Dec

Wednesday Night Open Thread

Well, the White Christmas came a day late. It’s snowy and haily and sloppy in the Tri-State area, so stay safe out there if you’re driving or anything. Even walking on the sidewalk sucks in these conditions. Talk about whatever you like here, enjoy.

[video link in case the embed doesn't work]

Categories : Open Thread

1. Andruw Jones says:

Seems someone didn’t have a very good Christmas.

2. Jacob says:

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!

3. Jacob says:

I have been looking at movies coming in 2013 and my god this summer is going to drain my wallet.

• Pat D says:

Yea, I saw a story yesterday covering just May, which is packed to the gills. And that’s just May.

• LitFig says:

What’s coming out?

If I had to guess, there’s a Transformers movie, an Avengers movie of some sort, and Superman….am I missing anything else?

• RetroRob says:

Guess it depends on what type of movies you like. Lots of big-budget films coming in the first half, from Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Kick Ass II, Star Trek Into Darkness, etc. I didn’t see a Transformers or Avengers movie listed, but I might have missed it, or maybe they haven’t assinged a date yet. Or maybe it’s 2014. Probably is, since Avengers came out in 2012 and there’s usually a two- to three-year gap between releases.

Like most adult males, I still have an adolescent side of me that I sometimes let out, so I have high hopes for this movie coming in January:

• Pat D says:

Saw the trailer for that last night and I was floored. There’s so many people in it. Sadly, it also looks like it’s trying to do too much, which probably means it’s not any good.

• RetroRob says:

That is quite possible. It’s a series of unrelated shorts, which could be a strength or a weakness. It could just turn into something mediocre, with some good and some bad. Probably the biggest potential red flag is the movie was shot well over two years ago. I heard it referenced a few times, but it didn’t have a title. That could mean it was having issues.

I’ll remain hopeful. One of the Farrelly brothers is heavily involved and there is a ton of talent in the movie.

• Pat D says:

Next May alone will feature Iron Man 3, The Great Gatsby, Star Trek Into Darkness, Fast and Furious 6, The Hangover Part III, and a CGI movie called Epic. There’s also a Tyler Perry movie.

June will see After Earth (Will Smith post-apocalyptic Earth movie, which comes about two months after the similar Tom Cruise starring Oblivion), The Internship (Vince Vaughn/Owen Wilson team-up), Man of Steel, This Is the End (bunch of stars playing themselves facing the apocalypse), World War Z, Monsters University, Kick-Ass 2 and White House Down (Roland Emmerich-directed flick about White House being taken over by paramilitary group).

Then in July…you’ve got The Lone Ranger, Despicable Me 2, Grown Ups 2, Pacific Rim (Guillermo Del Toro’s take on Japanese monster movies), Turbo (another CGI animated movie), R.I.P.D. (Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges as undead cops trying to get creatures to go to the other side), The Conjuring (another supernatural thriller), The Wolverine (yes, that Wolverine) and The Smurfs 2.

I know I hear a lot of people say they’re sick of comic book movies. It’s getting to the point that those are the only movies I’m not sick of these days. There seems to be another supernatural thriller or post-apocalyptic movie of some kind opening every other month.

• Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

So, by my math I will be wasting $112.5+tax on movies this summer. I don’t expect The Lone Ranger or World War Z to be good but I’m going to see them.

4. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Oh Carl Pavano that piece of shit.

I would like to see Gardner take over CF duties this year.

5. Deep Thoughts says:

D.J. Mitchell DFA’d:

He’s no George Kontos, but…

6. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Cashman should sign the recently released from prison Ugueth Urbina to a minor league contract.

After all, you can never have enough guys named Ugueth who are also handy with a machete.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hey, Oogie had quite the year for the Marlins back in the day. It wouldn’t surprise me if they actually took a look.

• RetroRob says:

Signing someone who tried to machete someone to death while also setting them on fire seems wrong, even if they did serve their time.

Yet in Urbina’s case, I was never convinced he was guilty. Still think he was framed and probably there was attempted blackmail. Maybe he finally put up the money, which is why he was set free.

Or maybe he’s guilty!