Regular Season Record Last Week: 3-0 (28 RS, 7 RA)
Regular Season Record: 95-67 (804 RS, 668 RA, 96-66 pythag. record), won AL East by two games
Playoff Record: 1-0 lead in ALDS (7 RS, 2 RA)
Playoff Schedule This Week: ALDS Game Two @ Orioles (Mon.), Tues. OFF, ALDS Game Three vs. Orioles (Weds.), ALDS Game Four vs. Orioles (Thurs., if necessary), ALDS Game Five vs. Orioles (Fri., if necessary)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees came home to the Bronx for the final three games of the regular season on Monday, and they hammered Clay Buchholz in the opener against the Red Sox. Raul Ibanez was the late-inning hero in Tuesday’s win, then they blew Boston out in the season finale. The Yankees clinched the AL East and the best overall record in the league on the final day of the season.
- The Orioles beat the Rangers in the wildcard play-in game on Friday, setting up an intra-divison ALDS matchup. The Yankees took the series opener last night behind CC Sabathia and a big late-inning rally.
- Injury News: Mariano Rivera (knee) threw off flat ground in August but is not a consideration for the postseason. Brett Gardner (elbow) has been cleared by doctors and has no restrictions moving forward. Jayson Nix (hip) worked out late last week. Top pitching prospect Manny Banuelos (elbow) had Tommy John surgery last week and will miss all of next season.
- Both Gardner and Nix were healthy enough to make the ALDS roster over Andruw Jones, Casey McGehee, and others. Derek Lowe made the cut over Ivan Nova and Cody Eppley. Andy Pettitte will start Game Two while Hiroki Kuroda will start Game Three.
- On the minor league side, the Yankees hired former top prospect Drew Henson as a coach. They also re-signed RHP Matt Daley while signing LHP Abel Mora. LHP Justin Thomas was outrighted to Triple-A. OF Zoilo Almonte will play winter ball.
- OF Tyler Austin, C Gary Sanchez, and OF Mason Williams all cracked Baseball America’s top 20 Low-A South Atlantic League prospects list. The Yankees were shut out of the Short Season NY-Penn League list, however.
- The Yankees secured the 29th overall pick in the 2013 draft, though they could also forfeit that pick as free agent compensation this winter.
- MLB finalized new eight-year broadcasting agreements with FOX and TBS that will more than double the revenue given to each team. Derek Jeter topped jersey sales for the third straight year.
- Hal Steinbrenner said jobs are not on the line pending the team’s finish in the postseason.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.