Oct

Ortiz close to returning to Red Sox on two-year deal

Via Gordon Edes: David Ortiz and the Red Sox are closing to finalizing a two-year pact that will ensure the slugger will continue tormenting the Yankees through 2014. The two sides hope to announce the deal later this week, and it’s expected to be worth something in the $20-25M range.

I don’t believe the Yankees actually would have signed Ortiz, but he would have been a very intriguing DH option had he hit the open market this winter. The 36-year-old fits the patient, left-handed slugger mold perfectly, plus he knows all about the AL East, being in a big market, dealing with a crazy media environment, playing in big games, yadda yadda yadda. Like I said, I don’t think the Yankees would have signed Ortiz, but I’m not going to pretend I hadn’t thought about it.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Rey22 says:

I have an irrational hatred of David Ortiz for all the damage he has caused the Yankees over the years, so I would hate to see him in pinstripes. This is better. I hope he finally collapses this year and the Sox are stuck paying him for 2.

• vicki says:

your hatred is perfectly rational. what makes his asshole behavior even worse is all the “he’s such a great guy/teammate” crap perpetuated in the media.

• You have information of otherwise?

• vicki says:

ask kevin gregg.

• Cuso says:

He gets away with bitching/complaining about the media when they don’t even say a bad word about him. He’s never taken to task about it.

Believe it or not, the Boston and New York media are vastly different. Their heroes can do no wrong in Boston. Media takes it soft on Papi – always has. Ortiz would get slammed for months in NY if he ever mouthed off like that here.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Boston loves you as long as you’re still on the team. Once you’re gone they can’t stand you. Look at Nomar. If Pedey ever goes somewhere else, they’ll hate him too.
            Yankees fans, on the other hand, we welcome our former stars.
            I still remember Tino coming back as a member of the Cardinals, hitting TWO homeruns in a game against us, and getting a standing O from the Yankees faithful. Matsui did something similar as a member of the Angels.
            I don’t see that happening at Fenway.

2. Jerkface says:

Even though I hate Ortiz, he would have been a great pickup. I wish A-rod/Mark Teixeira could find the Ortiz magic and turn around their mid 30s like he did

• Knoxvillain says:

You know he “turned it around” by juicing, right? Not that I wouldn’t want A-Rod and Tex to start, I’m just asking.

• Pat D says:

You know that hasn’t been proven and that he’s still collecting all the data.

• viridiana says:

Yes, that showed what an anazing phony Ortiz is. After his name was leaked as one of the players who tested positve for PEDs, he acted incredulous and offended and promised “I’ll get to the bottom of this.” Never heard another word from him. He’s always been treated with kid gloves by Boston press, which didn’t dare pursue the matter.

• Steve says:

Ortiz is a Juicer.. Just like A Roid..

• MannyGeee (Eddard's Big left handed hairy monster) says:

I thought he said he did it on rice and beans… wait a minute. I eat rice and beans, i cant hit a change up worth shit.

something is amiss….

• Jerkface says:

I approve of players using PEDs. Doing steroids means taking tremendous legal, professional, and health risks in order to benefit your team and help them win. Those guys are the ultimate team players.

That being said, what proof is there that Ortiz is juicing *right now*? He hasn’t been caught.

3. Joe F says:

I would never want that guy on the Yankees.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I feel like if he ever leaves the Red Sox, he’ll immediately turn back into 2009-May 2010 David Ortiz.

• Francesa says:

And probably test positive. It’s the George Mitchell factor. No major player on a team owned by Senator Mitchell or favored by the commissioner can ever be caught using PEDs. No coincidence Manny got caught after leaving Red Sox and Ryan Braun plays for Selig’s old team the Brewers.

4. vin says:

The Sox have managed to get 10 years from David Ortiz for about 85 million. I know he was non-tendered prior to ’03, where the Sox signed him, then he was arbitration eligible in ’04 (kind of like Russell Martin’s situation). Even with one or two seasons with team control, that’s a massive coup by the stupid Red Sox.

5. Bill says:

They need to get people to come to the website in the offseason. What else are they going to write about in the days following the season? Relax a little bit there guy and go read somewhere else if you don’t like it

6. Pat D says:

Glad to know I can go right on hating him.

7. Jersey Joe says:

not related,

but,

GEOVANY SOTO / FRANCISCO CERVELLI 2013 PLATOON

8. vicki says:

off-topic, but lol @ ozzie.

9. Robinson Tilapia says:

One less Sox hero to steal. Oh well.

Would have LOVED for him to have claimed a True Yankee moment, just because.

10. RetroRob (Spirit of Eddard) says:

Good. Last thing the Yankees need is another lefthanded, power-hitting hairy beast. Forget about Obama or Romney in 2012. It’s all about contact, slap hitters for 2013!

• Cuso says:

Please see: 1982 Yankees

“I want this Spring Training run like a boot camp.”

G.M.S. and his Go-Go Yankees

• MannyGeee (Eddard's Big left handed hairy monster) says:

I dont think David Ortiz is all that hairy, to be honest. He seems to be the kind of guy who manscapes regularly, and a very giving and accommodating lover…

Be careful Rob, calling Ortiz hairy is EXACTLY how rumors get started…

11. Mike says:

The Red Sox are probably going to go after Kuroda too.