Nov

Report(s): Yankees optimistic about signing Rivera this week

Via Ken Rosenthal and Joel Sherman: The Yankees are optimistic about finalizing a new contract for Mariano Rivera this week. It’s expected to be worth a little more than the $10-11M pact Andy Pettitte is close to signing.

Sherman notes the Yankees have been monitoring the health of both Rivera (knee) and Pettitte (leg) following their injuries, so the process of re-signing both will be expedited. With Hiroki Kuroda already in tow, the Yankees would be able to go into next week’s Winter Meetings with a clear shopping list (and budget) should they finalize new deals for Pettitte and Rivera within the next few days.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Jersey Joe says:

:) Could all of Martin, Ichiro, Pettitte, and Mo sign by the end of this week? If so, we just need lefty DH (dime-a-dozen), UT IF (slightly hard to find), and quality righty 4th OF (hard to find for cheap).

2. jjyank says:

Awesome news this morning, all of it. I’m a bit iffy on the Ichiro thing if he will be the starting right fielder, but I’m okay with it if he sits when struggling/against lefties. But the Pettitte and Mo stuff is really great to hear. I’m sure Cashman would love to finish that stuff up as soon as possible so he can turn his focus on the other, less obvious areas.

3. BallstonSean says:

Mike,
    Assuming Mo and Andy both resign around the $11m mark each, any idea where the current payroll figure stands? I’m curious as to how much left they have to fill the remaining holes.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Not Mike and I don’t have the current total, but this is 2013, not 2014, so there’s no team imposed cap at $189MM this upcoming season. Therefore, they can spend as much as they want and not put that $100MM in savings in jepardy.

4. tipsie says:

These signings are key & critical; but we need something more to be a better team next year. The same team (one year older) won’t get it done. I have to believe that Cash knows this. Again, one new “toy” for the 2013 season. Who?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Contact-to-All-Fields Elmo?

• Ted Nelson says:

It’s not likely to be the same team without Swisher, but the 2012 team won 95 games and could have easily beaten the Tigers if they got hot rather than ice cold at the right time.

I’m sure that they’re evaluating some big ticket options, and they will at least bring in some interesting guys for the DH/bench roles. I don’t think they need to get a toy for the sake of it, though. Has to be a good value.

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

I wan my son to witness Mariano Rivera coming out of the bullpen to “Enter Sandman” in person.

6. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Can’t wait to have this guy holding down the 9th again this year. Although Sori was very effective it just was not the same at all. I missed you Sandman.