Nov

Open Thread: GM Meetings

(Gregory Shamus/Getty)

Baseball’s annual GM Meetings kick off tomorrow in California and run through Friday, but don’t expect a crazy amount of hot stove news. The meetings are held primary to discuss various issues around the league, but GMs will meet with agents — Ken Davidoff and George King report that Brian Cashman will likely meet with Larry Reynolds this week, the agent for Torii Hunter and B.J. Upton — and each other to touch base in advance of the rest of the offseason. Three winters ago the groundwork for the Curtis Granderson three-team trade was laid at the GM Meetings even though the deal wasn’t completed for another month. It’s the first real event of the offseason, but it usually doesn’t yield much excitement.

Here is your open thread for the evening. There’s not much sports going on these days, just miscellaneous NBA action. I know the election was today, but please let’s curb the politics talk. There are plenty of places to discuss that stuff and a baseball site isn’t one of them. Thanks in advance. Enjoy the night.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Dan Gold says:

Obama

2. jjyank says:

Anyone get Halo 4 today? I pre-ordered it online, and won’t get it until tomorrow. Curious if anyone that has it has an opinion.

• Stratman9652 says:

All I know is I hope it is better than ODST. Although to be honest I haven’t played Halo 3′s campaign still. Got so burned out on the multi player I never got around to it.

• Alkaline says:

Nothing yet. Probably will wait until Friday.

• Big Member says:

Honestly, disappointed so far. Played half a dozen of multiplayer matches and I honetly prefer Reach. Only completed one campaign mission but is it just my TV or is text extremely small?

• jjyank says:

Can’t speak for the text. It’s gotten great reviews though. No offense, but considering you are the satirical Big Member, I have to immediately take what you say with a grain of salt.

• Anthony says:

Its awesome JJ. Campaign mode is great. Love the new weapons and the deeper story (make sure you find the terminals). Finally know what Forerunner looks like lol. Gonna start MP soon.

• jjyank says:

Thanks man! Appreciate the input. Question for you about the terminals, since I did hear about that. How hidden are they? I really want to get the full story, so I will want to find all the terminals. Do I need a guide up as I play to find them, or are they relatively accessible to find if you just explore decently?

• Anthony says:

IMO use a guide. I did and the places I found them weren’t too obvious (for example, one was right behind you after a short cutscene). I’m sure 99% of people would just walk forward and probably miss it. Oh, and you’ll need halo waypoint in order to watch them.

3. Pat D says:

Since I mentioned this last week, in honor of the nWo DVD that came out today, here’s the infamous promo.

4. mike r says:

Hey Mike-

Are the meetings available to the public like winter meetings? I’m located in SoCal and interested in going down to Indian Wells to cover it and meet people. Any info?

Thanks,
    Michael Rippe

Founder

5. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I promise, I am NOT trying to spark a political discussion, so please don’t start, but if any of you are following the election on TV, forget it. Follow on the Yahoo live blog. They called NH at least 20 minutes before it was reported on the News.

You’ll have to suffer through some dumb comments but that’s the price you pay I guess.

6. Pat D says:

I’m happy.

• Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Yeah the last four years have been great… Can’t wait for 4 more. Hasn’t gotten bad enough yet, I guess.

• Ethan says:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Do some research, learn some economics.

• Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Economy is terrible man even die hard Dem’s will admit that. I don’t think your main selling point should be on the economics of America. People are giving Obama one more chance. So he can start doing something anytime now. Also, he might actually want to help the people on the East Coast instead of partying with Jay-Z. Although you probably think everything is fine there as well.

7.2% unemployment rate. Wooooooo!! Let’s all celebrate that Ethan can continue to sleep all day.

That’s it from me. Go ahead and run the comment into the ground just like where America is going.

• Ethan says:

a) Economy is so much better when he first took office and the projections that it was going on. b) There have been so many republican blockades of things that would DRASITCALLY help the economy. Poor economic condition is not solely on obama but primarily on bush and vetoing republicans (i’m looking at you tea partiers).

You really think a tax cut on the ultra rich will help? Seriously? Maybe they’ll buy another sports team, or another super yacht or megajet. Seriously, trickle down economics doesn’t work. Bottom up is PROVEN by economists to be the most successful at spurring the economy.

DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE LOOKING LIKE A DUFUS.

• jjyank says:

While I generally agree with you, Ethan, I think we should respect Mike’s no politics rule. Let’s not allow this to spiral into a flame war. Agree to disagree and shut this thing down.

Yay baseball?

• Ethan says:

BASEBALL!!

Sorry. I cannot allow someone to attack either my views or views i feel strongly about without some kind of response.

GO YANKEES!

• YanksFan says:

Except nobody attacked your views. It is a fact that the last 4 years have not been great. You went into attack mode.

Also, where is it PROVEN that bottom up works? I see more where it does not work. The boom was in the 80′s & 90′s with trickle down.

McDonald’s hiring a fry guy is going to make me want to go there? A school system hiring a new teacher’s assistant is going to make me switch shcools?

Europe has always had higher unemployemnt than us. Numerous countries over there are already in backruptcy or on the verge. California cities going bankrupt.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Four more years of hero worship for a mediocrity. Can’t wait.

7. Prediction says:

Prediction Yankees send same team out on the field next year. All a waste of time………………..

8. Ethan says:

Wooooooooooooooooooo!! Celebrate good times c’mon!

9. Wayne says:

Raising taxes on the rich hurts the economy.
    There are so many examples of how big business creates jobs for the middle class. People who take phone calls ,secretarys have jobs in coorporations. Managers, people who work in the mail room exist in coorporations. The big oil company who do you think digs oil ft the ground middle class person. The guy who sells a yacht to a rich person is middle
    class. You say it’s a trickle down effect to give tax breaks to rich but most people retirement
    money (401k) comes from coorporations. You
    raise taxes on the rich middle class people
    have to work longer. How can people say the
    rich don’t pay their fair share. They are 3% of
    the population but pay 20% of the taxes
    middle class make up 97% so the taxes paid
    can be spread over the 97% so no one person pays too much if 97% were paid by
    middle class. But instead rich pay 17% higher
    taxes than what they make up so they pay
    more per person than middle class. That
    means rich are paying the middle class mans
    taxes.

taxes. So rich are already paying higher taxe and you want to raise raise taxes on them even more so that’s why the rich take their business to other countries. When are people going to realize it’s not just rich people who work in coorporations. You give tax breaks to big companies they can expand their business and offer these jobs that I’ve mentioned to middle class and poor people. You can go up in class from janitor to secretary secretary to administrator administrator to CEO of company. My uncle started out a in the mail room and retired as network administrator making off very well. The rich expand their business the guy who worked his whole life can retire and the next generation gets a shot. Ronald Reagan gave plenty of tax breaks to the rich and the economy had over 16 million jobs created. Who do you think that helped the middle class! So it’s been proven that it works! And tell me how is bush to blame he had 911 happen in the first 8 months of president. How is he to blame for that screwing up the economy in his first term. The second bush term the economy was actually good till the end. It collapsed because these Fannie may agencies forced banks to lend money to people who couldn’t afford to buy houses. Instead of letting the pay off their houses over 20 years the bank sold the debt to finance companies and the finance companies kept doing the same with other finance companies so the debt never got paid off. Those agencies were started by Clinton and continued under bush so large blame starts with Clinton and can’ t go completely to bush although he gets partial blame. The dot com scandal happened at end of Clinton admin and bush got the blame. The war in Iraq didnt make the economy any worse nor better. So how can democrats say 8 years of bush
    policy screwed up the economy!

other countries instead of America.

10. Pat D says:

Well, so much for no politics on this thread.

Sorry, Mike.