2012 Record: 95-67 (804 RS, 668 RA, 96-66 pythag. record), won AL East, swept in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- Hal Steinbrenner confirmed that the plan to get under the $189M luxury tax threshold in 2014 is not a one-time thing; they’re going to stay at that level going forward.
- The Yankees have interest in Mike Morse after the Nationals re-signed Adam LaRoche, but there is “nothing alive” in talks right now. The two sides will talk at some point. New York is also willing to meet the asking price for Justin Upton.
- The Yankees are pessimistic about signing Scott Hairston and would not consider re-signing Rafael Soriano to a one-year contract. They do not have interest in Jim Thome, but they have checked in on Grady Sizemore and Ben Francisco. They’ve also been monitoring Javy Vazquez’s winter ball starts.
- Injury News: Alex Rodriguez (hip) will have surgery this week and is likely out until the All-Star break. CC Sabathia (elbow) started his throwing program and has lost 20 lbs. Derek Jeter (ankle) is out of a walking boot but has yet to resume baseball activities. Frankie Cervelli (whiplash) is fine after getting hit by a foul tip in winter ball.
- The Yankees released Chris Dickerson after designating him for assignment last week. Eduardo Nunez would go back to being a utility player if he makes the team out of Spring Training.
- Marcus Thames is the new hitting coach for High-A Tampa. The Yankees rank 11th in Baseball America’s preliminary farm system rankings.
- Andy Pettitte will pitch for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic in a few weeks.
- MLB will begin in-season blood testing for HGH this coming season.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)