Nov

Open Thread: GM Meetings Day Three

The GM Meetings came to a close in California today, and the Yankees unsurprisingly left without any new players. The only team to make a significant move this week was the Blue Jays, who added Maicer Izturis. Brian Cashman told Chad Jennings that the team is “not on the verge of signing anyone … At least, I don’t get the feeling from my conversations that anybody on the other side of the fence is ready to jump in on whatever I’ve discussed yet.” That’s par for the course at this point of the winter. Hopefully they can get Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, and Mariano Rivera under contract within a week or two before moving on to bigger and better things.

Here’s your open thread for the night. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing tonight, but talk about whatever non-politics topic you want here. Have at it.

It’s always a bit of a pain to come up with photos for these things, so I’m going to just embed random MLB.com video clips until I get bored and think of something else.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

This is slightly political, so Mike I won’t mind if you delete it, but I cannot stand the unprofessionalism and immaturity of the news media in general in their reporting of the legalization of Marijuana in Colorado and Washington. In almost every single mention of it one anchor would burst out into fits of giggles like an 12 year old talking about sex while another feigned ignorance on the proper termanology to use here is an example of the worst of it from Fox and Friends: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tum.....o1_250.gif

As somebody who had hopes of becoming a journalist of some kind in the future it is a god damned embarrassment that the ONLY person to handle it with any sort of maturity or integrity was Jon Stewart. Good job of disillusioning me yet again “journalists.”

/end rant.

• CTRob says:

I appreciate your comment here as one of honest opinion but do you really think any one out there media wise is saying what THEY think? Journalist are paid to get the story, and to spin it the way that profits the news agency they work for the most.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

There is a difference though between adding the spin a company wants and having this conversation I saw on either CNN or MSNBC:
        Anchor 1:”I don’t get it why do you keep playing a sound that sounds like somebody inhaling bubbles.”
        Anchor 2: “I think that’s supposed to be the noise of somebody inhaling off of a bong—not that I know what a bong is.”
        Anchor 1: “Yes..what is this bong?!”

• Francesa says:

+ 1000

And I might add, like actors, many of them are playing a part. Unfortunately, many of those will end up believing their own scripted bloviating. But a dollar is a dollar.

• jjyank says:

Haha. I always drove better high than sober. Funny news anchors.

• OldYanksFan says:

You know Fox is not a News show, right? It is categorized as Entertainment.

2. stu phillips says:

How does cash keep his job.

3. Dennyneagleshooker says:

Hopefully Christian Garcia can rev some stuff up with the Nats and cop a starting spot in the spring…

4. Pat D says:

My dizzy spells are getting more aggressive. If no one sees any posts from me for more than, say, 2 weeks, it means I’m dead.

In other news, Argo is worth seeing.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Well, this is a rather alarming post, I must admit.

• Pat D says:

I’m being overreactive, but with the high blood pressure and other stuff, I mean, I could drop dead and I wouldn’t be surprised. Mostly because it’s impossible to be surprised once one is dead, but you know what I mean.

5. Brian S. says:

What did Slade Heathcott say on twitter? I saw in the chat someone mentioned that he said a few things and then had to delete his twitter because of it.

• Pat D says:

Yea, I’m curious about this too. I couldn’t find anything about it online.

• Mike E says:

@SladeHeathcott I can’t believe you dumb people voted for him again. Do you just want to become the second republic of china or something?You all are a joke

@SladeHeathcott I can’t believe this he’s going to run us so far into the ground the USA will be no more if it was up to him. He’s the worst pres ever.

@SladeHeathcott You all that voted for him I hope you feel it first. That’s rediculous you dumb sob.

Then he goes on to call one of his followers a douchebag.

• forensic says:

Not exactly shocking…

• Steve (different one) says:

Wow, regardless of your political affiliations he comes off like an immature tool here. The immature part can probably be forgiven because, well 21 year old kids ARE immature. But the tone here is horrible. Grow up Slade, you are a big part of this team’s long term plan.

6. I am not the droids you're looking for...(I believe that children are our future) says:

Mlbtr saying swisher has 7 teams intested and mentions 3/33. I gotta believe even the Yanks would be players at that level. Hard to believe there isn’t a team out there that would go to 5/70 or something in that range. Mariners perhaps.