Dec

McCarron: Eric Chavez plans to play next season

Via Anthony McCarron: Despite his annual flirtation with retirement, Eric Chavez is planning to play next season according to agent Scott Leventhal. “Chavy has no intention of retiring,” said Leventhal. “We have spoken to and met with multiple clubs regarding his future in baseball.”

Chavez, who turns 35 later this week, was a monster off the bench for the Yankees this season, hitting .281/.348/.496 (126 wRC+) with 16 homers in 313 plate appearances. They were very lucky he stayed relatively healthy all season, and although Chavez is a fine bench player, I’m not sure the Yankees should gamble on his body holding up again. McCarron says Leventhal declined comment when asked about which clubs they’ve met with.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. 23553 says:

Sounds like a plan.

2. YanksFanInBeantown says:

Might as well. It’s a one year contract and no other bench players have his upside.

3. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Lol mike, Plans to plan?

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Hell, I’d figure out a way to have him on retainer every season. One year, automatically renewable contract with mutual option.

#probablyillegal

5. mrdbag says:

God baseball is so tedious when. It comes to FA and trades everything is an act of congress. Trades and rumors just do something or don’t stop fucking around about it

6. forensic says:

Hit better than he had in almost a decade. A full season of ABs would’ve brought him near a career high in homers. But, I’m cutting ties with him after getting that bonus season out of him. I’m not sure he could survive another season, especially if he has to play near that many games again, and there’s no way I believe he could hit like that again, or even close to like that. I look for a fresh option for next year.

• Ted Nelson says:

Like who?

• forensic says:

It’s not my job as a fan to come up with the other options, it’s my job to have an opinion.

But, if you think it matters, there are plenty of other options such as a Drew, Scutaro, Keppinger, etc. who can do his job and more and don’t have the same injury and, somewhat, performance risks. There’s even the Mark Reynolds possibility, which while I’m not that hot on him, could be worth a shot.

• Laz says:

But the problem with all of those players is that they want to play everyday, and they are good enough to do so. Chavez is special because you don’t often find hitters of his caliber that are willing to take the low salary he does, and not play everyday. They might be able to get one of those players if they commit to playing them everyday.

• forensic says:

There’s also a Scott Rolen if he doesn’t retire or return to the Reds (actually, at this point, he’s almost the right-handed Chavez). Polanco is in the same sort of mold, but not a great option. Ian Stewart is there.

I would check out the non-tenders more closely too, but MLBTR’s link is broken.

• Ted Nelson says:

My point is that there might not be any better options.

The Yankees won’t carry just one back-up IF, so signing one of the first group doesn’t preclude re-signing Chavez. Reynolds is intriguing, but what’s he going to cost and can he even fake 3B for an extended period if A-Rod’s hurt?

• forensic says:

I know they won’t carry just one, but if they get one better all-around option, then you could get someone with more options in his game as the second guy, such as maybe someone with some speed to use late in games for PR’ing. Contrary to some prior years, they would be able to do that for whatever likely light-hitting C they have and the OF platooners, not to mention other possibilities if the right situation came up.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t know that a PR would be more valuable than a solid all-around player like Chavez. If he’s healthy and productive, he can contribute at 3B, 1B, DH, and PH. If he’s not, then someone like Nunez can be called up to take the role you suggest. Having some PH options would be nice if there’s a platoon in RF and/or a weak hitting C.

• Ted Nelson says:

That wasn’t meant to be a smartass comment, but a serious question. I don’t think they need Chavez at all, but I just wonder who else they can grab. Youklis and Reynolds might be too expensive. Can get someone versatile like Drew or Keppinger along with Chavez. Ian Stewart I find intriguing, but he’s no more a lock than Chavez I wouldn’t say. Who might be available via trade?

• forensic says:

Taking away the personal feelings, Youkilis would be a very intriguing option, but I have to think he’d manage to find a starting job elsewhere, though I guess that could be true of many of the guys listed.

• Preston says:

Sell him on the idea that it is a starting job, he’ll get 50+ games at 3B, maybe 10-15 at third and probably half of his games at DH. Plus he gets to stick it to the Sox 18 times next season. I don’t like the guy personally, but he’s a RHB with a little pop, tons of walks and some versatiity. I would really like that move, putting my man-crush for Mark Reynolds aside.

• Gonzo says:

I’m not sure, but he might have some Marcus Thames fall off in him, definitely.

• Gonzo says:

In the 4 seasons before this one:
      122 G’s 424 PA’s 390 AB’s
      .238/.288/.341/.629
      70 OPS+

Last time he had an OBP% as high as this year, 2006, age 28 season.
      Last time he had a SLG% as high as this year, 2004, age 26 season.

He turns 35 Friday.

7. Eli Whiteside says:

Well if we sign him it will decrease our average age since he is only 35 lol

8. Knoxvillain says:

I wish he would come back but I don’t see it happening. Good luck to him wherever he goes. I loved him this past year.

9. E. Chavez says:

The yanks havent even made a call.

10. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I’d quit while I was ahead with Chavez. They’re gonna likely need the backup 3rd basemen to play a fair amount of the time and I can’t see how they can count on him staying healthy again. He played as many games last year as the previous 4 seasons combined not to mention he had 5 homers in those 4 seasons compared to 16 last year.

If they do bring him back they better have plan B stashed away in AAA.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Absolutely have Plan B stashed away, but I think he’s worth the risk as long as he can avoid breaking down.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Not breaking down is the million dollar question. If you knew he’d be healthy, it would be a no brainer but he’s been about as durable as Samuel L Jackson in “Unbreakable”.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He stayed healthier than I bet you thought he would last season.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

No doubt I was surprised at his healthy and moreso with his power resurgence.

I’m not saying its impossible for him to stay healthy and productive again but do you think it’s likely?

If they can sign a good utility infielder like Keppinger who can play 3B, it could be a worthwhile gamble but I think the smart move would not to expect much out of him and hope he surprises again.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Yes he did.

Question is do you think it’s likely he stays healthy again? I’d say no based on the previous 4 years but no one really knows.

If they can sign a better utility infielder who can play 3B like Keppinger, it could be worth the gamble but I think the smart move would be to not expect much and hope he surprises like last year.

• forensic says:

This year was the first time since 2007 that he even broke a .690 OPS or approached a 90 OPS+.

Personally, I think performance is more of a question than you guys may be admitting.

• Jacob says:

Nah because he was pretty good for a back up in ’11 but he got hurt

• Gonzo says:

Not for nothing, but his good start in ’11 before he got hurt was a very good .834 OPS, but it was only in 39 PA’s and 33 AB’s.

• forensic says:

And even that was buoyed by his second game of the year which was a 3-5 with 2 doubles. After that through the end of that healthy period he was .259/.394/.333/.727. The OBP is ok, but even that includes 2 IBB’s. And thrown in there is only one XBH (a triple of all things, though I don’t remember anyone breaking their leg against him in that first month).

11. James A says:

So it seems like the Yankees are trying to find replacements for Andruw, Chavez, and Nix. I’ve seen Drew and Hairston thrown around, along with a lot of other names, but I don’t see why Chavez isn’t a good fit to fill the Chavez role. I guess you want someone more durable given A-Rod’s age, but he’s the best free agent option

12. Ted Nelson says:

I’d entertain some other options, but I also wouldn’t mind Chavez on the bench. They can add a Drew or Keppinger or Scutaro and still bring back Chavez.

13. Preston says:

If we actually get an upgrade for backup SS/3B over Nix/Nunez, then I’d rather not bring back Chavez and get Reynolds instead he is more likely to be healthy and produce offensively.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Good point about Reynolds since he also could help supply the much needed RH power.

• Jacob says:

And strikeouts, can never get enough of those ;P

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Isn’t the all time leader in K’s Reggie Jackson?
          81.4 career WAR.

I’d take another one of him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• forensic says:

Strikeouts aren’t the be all, end all, but can we please not try to compare Reynolds to Jackson? There are so many problems with that it’s not even funny.

• Preston says:

The comparison isn’t apt, but the fact that one of the best post-season hitters of all time sported a career K rate of 22.7 when league average was around 14% (it was almost 20% this year), makes this strikeout power guys can’t hit in the playoffs meme pretty silly.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Reynolds couldn’t carry Jackson’s jock and I wasn’t implying that he’s anywhere close to Jackson.

My point is that a player can have a high strikeout total and still be very valuable.

• Ted Nelson says:

What do you think Reynolds will cost?

• Preston says:

Well since he got non-tendered I think it’s safe to say he’ll make less than 9 million. Personally if I was the Yankees, I would have been willing to pay him that.

14. Remy says:

I think we should bring in Reynolds to platoon at DH and fill in at first and third. Also sign Ichiro and trade for a catcher. If not i pik cervelli. Clutch hitter. .270 in te majors. Jeter Ichiro cano Reynolds granderson arod tex catcher gardner ???

15. Remy says:

Well maybe trade for morse. Who else is gonna bat clean up? Arod tex and granderson can’t

• Gonzo says:

I thought the same thing, but people seem to think Morse might cost more than I think it will. So there’s that. I wouldn’t want to overpay for one year of Morse.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

All 3 are better options to bat 4th than Reynolds. Much better options.

• Ted Nelson says:

Reynolds had a 101 wRC+ against LHP and a 111 wRC+ against RHP last season. In 2011 it was 113, 118. Tex was at 129, 108 last season. Granderson at 104, 123. A-Rod at 152, 95.

Tex and ARod hit LHP much better, and Granderson hits RHP much better. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don’t.

• forensic says:

If I may ask, could you please use the reply button?

Granderson is a slightly better option at clean-up (at least against righties) but A-Rod and Tex are much better options almost no matter who is pitching.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Cano?

• forensic says:

He doesn’t use the reply button so it’s harder to follow, but he at least has Cano batting 3rd in his lineup from earlier.

16. Grover says:

Based on last season’s numbers, how much of a raise would Chavez command?

17. Chris says:

I’d like them to stay away from him this year. Now that A-Rod is out he will get the bulk of playing time which increases the chance he will get hurt by about 1,000,000,000%. I think Reynolds could be a nice option, play 1st and 3rd but his K rate is a little too high for a team with Granderson. I wonder if Swisher is now back in the conversation. Its clear A-Rod is breaking down and they are going to need above average players around him.