Dec

Open Thread: AL East soccer jerseys

I’m not much of a soccer guy, like at all, but even I have to admit these are pretty neat. Mark Willis, a web/graphic designer and soccer writer, put his talents together and came up with conceptual soccer jerseys for the five AL East teams. Apparently they’re actually called “kits,” so yeah. I highly recommend clicking the link because these things are pretty badass. Maybe I’m biased, but I like the New York design over the other four.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. There’s no NFL game tonight and neither the Knicks or Nets are playing either. You’re on your own for entertainment. Talk about whatever you like here. Go nuts.

[h/t HBT]

Categories : Open Thread

1. AJ Pierzynski to the Rangers on a 1 year deal?

Why theYanks couldn’t swing that is beyond me.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Shows how much they believe Romine is ready unless they make a trade.

• forensic says:

How can you even start to complain about it before you know how much money it is? What if they were tired of money burning a hole in their pocket and getting spurned by targets and gave him something like $15 million?

• RetroRob says:

Maybe they just don’t like him, from his catching skills to his personality. Always a possibility.

Or, maybe they did make an offer, but it was less than the Rangers.

Or, maybe he would rather play in Arlington than NY. (Having a hard time believing that myself, but who knows.)

• RetroRob says:

I thought Newman’s comments on Romine was interesting, describing him as a plus-plus defender. That’s not been his reputation, so either he has taken a step forward, or the previous evaluations by scouts by were wrong, or the Yankees are pumping him since they expect him to be a legit candidate for catcher or enhance his value for a possible trade.

2. jjyank says:

No interest in soccer at all, but I would buy that jersey if I could.

3. bobmac says:

Very metro

4. M.Willis says:

Flattered for the link, glad you liked it. I’m a Sox fan but the Yankees graphic identity is just incredible to design with. Hope you guys find that I gave it proper respect.

Best of luck w/ Youk btw!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Best of you luck to you, Mark. These are beautiful.

• jjyank says:

Rivalry aside, great to see fans from other teams visit here. You did a great job with those, and as I said above, I would pay money for the Yankee soccer jersey if I could.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Yeah dude, those things are kickass.

• MannyGeee says:

Really great stuff man! I am a fan

• Alkaline says:

Nice job with them. They’re sweet. And, good luck to your team next year. I feel baseball is in a better place when the Yanks and Sox could both live up to the rivalry.

Like JJ said, it’s nice to see fans of other teams chime in to get outside opinion. Heh, can you imagine a post by another team’s blogger on his take on the yanks and baseball moves in general?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Or “You’re a talented designer, we love the shirts, and really appreciate you sharing them with us. Best of luck to you. Let us know how last place feels again.”

;)

• CS Yankee says:

Great job!

Thought that the NYY sponsor would be Adidas as that seemed to be a key partner for them. The redo of the O’s was incredible and the Jays look quite cool and typical for a Futbol Kit. The Ray one would have finished in the cellar for me. Thought you nailed each sponsor.

Thanks for sharing, you’re an incredible talent.

5. Jake says:

I would buy one of those jerseys in a heartbeat.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

If Frankie Cervelli could wear this every day, he’d hit .800.

7. Pedro (from Brasil) says:

As a soccer fan one of the most beautiful jersey ever!!

8. Frank says:

Those are awesome mark. When/where can I buy one?

9. Jon Heyman ?@JonHeymanCBS

#yankees did NOT make an offer to AJ pierzynski. plan at present is to go with cervelli/stewart/romine

10. dkidd says:

anyone see zero dark thirty?

11. Pistol Pete says:

Wow, Pierzynski signs a one year deal and the Yanks can’t get him. We get to choose among Romine, a Double AA catcher with a bad back and two proven useless catchers in Cervelli and Stewart. So much for going all in for 2012 with aging but proven veterans to be competitive while still being under the 189 for 2013. Anyone know where the power is going to come from losing Arod Swisher and Martin in one year?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Probably mostly from Cano, Granderson, and Teixeira.

• MannyGeee says:

You actually get to choose between dealing with it or cheering for Los Doyers. Either way, common denominator is you not bitching with the same spoiled Yankee fan bullshit that makes every other fan of every other professional sport FUCKING HATE US.

so, thanks for that

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“Wow, Pierzynski signs a one year deal and the Yanks can’t get him.”

Or didn’t want to. Contrary to popular belief, not having the team sign the players you want them to sign does not constitute failure on their part.

12. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

I would purchase the Blue Jays kit for sure. I have a road Yankee jersey because I can wear it casually, but find the pinstripes too cartoonish to wear anywhere but a game.

13. The Real Greg says:

I actually kind of like what the Yankees are doing. The days of acquiring talent at a good age via free agency is done, with players being locked up early.

It’s time for the Yankees to see what their prospects have.

14. JJ says:

Damn I want one of these jerseys. How can we get these made?

15. MannyGeee says:

Worst Yankee Fan in the world says:

I actually like all of the soccer jerseys EXCEPT the Yankee one. I kind of agree with the comment above, the pinstripes are kinda tacky in this setting.

*hiding under desk*

16. dkidd says:

i love the blue jay kit, although i keep reading the sponsor as “pubix”

• dkidd says:

meant the rays kit

#bourbon

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ve been to plenty of Publix locations in my life and have zero issues with you calling it “Pubix.” It’s kinda deserved.

#IPA

• Knoxvillain says:

A Publix just opened up here in Knoxville. I waited over five years for it. After I left Florida it was all I missed. It opened up in August and it’s about 35 minutes away from where I live.

I have had about 15 subs since it’s opened and I am not ashamed.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Interesting. I thought they were purely Florida. I suppose you didn’t get the little Cuban coffee counter.

• Knoxvillain says:

I know for a fact that they’re in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina, but I’m not sure about anywhere else.

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

Surprised Van Slyke cleared waivers?

Disclaimer: I’d never heard of him before a couple of days ago.

• Carmine says:

Is it strange that the 2014 Yankees in my road to the show for MLB 12 have Freddie Freeman, Scott Van Slyke (DH), Rajai Davis, Mike Olt, Wil Myers, Jorge De La Rosa, and Jair Jurrjens? In addition they traded Derek Jeter to Detroit for Rick Porcello and Avisail Garcia.

It’s a phenomenal game but sometimes the front office decisions are just strange.

I was traded to the Rays and they just acquired Seth Smith, Derek Norris, and Chase Utley from the A’s for Jon Rauch and Jeff Keppinger.

• Carmine says:

Sorry Reply Fail.

• Havok9120 says:

From the way he got talked up on here and MLBTR, I am, yes. But my initial reaction is that he’s considered (by, you know, people who have actually seen him) to be more of a AAAA player than anything. We’ve seen how teh interwebz can obsess over a player all out of proportion to their actual worth.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That never happens. What are you talking about?

Know what drives me crazy? When I go to Cooperstown and can’t find the Ronnie Mustellier wing.

18. forensic says:

Watching Yankees Baseball Today and Flaherty just said they should go two years on Hairston and just greatly front-load the contract in the first year to avoid the luxury tax in the second year.

Is there anything he does well as an analyst??? Never understand why he’s still employed with them.

19. Jimmy says:

Deep thoughts on NHL lockout day #96….I’ve always thought of this one. If anyone cares to weigh in….

Player A: .307/.358/.471, 1 MVP, 0 WS, 39.8 bWAR
    Player B: .282/.382/.491, 0 MVP, 4 WS, 33.6 bWAR

For those who care, “B” lost three years of his prime to military service. My Dad and I spent hours arguing over this one, way before the Sabremetric stats were invented. I think I lost.

Have a great night all.

• forensic says:

A little context goes a long way, Jimmy. I was thinking it was maybe another DiMaggio/Williams comp for a second, but those numbers are way lower than anything they would put up. And I have no idea if those are career numbers or over a certain number of years.

• Jimmy says:

A = Don Mattingly
        B = Tommy Henrich

My favorite Yankee growing up vs my Dad’s. About 30 years later I finally bothered comparing the two statistically. Tommy Henrich had a pretty underrated career. Both players had sub-HoF careers, but Henrich could have done a lot more damage with those three years lost to the war.