2012 Record: 95-67 (804 RS, 668 RA, 96-66 pythag. record), won AL East, swept in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- Mariano Rivera informed the Yankees that he intends to pitch next season after some having some second thoughts. The two sides will discuss a new contract this week.
- Rafael Soriano officially opted out of his contract, and the Yankees exercised their club options for Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, and David Aardsma. A total of 13 Yankees became free agents this week, though only Soriano, Nick Swisher, and Hiroki Kuroda received qualifying offers.
- The Yankees have some interest in re-signing Ichiro Suzuki and Raul Ibanez to short-term contracts, and they also have interest in Torii Hunter. Kuroda is “content” with another one-year contract and he’s reportedly deciding between the Yankees and Japan.
- Pitching coach Larry Rothschild admitted that the club has discussed lightening CC Sabathia’s workload at times. The Yankees are considering moving Brett Gardner to center field and Granderson to a corner next year.
- The Yankees will keep Cesar Cabral through the offseason and take another look at the 2011 Rule 5 Draft pick during Spring Training. Fellow Rule 5 pick Brad Meyers was returned to the Nationals and Casey McGehee elected free agency.
- Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu was posted by his team and MLB clubs will soon be able to start bidding for his services.
- Cano and Mark Teixeira won Gold Gloves at their respective positions. Russell Martin was a finalist for the award as well.
- Gil Patterson was hired as the minor league pitching coordinator while Nardi Contreras was re-assigned.
- Yankee Stadium is in good shape following Hurricane Sandy.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)