Nov

Frankenstorm Open Thread Day IV

(New York Post)

We’ve now moved on from the rain and wind portion of Hurricane Sandy to the gridlock. The ungodly amount of gridlock. Although subway service has been partially restored, getting into the city today was a pure nightmare thanks to HOV checkpoints and the sheer volume of people going to work for the first time this week. Power is slowing starting to come back in the Tri-State Area but gasoline is still at a premium (no pun intended). Hopefully the upcoming weekend will help clear things up.

Here is your open thread for the evening. The NFL game is the Chiefs at the Chargers, plus there’s NBA action as well. You folks know what to do by now (no politics!), so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Big Member says:

something smells like fire. and that can mean only one thing. big members hot stove is burning and he will be covering it all offseason long.

first of, big member has a few free agent predictions.my friend bill showed me this website called mlbtraderumors and i gotta say their free agent predictions are quite sily. i have used my inside souces to develop a very comprehensive list of aproximate free agent signings

Zack Grenke: Houson Astros. Mad Zack is crazy mutherucker. he has serious issues and can only play when nobody is watching him. well houton is the perfect destiation! i am pretty sure that people how live in houston dont even know they have a baseball team near town.

Josh Hamilton: Brewers. well this is quite obvius. a match made in heaven. Brewers can use Joshs chronic drinking to market the team. thnk of all the comercials and adds josh will appear in. bud and miller will be fighting over the rights to make him the spokesman

BJ Upton, Mike Bourn, Torri Hunter- Braves. they are all close friends and wont miss the chance of playing near thier hmetown atlanta. think of all the steals the team will get. i think mike brought up a good point a few weeks back of a mccan for granderson trade, braves would be even more inclined to do this trade.

Marco Scutaro – Yankees. My inside souces tell me that yankees are very mch interested in marco. this man symbolizes grit. he is one of them all school players who care noithing about their bodies. we need more players like him on the team instead of chokers. and blue lipped bench warmers

2. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

It’s times like these I’m happy I don’t have a car. My bus is running close to on schedule again and I know of people who ran out of gas while waiting in line to get gas only to be told that they can’t put gas in their car because they’ve been waiting for four hours for a gas station that’s only selling to people with tanks.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, that sucks. However, having a car saved me about $90 on Tuesday. Bank was open, and I was supposed to come in. Metro was down, and that’s how I usually commute. If I didn’t have a car, I wouldn’t have had to work. But I drove in, DC allowed free street parking for the day, and I got paid for a full shift. Yay cars! One of my coworkers doesn’t have a car, didn’t go to work that day, and also didn’t get paid.

Plus, my car is my baby. I love her.

• Dan says:

With your political science degree and your love of star wars you must drive a Benz and date models.

• jjyank says:

It’s really hilarious that people still attempt to attack me because of what I majored in. Seriously, it makes me laugh. The idiots posting this stuff are probably the same people that would kiss my feet in about 6 months.

3. Athenian says:

Man, who cares about trades. First worthless Billy Connors is fired and now Nardi is “reassigned”. What the hell is going on in Yankee land?

It is as though they are finally seeing the ineptness of producing pitching in the same lens as we the fans. I am shocked I tell ya, just shocked.

• forensic says:

And it’s spreading beyond the pitching. They’re actually discussing swapping Granderson and Gardner, something that was obvious the second the trade was made.

Whatever has gotten into the water at YS, I hope it stays there for awhile. Some nice things might come out of it.

Next thing you know they’ll be trading somewhat questionable prospects when their stock is high and keeping the ‘elite’ ones…

4. my office building still has no power…not gonna lie…sitting around all day is terrible.

I don’t have a car, but I filled my sister’s car up today and it took me 3 hours.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

It would be faster to drive east to LI and fill up. Gotta be gas stations out there with much shorter lines (and probably lower prices). Of course, I don’t know this for a fact, as I’m not there.

• Robinson Tilapia (We go hard) says:

I am NOT moving my car for days.

Got to watch the never-ending “bus bridge” line at the Barclays Center today. People were certainly getting on buses, but I wasn’t sure if what I was watching was well-run or shitshow. Some of it certainly bordered on shitshow.

I actually went into the office briefly. Thankfully, I work against the flow of traffic, deeper into Brooklyn. The emergency exit doors in the subway terminal were open. You just waltzed right in and waited for your train. It was bizarre indeed.

No one can do it like NYC does it. We go hard indeed.

5. Pat D says:

So happy to have power back. Now it’s going to be time to clean up the yard and figure out when we can get the tree removed.

Gas stations have been crazy here, too, and still not everyone has power back. My older sister doesn’t so she’s staying with us tonight.

Hopefully things will be normal enough by Tuesday, since I think something important happens that day.

• jjyank says:

Wait, what’s Tuesday?

*baits Pat D*

Seriously though, glad you got power back. Hopefully those around you follow suit quickly.

• Pat D says:

Duh. Tuesday is the day that the new nWo DVD comes out. Hopefully it will be more comprehensive than the one they did about ten years ago.

• jjyank says:

Also the day that Halo 4 comes out! Fuck yeah.

• forensic says:

I can’t wait till Wednesday when the live and recorded representatives of nWo and Halo stop calling us at all hours of the day. They’re almost making it where I’d prefer a world without them. I certainly can’t endorse either product at this point, and for awhile in the future.

6. The Big City of Dreams says:

Food and Water Distribution for those that need it.

Dear NYCHA Residents:

Free packaged meals and drinking water will be given away at Distribution Centers in affected areas. Supplies will be distributed by members of the National Guard.

Distribution Centers will open:
    * Thursday, Nov. 1 from 3:00pm – 6:00pm
    * Friday, Nov. 2 from 7:30am – 12:30pm
    * Saturday, Nov. 3 and Sunday, Nov. 4 from 9:00am – 1:00pm

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Wow. While I’m glad this is happening, I can’t believe how bad things are there. So terribly disturbing.

CNN is saying another storm may be approaching, a Nor’easter. Still a little too early to tell for sure. Not as strong as Sandy, but could be 40-50MPH winds, with rain &/or snow.

• Robinson Tilapia (We go hard) says:

No electronic machines at stores means only cash. That means no food stamps/EBT to pay. The poor get fucked again.

Amongst the non-poor, it seems like every Manhattanite I know is now shacking up with a friend above Midtown until power comes back.

I thank my lucky stars I am where I am. I may be missing some strange cultural zeitgeist in Manhattan, but I’m pretty damn blessed to be in an intact part of NYC.

• Robinson Tilapia (We go hard) says:

Also, help my favorite neighborhood in all of New York.

Red Hook Initiative is coordinating and dispatching volunteers to where they are most needed in the neighborhood. You can contact RHI at 718-858-6782, or show up to volunteer at their office, located at 767 Hicks Street. There is a particular need for volunteers with medical training.

Red Hook Initiative is also in need of donations. To make a financial contribution, visit their website. The following much-needed items can also be donated at their 767 Hicks Street office:

non-perishable food, baby formula, diapers, and baby wipes
          ice
          water
          batteries
          flashlights
          candles
          toilet paper and other toiletries
          garbage bags, rubber gloves, cleaning supplies

7. Big Member says:

WOOOOOOHOOOO GARBAGE TRUCK FINALLY GOT HERE!

8. Rocky Road Redemption says:

So, to break from the depressing hurricane news, here’s an update on my current new Portal obsession.

This is ridiculously awesome (his “Still Alive” cover is great too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....ure=relmfu

Also, the Perpetual Testing Initiative is amazing. Seriously. I’d never think that a puzzle game could get this much playability out of it.

9. It’s insane how powerful this storm was. A number of people said it would be bad but it was actually worse.