Oct

Open Thread: World Series Game Two

(Doug Pensinger/Getty)

The Giants creamed the Tigers in Game One of the World Series last night to take a 1-0 series lead, as their (substantial) advantages in the bullpen and on defense were on full display. It certainly did hurt that Pablo Sandoval hit three homers either, the second three-homer game in AT&T Park history. The first? Kevin Elster back in 2000, the first official game ever played in the building. You know, you just can’t predict baseball, Suzyn.

Detroit will give the ball to Doug Fister in Game Two tonight, hoping he can give them all the innings Justin Verlander was unable to last night. Madison Bumgarner gets the ball for San Francisco after having a start skipped in the NLCS just because he’s worn down and losing effectiveness. He’ll be on ten day’s rest with a full bullpen behind him. A two games to none series lead would not insurmountable, Yankees fans sure know that, but it would be a commanding lead even as the series shifts back to Comerica Park.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. First pitch is scheduled for a little after 8pm ET and can be seen on FOX, plus the Thursday NFL game is the Buccaneers at the Vikings. Talk about either game or any other non-politics topic here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Joe F says:

Buying a 1996 WS hat for Christmas. It’s going to be sick. Retro apparel excites me.

2. Mick taylor says:

I hope selig’s henchmen umpires screw thetigers like they did the yanks in game 1 and 2 if the yanks win game 1 who knows what might have happened the yank hitters would loosen up and tigers tighten up and yanks win series.

• WhittakerWalt says:

So your theory is that the commissioner of baseball didn’t want the Yankees in the WS? Because everybody knows they were all hoping for Giants-Tigers, right?

• I am not the droids you're looking for...(I believe that children are our future) says:

Or that by posting it in thread after thread it might somehow become true?

3. vinny-b says:

Break news:

Rivera may retire (ESPN front page)

• jjyank says:

Ehhhh. The only piece of substance there was Cashman saying that he was “uncertain”. I really don’t think he’ll retire.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Now, I’m not saying that Andruw Marchand would pay you two dollars and a blow job for a quote to get Yankee fans all worked up and reading his story, but I’m not saying he wouldn’t either.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I once got a reacharound from Wally Matthews just for a scoop on something I may have heard about ARod.

• Stratman9652 says:

I don’t understand how guys like him, Wally Matthews and Joel Sherman keep jobs on the Yankees beat. The few nuggets of good info you get from them are surrounded by a million anti Girardi torch jobs.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Because that’s exactly what Yankee “fans” want to read. They don’t want to hear about how their team is one of the bests in the league they need the confirmation bias that they (the Yankees) are terrible and constantly surrounded by turmoil.

• Jersey Joe says:

I don’t think Rivera would ditch the team, especially after such a horrendous end to the season. He doesn’t want to see his last year and see that his team was swept out of the ALCS.

4. TomH says:

Well, if Mariano IS thinking of retirement, I hope he makes the decision really soon. I guess I wouldn’t be surprised–maybe a bit startled–if he announced a retirement. Big injury + 43 years, hell it’s not out of the question, whatever he may have said in May.

5. Athenian says:

After living in SF, can’t help but pull for them. This is a very good baseball team …would love to see Bumgarner in pinstripes as well as Pagan. Go Giants!!!!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I never lived there, but I’ve spent a ton of time there and have many friends that have been on the NYC/SF pipeline for years. It’s absolutely why I pull for them in any series the Yanks are not involved.

It’s just on the wrong coast. Sorry, west coasters. I even love your coastline so much more. It’s just so….far.

I find when I visit that it feels much closer.

6. The DonSlaught says:

So, are we on the horn with Torii right now that he’s unlikely to re-sign with the Angels? He’d look nice in RF for a 2 year deal. As much as I’d love Ichiro coming back, I’d take Torii in a heartbeat over him.

7. Jerry says:

It’s official, Mo MIGHT retire. Mark it down.

8. Jersey Joe says:

If we sign Ichiro, would Gomes be a Yankee also?

He can at least play RF at home, and maybe DH full time…I don’t know. He crushes lefties and with an all lefty hitting OF he could be a good acquisition.

vs righties
    1. Ichiro rf
    2. Jeter ss
    3. Cano 2b
    4. Teixeira 1b
    5. Rodriguez? 3b
    6. Granderson lf
    7. Gomes DH/Chavez getting start at 3rd vs. tough righties
    8. Martin c
    9. Gardner cf

Thoughts?

I got a lot of hate on here for a 3 way trade: Twins get Nunez/Warren, Nats get Span, Yankees get Morse, prospect from Nats, with Morse playing same role as Gomes.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Nah, you didn’t get hate. You just got the third degree on it.

I’ve liked Gomes ever since the TB days. I thought he’d become more, but I’d love him in the Thames/Ibanez role. Still would want a better starting option in RF, though.

• Jersey Joe says:

Well, I didn’t make a point of signing Ichiro but that was included in this “plan”.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d sign Ichiro, but he’d take Jones’s role. He’s my fourth outfielder. Anything else is a mistake.

You loved him in a short spurt. I don’t think you’d love him in 2012 over 162, even less when the guy in the other corner is Brett Gardner.

• Jersey Joe says:

To be honest, I was anti-Ichiro until his postseason performance. I think we have a need for speed, and we should be building for the future-this means getting older right now. I have no problem with this team’s age: but I’m looking forward to a 2015 (fingers crossed) Gardner in left, Williams in center, Austin in right.

• CANOlli says:

They could definitely use more athletes, but Ichiro as the primary RF option is a huge mistake. To me it seems more and more likely that BJ Upton is in pinstripes next year and the OF looks like: Gardner LF Upton CF Granderson Rf, with possibly Ichiro or whoever the fuck as the 4th OFer. By doing so, they allow themselves to let Grandy walk after next year without having two giant craters to fill in the OF

• Robinson Tilapia says:

….and I was pro-Ichiro when acquiring him, so we even each other out there.

• The DonSlaught says:

Wouldn’t make that trade – but a free agent signing, maybe.

• The DonSlaught says:

I still like Torii for 2 years

• Get Phelps Up says:

I’d like Gomes, but rather as a platoon partner with Ichiro.

• Jersey Joe says:

Well he and Chavez would share time at DH or RF and 1B/3B respectively.

Cashman made a point of having a DH who could play the field (Why he thought Ibanez could we may never know), so I don’t see Thome/Ibanez/DH only next year, not to mention Raul will likely demand more even though he’s proved that he’s not a fielder and he did not really have a bounce-back year: he raised his OPS 50 points, not much else.

• MannyGeee says:

He thought Ibanez could play in the OF in a pinch, and by ‘in a pinch’ he means ‘better than Johnny Damon”

9. Anthony says:

Can’t believe they sent Fielder. He was out no question.

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

Surprises happen, and Mo doesn’t owe anyone jack shit, but it still seems like a pretty safe bet to me he’ll be in pinstripes next season.

• jjyank says:

I think so too. Mo will be back. Or my inner child will find him and drag his old ass back to Yankee Stadium itself.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Every single offseason it seems like we hear something about Mo considering retiring.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Well the dude is in his 40s now playing a professional sport. He probably does consider retiring every off season.

• Elton Cod says:

The actual phrase in the article is ‘having second thoughts about possibly retiring’. I think about ‘possibly’ doing things all the time – possibly getting a job, possibly becoming a billionaire, possibly going to the moon, et cetera. Alas, nobody writes news articles about how I may possibly be thinking about those possibilities.

(Since it’s considered news that Mo thought about possibly retiring, are we supposed to assume that on the 350 days of the year when this isn’t reported, Mo did not think at all about whether or not he would retire, whether he possibly could, when he should, et cetera?)

11. Mike HC says:

Damn, that was nasty. Hopefully it got him in a “good” spot

12. CANOlli says:

HELMETS FOR PITCHERS!!! you just reached new heights Mr McCarver

• Bo Knows says:

It’s not a stupid idea, honestly I’m shocked no one has really mentioned it before. We’ve been lucky so far that no one has been killed by a come backer, but the law of averages say that it is a matter of time that it does. The hard part would be designing one that wouldn’t be a hindrance to the pitcher

• Bo Knows says:

and when I said averages, I meant probability

• Mike HC says:

How about using a lighter type padding. I’m not even going to pretend to know what would reduce brain injury, but a light padding might make a lot of difference and less of an annoyance than a helmet.

• Bo Knows says:

definitely a possibility, hopefully with the technology that exists now they design something, that could absorb the brunt of the force

13. CANOlli says:

btw, props to RAB for the Coppola advertisement at the top right

14. MannyGeee says:

Wow, I saw someone say it last night, but goddam does Hunter Pence look like he’s beaming on blow… That scumbaggy beard is not helping his case…

15. MannyGeee says:

Also, Prince Fielder diving for anything is high comedy…

16. MannyGeee says:

So back to this afternoons conversation… It’s not the offensive part of Russell Martins game that bothers me the most, because pitchers and catchers (non Posada edition) don’t hit… It’s the fallacy of Russell’s defensive prowess along with the general lack of hitting that irks me. Give me one (Montero) or another (Jose Molina)…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I agree with you. However, how much stock should the “intelligent” fan put into things like “the pitchers like working with him,” and what we tend to hear about catchers who we otherwise want to maim *coughchrisstewartcough*?

• The DonSlaught says:

Napoli

• Mike HC says:

The pitching has been very strong under Martin. Tough to say how much is the pitchers and how much Martin, and how much it is anything would have been an upgrade over Posada, but it is still tough to dismiss.

• Winter says:

According to baseball-reference, Martin had an oWAR of 2.2 in 2012. So he was actually an above-average catcher offensively (at least by one stat). The only AL catchers with a better oWAR were Matt Weiters, Joe Mauer, and Carlos Santana.

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll admit it. I always liked da panda.

18. Robinson Tilapia says:

Here’s an interesting question: I’m definitely rooting for the Giants because I’m a fan of the city they play in. Anyone else feel a pull towards a non-Yankee team because you like their city?

If Santa Fe or Portland had a baseball team, I think I’d be in love.

• Jerome S. says:

Does Boston have a team?
      Maybe that.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I’d love it if Portland had a baseball team.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Can you imagine the stadium food?

• Get Phelps Up says:

Awesome. And also I’d be able to actually live close to a baseball team.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Where do you live?

I only spent a few days over there. We flew into SF a few years ago and drove up the PCH, stopping for a night in southern Oregon and doing three nights in Portland (when it was 105 degrees a few years back) before ending in Seattle. Great vacation.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I live outside of Eugene. It’s really nice, only a few really ohmygodsohot days in the summer (which it looks like you ran into) and the winters aren’t super cold, although one does get tired of continuous of drizzly 50 degree days. There’s a lot of great places within 100 miles too. I’ve been to Seattle to see the Yankees each of the last 3 years and next year I’m going to both the Dodgers and Padres series in California. Can’t wait for that.

• jjyank says:

Well, DC and the Nats, but you knew that already.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

OK….fine…..city you DON’T live in.

• jjyank says:

I wish Montreal had a team again. I know they did rather recently before they became the Nats, so maybe the fan base isn’t there. But Montreal is a freaking awesome city. I went to school about an hour and a half from Montreal, and we used to go up there all the time. Because, you know, the drinking age is 18. Great bar scene, cool city.

That’s all I got really. I far more well travelled abroad than I am within the US. I’ve been to Vegas, that’s be cool too.

Nothing to do at all with Club Super Sex, I’m sure…

• Joe F says:

Boston was a nice city, but hell no.

Cleveland was pretty cool, but hell no.

I love one team.

• Joe F says:

I do like the Giants crazy bullpen guys though. Wilson and Romo.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Not because I like their city, no (I’m not counting the Mets, obviously). But I DO have a soft spot for the Pittsburgh Pirates since Honus Wagner is one of my favorite players.

• Mike HC says:

I love going to Yankees games at Camden Yards and also think they have a great fanbase, but I’m not about to root for the Orioles all that much really. Although Wieters and Jones are very easy players to root for.

19. Robinson Tilapia says:

These types of innings are so much more fun when some other team is suffering through them.

20. Scheister says:

Nice baseball. They got the run in with the bases loaded, I forgot what that looked like.

21. The Real Greg says:

In the end, the worst thing for the Tigers was that they swept the Yankees. Too much time off has left them rusty.

22. Effthisnoise says:

Phil Coke thinks hes a real pitcher all the sudden. Such a bag of douche

23. The Real Greg says:

“Senor Slider” Sergio Romo

24. Hall and Nokes says:

This is not helping to shake the view that Detroit is/was pedestrian.

25. Effthisnoise says:

Eff you detroit

26. Eddard says:

The Giants are putting on a clinic this series and I just hope the Yankee F.O. is watching. They’re giving us the blueprint of how to beat the Tigers who have ended our season in 06, 11 and 12. Most of the time you can’t hit HRs and tonight was a great example of why small ball wins in the postseason. You saw when the Giants had a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs they got the sac fly, they got the groundball to score a run. They got the sac bunt when they needed it. Put the ball in play and good things will happen. Strike out and nothing good will happen.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Not giving up any runs helped a lot.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I like how you just casually ignore the three homers the Giants hit last night, because tonight’s game fits into your phony narrative so much better.

• MannyGeee (Eddard's Big left handed hairy monster) says:

Not sure if you remember, but the Giants were not very good for a while there. I am sure (rational) people would rather see a 90+ win Yankees team year over year and a “shot” in October than six 70-win seasons and become the Giants.