Dec

Open Thread: Batting practice hats

Every few years all 30 MLB teams redesign their Spring Training/batting practice hat(s), and Paul Lukas at Uni Watch got his hands on the new versions set to debut next spring. The Yankees’ new lids are above, but those are just the home hats. The road hats have a gray bill and button. I’m not sure if I dig the whole two-tone hat/brim thing, but that’s the theme this time around. The Astros, Brewers (particularly the alternate), Reds, and Royals get a thumbs up from me, the Yankees just a “meh.” Not sure how someone actually gave those Braves hats the green light in 2012. They’ll generate an angry email or two.

Here is your open thread for the night. There’s no NFL game and neither of the basketball locals are playing, so you’re on your own for entertainment. Anything goes, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Countryclub says:

Davidoff tweeted that Yanks hired Don Wakamatsu as a scout.

2. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

If the brim is supposed to grey, I have no problem with it. Are they going to be New Era style, or the stretchy, curved brim style (wtf?)?

3. Craig says:

If the Braves will face controversy over their old logo, the Indians should year in and year out as well.

My favorite BP cap is probably Philly’s (done well, really simple), and I’m not too sure where Colorado is going with theirs. The Mets did a solid job with Mr. Met as well.

4. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Are the hats New Era style?

5. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Not trying to be PC but something doesn’t seem right when the Braves can have a cap with a red faced Indian plastered on the front meanwhile Ronan Tynan has been essentially banned from YS3 for making an joke about Jewish women.

6. RetroRob says:

Old is better.

The white color on the home hats is pretty bad. The gray on the road caps is better, but even that doesn’t work to me.

7. Matt Montero says:

I’m a huge fan of the retro look for the Brewers caps, probably my favorite.

8. Jimmy McNulty says:

Jim Bowden floated by a few ridiculous trade ideas:

Profar, Olt, and Perez for Stanton and Nolasco

CarGo for Rosenthal, Jay and Shelby Miller

Upton for Bogaerts, Barnes, and Brandon Jacobs

They’d be fun and make Madden sense but I don’t see any happening. Speaking of trades, I wonder what a guy like Willingham or Plouffe would cost.

9. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Just sitting here biding my time while the Yanks seem content to go off the Fiscal Cliff…

• JobaWockeeZ says:

If it means a better future than having only a high 80 win team isn’t the worst thing. Even if Cashman did something the same problems would resurface in a couple years.

Besides the AL East is nothing like it once was. Maybe there’s more parity but with parity comes a lack of greatness.

• jjyank says:

“Even if Cashman did something the same problems would resurface in a couple years.”

I tend to agree with this. I’m not accepting that the Yankees won’t contend, even with the new budget, but staying away from free agents that could burden the team in 2-3 years seems like a prudent strategy, given the current roster construction.

I am all for what seems to be the current strategy: find the best band aids possible and hope the farm pans out. Giving Ichiro a second year slightly hampers that in my opinion, but it’s not a huge deal. But patching things up with Pettitte, Kuroda, Youkilis, and scrap heapers like Eppley, Rapada, Diaz, etc. to buy time to see what we really have in Williams, Heathcott, Sanchez, Austin, Banuelos, Campos, DePaula, etc. makes a lot of sense to me.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Budget limits or not, this franchise was going to have to find its identity again right at the middle of this decade once what was left of the core moved towards retirement. Absolutely agree.

• pat says:

Cutting back on spending is going off the Fiscal Cliff?

10. MannyGeee says:

I really like the Astros and Brewers Throwback caps.

11. Jacob says:

Thank you based god, I hated the old hats tbh

12. DERP says:

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Fangraphs layout?

13. trr says:

anything to squeeze a few more bucks from the fans

14. pat says:

Ken Tremendous shout out on 30 Rock right now, hah.

15. KeithK says:

Getting rid of the stupid striping on the hats is a big win. But then, why oh why can’t they just wear their regular caps for batting practice?

• Laz says:

I like it because teams get to try different style logos/caps out, and see how they work.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, and it gives fans something else to buy/wear if they want something different. Every Yankee fan and his/her mother has a navy blue cap with the white NY logo. It’s nice to have something different to wear. Hell, I jumped all over the 1912 throwback caps they did last year. I wear that more often than my regular one, just because I like a different look.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yup. Happens everywhere. My dad still rocks a bright orange Dolphins Chris Chambers jersey.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Your father is violating rule number 6.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He frequently violates #’s 1, 2, 4, and 10 as well.

• jjyank says:

“By wearing a jersey, you are waiving your rights to any sexual activity for the evening. No woman in history has ever said, ‘Oooh, that guy wearing the jersey of another man! That’s hot!’”

Um, false. I’ve gotten laid twice when at a college party with my Cano jersey on.

Most of those “rules” are rather stupid, to be honest.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Then maybe you should put it back on and head over to GWU. Sounds like you need to get laid.

I actually thought the one about a guy 100 lbs overweight wearing a DeSean Jackson jersey was pretty funny.

• jjyank says:

They weren’t all stupid. Just most.

And to be clear, I never got laid because of a jersey. But it’s insanely ridiculous to claim that you forfeit sexual activity by wearing one.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I’m pretty sure they were written tongue in cheek rather than rules to live by.

I don’t particularly like Rick Reilly but thought this was mildly amusing.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes, but he wrote in “‘s fibula” in magic marker on the back of his jersey. That’s poon repellant.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Looking back, wearing the matching pants and spikes didn’t help either.

• Jacob says:

Some of them were funny but overall it sounded like a man who was always left without a jersey when he was a child and so he forever hated jerseys. “It is like wearing a band t-shirt of the band you are going to see, it is much cooler to wear a different band” that makes no sense!

• JohnnyDaMan says:

Same here I jump on unique Yankee hats, bought the 1912 as soon as it went online, and I love collecting hats with side patches.

16. Robinson Tilapia says:

Astros, A’s, Brewers alternate (love the old-school logo), Mets, assymetric Rays are my favorites.

The Yankees design bores me to tears, but at least it’s not that vomit-inducing Marlins design.

17. I would have just done the all navy hat, I assume they’ll be made out of the same fabric as the previous BP caps, so it won’t be exactly like the game caps.

I’m actually surprised all the teams aren’t wearing grapefruite/catcus league 2013 ST patches on the left side.

18. LitFig says:

I like most of the BP caps and hope they use some of them in games.

I know the Braves and Indians have to tread lightly with the Native American logos, but I like the Braves caps. Still love the standard “A” caps.

The Yankee one is boring, but the Yankees logo has always been simple and boring. It adds a certain charm I suppose.

19. LitFig says:

As long as the rid themselves of those wack ass spring training/BP caps of the past few years, I’m good with it.

20. pete says: