Nov

Cano among five AL MVP finalists

MLB (and I guess the BBWAA) is trying to generate more buzz for their end-of-season hardware, so they’re now naming finalists for each major award in advance of the winner actually being announced. Got it? Good. Robinson Cano is one of five AL MVP finalists, joining Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Beltre, and Josh Hamilton. I could easily see him finishing anywhere from third through fifth, but he won’t win. Miggy clinched that with the Triple Crown.

Here are the rest of the award finalists. The Yankees didn’t place anyone in the Cy Young and Rookie of the Year races while Joe Girardi did not make the Manager of the Year cut. None of that is surprising. Derek Jeter wasn’t able to sneak into the MVP top five, but I bet he still finishes in the top ten. All of the major awards will be announced next week.

Categories : Asides

1. forensic says:

They’re also announcing them all live on MLBN to try to build interest. Not so sure it’ll work, but to each their own.

2. Lefty_Coach says:

I wouldn’t be so certain that Miguel Cabrera has it locked up. Cano had a great year, but I’m not 100% certain he was the most valuable player on his own team. Jeter is right there with him in that regard.

• RetroRob says:

Cabrera totally has the award locked up. Trout will be second. That’s not how I’d vote, but that’s the way I see it going.

• vicki says:

WAR, schmWAR, right? intangibles!

stop eating shit and you will evolve.*

*i read that on a bathroom wall; truer words.

3. Elton Cod says:

Cano for MVP this year? Haha. Hahahahahahahahaha.

Did they watch the second half of his season? Or the playoffs. “Most Disappointing”…”Most Frustrating”…”Most Likely to GIDP or Strike Out with RISP”…but “Most Valuable”, no, no way. Not for someone who can fail so frequently and consistently and be so bad about pitch selection but seem totally indifferent and unwilling to fixing his swing.

• forensic says:

The votes are submitted before the playoffs.

• DC says:

Eltonworld.

• jjyank says:

Cano had the best year of his career in 2012.

150 wRC+, .394 wOBA. His 2010 season comes close, but this was literally the best year he’s ever had. And you post a comment like that? Jeez dude. He’s not going to win the MVP (that’ll be between Cabrera or Trout), but stop acting like a spoiled fan.

• jjyank says:

I’ll throw some more on there. Highest B% of his career. Highest ISO of his career. Tied the most games he played in his career. Highest OBP of his career. Highest SLG of his career.

But he’s a bum, right? *face palm* Don’t let statistics get in the way of a shitty narrative, huh?

• Get Phelps Up says:

Don’t even bother. Haters will hate.

• Andrew 518 says:

Yeah, and some times statistics get in the way of common sense. I don’t think he’s a bum, he’s in my top three favorite players, but I don’t think you can seriously say that his performance wasn’t dissapointing this year, at a minimum to call this his *best* season is…well kind of silly.

• jjyank says:

Is it silly? Can you give me an example of how it wasn’t his best season? Because almost every stat out there says it is, it’s not as if I’m cherry picking. If we don’t use stats, what are we using? Narratives? The good old eye test? What are we basing this one? Statistics record history, so that our memories do not distort the past (and they do). Sure, they can be misused. But I feel like the stats I stated were pretty comprehensive. He did almost everything better this year than any year of his career. How is that not his best season?

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

But he didn’t set a career high in Hits, RBI, BA or SB! Sure he won the Gold Glove and set career highs in literally every other statistic, but everyone knows that those ones don’t count!

• forensic says:

People are always going to go a bit overboard given the expectations on him now, which are fair, but to ignore all of his deficiencies as you guys are doing now is almost as bad as ignoring his overall great numbers as some others are doing.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

He set career highs in almost every category.

How was it not the best year of his career?

• Get Phelps Up says:

What were his deficiencies besides his low RBI total? I guess you could say his RISP numbers but those weren’t even that bad, just not as great as they were in 2010-2011.

• Mr. Sparkle says:

Compare them to Cabrera and Trout, the top MVP competitors, and the RISP numbers are not so great. Plus, his numbers with the bases loaded were plain awful.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

I think any argument that he should not be in the top 5 MVP list should be to compare him to everyone who didn’t make that list, not to the obvious 1-2 finishers.

“Compare them to Cabrera and Trout,” really? That’s like saying Pujols wasn’t great early in his career because Bonds was so much better.

• jjyank says:

“All his deficiencies”? The only thing he really did worse was hit against LHP. But considering it was a 1 year thing and he still managed to set career highs in most meaningful offensive categories despite that, I don’t think it’s a big problem. What are deficiencies are there that make up “all”? He’s never been a burner, so I don’t think bothering with base running numbers means anything. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous for someone to call his season “disappointing”. He’s the best player on this team who had his best year to date. If you really want to argue that another season was slightly better, fine. I will disagree, but at the most, it is pretty much semantics.

• forensic says:

For both you and ‘GPU’, we’re only considering a one year thing, so excusing a deficiency as a one year thing makes zero sense.

As you stated, he was an absolute zero against lefties. He was also invisible with RISP (and other similar situations) for a majority of the season, leading to some of the other lacking numbers that others with choose to point out.

His baserunning is always pretty bad, so I’m not even going to bother with that. But, say what you will about the defensive metrics, but I also feel he took a bit of a step back defensively this year too.

Don’t jump on me and try to lump me in with the original commenters you were replying to. But to ignore everything that doesn’t fit your choice or your favorite player is denying part of the story too.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

What we were responding to was someone saying that it was silly to call this year Robbie’s best year.

This year was the best year of his career, hands down. The fact that he wasn’t great in some areas doesn’t mean that on the whole this wasn’t the best year of his career, which is what we were pointing out.

You’re arguing something completely different here. You’re not wrong, it’s just not the same conversation.

• forensic says:

Not really, because though the most recent replies were to the guy about his individual best season, it all started with Elton about him being an MVP candidate at all, which is where JJ started his support, with no acknowledgement of his deficiencies.

• jjyank says:

I specifically said that Robbie should not win the MVP. Just that it’s not crazy that he’s in the top 5. All I’m saying is that it’s ridiculous to call his season disappointing when it was the best of his career. And yes, I realize it was not you who said that. I’m not sure what your point here is.

• OldYanksFan says:

Robbie had a .830 OPS w/RISP. Lower than his non-RISP OPS, but not quite ‘invisible’. The ‘Men On’ stat is almost as important as RISP, where Robbie has a .957 OPS. So yeah, hopefully Robbie is better next year w/RISP, but let’s not act like his 2012 numbers made him useless.

• Mr. Sparkle says:

You can cite all the numbers you want. While Cano had a good year, it easily was not his best, nor is it MVP award winning caliber. Watching the actual games is enough evidence of that. If you want to go to the numbers, his numbers with runners in scoring position are all I need to point you to. Particularly in comparison with Cabrera and Trout.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

So what you’re saying is…that the people jjyank said should win the MVP had better years than Robbie?

And which of Robbie’s years was better? Please, enlighten me.

4. MB923 says:

I’m actually stunned that the National League writers put Headley in the top 5 (I think he deserves to be there, I’m just stunned that they put him in there)

5. Andrew 518 says:

Considering they vote for this before the play offs why do we have to wait so long each year for them to anounce the award winners.

What exactly are they marketing here. Everything has be turned into some kind of dragged out media extravaganza. ‘

I’m a fan….I care all ready…just give me the results.

You’d have to market it less if we could find out the winners within a few weeks of the season being over.

6. your mom says:

Next October:

“Superstar,” Scott Boras.

7. jay says:

“Miggy clinched that with the Triple Crown.”

I feel like I’m reading a 1980s newspaper about Jim Rice. Mike might be right, but I sure hope not.