Jan

Cashman: Romine likely to start 2013 in Triple-A

Via Anthony McCarron: Brian Cashman said he expects Austin Romine to start the season in Triple-A while Frankie Cervelli and Chris Stewart handle catching duties at the big league level. “I expect Romine to go to Triple-A,” said the GM. “He missed all of last year, almost … I don’t expect him to be our everyday catcher out of the gate. He always has the possibility of taking it, but realistically, if I were in prediction mode, I’d say Triple-A. But he has a chance to alter that.”

Romine, 24, was recently praised by some of the organization’s higher-ups for his defense. That’s all well and good, but the fact remains that he has caught just 107 games over the last two seasons due to back injuries. He also has just 106 plate appearances above the Double-A level. Sending Romine back to Triple-A so he could play everyday is the right move for his development, I just wish the alternatives for the big league catching roles were better.

Categories : Asides

1. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

That makes sense.

It’s pie in the sky optimism to think that a guy who has had almost no success at AAA and barely played last year is going to be Yankees starting catcher and it would make no sense to stunt his development having him be the backup.

• trr says:

Regretfully, must agree.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Don’t fret, having to endure this unholy trio of catchers is going to make us appreciate Gary Sanchez all the more.

• Travis L. says:

I have to be honest, I’ve been pulling for Cervelli to get a shot at being the starter for a long time now. I hope he does well and is able to be our starter until Sanchez or at least JR Murphy is ready.

• dalelama says:

“Romine, 24, was recently praised by some of the organization’s higher-ups for his defense.”

Translation— “Can’t hit a lick.”

2. LK says:

It’s funny, for so many years many of the fans seemed like they didn’t appreciate how good Posada was. Then we had 2 years of Martin, and it all became clear. Now, many fans don’t seem to appreciate what Martin brought to the table, and that’s about to become clear with this Cervelli/Stewart probable disaster. You really have to hand it to Cashman, he knows how to make sure his former catchers are remembered fondly.

3. W.B. Mason Williams says:

Cashman found some back issues in his salad, so he sent it back.

4. Yankee insider says:

I love cervellis offense and chris Stewarts defense but I think Stewart will start opening day since him and CC are always together. But I feel like Romine could possibly have a big breakout year and if ge does good in ’13 and ’14 we could prob cut A rod make Gary Sanchez or Romine a 1st baseman (prob Sanchez because he has a little bigger build) and make Tex a DH/1B and put David Adams at third. Of course this wouldn’t be until 2014 or 2015 but why push it back a year Sanchez will be ready by 2014-2015 and romine is ready now.

• MannyGeee says:

“cervellis offense”
      “chris Stewarts defense”

What team have YOU been watching?

• Ted Nelson says:

I think that’s a pretty legitimate comment. I remember Stewart grading out very well in pitch framing, though I don’t have it in front of me. Cervelli is a respectable hitter for a C.

5. RetroRob says:

Makes sense, although if the kid has a big Spring Training, they may still give him the job.

My guess, though, is he goes down to AAA for a couple months, shows his back is ok, and if he hits even reasonably well, the Yankees call him up to share with Cervelli, and DFA Stewart.

• jsbrendog says:

does cervelli have options? if so he’d go down so they don’t lose stewart. if not then you’re prob right

• RetroRob says:

I’m pretty sure they burned Cervelli’s last option in 2012, so neither Stewart or Cervelli can be sent to the minors without being exposed to being claimed.

• Ted Nelson says:

They might prefer Stewart, unless Cervelli improved his receiving skills considerably last season. Cervelli graded out as one of the worst framers in baseball as I recall, and Stewart as one of the best.

• Tom says:

You’ve now repeated this enough people make actually start accepting it.

You also “recalled” Pierzynski being bad at it.

Link please.

6. MartinRanger says:

I think this makes perfect sense. And if he marinates well, I could definitely see him as the opening day catcher in 2014 – and be okay with that.

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

I think nothing is set in stone, but this would be the smartest thing to go with at first if, as stated above, the others are out of options and Austin still has not been back at a full-time schedule for very long.

The best option will rise to the top here, no matter who starts where.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Exactly.

Plus the difference between any of these three and another over a 1, 10 or 30 game span isn’t enormous…but not burning one of Romine’s options could be larger than erroneously DFA’ing Stewart prematurely.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Right. People may not think Stewart is any great shakes, but he’s still too useful a piece to be DFA fodder at this point in time.

Also, George Kontos fans would collectively cry one big fat Greek tear.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Don’t forget how Youkalis would have felt so much more at home with another greek on the roster.

8. trr says:

Come June, when neither Cervelli nor Stewart are hitting their weight, we may be forced to make a move

9. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

They just want to delay Romine’s arb clock to make sure he’s not a Super Two!

10. Matt DiBari says:

I still don’t believe that a team that supposedly thinks so highly of catching defense would allow Francisco Cervelli to be a starting or semi-starting catcher. That makes no sense. Something is up.

11. BigLoving says:

Wasn’t the only issue with Cervellis defense bc of him having trouble making throws in 2011? I could be mistaken but he seemed fine in all other aspects behind the plate besides playing catch with Grandy in CF whenever someone stole 2nd.

12. 42isNotMortal says:

Remember when the Yanks had fluttenous prospect depth at C?

Jesus – cast away.
    Romine – Injuries stunting potential.
    Sanchez – the lone hopeful survivor.

13. 42isNotMortal says:

Gluttenous*

14. Pistol Pete says:

How good is Romine if he can’t beat out Stewart or Cervelli for catcher. Our catching really stinks.