ace says:

I want Cashman to blow this team up. And I don’t want to see them get even more embarrassed by Detroit. 9 runs in 5 playoff games? A fucking joke.

Crash and burn Yankees. Crash and fucking burn tonight.

189. TomH says:

Uh oh. CC’s had a number of 3-ball counts, I think. Now possible trouble with a lead-off walk.

190. TampaYankee says:

What happened to the team that scored the second most runs?

I mean I really cannot even try to comprehend this. Swisher, Cano, Granderson, and A-Rod with nothing. Lots of strikeouts and easy outs. How do the bats die all of the sudden? How the hell does this happen?

I’m extremely frustrated and confused. This is plain dumb.

Also, that crappy strike zone they’ve had all series wouldn’t matter as much if we could hit the damn ball.

I don’t know if I want to keep watching this, honestly.

• Matt says:

Well look at some of the bats they are having if you don’t think the zone matters. Cano has a terrible pitch called on 1-0, then swings through a pitch in a very similar spot for strike 2. So now he’s buried in the count because of the missed strike call, and Hammel finishes him with some tough pitches.

Look at the Nunez AB in game 2. He made an out with the bases loaded and 1 out on the same pitch he got screwed on with a 1-1 count earlier in the at bat.

The hitters are having to expand the zone and swing at pitches they can’t hit because of the umpires. They aren’t hitting well to begin with, but let’s not ignore the effect that these umpires are having. It’s hard to hit a pitch hard when it’s 4 or 5 inches off the plate inside.

191. Hugh says:

Wow. “Watching” on Gameday, looked like CC got shafted on the Wieters walk, esp. compared to some of the earlier calls both ways.

192. The Real Greg says:

Remember last year against Detroit when the umpire would not give the outside pitch to righties for both teams. Same thing’s happeneing

193. OMG! Bagels! says:

See you guys tomorrow or next year. Way too much negativity for me.

We don’t win every year. We win more than any other team in baseball. We make the postseason almost every year. For the past 15 years (or more) We have gotten to watch Hall of Famers like Jeter and Mo succeed year after year. We won the division this year despite all the injuries.

This is my team win or lose. I’m not living or dying with every pitch.

Thank you Yankees for the year so far. Even if you flattened during the playoffs (and that remains to be seen), thanks for a great year and for winning the toughest division in baseball YET AGAIN.

Thanks for being the most storied franchise in baseball history.

And if I get to see you play tomorrow, great. If not, see you in spring training and look forward to another great season then.

And I’m out for tonight. See you tomorrow or when some weird off-season thing goes on. Thanks all.

• TomH says:

A rational man says goodnight to the rest of us.

• PreserveTheJoba says:

I’m ashamed dude. You really have no faith?

Thats just sad.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

No faith in this game thread. In the Yankees, always. Reread.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

He has faith in the Yankees, not the fanbase that exists on these boards of late. Frankly I agree with him, but I’ve got nothing better to do.

• Busta says:

I think he means he’s gonna stop reading this game thread. I don’t blame him. 90% of the posts here are a buncha ingrate whining babies who thinks the Yankees should win every goddamn game 10 to nothing.

Its horrible.

• vicki says:

well said.

194. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Let CC hit.

195. BigBlueAL says:

Im sure glad CC is pitching like the Yankees ace this series.

196. Hummingbird S. says:

CC is nasty

197. Tom says:

Nice inning.

Let’s hope the bats wake up soon.

198. The Real Greg says:

You are all forgetting. They can’t hit a lick either.

199. David N says:

Did Cano miss 2nd there?

• awesomeo says:

They miss it a lot. The umps just give it to them.

• RkyMtnYank says:

I think he touched the back corner of the bag. It was weird since he didn’t step on top of the bag. I rewound and watched it a few times but you couldn’t tell for sure.

200. Karl Krawfid says:

Please Yankees score some damn runs :(

201. awesomeo says:

Tex is gonna bomb one I can feeeeeeeeel it.

202. Busta says:

If the Yankees win this game will you you whining losers leave and not come back?

You are making this thread unbearable.

• PreserveTheJoba says:

I completely agree. We haven’t lost yet. Hell, we’re not even losing. And we have CC on the mound. Wheres the faith?

203. bill says:

how are they so terrible?

204. The Real Greg says:

But answer the question. If the umps are doing this deliberately, then why?

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

MLB’s irrational hatred for the Yankees. They (the Yankees) make more money for the sport than any other team but every owner, Front Office person, and player not on the Yankees seem to despise them.

205. Just too disappointed right now says:

Yankees will score in this inning, watch

206. UncleArgyle says:

If there was ever a time to bunt

207. bill says:

a hit!!!

208. PreserveTheJoba says:

yay tex

209. Anthony says:

Yay Tex. Lets get going!

210. David N says:

THERE WILL BE NO PERFECT GAME.

211. Hummingbird S. says:

a hit!!!

212. Karl Krawfid says:

OMG a hit!

Score some runs Yanks!

213. oldmanalex currently benchwarming says:

thats the best TEX MESSAGE we’re getting at this point.

214. CUYanks says:

Remember, last time Hammel has made it 6 full innings was 7/7. He might start to tire soon.

• Matt says:

He threw over 100 pitches in his last start, and just hit 60. Don’t hold your breath. They’ll have to beat him.

215. BigBlueAL says:

Cant complain about Tex. Maybe no power but a near .500 OBP for the series.

216. awesomeo says:

Good let’s get some pressure on hammel!

217. Eddard says:

Teixera has done his part. Now it’s time for Ibanez, Granderson and Swisher to do theirs.

218. dkidd says:

How awesome is that?

227. DC says:

HAHA tex with a SB!

228. Pat D says:

I can’t believe that.

229. RkyMtnYank says:

Can you believe that shit, wow!

230. Dan in Athens says:

Did I just see Tex steal?

231. Matt says:

ABOUT DAMN TIME Teix.

If they are playing behind you, and you aren’t hurt, you have to take the free base.

232. Hummingbird S. says:

“no fear of him going..” Teix steals second..

233. PreserveTheJoba says:

OMG what did I just see. Someone wake me up Texeira just stole 2nd base.

234. your mom says:

Holy crap! Me likey. Can we bring him home though?

235. oldmanalex currently benchwarming says:

jose molina just swiped one…

236. Eddard says:

Teixera is playing his heart out on one leg. Someone get that man in!

237. DZ says:

Sending teix? gutsy call

238. BigBlueAL says:

Tex with a SB!! Against Weiters!!

239. RetroRob says:

Good, now I can leave. Tex stealing has to be a good sign.

Hope my dinner crowd who hates baseball doesn’t mind me paying no attention to them for the next two hours.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Dude..on a game 5 you blow of your non baseball friends!!

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Baseball fans or not, I blow all of my friends…if ya know what I mean.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

blow off* (that’s very nice of you though, would you like to be my friend?)

240. awesomeo says:

YES! HIGH FIVES HAHAHA.

241. dkidd says:

ballsy!

love it!

242. CUYanks says:

Rickey Teixeira!

243. Anthony says:

I thought for sure that Tex would be thrown out. Ballsy move.

• David N says:

Yeah, I was cringing as Wieters threw down. He just made it, too.

Imagine if he hadn’t, we’d be KILLING Girardi.

244. jon says:

giaradi has balls of mother fucking steel

245. David N says:

Voldemort, work your magic here.

246. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

PLease get a base hit Raul!

247. awesomeo says:

Really wish swish wasn’t so high up in the lineup. He scares me.

248. Tom says:

Have to think that was Tex running on his own.

My guess/speculation is he and Girardi talked and probably said “if you can get a big jump, go”

249. Cy Pettitte says:

RAHHH OOOOOOL!

250. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

RAAAAULLLL

251. vicki says:

take that, you miserable fucks.

252. Eddard says:

They scored a run with a RISP! RAUL! RAUL!

253. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

RAUL!!! LORD VOLDEMORT!!!!!!!

254. Anthony says:

Am I dreaming??? RAUUUUUL!

255. David N says:

VOLDEMORT LIVES!

256. Tom says:

RAUUUULLLLL! You are my hero!

257. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Raul!!!!!!!

258. Hummingbird S. says:

RAUL MOTHERFUCKING IBANEZ!!!

259. jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

So freaking mad. Still at work because some douche customer won’t shut the hell up with her questions (for my coworker, not me). We closed 25 minutes ago.

So…still stuck on the radio. Tex stole? WTF?

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Heads up baserunning since Rark Meynolds wasn’t holding him at 1st. Raul singled him in.

• Anthony says:

Yes!! And just scored on a Ibanez base hit!

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Apparently…according to Sterling just now it was Ibanez though. It’s insane he got on base, stole second then knocked himself in!!! Most impressive baseball I’ve ever heard!

260. BigBlueAL says:

Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul

261. Ethan says:

VOLDY!

262. Knoxvillain says:

Motherfucking RAAAAUUUULLLL!

263. Hall and Nokes says:

RAH

OOL

264. babnik says:

voldemort!!! girardi is god!

265. Bret "The Hitman" Gardner says:

Raul Ibanez is responsible for 175% of the Yankees’ runs this series.

266. dkidd says:

raul be seeing you in the alcs!!!

267. Matt says:

RAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL

268. jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

RISP HITS! Fuck yes.

269. DZ says:

Praise the dark lord

270. The Real Greg says:

There’s your luck. Ibanez pulls an outside pitch on the ground, it bounces and it finds the hole for an RBI single.

271. Matt says:

Amazing that clueless Girardi has not started Ibanez since Game 1

272. Cuso says:

Listen how quiet the booth got. Pathetic.

273. babnik says:

only if that had been arod instead!

274. Ethan says:

Dear everyone in Yankee stadium,

Get super loud right now!

275. Dan in Athens says:

Did one of the Yankees stab the ump in the ear in retaliation for the strike zone?

276. Cy Pettitte says:

maybe everyone can relax a bit now and they’ll open the flood gates

277. Just too disappointed right now says:

I knew they would score this inning

278. dkidd says:

i would bunt swisher

it’s come to that

279. Anthony says:

LOL talk about rally killer

280. BigBlueAL says:

Swisher the rally killer.

281. David N says:

#toomucheyeblack

282. Ethan says:

Swish you fucking suck! GTFO

283. Knoxvillain says:

Might be Swish’s last game in a Yankee uniform. Thank fucking God. He sucks dick.

284. Bret "The Hitman" Gardner says:

Rally-killing double-play? By the Yankees? Never!

285. Hummingbird S. says:

Swisher doing what he does best, making outs when the pressure is on

286. awesomeo says:

want to puke. Why, why why is swish so high in the lineup?!

• your mom says:

This offense is so stagnant it doesn’t matter how high he bats. As long as it’s not in the top 4.

287. your mom says:

Damn you Swish! Damn you rally-killer!

288. Matt says:

Smoltz hit the nail on the head there:

“Jammed himself”

Swisher got a fastball right down the middle and not only completely missed it, but he jammed himself and hit into a DP.

289. McLovin says:

And nick swisher still sucks

290. JJ says:

The WORST hitter in MLB postseason history ladies and gentlemen. Hooray Nick Swisher.

291. Cy Pettitte says:

I don’t believe what I just saw

292. your mom says:

This K zone is ridiculous.

293. Eddard says:

Unfortunately, that 1 run might be all we get so now the burden shifts to CC. He needs to pitch a shutout.

294. i collect brett gardner cards says:

raul and tex, two of the only productive yanks, come thru again.

295. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Damn, wish Swish had bunted. Le sigh.

296. The Real Greg says:

Was that Gardner?

297. David N says:

Did Grandy just get a hit? Pinch me.

298. Matt says:

Granderson starting to come around it seems. His swings have looked much better today, and even his AB’s last night were starting to improve.

299. Peter says:

Swisher = automatic out in postseason

300. BigBlueAL says:

Naturally Grandy follows the DP with a hit.

301. Tom says:

Another ridiculous 0-1 strike call to make a 1-1 count 0-2

Good job by Grandy to overcome that.

302. YanksFanInBeantown says:

So he CAN make contact!

303. oldmanalex currently benchwarming says:

granderson’s probably like, “shit if they can bench a-rod, im just a shitty defensive 200 K a year pull hitter”

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Hopefully that thought is put into both his and Swisher’s head.

304. dkidd says:

run, curtis, run!

305. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

…middle of game 5 of ALDS with his team just scoring the go ahead run…John Sterling is describing the skies above the stadium.

306. Cuso says:

Granderson on a mission to get his average above A-Rods. Swisher on a mission to kill our good spirits.

Tbs jumping the gun. On commercials.

307. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Random Springsteen snippet cued during the broadcast.

308. David N says:

Grandysteal!

309. jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

Alright…time for the commute. Hope the lead is bigger by the time I get home.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Tell me you have the At Bat 12 App. Come on man, step your fan game up.

310. The Real Greg says:

Gardner’s still standing at first base.

311. David N says:

Okay, we got one. Time for CC to hold it.

312. Hummingbird S. says:

6 straight sliders… and he makes an out.