Oct

Baseball America’s 2012 Draft Report Cards

Baseball America published their AL East Draft Report Cards yesterday, though they aren’t a report card in the sense that they hand out grades or anything like that. They instead break down each club’s draft in a variety of categories, like Best Pure Hitter (sixth rounder OF Rob Refsnyder), Best Defensive Player (eight rounder OF Taylor Dugas), Best Fastball (fourth rounder RHP Corey Black), and Closest To The Majors (sixth rounder RHP Nick Goody).

The publication gave a lot of love to a pair of relatively unheralded late-round high arms, RHP Brady Lail (18th round) and RHP Dayton Dawe (15th). Lail was said to have an “above-average curve” with a “chance for three average to plus pitches” if he fills out his 6-foot-2, 175 lb. frame. Dawe is touted for his “clean delivery and a chance for a four-pitch mix.” Baseball America says Goody should be on the fast track like David Robertson back in the day thanks to his “90-91 mph fastball and short, sharp slider.” That’s one bandwagon I’m glad I jumped on early.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. CountryClub says:

It’s actually free. No sub required.

2. CountryClub says:

“RHP Ty Hensley (1) sits at 92-95 mph and touches 97. New York reduced his bonus from $1.6 million to $1.2 million after a physical revealed shoulder concerns, though he hasn’t had any health issues. Best Secondary Pitch:Hensley had one of the draft’s best curveballs, an upper-70s breaker that he locates well.”

Good to hear about the curve.

3. Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

I look forward to people no longer endlessly bitching about our farm system. Ah, who am I kidding.

4. JohnC says:

A welcome breath of fresh air after all the Arod BS.

5. Reggie C. says:

Ok. Now i’m intrigued. Does Nick Goody start next season off in High-A and aimed for a AA promotion? If we’re talking fast-track for a reliever with seasons of college ball experience then Goody should be at AA rather soon, right?

• CountryClub says:

You could probably use Montgomery as an example. I think, but not positive, he started in Low A this yr.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, Goody was on basically the same track in 2012 as Montgomery was on in 2011. A few innings in short season and on to Charleston. (Goody did get a taste of Tampa, which Montgomery didn’t in 2011, for whatever that’s worth.) Montgomery and Robertson both made AA the year after they were drafted. (Montgomery started in Tampa this season.)

6. Go Back To Rainbow Connection says:

That’s one bandwagon I’m glad I jumped on early.

Why? What difference would it make?

• Graig not Craig says:

When Goody starts slinging for the Yankees – Mike can be the guy who says – “I told you so.” Of course – if Goody flops, we will never hear about it again. Funny how that works, isn’t it?

• Go Back To Rainbow Connection says:

It’s a middle reliever, and one who went and had success at college for a big name program. I think it goes without saying he’ll have a fast track to the majors when compared to other draftees.

I don’t know, hard to be impressed and have anything but a “Who gives a shit?” attittude.

• jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

Considering how many people read RAB and comment here, I’d wager quite a few people value Mike’s thoughts and predictions.

• Jim Is Bored(CC the Savior) says:

Mike’s actually pretty accountable with this stuff, and if you care that much, literally all of it is in the archives.

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

As far as comebacks go, you’re no Andy Pettitte.

7. JohnC says:

Guess they weren;t impressed with 2nd rounder Austin Aune. He was thought to have a pretty high ceiling, but was a little disappointing this Summer in the GCL. The only pick I was disappointed they couldn’t get was Vincent Jackson. Hope they get another shot at him in 3 years

• CountryClub says:

They did mention him a couple of times:

Fastest Runner: SS Austin Aune (2) adds plus speed to an athletic overall frame. He covers 60 yards in 6.5-6.6 seconds

Best Athlete: Aune had a football scholarship to play quarterback at Texas Christian. With speed, strength and a plus arm, he’ll stay at shortstop until he plays his way off.

Before anyone yells at me, the link above is free.

• Ted Nelson says:

I wouldn’t say Aune was dissappinting. Didn’t tear it up, but held his own his first half season as a pro.

8. dp says:

The most interesting player by far for me is Chris Breen. He’s an imposing young hitter.

9. JohnC says:

Pete O’Brien intrigues me as well. He went on a real power surge after he recovered from a bad wrist to hit 10 Hrs this summer.

10. Wayne says:

What are Brady lail ‘s other pitches and what are dayton dawe ‘s four pitches. Do any of them have a great changeup. Did Brady lail change his delivery I heard he did. How is it delivery described now?

11. Wayne says:

Brady Lail has big hands and played shortstop so he is athletic. His big hands and his athleticism would compare to last years pick Hayden Sharp and latino prospect Rafael Depaula. Brady lail could fill out like blake beavan did for seattle mariners. Brady said he is going to try and gain weight during offseason. Brady is also a met fan so he won’t see it as big a deal if he were pitching for his favorite team growing up. Hayden sharp is a three sport athlete which is something yankees should pay attention to. It used to be the pitcher was the best athlete on the team. Plus Hayden is 6ft 6 inches 190 lbs and actually has the biggest hands out of our minor league pitchers. Hayden was also not fan of any team growing up so he won’ t get caught up in the aura necessarily either. Rafael Depaula who has a michael vick body and could be mistakened for a track star or football quarterback and is 6ft 3 in and 210 lbs and throws in mid 90′s with a fluid delivery. His background in dominican republic the way they are drilled to workout in there. Look at his video lifting tires and using the sledge hammer on youtube real intense workout. I bet you the three I mentioned first will succeed wherever they end up and are more likely to succeed more than anyone in our minor leagues. Another pick from this year Ty Hensley reminds me of chad billingsley with his thick legs but does not have as thick a back. I project him high but don’t project him as high as the other three prospects I mentioned. Dayton Dawe with his delivery from what I have seen of it is a delivery like a reliever to me. I don’t see it as smooth as the baseball America says. Daytona delivery need some fat trimmed of of it. It seems too long , but if he has four pitches I say he has slight chance to be a starter. A good chance at being good starter in the early part of his career. His delivery he learned from a reliever remember that! The Austin aune pick could be our best position player in the future outside of Gary Sanchez. He is either going to replace Derek jeter or be our future center fielder. I see him as a great lead off hitter potentially. Nick Goody a bigger David Robertson but I also think he could close too unlike David Robertson. Nick has a better body more durable to me who lives for the big moment. The best picks from this years draft I think years from now will turn out to be Brady lail and austin aune